• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
I think they just hate piracy, that's all. Their "direct updates & patches" policy works for DA Inquisition. Though the game was cracked once back then, it's now unpirateable again due to the constant updates & patches. The game was not really cracked anyway, the group just made a temporary private server for the game. And now they aren't taking any more risks, always online is the way to go to fight piracy for them. Imho.

And it works right? Latest report stated that PC is the 2nd most profitable platform for them.

The game is always online on consoles too, it's not a decision made with PC as the focus.

zkylon

zkylewd
The game is always online on consoles too, it's not a decision made with PC as the focus.
yeah i think it's a pretty crazy leap of logic to think that dragon age inquisition being hard to pirate translates into that many sales. i'd say buying popcap is one pretty huge fucking reason why pc is so big for ea lol

also constant updates are meant to fight used sales, not piracy afaik, tho it probably doesn't hurt

jediyoshi

Mxs6nBL.png

must resist. windows 10 what have you done to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah that esports earnings site is so useless for league that it's funny

like all the top league of legends players earned roughly the same amount of money cos they're all world champions (so like bebe from taipei assassins in season 2, faker from skt in s3, imp from samsung white in s4), and their earnings is like their share from the world championships and change

like faker, the best player ever in league of legends history that turned down a 1m buyout offer from a chinese team supposedly only earned 300k from world championships and that's it for him. a guy that's sponsored by like a dozen things and goes on tv and stuff

it's silly

don't insult my pretty koreans pls

they're as perfectly rich as i want them to be

-MD-

Been playing Yaiba since yesterday and am really liking it, it certainly doesn't deserve the reviews it got.

Soulflarz

Banned
Funny you should mention that, I ordered this mic like 2 weeks ago and it came in today, it's a cheap generic mic from China but it works surprisingly well, only $2.42.

http://www.dx.com/p/mini-clip-on-microphone-7080#.Vcb3arVVhBc

Hm. May go with this in the morning (I mean, I will if no one posts an alternative and swears by it)
Thanks!

I just use the one on my webcam. It seems to work ok. Granted, I don't really use voice chat very often.

Didn't buy a webcam with my pc since I'll just use my laptop or ipod/phone if I need to skype >_>

What even is this anyway?

Crossyroads!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
lol hadn't noticed, that's pretty funny

i have no issue with ppl liking fo3 more and telling me it's better than new vegas, but i'll fight them until it's no longer fun for anyone if they do >:3

You keep fighting that good fight.

Soulflarz

Banned
Crossy Road, frogger clone, mobile GOTF. Got ported to the win store at some point

My mobile GOTF has to be some port like TWEWY:Solo Remix.
Do ports count?

Also FO3>FO:NV because while NV might be a little better if you haven't played either, going in order New Vegas feels more of the same in a bad way. And this is coming from someone who adored FO3. I'll see how I like it when I play the PC version next time it hits $5.

Until then, *orders Project Mirai DX and IA/VT, waits for MGS5 to hit $30*

zkylon

zkylewd
why hasn't there been a legit deus ex-like game with the gits license

i'm the person number a billion to say it but i still feel like saying it lol

Also FO3>FO:NV because while NV might be a little better if you haven't played either, going in order New Vegas feels more of the same in a bad way. And this is coming from someone who adored FO3. I'll see how I like it when I play the PC version next time it hits $5.
that's the thing, if you're a person that only played fo3 and liked it then play new vegas it's the same thing but a little different because u probably don't have the background or the interest to appreciate the things that make new vegas great

if you're a person that played the first two fallout games and then play fallout 3 you feel like everything you loved is being warped and deformed into a monstruous abomination of familiar names and faces

but if you then play new vegas you can see some light and hope, like the fallout spirit can shine through the shittiest of engines and the shittiest of gameplay and still become something beautiful and inspiring

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
why hasn't there been a legit deus ex-like game with the gits license

i'm the person number a billion to say it but i still feel like saying it lol

I'd guess because such a marriage between east and west would be too awesome to ever be. I'd also say, maybe somewhat superficially, that GITS lends itself more towards an action setting than Deus Ex's RPG/Stealth mechanics would support. But maybe that'll change with Mankind Divided. It's a shame it'd probably be impossible to a full conversion mod with it.

I'm always reminded of how unexpectedly awesome that PSX GITS game was where you played as a rookie Tachikoma pilot. That game had no right to be as cool as it was.

that's the thing, if you're a person that only played fo3 and liked it then play new vegas it's the same thing but a little different because u probably don't have the background or the interest to appreciate the things that make new vegas great

if you're a person that played the first two fallout games and then play fallout 3 you feel like everything you loved is being warped and deformed into a monstruous abomination of familiar names and faces

Literally, in Harold's case.

but if you then play new vegas you can see some light and hope, like the fallout spirit can shine through the shittiest of engines and the shittiest of gameplay and still become something beautiful and inspiring

I remember ranting to my brother about how Fallout 1's half-assed hacked in follower system managed to be more robust than Fallout 3s, to say nothing of the dialog trees.

And now they're going with a gamepad dialog wheel and a voiced protagonist. I'm looking forward to the game, but I can't pretend that shit isn't like a punch to the gut. Just complete anathema to what I love about Fallout. Never, ever was there a point in those games where I wanted fewer, vaguer dialog options and to have to wait for more voice acting.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Steam's "add a friend" dialogue sucks. Imagine you meet someone, know their name (but it's somewhat common), don't know their username, but know their city of residence. How do you search for them? (Answer: You ask them what their Steam username or email is and add them that way). Weird that the results will display their city of residence, but you can't search by it.

-MD-

I know. Can you believe it?

I read the camera was like 2x zoomed in on the console versions? I could see how that would suck.

Don't really understand how someone could give it a 3/10 though, that doesn't make sense to me. Gamesrader voted it in their top 100 worst games of all time? Come on now.

Eila

Steam's "add a friend" dialogue sucks. Imagine you meet someone, know their name (but it's somewhat common), don't know their username, but know their city of residence. How do you search for them? (Answer: You ask them what their Steam username or email is and add them that way). Weird that the results will display their city of residence, but you can't search by it.
Just tried it out and it does show the results from your country first, but that's kind of useless if you're from he US.
There's also the steam profile url, and the facebook link. More filters would be nice, I guess.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Valve killed off the ability to search for friends via e-mail (and account name) a couple of years ago, presumably due to security concerns.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Yeah, definitely. Almost every "social" aspect of Steam seems like an afterthought. The fact that you have to resort to actually emailing a person or contacting them IRL to be able to find them on Steam is pretty ridiculous.

Their community search may have worked for them when there were only a few million users(?) but it certainly isn't very useful anymore.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd guess because such a marriage between east and west would be too awesome to ever be. I'd also say, maybe somewhat superficially, that GITS lends itself more towards an action setting than Deus Ex's RPG/Stealth mechanics would support. But maybe that'll change with Mankind Divided. It's a shame it'd probably be impossible to a full conversion mod with it.
i duno, i think it would go pretty well with a more actiony approach like dishonored.

i really wish deus ex itself tried to mimic the intensity of fighting against other augmented people. like they can also turn invisible, hack your vision, pull out machineguns out of EVERYWHERE, turn their limbs into explosives, etc.

and at the same time i love the idea of like hacking people. i think that syndicate fps game had something like that, so maybe i should play it

I'm always reminded of how unexpectedly awesome that PSX GITS game was where you played as a rookie Tachikoma pilot. That game had no right to be as cool as it was.
never played it

but tachikomas are spiders

fuck spiders

Literally, in Harold's case.
you know, in my three or so playthroughs of fo3, i never actually ran across him

probably because i was mashing the skip dialogue button and was like literally avoiding any sort of npc contact because as soon as someone opened they mouth i could feel my braincells dying lol

I remember ranting to my brother about how Fallout 1's half-assed hacked in follower system managed to be more robust than Fallout 3s, to say nothing of the dialog trees.

And now they're going with a gamepad dialog wheel and a voiced protagonist. I'm looking forward to the game, but I can't pretend that shit isn't like a punch to the gut. Just complete anathema to what I love about Fallout. Never, ever was there a point in those games where I wanted fewer, vaguer dialog options and to have to wait for more voice acting.
i mean, tbh, while the whole voiced protagonist thing and like crafting and everything are like very much not what i want out of fallout, i'm glad they're at least taking their own direction with the series

fallout 3 is like grabbing skyrim and brutishly fitting it in a fallout setting

fallout 4 seems to be its own thing, with actual working combat and like tons of dumb shit with a clearly-not-gonna-use-it-more-than-once-cos-you-can-really-tell-it's-gonna-take-forever autolooting dogs and like random base defense crap and a very dumb pre-war section because beth never got that fallout was trying to go for metaphores with the whole 1950s thing lol

but yeah, at least be original, then i can just call it a spinoff in my head and be mostly unopposed to it

and if it leads to a new vegas 2 by obsidian, what can i say, toast to you, bethesda!

Is it me or zky posts more with broken PC? :D But more zky is not a bad thing :D
well i do have a laptop i can use and since i don't have flash develop or photoshop installed here i can't work and this thing can't run anything either, so it's just neogaf and watching anime for me

JaseC

Yeah, definitely. Almost every "social" aspect of Steam seems like an afterthought.

What annoys me a bit is that you can see the three people who most recently liked your activity feed post but it's not possible to view a full list.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
and at the same time i love the idea of like hacking people. i think that syndicate fps game had something like that, so maybe i should play it

I can't recommend it. It's a linear corridor shooter with celebrity faces/voices, imperfectly cast in the COD mold except you have Brian Cox, Rosario Dawson and Micheal Wincott instead of Kevin Spacey. Oh and a theme song remixed by Skrillex.

You basically get three powers, making someones gun explode, making someone suicide, and making someone fight for you and suicide after. You can also hack cover into place and occasionally a turret.

All of those abilities are of course much more interesting in the cutscenes they used to market the game. A disappointing use of resources all around.

never played it

but tachikomas are spiders

fuck spiders

Aww man, they shouldn't count as spiders. They're like...Singing, robo-golden retrievers.

and if it leads to a new vegas 2 by obsidian, what can i say, toast to you, bethesda!

I'd love to think that was remotely possible, but I'd be kinda shocked if Obsidian or Bethesda had any enthusiasm for trying it again. I imagine Bethesda's leaning towards DLC and paid mods to pay for things between game releases. And I imagine Obsidian (desperately) wants to get away from the contract work they've been doing for the last decade.

Tizoc

Speaking of anime, Nijiiro Days looks good.

ATM Ushio and Tora is great if you're looking for that lost anime flair of badasses and fun shonen romp.

In a few months time we get One Punch Man anime, which is looking pretty good so far
tumblr_nsdxxhwrIF1r60zuio7_r1_250.gif

Actually seeing as KOEI Tecmo are making an Attack on Titan game, it's a shame that one isn't coming to PC/Steam at least yet.

AoT is quite popular now so it having a steam release would be neat.

Besides even though we don't have much info about it, it appears to be the Reverse Musou; generally you are 1 person beating up hundreds of enemies, in AoT, you're a group of soldiers taking out 1 giant monster :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I can't recommend it. It's a linear corridor shooter with celebrity faces/voices, imperfectly cast in the COD mold except you have Brian Cox, Rosario Dawson and Micheal Wincott instead of Kevin Spacey. Oh and a theme song remixed by Skrillex.

You basically get three powers, making someones gun explode, making someone suicide, and making someone fight for you and suicide after. You can also hack cover into place and occasionally a turret.

All of those abilities are of course much more interesting in the cutscenes they used to market the game. A disappointing use of resources all around.
sucks

i feel like a more action-y game with gits powers in a highly simulated world environment is something that could happen, there's no reason to just lock everything to stealth outside of that genre being a generally slower affair (which works good when you like bring it to really slow in like those talking and exploring sections)

but like i think stealth is def an element in the gits universe, what with the naked invisibility and whatnot, so even if it's a little faster and a little looser, i bet that could work too

tho no point crying about this, i just finished watching gits sac season 1 and this has been lingering in my head for the past 3 or 4 episodes

btw, not the biggest fan of gits sac. i like some things of it, but the amount of pandering around motoko just ruins the character for me, and i wasn't much into a lot of the stand alone episodes. the complex part was great and i think the stand alone eps do a lot to build up the universe and crap, but i just didn't find them all that interesting and i wish they didn't separate the episodes like that and it was just more of an ongoing thread even when they were working other cases, cos like 1 laughing man episode, 5 random case episodes, another laughing man episodes, then like 14 random case episodes was kind of brutal.

i'm gonna try watching season 2 tho, but i like the movie a lot more

Aww man, they shouldn't count as spiders. They're like...Singing, robo-golden retrievers.
yeah well they're cute little voices and their sad stories aren't fooling me

I'd love to think that was remotely possible, but I'd be kinda shocked if Obsidian or Bethesda had any enthusiasm for trying it again. I imagine Bethesda's leaning towards DLC and paid mods to pay for things between game releases. And I imagine Obsidian (desperately) wants to get away from the contract work they've been doing for the last decade.
i have dreams, i'd love obs doing like an official "classic spinoff" (so an actuall fallout game lol) licensed by bethesda or whatever

isometric, faction and character oriented, straight out of van buren, with all those crazy innovative quest design stuff that were like happy moments out of my lewdest rpg design dreams

i'm just hurting my poor heart thinking these thoughts but I CANT HELP MYSELF

Have you ever seen a coconut crab?
i haven't and i don't intend to

so pls don't link one

crabs are like at the brink of being another animal i can't look actually

my dad and my brother and me used to "catch" them at the beach and put them in a bucket with water and watch them all happy like in the nice cool water and then free them where we found them. happy memories

now i'm a bit squeemish around them

my crazy brain sucks

The comment I quoted was in response to the question of why EA pulled its two most recent releases from Steam. EA delivering game data exclusively via Origin doesn't confer any actual benefits; it's EA's roundabout way of saying it doesn't want to sell DLC on Steam. Amusingly enough, the policy that ruffled EA's feathers so is one that Valve no longer enforces and, as a matter of fact, didn't even apply to the games it pulled.

Keep in mind TOR is one of the top grossing MMOs in the world after it went F2P. I'd imagine that is where the majority of their profits are coming in.

yeah i think it's a pretty crazy leap of logic to think that dragon age inquisition being hard to pirate translates into that many sales. i'd say buying popcap is one pretty huge fucking reason why pc is so big for ea lol

also constant updates are meant to fight used sales, not piracy afaik, tho it probably doesn't hurt

Yeah, that last line from me was unnecessary, tbh.
It really doesn't has anything to do with profit. It's just my wit though, they really hate piracy so they'll do anything to stop it. And it can be seen from their recent terms with Denuvo DRM and always online for some/most of their games. Always online is the perfect DRM against piracy, Blizzard teaches us that with Diablo 3, and I think EA is following their footsteps.

i haven't and i don't intend to

so pls don't link one

crabs are like at the brink of being another animal i can't look actually

my dad and my brother and me used to "catch" them at the beach and put them in a bucket with water and watch them all happy like in the nice cool water and then free them where we found them. happy memories

now i'm a bit squeemish around them

my crazy brain sucks

Fear not, I didn't intend to. If you do ever see one...Well, I can easily see you being much more afraid of those.

They're like armored giant mutant spiders of a crabby variety.

Deques

Their community search may have worked for them when there were only a few million users(?) but it certainly isn't very useful anymore.

What annoys me a bit is that you can see the three people who most recently liked your activity feed post but it's not possible to view a full list.

There are plenty of things that can be improved, but this is Valve we are talking about. They always like to add things we never asked for (except for refund) and never improves them

Servizio

sucks

i feel like a more action-y game with gits powers in a highly simulated world environment is something that could happen, there's no reason to just lock everything to stealth outside of that genre being a generally slower affair (which works good when you like bring it to really slow in like those talking and exploring sections)

but like i think stealth is def an element in the gits universe, what with the naked invisibility and whatnot, so even if it's a little faster and a little looser, i bet that could work too

I used to have similar fantasies about a modern Shadowrun taking after Deus Ex, FEAR, and the Matrix films--Hacking people and places from afar, dramatic high tech firefights in office settings, a weird patina of dungeons and dragons high fantasy over it all. Expand the system the Genesis game used, have procedurally generated runs in semi-static environments.

I could see a GITS game like Dishonored working. I remember wanting Dishonored to have a bit more environmental interaction and reactivity to possession. Something like GITS could build around that pretty well. For the action, and conveying the intensity of a cyborg and augmented fights...It's hard to think of deep mechanics beyond what's already been done--bullet time and QTEs. How do you make it surprising and interesting that everyone has a cannon for a knee? It's one of those things that's always going to clash between fiction and gameification--fiction can have every character be uniquely modified but a game needs enemy types.

I could also see a GITS game being way too complex. Yes, you can invis stealth onto the elevator when someone else uses it--but you have to hack the weight limit alarm first. I mean, I'd love that because it'd be a lot like a Hitman game--but the level design would be crazy hard to do.

i have dreams, i'd love obs doing like an official "classic spinoff" (so an actuall fallout game lol) licensed by bethesda or whatever

isometric, faction and character oriented, straight out of van buren, with all those crazy innovative quest design stuff that were like happy moments out of my lewdest rpg design dreams

i'm just hurting my poor heart thinking these thoughts but I CANT HELP MYSELF

Huh. I hadn't actually considered a Fallout game done using the Pillars engine. That'd make a lot of sense if Bethesda wanted to expand the Fallout brand, like they're doing with that Vault game.

That's...Almost plausible. That's a painful bit of hope to nurse there.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Raywin -- MB-5AD51557DB99A3DE - Taken by redlacs
Gravity Error -- MB-3882A9B6FBC893E9 - Taken by bobnowhere
Koala Kids -- MB-1AD779B89D5ED888 - Taken by fuzzy123
Ice Cream Surfer -- MB-564B5C9D4A501503 - Taken by NingenJanai
The Oil Blue -- MB-6293957F215BA52C - Taken by Deques

Tizoc

Asked a refund for Type 0 on GMG, since there are still 9 days remaining until the game is out, and if GMG puts it on VIP, I'll take it again.

They have armikrog too.
If you like adventure games consider getting that by the 17th, which is before the 26% discount code expires (at least for me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom