• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
LEGO Worlds Annoucement: Update 2 Details

Hello everyone!

We think it’s about time we started to let you know what you’ll see in Update 2, which we
aim to roll-out as soon as it’s worthy! This update is less focussed on adding new content and more on improving and opening up what’s there. We’re very pleased with the progress and check out our other post talking about some of the other stuff we’re working on – that’s still coming!

Here’s a breakdown of some of the things to expect:

• Underwater – Explore and build underwater. If you find yourself running out of air, try the sub or one of those characters that can breathe (or doesn’t need to breathe) underwater…
  • Discoveries – For the first time, players will have to do a little more work to discover some of the characters and creatures. This is the first step to what we believe will be a more rewarding Discovery system. But what if you already have everything? Well, you’ll still see the same things but there’s also a new option to reset your save game – without affecting your worlds or brick builds, naturally – so you can start discovering again from scratch.
  • Map – Never get lost again, unless like us you can’t actually read a map... Anyway, you can’t miss it – it’s got some great features like adding and removing waypoints ( also appear as beams in the world) and different zoom levels. You can tune it up or turn it off too, and just have the beams – let us know how you use it.
  • The Camera Item – Snap happy users can take screenshots using the in-game Camera item to capture their favourite builds, creatures or rocks! Warning: taking a picture of a LEGO Jacket Potato doesn’t suddenly make it interesting!
  • Virtual Floor – We’ve added a new sub-feature to Brick Building and Tools. This option is an easy way to build in the air, or add detail to a specific layer, or to keep some of your hard work protected while you go crazy creatively. We also slipped in a ‘free’ related feature on the mouse that allows you to place individual bricks in free space at the cross-hair cursor, rather like when using a controller, without altering the way it works normally.
  • LXFML Export update – We’ve updated the LXFML export tool to now include props! Any props you place will now be stored within the model data, meaning you’re able to pack up your house and place exactly as it is anywhere you like! We wouldn’t recommend putting your perfect house too close to the Junkyard though, it’ll halve the value!
  • Tracking Camera – We’ve added a new Camera Mode. This is a more rigid setup that requires the player to control rotation and distance a lot more, as opposed to the regular Chase Camera.
  • GUI – The grids in the various menus have had a little bit of a summer clean and are now neater on screen and easier to see. This is in advance of a more significant set of improvements, coming soon to an awesome LEGO game near you.
  • Info Box – You can now hold the BACK button (on a wired XBOX360 controller) to turn it on and off, instead of having to navigate the pointer. As with the GUI grids, this is a small convenience in advance of bigger improvements.
  • Abilities – There are quite a few cool / awesome / funny little things going into this update. We might tease some of them, but for now you’ll have to wait.
  • Content – Well, we said above there’s less emphasis on new content, but you can still expect a few new discoveries, plus the winning competition builds. And don’t forget ongoing new animations and audio!
  • Fixes – An ongoing focus, especially as we get ready to push out an update, including (but not limited to!) improvements to stability, performance and terrain generation.

Once the update rolls out, we’ll have a more definitive patch notes for you to sift through, as there are plenty of other minor tweaks. There's no hard date for this update, as we're trying to ensure we catch as many bugs as we can, and ensure the new features are working as we intend, but we're hoping to have it with you soon! Until then let us know what your thoughts are on the update plans!

Thanks,
LEGO Worlds Team

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ewDRoVh.jpg

Pester

Milamber

Just in case you serious, the ball doesn't have to for it to be a goal in football.

No goal because whole ball didnt crossthe line.

I only learned that now.

Next you're gonna tell me German's aren't actually naked outside in Germany, aren't you?

Uzzy

He'll probably be more about low profile tyres and convertible roofs for the female cars that anything the brings the game into the 21st century.

While coincidentally announcing that Goodyear have just signed a massive sponsorship deal, of course.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

l3L0MM1.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-CAAA41B1BC15EE69 - Taken by someguyinahat

I've been looking around for viva piñata PC but can't find it on any digital stores.

I think Microsoft should release it on their own storefront or steam because right now only way for me to play it is either to buy a disc reader to use my physical copy of it or [REDACTED] it, these situations is always shitty.

It was for awhile. I have (or had) a copy from Games for Windows Live store that was all digital.

Didn't work on GOG...opened up the Desura that I haven't opened up in more than two years...

"Cherry Tree High Comedy Club gift you are trying to accept has been sent to the member Danteveli. You will need to contact the person who sent you the gift and see if they have another copy to gift you."

Well, shit.

Didn't work on GOG...opened up the Desura that I haven't opened up in more than two years...

"Cherry Tree High Comedy Club gift you are trying to accept has been sent to the member Danteveli. You will need to contact the person who sent you the gift and see if they have another copy to gift you."

Well, shit.

Looks like we get to add someone to the blacklist...

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I finished witcher 3 today after a long pause and ENDING spoiler:
It was real nice seeing everything going well for the people involved after, Geralt got his peaceful life with Triss, Ciri got her witcher life and Temeria became a vassal of the empire.

About the game itself I would say it's the best RPG I've played, loved the quests, even the sidequests were often full of intrigue or showing of weird monsters.
The story and the dialogue was also one of the best things with the game, with much better voices than the earlier games in the series (though dialogue choices is something witcher 1 had better but the voices easily made it much worse of an experience overall)
The game also has some wonderful vistas and the graphics is top-notch, sad part was that I had to play almost the whole game in 30fps on medium until I got my 970 just a week ago, still don't understand how fierce the downgrade brigade was before release.

And of course there were a few cons, mostly it was the movements, seriously Geralt should be called Geralt the Tank instead of Geralt of Rivia.
The patch that added more responsive controls made this much better though, but it didn't fix it fully.

Conclusion would be that it's probably the best RPG I've played, and will probably contend first place on my GOTY list with MGSV.

Well, my fault, lol. I did that Mystery giveway thinking the key was unused because I didn't mark it on Bemine. It ended up to be used. Sorry for the mistake, I think this is like the second time it happened a key I gave was used, so apologize and if you want blacklist me...well, free to do that.
I do mysert giveaway very often and I can assure you, until now, all the keys I gave were unredeemed.

PunishedSnake
(Today, 08:38 AM)

Vuze

So I was looking for some post-apocalyptic game to play... Silly Steam tags aren't that funny when you are seriously looking for something lol

IVfb27n.png

Anyway, I still have Metro LL Redux in my library and the screenshots are intriguing. But I remember I quit playing Metro 2033 Vanilla after some minecart segment or something, really not into that kind of "it's dark and something will jump at you" horror stuff. Somebody wanna comment on their experience with Last Light in terms of horror?

MUnited83

For you.
If anyone is wanting to get a top of line PC for an amazing price check the BST thread. A guy just posted a damn amazing deal. A shame I dont live in the US. Would have bought that in a blink of a eye!

Arthea

So. Is that Beam Sword whatever in Neptunia 2 a DLC weapon or you get it because you finished Nep 1?

I mean I am overpowered...

Beam zapper zero? That is definitely a dlc weapon, buy to win type.
Or do you mean some other weapon?
Anyway, you don't have to use any of those if you feel they are unfairly powerful.

a check didn't arrive?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Parsnip

Bunch of extras.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Chime -- MB-884E6FC6522952B1 - Taken by Spirited
Hack n Slash -- MB-7B02D07EAC34C62E - Taken by gurm3n
Strata -- MB-6187E5C438D7FDF6 - Taken by ExoSoul
Hook -- MB-C48D02043C8E770B - Taken by MaxiLive

Dr Dogg

Hey 6 days is a long time in video game critique land :p

Saying that the first post is paper thin on details and is talking about what seems like the brief showing during the MS briefing and then the second is one more in depth that covers a lot more about the games systems, mechanics and themes in more detail. Impressions come from an actual demo and not a stage showing so what does this tell us? Content showed off at pressers aren't representative? Hands on demos better show off a game, flaws and all? Kotaku really shouldn't create headlines based on small snippets of footage? A combination of these and more besides? Or that all game promotion is a sack of shit and that waiting until the game is out and make your judgements from there on out. Why has 'Pre-Alpha' become this years' nom de guerre for gameplay trailers? Do publisher really think their potential customers are stupid or is this a way of saying 'hey this shit could change you know so don't hold us for account when the final products doesn't hold up to this'. Don't mind me I'm going back to my grumpy corner *hrmphhh*.

dex3108

Did you read past the headline?

Hey 6 days is a long time in video game critique land :p

Saying that the first post is paper thin on details and is talking about what seems like the brief showing during the MS briefing and then the second is one more in depth that covers a lot more about the games systems, mechanics and themes in more detail. Impressions come from an actual demo and not a stage showing so what does this tell us? Content showed off at pressers aren't representative? Hands on demos show off a game flaws and all? Kotaku really shouldn't create headlines based on small snippets of footage? A combination of these and more besides? Or that all game promotion is a sack of shit and that waiting until the game is out and make your judgements from there on out. Why has 'Pre-Alpha' become this years' nom de guerre for gameplay trailers? Do publisher really think their potential customers are stupid or is this a way of saying 'hey this shit could change you know so don't hold us for account when the final products doesn't hold up to this'. Don't mind me I'm going back to my grumpy corner *hrmphhh*.

Well MS Conference demo wasn't that different from what he described in second article. I never thought that MS Conference demo was amazing. Cover, dash through time, shoot. beside time laps inside building it was more-less game we played 100 times before. So it is really strange to see 180 turn when honestly MS never showed mind blowing footage of QB.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Well MS Conference demo wasn't that different from what he described in second article. I never thought that MS Conference demo was amazing. Cover, dash through time, shoot. beside time laps inside building it was more-less game we played 100 times before. So it is really strange to see 180 turn when honestly MS never showed mind blowing footage of QB.

Well it is pretty much a subjective matter to begin with, I had the opinion that it looked kinda repetetive and boring on the showing but for everyone having that opinion it was like 15 who thought it looked amazing in the neogaf thread for the press conference.

I trust in Remedy.

I trust them in world building, fun writing, and to make an interesting game.

I don't know if I trust them to make a mechanically sound game, though. Both Max Payne games they did were essentially Bullet Time shooters that are 6-8 hours of the same gameplay (or, in the case of the dreams in MP1, terrible deviations of it) but wrapped in a great pulp noir atmosphere full of nonsense and great one liners.

AW was better in its narrative but its gameplay is also the weak link to that franchise, too. By the end of the game I was just hauling ass from one spotlight to the next, avoiding the tedium of its combat to see where Remedy's Twin Peak-Pacific Northwest , Stephen King influenced adventure was going to end up.

Which, given how American Nightmare wraps up, was not very fulfilling either.

So while i do love their games and want nothing more than Remedy to continue to do their thing, nothing from that article strikes me as unusual or out of place given Remedy's pedigree. If anything, it just confirms that QB is as much a Remedy game as I want it to be. And i look forward to picking it up for dirt cheap and loving it despite its glaring flaws 6-12 months after its release.

Got some extras!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Undead Bokun, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Lilly and Sasha: Curse of the Immortals -- MB-20498BEEFD021C57 - Taken by ExoSoul
The Clans Saga of the Twins -- MB-068D019C949AC043 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
The Albino Hunter -- MB-5ED90D52B55DB07A - Taken by Lain

I played through Contradiction which I won in Tizoc's giveaway last week. It turned out to be a pretty good experience. In a way it's kind of like a Phoenix Wright game where you visit new locations, gather evidence, talk to all the characters about the case and then find contradictions in their statements. The presentation of the story is quite interesting. You have about 6 hours to determine whether the death of a local girl was a suicide or a murder. Each chapter of the game lasts one hour (not real time) and you have to successfully complete the objectives of the previous one to continue. And the story opens up the further you get along with more locations and people to interview. The acting is deliberately campy and slightly cheesy and it invokes the FMV games of the 90s.

The biggest complaint I had was that the control interface is quite clunky since it's keyboard only, but you do get used to it after a while. It was a Kickstarted game and it feels like they ran out of money near the end so some side story threads are left hanging. The developer mentioned that he would like to make a bigger game of this kind which would cover everything he couldn't in this game. I hope he gets a chance to do that.

On an unrelated note, I feel a little sad to see Enhanced Steam slowly lose functionality on Firefox. I totally understand the reason JS can't update the FF version anymore and I wouldn't want him to feel obligated to. It's just that ES has become such an integral part of the Steam experience for me that it's unfortunate to see it fade away. And yes, I know, I should switch to Chrome. This almost makes me want to.

Lain

Saw this in the Woolfe thread. Looks like another GRIN bit the dust.

This is not just the end of Woolfe, but the end of the studio that I founded and nurtured through ups and downs the past 13 years. In 2002, when I founded GRIN with 2 partners, it was our goal to develop independant games. At the time we were focussed on browser based 3D games. Not an easy market to make a living from at the time. Less than 2 years after we started my 2 partners stepped out; there just wasn’t enough work to go round.

While not losing my passion and still spending every minute of spare time, I generated my basic income doing work-for-hire jobs. Every year the company grew a little stronger, a little better, a little more stable. Until 2 years ago, GRIN had 5 full-time employees exclusively making games for clients, we even made enough money to save a little cash on the side. We would use these savings to create the game of our dreams. Little did we know this would be the beginning of the end…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom