• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm always playing persona.
but yes
it shows, tunes coming along pretty nice

i sort of wish the future earth's government like added persona background music to life in general

get like the best scientists and just find a way to engrain that background music in everyone's life and get it to change depending on the situation. like going to work, having lunch, going to the beach, etc.

Windows_2.11.png

Win 2.11 bitches!

Actually, some kind of unremembered DOS version before that, but as for Windows, then Win 2.11 was what I got back then. Lovely days indeed!

didn't know that even existed

Deitus

For those wondering why fantomena is banned, I wrote him on Steam and it seems he posted something about Game of Thrones in a wrong thread. His ban is until 15.08.

Ah, that explains it. The only thing that looked off in his recent posting history was a post that said "whoops, wrong thread." Guess he didn't edit quick enough. At least it's only for a week.

inm8num2

For anyone who likes the Myst series:

https://twitter.com/zarfeblong/status/630077654365007872
Cyan in "active" talks on getting Myst 3 and 4 up on Steam. "Definitely possible", not certain. #mysterium2015

Mysterium is a yearly social gathering for fans of the Myst games. That guy's twitter has a couple pics showing he's at the event. Cyan is confirmed to be there, as mentioned on a Kickstarter update from this week.

Ubisoft owns the rights to Myst III and IV, so hopefully Ubi and Cyan can work something out. Myst, Riven, and Myst V: End of Ages are already on Steam, as are realMyst and its masterpiece edition.

Copons

outside!??

I dunno, I was playing Reversi on 2.11 while my friends where likely outside doing some sweaty sport or getting to second base or something
also I'm Italian I don't know anything about baseball metaphors but once I threatened a bunch of bullies living next door with a baseball bat (dunno why but I vividly remember that I left Secret of Mana paused when I did that), so this makes me almost American or something

zkylon

zkylewd
I dunno, I was playing Reversi on 2.11 while my friends where likely outside doing some sweaty sport or getting to second base or something
also I'm Italian I don't know anything about baseball metaphors but once I threatened a bunch of bullies living next door with a baseball bat (dunno why but I vividly remember that I left Secret of Mana paused when I did that), so this makes me almost American or something

you're weird

There's a cool site with info and screenshots of even older versions:
http://toastytech.com/guis/indexwindows.html

this is kind of fascinating

thanks

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finished up Tengami right now. It only took about an hour for me to get through it. The art was really pretty, and the music was nice, but all of the puzzles were basically trial and error. I was never sure how you could figure some of them out logically. I'm guessing hints were hidden somewhere within the levels, but I didn't notice any (except the 3 on the wrecked ship, so I'm guessing every subsequent room in the ship had a number there somewhere, which would help you solve the lock.) Also the movement speed sucked, it was so slowww.

But if you already own it and have an hour to kill, try it out. It's an easy 100% for you achievement hunters out there, too, since you only have to beat the game to get all of them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just played some NaissanceE, a first person walking simulator/puzzler. I had my eye on it for a while when it released, and picked it up sometime ago and promptly left it in my backlog, but today I decided to try it out. It's got an amazingly creepy ambiance to it, all geometic shapes and lights.

Here's a screenshot. I've a feeling I'm meant to get to the bottom of that.

Here was my Steam review for NaissanceE:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/265690/

Lasting about 3-5 hours, NaissanceE is a surreal exploration puzzle game that is appropriately atmospheric and moody, strange and surreal, sometimes puzzling and confusing, but most of the time something that feels like a trip into a strange, foreign, isolated world that runs by its own rules, rules that you have to figure out to progress and survive.

Only the most abstract of plots exists in the games; You start off the game running from some sort of shadow thing, and fall down to what can easily be compared to the rabbit hole. Your only given slight clues of a narrative, mostly coming from the chapters titles themselves, but the story is fairly simple... Lucy, our character, needs to go down deeper into this abyss and figure out what's down there. However, even without a strict narrative, the game manages to have a lot of personality and engagement. The loose narrative structure, surrealism, strange tripping moments, slight yet odd puzzle solving, and the strange world run by its own rules, remind me a lot of something like Yume Nikki or LSD: Dream Emulator, while it's a very different sort of game than either of those it in many instances can give off a similar otherworldly feel, and like those games, a strange inner-joy to try and explore and learn what you can about this strange, foreign, yet somewhat familiar place,

One super minor complaint is that I thought it'd be interesting if the game had developed more of its mechanics further, the game has the tendency to introduce an interesting concept and keep that concept to but a single section of the game, and never mixes and matches concepts like it could. However, the sheer number of ideas on display, how they're handled and presented, and how many of them strike the mark and work, more than make up for it, and also helps in the element of always guessing what may be coming next.

Besides that, the only complaint I have comes from a few moments. What you're supposed to do and where you're supposed to go is sometimes kind of obtuse, there's a few instances of trying to figure out what is the correct course of action to move forward that feels less puzzle solving and either trying to spot some obscure passage you missed or a guessing game with little hint, but again, minor in the grand scheme of things. There is one instance involving a wind tunnel and fans that I found to be a bit too trial and error, and sort of forced you to learn the breathing mechanic timing the character has while running to progress. There are some sequences the game turns more into a timed platformer, and these segments are notably weaker than the times the game moves at a slower pace, while I didn't find these segments bad, it is of note that they did strike less with me than most of the other sections of the game.

The game has several secrets to find, which were a joy to look for and uncover. Each of the chapters felt very different without breaking the flow of the game to what we learned before.

The flaws the game has are minor because the experience during its 3-5 hour run time is thoroughly gripping, strange, yet interesting, atmospheric, a sense of alone, sometimes dips into madness, and I'd even dare to say at times magical. It's a game that managed to capture a series of raw emotions of me whole playing with no dialogue or concrete story. It made me think deeply about things in the human psyche as I questioned my interpretations of things by mere suggestion, it can sometimes be mind-bending in the best possible way, and despite its short length, managed to be gripping from beginning to end. I'd say completely worth it for those who want to take a trip into a strange, interesting world.

And a few screenshots I took:

So I can't visit any page on the steam store whether via browser or the client, and while I can get to Valve's homepage it's really slow atm. Is it related to TI? Or is Steam getting DDoS'ed? Or is there some oddly specific filter going on on my computer somewhere (though I don't have any firewalls on and I've even totally disabled Avast and Enhanced Steam to make sure there wasn't some bass ackwards redirect going on or something))

So I can't visit any page on the steam store whether via browser or the client, and while I can get to Valve's homepage it's really slow atm. Is it related to TI? Or is Steam getting DDoS'ed? Or is there some oddly specific filter going on on my computer somewhere (though I don't have any firewalls on and I've even totally disabled Avast and Enhanced Steam to make sure there wasn't some bass ackwards redirect going on or something))

Could be an ISP thing? Did you try battle net or any other pc gaming client/store?

Steam is working fine for me.

It's working fine for me

Arthea

I finished up Tengami right now. It only took about an hour for me to get through it. The art was really pretty, and the music was nice, but all of the puzzles were basically trial and error. I was never sure how you could figure some of them out logically. I'm guessing hints were hidden somewhere within the levels, but I didn't notice any (except the 3 on the wrecked ship, so I'm guessing every subsequent room in the ship had a number there somewhere, which would help you solve the lock.) Also the movement speed sucked, it was so slowww.

But if you already own it and have an hour to kill, try it out. It's an easy 100% for you achievement hunters out there, too, since you only have to beat the game to get all of them.

None of Tengami puzzles are trial and error. Hints weren't even hidden that good, well some better than others, but many were hard to miss.
Movement speed does suck, true. It's still a nice little game.

My most cross bought game ever, have fun.
ModBot said:
Instructions for RunWhiteBoyRun:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (RunWhiteBoyRun, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pac-Man DX All You Can Eat- -- MB-39E86484C0243B7B - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo

MUnited83

For you.
Alright. Getting a new PC is always very exciting! Hope it'll bring you more than just good times but also something to help you in your life.
Congrats. What are the specs?

R9 280X
I7 2600k
8GB ram, 1666hz
1TB SSHD

All this for 560€,and needing to buy a monitor, which will put it at 680€. Which honestly is pretty darn good since a similar build would normally cost around 1000€

I remember using win 98, SteamGAF is so old.

Windows 95 was the earliest I had. After that i've upgraded to every Windows OS following it except Vista. I've used Vista, but not on my primary computer.

R9 280X
I7 2600k
8GB ram, 1666hz
1TB SSHD

All this for 560€,and needing to buy a monitor, which will put it at 680€. Which honestly is pretty darn good since a similar build would normally cost around 1000€
That really is solid! Congrats on the great haul.

You'll get old too. It's a certainty that makes coping easier, knowing even the young folk will be in the same exact position as us someday.
I only get to use 98 because dad is lazy with tech, and doesn't keep stuff up to date. I mean I was like 4 when it came out.

R9 280X
I7 2600k
8GB ram, 1666hz
1TB SSHD

To be honest, that is a damn fine deal. Not only is the price very good but the PC is also very powerful.

You got all the luck lately Bernardo. I'd recommend you jump on that deal.

Dsyndrome

For anyone who likes the Myst series:

https://twitter.com/zarfeblong/status/630077654365007872

Mysterium is a yearly social gathering for fans of the Myst games. That guy's twitter has a couple pics showing he's at the event. Cyan is confirmed to be there, as mentioned on a Kickstarter update from this week.

Ubisoft owns the rights to Myst III and IV, so hopefully Ubi and Cyan can work something out. Myst, Riven, and Myst V: End of Ages are already on Steam, as are realMyst and its masterpiece edition.
Forgot those ones existed. Still need to beat Riven.

Lately I am getting into gaming again. So after Binary Domain I started Shadow Warrior just now. Played about an hour and closed right after arriving in Chapter 2.

This is a fine looking game folks. I found myself wandering around and just soaking in the visuals for minutes before even the first fight! Top notch atmosphere.

No worries peeps with low bandwidth or weak netbooks, I especially took care to have smaller gifs this time.

E5tMLIW.gif
wiE0eNy.gif

ynHReDp.gif

The gratuitous violence though :eek: So fun.

Combat itself is dizzyingly fast. Really had to adjust to its speed. Especially since the sword is the funnest weapon to play with, I found myself moving the mouse quickly around a lot. This feels like one of those game though where I hope it doesn't go for too long as it can become a bit tiring mowing loads of enemies down even if it's a lot of fun at first.

Ok, I lied.

Here is a slightly bigger gif. But dammit, it was such a charming moment, I just had to share it!

dg4tcyW.gif

It's this moment Clementine got precious to me. No spoilers, so don't worry about that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I got home from work last night and my PC decided to shut down and wouldn't remain powered on for more than a few seconds. This morning I decided to just let it cycle through the motions for a little while and lo and behold, it's working again, but I'm sure this won't be the last time. Everything I touch dies. :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I got home from work last night and my PC decided to shut down and wouldn't remain powered on for more than a few seconds. This morning I decided to just let it cycle through the motions for a little while and lo and behold, it's working again, but I'm sure this won't be the last time. Everything I touch dies. :(

We need to invent some sort of technology that reverses whatever curse is currently upon you and zky.

Shadownet

Banned

Didn't something of yours died like a couple of months back also?

the-fairly-oddParents14.gif

Lately I am getting into gaming again. So after Binary Domain I started Shadow Warrior just now.

This feels like one of those game though where I hope it doesn't go for too long as it can become a bit tiring mowing loads of enemies down even if it's a lot of fun at first.

I have some bad news for you. I beat it recently and found it to be tedious and tiring at times, although I think that was due to me playing it on insane difficulty.

Deitus

Well that was weird. I was trying to clean up my hard drive a bit, so I was going through and deleting games that I'm unlikely to play in the near future. So I go to delete Far Cry 2, only instead of deleting, it launches the game. Then when I close out of the game, I see all of the files are deleted.

fertygo

It's also Sunday....

OXMjF6R.gif
godammit, stupid me.
Well that was weird. I was trying to clean up my hard drive a bit, so I was going through and deleting games that I'm unlikely to play in the near future. So I go to delete Far Cry 2, only instead of deleting, it launches the game. Then when I close out of the game, I see all of the files are deleted.

That happened to me once, weird as shit

Maniac

Banned
Well that's it for TI5. The members of the winning team have now all accomplished more in life than I likely ever will. Or atleast earned more than I ever will.
16 year old lad got over a million sodding dollars. When I was 16 I had a news-paper route...

Dsyndrome

Decided to start playing my old PS2 games on PCSX2 and see how they look. First game to play will be Xenosaga I, hopefully can transfer my saves over from my PS2 memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom