• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Lately I am getting into gaming again. So after Binary Domain I started Shadow Warrior just now. Played about an hour and closed right after arriving in Chapter 2.

This is a fine looking game folks. I found myself wandering around and just soaking in the visuals for minutes before even the first fight! Top notch atmosphere.

No worries peeps with low bandwidth or weak netbooks, I especially took care to have smaller gifs this time.

E5tMLIW.gif
wiE0eNy.gif

ynHReDp.gif

The gratuitous violence though :eek: So fun.

Combat itself is dizzyingly fast. Really had to adjust to its speed. Especially since the sword is the funnest weapon to play with, I found myself moving the mouse quickly around a lot. This feels like one of those game though where I hope it doesn't go for too long as it can become a bit tiring mowing loads of enemies down even if it's a lot of fun at first.
i felt like the game didn't last more than that first level to me

i liked the singing part in the intro cutscene and whatnot but i got bored of it super quick, i'm not 100% sure why, probably the gratuitous violence lol

I got home from work last night and my PC decided to shut down and wouldn't remain powered on for more than a few seconds. This morning I decided to just let it cycle through the motions for a little while and lo and behold, it's working again, but I'm sure this won't be the last time. Everything I touch dies. :(
believe me i know how u feel :T

since everything's been breaking down for me over this year, my way of not thinking about it has been to like literally just accept that i'm cursed and pay whatever i have to pay and move on. i'm hoping it's a temporary curse

i need to start making a list of all the ppl i've wronged, but it's probably gonna take forever

Well that's it for TI5. The members of the winning team have now all accomplished more in life than I likely ever will. Or atleast earned more than I ever will.
16 year old lad got over a million sodding dollars. When I was 16 I had a news-paper route...
i mean, a million isn't much considering how much like real sports players make

#harassment
ugly skin

I got home from work last night and my PC decided to shut down and wouldn't remain powered on for more than a few seconds. This morning I decided to just let it cycle through the motions for a little while and lo and behold, it's working again, but I'm sure this won't be the last time. Everything I touch dies. :(

About 3 months ago I was happily gaming then bang, fizz and the all too familiar smell of electronics burning. PC dead. Crap I thought and started researching new power supplies. For no apparent reason I tried the next day to turn it on and it worked and has worked perfectly since then. .

Touch wood, no issues since.

Dsyndrome

I don't even need to read it, but I know that it's lies. Just like SimCity.
I'll read it though just to see the PR spin this round.

"We’ve been pretty big with Autolog throughout the years and, as we know, it’s a really powerful feature," Nilsson told Official Xbox Magazine. "This time around we’re going to give it more of a human voice. It will treat your friend’s play as if it is part of the narrative experience."
Until EA experiences a DDOS and nobody can play the fucking game. Great narrative experience.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just played some NaissanceE, a first person walking simulator/puzzler. I had my eye on it for a while when it released, and picked it up sometime ago and promptly left it in my backlog, but today I decided to try it out. It's got an amazingly creepy ambiance to it, all geometic shapes and lights.

Here's a screenshot. I've a feeling I'm meant to get to the bottom of that.

If you get a chance, Naissance is INCREDIBLE in 3D. There's a 3D fix available for the game and its just amazing. The world really comes to life, and the true scale there becomes much more apparent. Its great.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

...what?

Yo fuck that.

"We’ve been pretty big with Autolog throughout the years and, as we know, it’s a really powerful feature," Nilsson told Official Xbox Magazine. "This time around we’re going to give it more of a human voice. It will treat your friend’s play as if it is part of the narrative experience."

"We also have a new snapshot system as well," Nilsson said. "Which is taking pictures of a lot of different moments – [they go] out to the Need for Speed network where people can ‘like’ them, and those likes are being pushed back into the game as currency.

"So you get progression from sharing your photos," Nilsson added. "The Xbox One has really good built-in systems to make videos and stream them, which we are also going to use."

These are terrible reasons to be only online. Didn't Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2012 have the exact same features, wasn't always online, and didn't tie sharing stuff to in game currency?

This is such a lazy excuse for always online. With Rivals it was at least sort of understandable (barely) because the idea was to be in this world with all the other people playing driving in the world at the same time. Their races interesecting and interacting with you. This just sounds like lazy story hooks, and lame social media features.

madjoki

Until EA experiences a DDOS and nobody can play the fucking game. Great narrative experience.

I'm pretty sure nobody needs to DDoS, but it will be down because everyone wants to play at same time.

Sounds like something that could've been optional. I wonder if there's microtransactions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm pretty sure nobody needs to DDoS, but it will be down because everyone wants to play at same time.

Sounds like something that could've been optional. I wonder if there's microtransactions.

Pay $0.99 to play offline for 10 minutes.

Sober

It's a shit boss design.
Basically, hide and let the boss take care of the enemies, always move immediately after shooting at him, stay at the top for the first half, then move downstairs for the second one
The last boss was hard? I was playing on Uber and all I did was
use all the grenade launcher pistol shots I had saved up on him and he died after like ten of them in the mouth. I didn't know the boss had actual encounter design. I just ducked behind a wall and popped up and shoved hot grenade flares into the mouth.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
None of Tengami puzzles are trial and error. Hints weren't even hidden that good, well some better than others, but many were hard to miss.
Movement speed does suck, true. It's still a nice little game.
Where were the hints for the wolves and the wind chimes in the forest chapter, or the input the correct number sequence lock puzzles? I feel dumb, because I couldn't find hints anywhere (well except for that random 3 I found after the fact).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally.

u1fCvYo.png

Uninstall.exe

I'll keep it around to watch NiP play on GOTV, but I think I'm done playing it myself.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I really don't get the continued hard-on for anti-piracy measures. It feels like we've had a decade of rock solid evidence of them being ultimately detrimental to sales and goodwill compared to what you can accomplish with the games-as-service model.

I mean, online functionality, community features, and multiplayer experience as narrative should all be positive bullet points. But completely and utterly optional, and seamlessly lost if someone wants or more importantly needs to play offline.

zkylon

zkylewd
I really don't get the continued hard-on for anti-piracy measures. It feels like we've had a decade of rock solid evidence of them being ultimately detrimental to sales and goodwill compared to what you can accomplish with the games-as-service model.

I mean, online functionality, community features, and multiplayer experience as narrative should all be positive bullet points. But completely and utterly optional, and seamlessly lost if someone wants or more importantly needs to play offline.
lots of people are in the business of combatting piracy so i'm guessing those people are lobbying pretty hard to get companies to believe they're necessary

The last boss was hard? I was playing on Uber and all I did was
use all the grenade launcher pistol shots I had saved up on him and he died after like ten of them in the mouth. I didn't know the boss had actual encounter design. I just ducked behind a wall and popped up and shoved hot grenade flares into the mouth.

It took a little more than that for me, but I agree 100%.

Caerith

I never got why people uninstall games unless they really need the space.

You can filter your library to show only installed games, so it makes sense to uninstall one you never plan to play again. And, really, there's no reason to keep a game you don't plan to play again installed unless your internet is really bad.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
lots of people are in the business of combatting piracy so i'm guessing those people are lobbying pretty hard to get companies to believe they're necessary

That sounds very plausible. Never underestimate the power of the "Someone's taking your shit!" narrative.

Shade

Old extra's, should be unused. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LOST CIVILIZATION -- MB-8758FB94713812B5
STRATEGIC WAR IN EUROPE -- MB-FE6557C606312C29 - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-3FA2AC29FCF28D1F - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
Dracula -- MB-E08DA9F57DC6C318 - Taken by Anteater. 2 entrants total.
KAMI -- MB-FC14E044123D6FC7 - Taken by XDDX. 1 entrants total.
Stronghold Crusader HD -- MB-D4B21C4E8D92B508 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
REVENGE OF THE TITANS -- MB-8D5B8A7B4394C0CA - Taken by Backlogger. 1 entrants total.
Paranautical Activity (Early Access) -- MB-0AE2476BDAE15D0B - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Dracula #2 -- MB-B2EB7C8218540A9F - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
MAKING HISTORY II THE WAR OF THE WORLD -- MB-9E508622BBD9613E - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Stacking -- MB-DC8FE56820AF20A9 - Taken by Shalashaska. 1 entrants total.
Cubetractor -- MB-61372509D2356801 - Taken by Vuze. 1 entrants total.
Sherlock Holmes -- MB-38231E612272905B - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.
BATTLEPILLARS GOLD EDITION -- MB-C99A2B529319DE24 - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total.
Sang-Froid -- MB-F8AEE93EB8D66525 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.
1000 AMPS -- MB-DF8303D1536CE25F - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-F94D0408B44DD9BD - Taken by Se7enSword. 2 entrants total.
T.E.C 3001 -- MB-499CA1F3CD87DE98 - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.
Windforge -- MB-F356FAEE1AEBB807 - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-FDF48F87B4AAC997 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.

t1439096508z1.png

TheSeks

Yea but you're bound to play it again, if it has multiplayer or something.

If someone is uninstalling a game with a multiplayer component, I doubt they'll be going back to it anytime soon.
Me, I'm tongue in cheek joking about uninstalling CS:GO, I only play it against bots most of the time and/or watch tournaments on GOTV. But I'm not uninstalling it. Source, meanwhile: I really gotta get around to uninstalling CS:Source.

Speaking of which, I went back to Pax Mayne 3 this weekend and I'm reminded how much I loathe that game. Rockstar fucked up by not giving Remedy a truck load of cash to do a sequel to Max Payne 2. :| Oh when will my Max Payne 3 come~ *wistful music*

Grief.exe

Was this taken massively out of context or something? What a terrible reply.

Why do you require always online? Because we can take screenshots. Corporate PR bullshit.

"We also have a new snapshot system as well," Nilsson said. "Which is taking pictures of a lot of different moments – [they go] out to the Need for Speed network where people can ‘like’ them, and those likes are being pushed back into the game as currency.

"So you get progression from sharing your photos," Nilsson added. "The Xbox One has really good built-in systems to make videos and stream them, which we are also going to use."

zkylon

zkylewd
That sounds very plausible. Never underestimate the power of the "Someone's taking your shit!" narrative.
i mean, even among gamers it's a big debate if pirated copies = lost profits and while i'd 100% argue against that, you bet your ass publishers do buy that statement

so they're thinking "there's all this money that we could be making that we're missing out thanks to piracy or pirated games or whatever", and there's also drm companies that make a living off selling the idea that that money is real to publishers, so drm happens.

something like that.

and like i said, even among gamers the concept that pirated copy = lost profit is never agreed upon, so imagine how difficult would it be to explain to people that actually have a stake in those potential profits that they should actually leave the things out to be effortlessly downloaded from pirate sites. i bet big publishers do their own research and have decent enough numbers of potential pirates if they released all their games gog style.

so i kind of think the eternal chase for the perfect drm is pretty understandable, even if we all know it hasn't ever worked

It's about living a minimalist life style free of clutter that could mess with your focus. I try to avoid hitting double digit installs at this point.
this too, i don't enjoy the clutter of having like a million games installed, once i'm done with something it's gone

makes it easier to find what i want

Old extra's, should be unused. Enjoy!

kami's a pretty cool puzzler, not amazing or anything but it's pretty alright

Why do you require always online? Because we can take screenshots. Corporate PR bullshit.
sounds to me like always online will be gone a month from release or something

Speaking of which, I went back to Pax Mayne 3 this weekend and I'm reminded how much I loathe that game. Rockstar fucked up by not giving Remedy a truck load of cash to do a sequel to Max Payne 2. :| Oh when will my Max Payne 3 come~ *wistful music*
yup, max payne 3 is an awful max payne game and despite the cool physics, an impossible to replay game thanks to the active torture of being forced to watch all those shitty cutscenes with the terrible plot and the terrible writing and the terrible plot again

Caerith

Oh, yeah lots of games have systems like that. Like, "Hey friends, please like this post to send me gas!" They seem to be really popular, so I'm sure this is going to be a great game.

TheSeks

Eh, I think Destructoid is taking that out of context. The game is built around the social aspect a la a Facebook title. But I don't think screenshots are a reason it's always-on. They're just using it as a justification/reasoning behind people wanting to play online.

Edit: Oh, I misread you and you're basically saying what I'm saying. Well, pretty much needs repeating.

Servizio

I will say that the scenario that always gives me pause is the one of post-release support, and how pirates can potentially inflate and muddle it. Trying to trouble shoot a few thousand pirated copies can't be cheap or fulfilling.

TheSeks

yup, max payne 3 is an awful max payne game and despite the cool physics, an impossible to replay game thanks to the active torture of being forced to watch all those shitty cutscenes with the terrible plot and the terrible writing and the terrible plot again

It's bullet time is AWFUL. Like, I can headshot people and then shutdown Bullet-time to save "time" in the meter but the meter STILL burns for like two seconds later, thereby eating up more of the bullet time than it needs to.

Cover system is NEEDED on hard (but New York Minute is Medium, WTF? Why make me go through this shit on Hard to get to what I want?)

Shootdodge is mostly useless on Hard if you bump into shit and then have to slowly get back up.

Blech. I'm trying to replay it to unlock the levels, but I'm just... hating every minute of it. I'd rather be playing Max Payne or Max Payne 2. At least there the bullet time had a "flow" to it that felt good running through the levels.

I've finished Max Payne 3 on every difficulty and the cover system is never needed outside of one scenario on the rooftops towards the very end of the game and a sniper battle towards the middle.

Shoot dodge isn't useless, the recovery time is important because it prevents you from spamming it and being able to get away with it. Dive inbetween cover and avoid walls and it's a hugely useful tool. You have air control so avoiding obstacles is easy. Also worth noting is that if you do mess up you can stay on the ground and roll around with full aim control.

And it doesn't use the bullet meter for two extra seconds. It's going from bullet time to "normal time" so the bar doesn't finish draining right away

And New York Minute mode is unlocked via any difficulty. Beating the game on Hard unlocks hardcore and old school(no second chance mechanic) difficulties.

zkylon

zkylewd
It reads even worse than what EA said when it decided to leave Steam behind:

l9lffwf34s2x.gif

worst of all is ubi's reason for uplay

ubisoft president said:
i got nothing rofl

so embarrassing

I've finished Max Payne 3 eight times, keep a book or my phone nearby :p
the book is to bash your skull open with, the phone to call an ambulance

I will say that the scenario that always gives me pause is the one of post-release support, and how pirates can potentially inflate and muddle it. Trying to trouble shoot a few thousand pirated copies can't be cheap or fulfilling.
i mean, sure, but also if there's no drm pirates then have the exact same issues as costumers so what worked for costumers worked for them right?

i'm guessing with drm'd games support sometimes gets ppl going like "wtf my batman arkam night says that h4xx0r.dll is missing??" lol

but, yeah, sure, and i bet there are definitely sales that publishers would lose if you could just as easily pirate a game as download it. like, applying a crack or whatever ppl do these days is a barrier of entry, so if you remove that, i bet there's like a number of ppl that would jump on board with it. similarly there's probably some truth to the used games argument, tho it's very likely it's not as crazy as pubs make it out to be

question is if these problems are negiglible enough compared to the bad publicity and licensing costs of all that drm stuff

It's bullet time is AWFUL. Like, I can headshot people and then shutdown Bullet-time to save "time" in the meter but the meter STILL burns for like two seconds later, thereby eating up more of the bullet time than it needs to.

Cover system is NEEDED on hard (but New York Minute is Medium, WTF? Why make me go through this shit on Hard to get to what I want?)

Shootdodge is mostly useless on Hard if you bump into shit and then have to slowly get back up.

Blech. I'm trying to replay it to unlock the levels, but I'm just... hating every minute of it. I'd rather be playing Max Payne or Max Payne 2. At least there the bullet time had a "flow" to it that felt good running through the levels.

just play the other two max payne games if u don't like it

there's no reason to play max payne 3, mp1 and 2 hold up great, some of the levels that have like really suspect platforming and pacing are kind of bad but in general they're really fun games to go through

i often do like a first act playthrough of max payne 1 every year, i love that game

I've finished Max Payne 3 on every difficulty and the cover system is never needed outside of one scenario on the rooftops towards the very end of the game and a sniper battle towards the middle.

Shoot dodge isn't useless, the recovery time is important because it prevents you from spamming it and being able to get away with it. Dive inbetween cover and avoid walls and it's a hugely useful tool. You have air control so avoiding obstacles is easy. Also worth noting is that if you do mess up you can stay on the ground and roll around with full aim control.

And it doesn't use the bullet meter for two extra seconds. It's going from bullet time to "normal time" so the bar doesn't finish draining right away

And New York Minute mode is unlocked via any difficulty. Beating the game on Hard unlocks hardcore and old school(no second chance mechanic) difficulties.
i mostly like the combat mechanics in the game, i just really really REALLY hate the writing and story in that game, and double hate that rockstar is so enamored with their own shitty writing that i'm forced to go through the torture of having to watch it again if i want to do another playthrough. also the constant mini-cutscenes interruptions are really bad for the pacing and flow of the game, this sounds minor but it's just infuriating to me to have to watch a cutscene to open a fucking door lol

the other key thing i dislike about mp3 is the level design. there's just no creativity to it, the locations are awesome and detailed but it's just corridor upon corridor upon corridor. there was a lot of exploration in the other max payne games and open areas to shoot ppl on and that's something i really enjoyed and wish it was present in 3.

It reads even worse than what EA said when it decided to leave Steam behind:

I think they just hate piracy, that's all. Their "direct updates & patches" policy works for DA Inquisition. Though the game was cracked once back then, it's now unpirateable again due to the constant updates & patches. The game was not really cracked anyway, the group just made a temporary private server for the game. And now they aren't taking any more risks, always online is the way to go to fight piracy for them. Imho.

And it works right? Latest report stated that PC is the 2nd most profitable platform for them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think they just hate piracy, that's all. Their "direct updates & patches" policy works for DA Inquisition. Though the game was cracked once back then, it's now unpirateable again due to the constant updates & patches. The game was not really cracked anyway, the group just made a temporary private server for the game. And now they aren't taking any more risks, always online is the way to go to fight piracy for them. Imho.

And it works right? Latest report stated that PC is the 2nd most profitable platform for them.

The comment I quoted was in response to the question of why EA pulled its two most recent releases from Steam. EA delivering game data exclusively via Origin doesn't confer any actual benefits; it's EA's roundabout way of saying it doesn't want to sell DLC on Steam. Amusingly enough, the policy that ruffled EA's feathers so is one that Valve no longer enforces and, as a matter of fact, didn't even apply to the games it pulled.

Grief.exe

Keep in mind TOR is one of the top grossing MMOs in the world after it went F2P. I'd imagine that is where the majority of their profits are coming in.

tmarg

From r/dota2, top 29 esports earners are all dota2 players

http://esportsearnings.com/players

lol riot

I don't play dota or lol, so I don't really have any personal preference between them, but I actually think the way lol runs it's esports is better, despite the massive winnings in the international.

Lol has several teams in four regions all drawing guaranteed salaries, plus winnings on top of that. That means that, if you are a top tier player, devoting your time to playing professionally isn't completely fucking crazy, because you are guaranteed to at least be able to support yourself.

Meanwhile, if you are a professional dota player, and you end up not qualifying for the international, you are pretty much completely screwed. Sure, if you do make it, you'll earn a fortune, but you'd be crazy to even try.

zkylon

zkylewd
From r/dota2, top 29 esports earners are all dota2 players

http://esportsearnings.com/players

lol riot
this is a stupid post

"This list represents the top players who won the most prize money based on information published on the internet. Sources include news articles, forum posts, live report threads, interviews, official statements, reliable databases, VODs and other publicly-accessable sources that preserve "historical" information."

riot pays salaries to their players, so instead of a few making millions there's a lot of them getting payed a normal salary.

also doesn't take into account sponsorships and twitch streaming money, both of which are probably much higher than doto's since a lot more people watch and play league

don't try to pick fights with league players tyty

I don't play dota or lol, so I don't really have any personal preference between them, but I actually think the way lol runs it's esports is better, despite the massive winnings in the international.

Lol has several teams in four regions all drawing guaranteed salaries, plus winnings on top of that. That means that, if you are a top tier player, devoting your time to playing professionally isn't completely fucking crazy, because you are guaranteed to at least be able to support yourself.

Meanwhile, if you are a professional dota player, and you end up not qualifying for the international, you are pretty much completely screwed. Sure, if you do make it, you'll earn a fortune, but you'd be crazy to even try.
yup, riot's system's by no means perfect, but i like the idea of a lot of ppl living off esports rather than a select few

there's plenty of big issues with league's system tho, like salaries for all teams not being the same the same (apparently big teams make deals to get more), and the whole system being overly dependent on riot (so there are fewer independent tournaments and everything's left to riot's judgement which is often a bit suspect lol), but overall i feel it's a nicer ecosystem

now if someone in esports did something to help players not have to play like 14 hours a day that would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom