• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

it's ok. Let the modbot gods have at it

As you wish
ModBot said:
Instructions for Hektor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hektor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Trek -- MB-655A6804DDEE0A2C - Taken by fspm. 6 entrants total.

t1439322860z1.png

Since no one replied to me in the New PC thread I may ask about it here:

Hello, I need help with the following build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Memory: Kingston Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.45 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-10 19:52 EDT-0400

Too help put in context what I'm planning with the build, I mainly play not very demanding games like strategy, indies, fighting games etc. The price is a my biggest concern because I live in Brazil and the price of the parts are kind of high considering my incoming.

Knurek

Also - I just finished game 43 of 2015! Thanks again to Se7enSword for Ys VI - it's a really great entry in the series and a super solid action-rpg.

You're so close, JS! If you need something that's short and good, might I recommend Artifex Mundi games? They are usually over in ~4 hours, and are a pretty good way to spend that time.

I guess I should get back to Dark Souls and finish it before Windows 10 upgrade makes the game completely unplayable.
But Binary Domain. But Witcher 3 (whenever I get my 970). But Child of Light...

I am stuck at the same moment my previous game did - Sen's Fortress. There's just something about entering the place, those two Lizmen that are guarding the entrance that just screams 'drop me for something fun'.

Since no one replied to me in the New PC thread I may ask about it here:

SSD or bust.
Seriously, you will thank me for that.
Also, I'd suggest switching 260X to 750 TI. No need for additional power source meaning less heat in case and less strain on PSU and your electricity bill. Not to mention things like NVIDIA Inspector and such.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I am usually not good with words, so sorry in advance for any mishaps. It's never a pleasant sight to see someone changing or loosing their hopes or dreams but the most thrilling, exciting and pleasant things in life can happen without being planned or by going a way not once originally intended to be wandered.
I truly wish you the best not only in your professional but also private life. An incredibly talented and maybe even more importantly enthusiastic and initiative taking person like you will find a great and fitting work place. Sounds cliche and maybe naive but only because I am not sure of it. But that I want to believe in it.

Thanks veggie! I really didn't mean my comment to come across as disparaging though - more like "Things are going great for me and I decided I really don't need to worry about working for a place like Valve."

I've got a great job where I get to help people every day. My daughter is starting college in a few weeks, and I'm teaching my son how to drive this summer. Both my wife and I's health has improved greatly in the last few months and I've been able to get out and exercise more which has really helped. Also - I get to play a lot of video games, which honestly is the biggest measure of success I can think of. It's everything my younger self wanted to be when I grew up.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Orborun -- MB-5509BDCB756F4D09 - Taken by Teppic

Grief.exe

That feel of owning every Metal Gear game on Steam.

xzI9mAy.gif

If we get the Legacy Collection and the PC versions of Silent Hill from Konami, then we will be set.

I somewhat doubt we will see the Silent Hill ports anytime soon, but I would be very surprised if Konami doesn't rebuild Kojima Studios with a Legacy Collection port to PC/PS4/XBO. Metal Gear is just too valuable brand to the company that they wouldn't jump on the backend of the MGSV success.

Pachimari

Thanks to BernardoOne for Metal Gear Solid V! I'll remember that.

I also hope to get access to the Black Ops 3 multiplayer beta soon.

Took a while, but finally Level 30 on Steam. Not sure why I wanted to get that since I no longer really need more slots for friends, but oh well.

As an aside. This email confirmation is tiresome when trying to work with Trashbot and I just want to get rid of a dozen coupons.

Congrats!

You can disable that email confirmation in Edit Profile > My Privacy Settings > Confirmation of Trades

Caerith

Hah, you guys are being too nice. I am all fluttered by your kind words.

Space Marine is my first contact with the Warhammer universe and as you say, I get the feeling there is a lot of lore and I am just thrown into it. People calling me "Lord" instead of usual military nomenclature, treating me like some sort of divinity, saying "leftenant" instead of "lieutenant". I am liking the gothic artstyle of the space ships and generally the artstyle and atmosphere. The turn-based games are not doing much for me though, so I am interested about Total Warhammer and the Space Marine FPS.

now this sounds really interesting..

It was meant to be!

That's not so much a Warhammer thing as it is a British thing.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
That feel of owning every Metal Gear game on Steam.

xzI9mAy.gif

If we get the Legacy Collection and the PC versions of Silent Hill from Konami, then we will be set.

I somewhat doubt we will see the Silent Hill ports anytime soon, but I would be very surprised if Konami doesn't rebuild Kojima Studios with a Legacy Collection port to PC/PS4/XBO. Metal Gear is just too valuable brand to the company that they wouldn't jump on the backend of the MGSV success.

Yeah a legacy collection port would be pretty dumb to not happen with all this MGSV hype right now, but we'll see Konami isn't known to make rational decisions.

L.O.R.D

i need money to buy a game
i have resident evil revelations 2 boxed version ( EU version ) , so it region locked
i put it in the BST thread if anyone interested

Gauntlet got a "big" update today right? anyone played the game? would like to know how much has the game changed since it was released

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gauntlet got a "big" update today right? anyone played the game? would like to know how much has the game changed since it was released

I played it before but not since the big update. I might fire it up here in a few to see how much it's improved. I stopped playing it before because it was farrr to grindy for me to unlock anything.

r3n4ud

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Power-Up -- MB-FFAE0D5D97E858F0 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo
Wimp: Who Stole My Pants? -- MB-48160C7B5C2689E8 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Brilliant Bob -- MB-EAA9FC7FCE304C7F - Taken by Hektor
Organ Biker -- MB-38ADBF1C03B7E8AE - Taken by Kuroyume

Phinor

What a ridiculous name Enslaved has in Steam. Modbot dismissed couple of signs too, better not add them manually in case things break.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition -- MB-391CD60870FCC699 - Taken by creamsugar. 21 entrants total.

t1439334920z1.png

Backlogger

So it looks like PS4 is getting support for gaming communities where you can create your own communities or join existing ones. Someone should create a SteamGAF community ;)

jshackles

You're so close, JS! If you need something that's short and good, might I recommend Artifex Mundi games? They are usually over in ~4 hours, and are a pretty good way to spend that time.

I guess I should get back to Dark Souls and finish it before Windows 10 upgrade makes the game completely unplayable.
But Binary Domain. But Witcher 3 (whenever I get my 970). But Child of Light...

I am stuck at the same moment my previous game did - Sen's Fortress. There's just something about entering the place, those two Lizmen that are guarding the entrance that just screams 'drop me for something fun'.

Thanks, I'll probably have to check out some Artifex Mundi games - I have so many of them and have only played a few. Last year I played Abyss: Wraiths of Eden (aka Bioshock the hidden object game) and it was pretty alright. I have all three Nightmare of the Deep games, I might have to check those out after reading SomeGuyInAHat's hilarious reviews of the series.

Yeah a legacy collection port would be pretty dumb to not happen with all this MGSV hype right now, but we'll see Konami isn't known to make rational decisions.

It would've made even more sense to put out BEFORE hand so all the people who are interested in TPP could buy and replay 3 > PW > GZ in preparation.

But that's Konami for you.

Sitting on valuable brands is what they do. Look at the Contra series? I remember they made a Contra 4 for the NDS awhile back and it was good. But have they made a Contra collection? No. Did they consider porting HCU to PC even? No. They have SH PC code somewhere and more games they could port there... nope.

Dsyndrome

So it looks like PS4 is getting support for gaming communities where you can create your own communities or join existing ones. Someone should create a SteamGAF community ;)

I'd be down for joining one, I need friends on PSN besides my brothers. It'll be weird when Rocket League does eventually get cross-platform play.

SSD or bust.
Seriously, you will thank me for that.
Also, I'd suggest switching 260X to 750 TI. No need for additional power source meaning less heat in case and less strain on PSU and your electricity bill. Not to mention things like NVIDIA Inspector and such.

A 240Gb SSD cost around R$500 here :/

The 750ti is just a bit more pricey tgan the 260x so it may be worth it.

Khronico

Man...

I could really go for another playthrough of MGS4 at 1080p60fps.

It would be pretty awesome to play through the entire series on PC.

Eh, the PS3 stuff isn't as invasive as i thought i was upon replay. now, the stuff with the apple ipod might be a licensing issue.

regardless, youre right in the sense that it can't just be a clean port. Some work needs to be done to de-ps3-ify MGS4 for any possible port outside of a sony console to happen.

Cell powered

yeah, but cell is just a processor that is irrelevant these days. Would Microsoft really pass on having the game on their platform(s) just because of a mention of a CPU that isn't at all meaningful these days?

And it's not that much of a deal on pc

now, how Snake controls the little metal gear, that's gonna need some work:

mgs4-mkII.jpg

Jawmuncher

yeah, but cell is just a processor that is irrelevant these days. Would Microsoft really pass on having the game on their platform(s) just because of a mention of a CPU that isn't at all meaningful these days?

mgs4-mkII.jpg

That wouldn't be a big deal get rid of the stuff in the middle and make the Dpad buttons.
Like those generic controllers you see in ads.

Like for example the N64 is still in banjo on XBL but just no logo on it.

Dsyndrome

mgs4-mkII.jpg

Should be a Steam controller. You're welcome for the advertisement, Valve.

Maniac

Banned
Happy birthday, Maniac.

EDIT:

Later when I finish other stuff first.

Thanks luv!

I'd love to see a WD interpretation of my avi too :eek:
http://www.twitch.tv/pcgamer show is live. Topics will include Windows 10, 144hz monitors, Dark Souls 3, Mass Effect, Skylake and Q&A. I feel like PC gamer's video content is pretty decent but nobody seems to care about it on GAF.
I love Tyler more often than not (he has some absolutely terrible opinions on some games, but to each their own) and I find most of the video content with him pretty damn fun.

yuraya

I would take a Castlevania collection over a Silent Hill collection tbh. Both are great but the Castlevania games were just so much more fun to play.

The problem with a Legacy port is MGS4, full of PS3 references. The game should be re-done, at least regarding a lot of dialogues and easter eggs.
Do a simple port of 1-3 plus PW should be easy, but the Collection would be incomplete. Something like "The Big Boss Collection", with MG3 and PW should, at least, provide some background for MGSV, but again BB appears also in MGS4 and the collection would be incomplete this way too.

No need to redo anything. Just release it the way it was. PC gamers won't care about any of that stuff. SEGA released a perfect port of Valkyria Chronicles (a PS3 exclusive). Konami should just do the same. Didn't Kojima entertain the idea of releasing MGS4 on 360 but said it would need too many discs?

Anyways I think they will release a full legacy collection on PS4/XO/PC in the coming years. No way they let the game die on ps3 which only has on its fingers to live. The franchise is too important for them in terms of $.

No need to redo anything. Just release it the way it was. PC gamers won't care about any of that stuff. SEGA released a perfect port of Valkyria Chronicles (a PS3 exclusive). Konami should just do the same. Didn't Kojima entertain the idea of releasing MGS4 on 360 but said it would need too many discs?

Anyways I think they will release a full legacy collection on PS4/XO/PC in the coming years. No way they let the game die on ps3 which only has on its fingers to live. The franchise is too important for them in terms of $.

while PC gamers might not care, you're assuming Sony would sign off on their copywritten properties just being put on PC and be fine with it. That, and there's other licensing issues to work out, like the fact that there are licensed music tracks in the game and such nonsense as an Apple Ipod in there. If Konami didn't work out the rights to be able to put that stuff on multiple platforms then they would need to re-license that stuff to be in future ports of the game. or program them out.

Unlike Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4 would likely require some work besides just getting it on the PC or other platforms

Hektor

It really doesnt require a huge ammount of work. They'd just need to do the same thing the german version of South Park: tsot did.

mzombie.jpg

-->

mzombiec.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom