• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oof.

3 months, 1 day and 4 hours to go.

The countdown timer is just counting down to the store update of the day. With any luck it'll unlock in AU/NZ first, like Watch Dogs... but hopefully with a preceding pre-load period longer than ~12 hours.

I thought codes generated for a steam version didn't give Valve a cut either though? Only purchases through the steam store itself.

Yeah, Valve doesn't see a cent from keys.

wagamer

If they're trash, noone will take them and no harm done :p
That's exactly what my take on the subject is. With modbot (and basic rules) if the game is redeemed, it most certainly goes to someone who wants it. Might be a game someone missed on a bundle, or hasn't come around buying because isn't sure if the game's worthy of even a low price. Or someone who just can't afford the game. Just like you said, no harm done if no one's interested.

Beelzebubs

I'll keep you two in my next time someone asks. I can't play it though far too much work for my laziness when it comes to playing games.

I guess they really don't like the 30% cut steam takes. Even though you know that's where they get most of their sales.
EDIT: keys don't do that so I have no clue what TT is thinking.

Depends where you play, my main is on EU but have an NA smurf stuck in Silver hell.

L.O.R.D

Season Two is a Telltale Code. Be aware.
supu.gif

what do you mean "Telltale Code" ?
not steam code ?

Grief.exe

I thought codes generated for a steam version didn't give Valve a cut either though? Only purchases through the steam store itself.

This is correct. Steamworks allows developers to generate unlimited keys for free.

Whatever Telltale's motivations for not selling Steam keys, I would imagine only causes frustration with consumers.

Zafir

At least with The Wolf Among Us they gave Steam keys though. I'd pre-ordered it through telltale since it was cheaper, and they actually gave a Steam key to me. The Walking Dead Season 2 on the other hand, also had a lot of issues with their drm on launch, and they didn't give Steam keys to anyone despite that version working and theirs didn't.

Turfster

Games Republic is doing a Devolver Digital publisher week:
  • Luftrausers 30% off
  • Defense Technica 75% off
  • Marc Ecko's Getting Up 75% off

JaseC

They already had their own service before TWD S01. Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Wallace and Gromit and other games could've been bought from them. TWD S01 was the first (and only) game of theirs that required Steam.

Don't TellTale's pre-TWD games use SecuROM as opposed to TellTale's own DRM? To the best of my knowledge the latter didn't come about until after TWD.

Parsnip

That sounds like the amount of time one would spend in their AssCreed save file once UPlay deletes it.
I think I'm lucky in that uplay hasn't eaten my saves, yet.

The countdown timer is just counting down to the store update of the day. With any luck it'll unlock in AU/NZ first, like Watch Dogs... but hopefully with a preceding pre-load period longer than ~12 hours.
But I'm not in AU/NZ, pff.

I should arrange a week off from work for ACU release, seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Zafir

Don't TellTale's pre-TWD games use SecuROM as opposed to TellTale's own DRM? And I was in no way suggesting that TellTale's previous games were Steamworks.
Pretty sure they did have telltales DRM if you downloaded it directly from Telltale. They also always required you to log in with your telltale account before being able to play.

Dr Dogg

But I'm not in AU/NZ, pff.

I should arrange a week off from work for ACU release, seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I used Spotflux and unlocked Watch_Dogs the moment it went up in AUS. Then about 2 mins later it went up for preload in every other region so was only a small gain into to getting it downloaded.

Don't TellTale's pre-TWD games use SecuROM as opposed to TellTale's own DRM? And I was in no way suggesting that TellTale's previous games were Steamworks.

I always logged into them using my TellTale account, they may well have used SecuROM too. I know the collectors DVD of Sam and Max used SecuROM while Monkey Island's one was DRM-Free.

JaseC

Pretty sure they did have telltales DRM if you downloaded it directly from Telltale. They also always required you to log in with your telltale account before being able to play.
I always logged into them using my TellTale account, they may well have used SecuROM too. I know the collectors DVD of Sam and Max used SecuROM while Monkey Island's one was DRM-Free.

Ah, so TWAU is just the point where a TellTale account became mandatory if you bought it on the PC outside of Steam? The more you know.

Parsnip

I used Spotflux and unlocked Watch_Dogs the moment it went up in AUS. Then about 2 mins later it went up for preload in every other region so was only a small gain into to getting it downloaded.

Had to bump my internet speed down couple months ago, so I would certainly welcome a lengthier pre-load. It's not easy to go back to 10/1 once you are used to 100/5 speeds. :\

JaseC

Had to bump my internet speed down couple months ago, so I would certainly welcome a lengthier pre-load. It's not easy to go back to 10/1 once you are used to 100/5 speeds. :\

If the pre-load isn't live by the time the game leaks on to the 'net, then you can download a cracked version to use as a pre-load. It generally works to some extent.

- Download said cracked version and install it somewhere on your Steam drive
- Once the game has unlocked on Steam, check SteamDB for the installation folder name
- Create a folder with the above name in steamapps\common
- Move the cracked data into the folder you created
- Install the game on Steam and let the client "discover the existing files"

If you have a download quota to worry about, though, I'd recommend against this approach, just in case it doesn't work -- you wouldn't want to download 20GB+ only to find that Steam disapproves of all of the data.

Edit: I've no idea if such a workaround would be viable for the actual Uplay version. The only game I've bought for Uplay itself is Tintin.

saunderez

If the pre-load isn't live by the time the game leaks on to the 'net, then you can download a cracked version to use as a pre-load. It generally works to some extent.

This didn't work for me for the UPlay version of watch_dogs. What a waste of 20GB that was.....

The files were there but they weren't in whatever manifest UPlay uses so they were promptly deleted and redownloaded.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So my friends goaded me into trying Rayman Origins again (via Family Sharing of course) and I was taking my time doing everything except the speedruns until that snake level in the second world where you are pushed forward constantly. I promptly deleted the game again. The level design in these main games is incredibly irritating.

JaseC

This didn't work for me for the UPlay version of watch_dogs. What a waste of 20GB that was.....

Neither, but it did work for me with AssCreed Revs way back when (to what extent I can't recall, but I do know that I didn't have to re-download everything).

Parsnip

- Download said cracked version and install it somewhere on your Steam drive
- Once the game has unlocked on Steam, check SteamDB for the installation folder name
- Create a folder with the above name in steamapps\common
- Move the cracked data into the folder you created
- Install the game on Steam and let the client "discover the existing files"

If you have a download quota to worry about, though, I'd recommend against this approach, just in case it doesn't work -- you wouldn't want to download 20GB+ only to find that Steam disapproves of all of the data.

Edit: I've no idea if such a workaround would be viable for the actual Uplay version. The only game I've bought for Uplay itself is Tintin.

Never had a quota, hopefully never will. But yeah, I have considered this whole thing in the past, but never had a real reason to. Here's hoping I wont need to this time either.

In some cases in the past it would take me more time to decrypt the pre-load data, than it would have taken to actually wait for the release and download it then.

#firstworldproblems hashtags are cool.

saunderez

Neither, but it did work for me with AssCreed Revs way back when (to what extent I can't recall, but I do know that I didn't have to re-download everything).

You're lucky. Me and a friend were 0 for 2, we both tried different methods and I tried a few times but in the end gave up and let it download the 20GB again. Only another 3-4 hours of waiting before I could actually play the game. Lucky I've got unlimited downloads.

Benedict

Is there any site that has a good list of what IAP for FTP-games that has been "given away" in bundles, ie groupees, Humble etc.

Tizoc

So my friends goaded me into trying Rayman Origins again (via Family Sharing of course) and I was taking my time doing everything except the speedruns until that snake level in the second world where you are pushed forward constantly. I promptly deleted the game again. The level design in these main games is incredibly irritating.
Seriously dude? That sounds like rage quitting to me, no offense.
I loved the stage designs in Rayman Origins and that was hardly the hardest part in the game.

JaseC

You're lucky. Me and a friend were 0 for 2, we both tried different methods and I tried a few times but in the end gave up and let it download the 20GB again. Only another 3-4 hours of waiting before I could actually play the game. Lucky I've got unlimited downloads.

20GB would take me 10 hours at my current sync speed. :( It's actually gotten worse since work on the NBN began here a few months ago -- go figure. Speaking of pre-loads, though, I still can't believe that there wasn't one for Wolf14 and its whopping 40GB download. Here's hoping Bethesda doesn't drop the ball again with The Evil Within.

Knurek

Strongest point of my Rayman Origins playthrough were the teeth chase levels.
Everything else was pretty much piss easy.

Dr Dogg

Is that the one with the collapsing structures and rising sand? Yeah I own Origins on Vita and PC and stopped shortly after there with both and not really got back to it. Saying that I own 3 copies of Legends and have only done the first world and only a bit of the second. I put it down to having a short attention span as to why I've made little progress.

Jawmuncher

Rayman O&L have been my favorite platformers in a long time. Since I like the balance of speed and platforming they have. Not too fast like sonic and easier to maneuver when going fast than when I play Mario.

Though I can see how some of the levels can be a pain especially for someone who plays the games like you do where they are trying to explore everything.

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh I'm so confused, I've put in around 17 hours now since the reset on Wednesday playing CS:GO in Casual and Comp, and still haven't had a single drop, case or skin. All I've gotten this week are my mission skins (not even missions have dropped for me either). I'm just confused by all this and I feel like I just have the worst luck ever :(

saunderez

20GB would take me 10 hours at my current sync speed. :( It's actually gotten worse since work on the NBN began here a few months ago -- go figure.

I lucky as far as ADSL goes, I'm about 1.5 blocks from the exchange so I sync around 20Mbit. Max out at 2.1-2.2MB/s with a decent multi stream source. I'll never get NBN here though, I live in a small town and we were scheduled for 2016 but that's never going to happen now. I'm not even likely to get better speeds on the MTM because I'm close enough to the exchange to basically max out ADSL so I'd rather they do nothing at all at this point.

Just beat the Mothership Zeta expansion to Fallout 3. It was fun for an hour but it did feel like it dragged on near the end. At least I got some OP loot though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sorry for the dumb question but where do I find Idlemaster? I searched a bit and couldn't find instructions, only people talking about using it.

Indiegale Monday is up:

• Omegladon
  • Helldorado
  • Guise of the Wolf
  • Diamond Dan
  • Gianna Sisters
  • Robot Rescue Revolution
  • Koala Kids (Greenlight)

They keep sneaking the price up each week! $1.79

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Seriously dude? That sounds like rage quitting to me, no offense.
I loved the stage designs in Rayman Origins and that was hardly the hardest part in the game.

It's not rage quitting, it's deleting a game that you are wasting your time having no fun playing. I pretty much 100%d both mobile games so it's not as much an issue of difficulty as it is irritating and bullshit design. If you have patience for that, that's great. I have better platformers in my collection I still haven't beaten though that are worth my time.

Extras:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-45D8DE169394B9BD - Taken by L.O.R.D
Robot Rescue Revolution -- MB-B60BDB4E3449F7E5 - Taken by Benedict

Tizoc

It's not rage quitting, it's deleting a game that you are wasting your time having no fun playing. I pretty much 100%d both mobile games so it's not as much an issue of difficulty as it is irritating and bullshit design. If you have patience for that, that's great. I have better platformers in my collection I still haven't beaten though that are worth my time.

Hmm well sad to see you didn't enjoy it, it was my GotY when it released, although I will say that Legends' rendition of those stages are better.

Saty

Month-old games in bundles. If there's going to be any collapse in sales of new games and increase it 'wait for heavy discount\bundle' behavior then you know who to point at.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams -- MB-EC50256FBA28360C - Taken by Emperor_EL. 2 entrants total.
Diamond Dan -- MB-3394E26B55FC6900 - Taken by Knurek. 4 entrants total.
Guise Of The Wolf -- MB-C46C1B64EFAF8925 - Taken by Hugstable. 1 entrants total.
Omegalodon -- MB-914F7BB583D2709B - Taken by Kuroyume. 5 entrants total.

t1407165158z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom