• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruruja

How do you guys get out of a gaming rut?

Having recently finished Witcher 3, I find myself struggling to get interested in any games. Just spend my time scrolling through the endless list of games.

go on a movie/tv show/anime binge instead. Eventually you'll get bored of those and come round to games again.

I do it quite regularly.

Eanan

Having recently finished Witcher 3, I find myself struggling to get interested in any games. Just spend my time scrolling through the endless list of games.

When I finish a big single player game like TW3, I usually take a couple weeks break from gaming bar the odd quick multiplayer game of fifa/COD/Halo etc.

Makes me actually want to play a new game and not feel like a chore, since ya know, gaming is meant to be fun, not like a job.

iosefe

Umh, honestly...nope. I want bundled remasters, if this is the case, like they did on PS3. Two or three games, reduced price.
A demo can be interesting, of course, but it's a demo, it should be public and accessible for free by all users. That's the point of a demo, in the end, make you want to purchase a game.

Sony did it right with Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, yes the price tag is too expensive, 70€ for all games, but at least it's a compilation and not a single title like GOW3 Remastered. Bundling a single game with a demo is a bad habit, for me.
It would be a great callback to the original release which came with a DQ8 demo.

Maybe a priority acces thing. Get it a month before it goes public. That way everyone wins. Time is negotiable

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

Use steam roulette, play for 10 minutes, if it doesn't click, spin the roulette again.

yuraya

Going back in time and playing some instant classic from 10-20 years ago usually does it for me.

But I don't really fall into many ruts. I instead have genre fatigue from time to time and going back to play classics makes me love it again.

Momentary

Banned
Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours (PS4/PSV/PC), out winter 2015

I hope it comes to Steam

They sure proved it, when greenlight launched I was under the impression that you only needed your first game approved and could release/publish other ones without the need to go through that process again.

Hell yes. More Shoot'me up goodness. I don't see how they won't bring this to Steam since it's announced on PC.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Ubisoft explains how Zombi will work without a second screen

Quick summary:

- Devs wanted to maintain a minimal HUD in order to preserve ZombiU's sense of lonlieness.
- Mini map now appears in a corner of the screen. Only appears when you need it.
- Increase of FOV to give player more spacial awareness.
- Accessing your backpack still does not pause the game. Backpack interface appears in the middle of the screen while player can still see to the left and right to watch for zombies.
- Multiplayer mode from Wii U removed as it simply couldn't be done without two screens.

Other changes:

- Two new melee weapons: shovel and nail bat. Shovel has longer range and can hit multiple enemies in one swing, nail bat does more damage and also can hit multiple enemies.
- Flashlight has a new high setting with a wider, farther reaching beam but it will attract even more zombies when you use it.
- Flashlight now has a battery and has to recharge (ala Half-Life)
- Game "will perform better on newer consoles" (obvious) and controls have been tweaked to be more responsive.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Coffin Dodgers -- MB-1556FFE19EF2153C - Taken by bobnowhere. 16 entrants total.
Think Mario Kart, but with old people and weapons

t1438541629z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Contradiction -- MB-96905D09FC1A72A5 - Taken by spindoctor. 67 entrants total.

t1438534786z1.png

kswiston

I have been having some pretty severe problems with my Steam/PC in the past couple of weeks and I am not really sure what I should be doing to troubleshoot.

Pretty much everything runs at <10 FPS regardless of how graphically intensive the game is.

I have Win 8.1 running on an i5 4690, R9 280x, and 8GB of RAM. I have not made any hardware changes since November. Games that previously ran well don't work. I haven't made any big changes to what software is on my PC, other than installing regular updates to what was already there.

Everything works fine outside of gaming. No viruses.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can fix this? I briefly had Valkyria Chronicles running at 30 FPS today but then it cut back down to 5 FPS in the middle of a cinema and has stayed that way despite restarts.

EDIT: I think I solved the issue. Thanks everyone!

Jawmuncher

I have been having some pretty severe problems with my Steam/PC in the past couple of weeks and I am not really sure what I should be doing to troubleshoot.

Pretty much everything runs at <10 FPS regardless of how graphically intensive the game is.

I have Win 8.1 running on an i5 4690, R9 280x, and 8GB of RAM. I have not made any hardware changes since November. Games that previously ran well don't work. I haven't made any big changes to what software is on my PC, other than installing regular updates to what was already there.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can fix this? I briefly had Valkyria Chronicles running at 30 FPS today but then it cut back down to 5 FPS in the middle of a cinema and has stayed that way despite restarts.

Have you tried downloading drivers for your card? Seems the W10 update might role people back. If not that it sounds like you're using your motherboard graphics card instead of your actual GPU if games are the only issue.

Are really old games working just fine? Like stuff from the 90s?

kswiston

Have you tried downloading drivers for your card? Seems the W10 update might role people back. If not that it sounds like you're using your motherboard graphics card instead of your actual GPU if games are the only issue.

Are really old games working just fine? Like stuff from the 90s?

It's everything. Even SpaceChem runs at <15FPS, and that game should run fine on 10 year old PCs.

I am running AMD Catalyst version 15.7

Do a format. Too many things can cause those issues. Did you install that Ati software to optimize your GPU? I would uninstall all softwares/drivers related to the GPU, make a CCleaner pass, than install latest driver again and try a game. If this doesn't work, do a format.

I will try CCleaner first. Obviously I would like to avoid a format if possible.

It's everything. Even SpaceChem runs at <15FPS, and that game should run fine on 10 year old PCs.

I will try CCleaner first. Obviously I would like to avoid a format if possible.

AMD did put out 15.7.1 drivers the day Windows 10 launched....no idea if that would solve your issue though

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

dgbg.gif

If I win this, I know what I'm playing this morning.

Red Hood

Banned
My categories:

Action - 2D
Action - Adventure
Action - Isometric
Action - Third Person Shooter
Platformer - 2D
Platformer - First Person
Platformer - Third Person
Puzzle- 2D
Puzzle - Isometric
Puzzle - First Person
Puzzle - Third Person
Rogue - 2D
Rogue - Isometric
Rogue - First Person
Rogue - Third Person
Rogue - Turn Based
Stealth - 2D
Stealth - Isometric
Stealth - First Person
Stealth - Third Person
First Person Melee
FPS - Military
FPS - Multiplayer
FPS - Science Fiction
FPS - Tactical
FPS - Traditional
RPG - Action
RPG - Isometric
RPG - First Person
RPG - Third Person
RPG - Turn Based
Open World - First Person
Open World - Third Person
Point & Click Adventure - First Person
Point & Click Adventure - Third Person
Survival Horror - First Person
Survival Horror - Third Person
Strategy
Strategy - Real Time
Strategy - Turn Based
Tower Defense - Isometric
Tower Defense - First Person
Tower Defense - Third Person
Racing - Arcade
Racing - Simulation
Simulation
Shoot 'Em Up
Beat 'Em Up
Arcade
Casual
Casual - Match 3
Fighting
Hidden Object
Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas
Visual Novel

If I have 3 or more games in a given series i.e Bioshock, deus ex, then they get their own category i.e Bioshock Series.
You have way too many sub genres in my opinion. What if a certain game fits more than one of your genres? I mean for example, Deus Ex Human Revolution fits RPG First Person, RPG Action, Stealth First Person, FPS Science Fiction. Let alone games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls that lets you change to first and third perspective whenever you want.

Turfster

How long have you been running 15.7?
Maybe roll back to an older version?

Could also be a dying drive sucking up cycles, I guess.
Anything have abnormally high cpu percentages in task manager?

Have you run any benchmarks recently? Maybe it's a heat issue or faulty hardware? I really can't think of anything else that might cause that.

Try the TechSupportGAF thread if you're unable to find a resolution. They may be able to give you a better idea of what's wrong.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
"I want you to draw me like one of your french girls"

You have the best witcher 3 screenshots and comments on them of any I've seen.

Still Punk band Geralt was best Geralt!

I have 6 steam categories.
  • Backlogg
  • early access games played when out of early access
  • Gave up/shit/not interested
  • Singleplayer games played right now
  • Completed
  • Multiplayer games

fallout

Selectively reading seems silly to me, but you're doing it anyway. I had more than one post on the topic, bud.
Ha, whups. I'm really late to this and wanted to apologize. My post was mostly a reactionary response to this idea that people should wait that long just to get the complete version.

Red Hood

Banned
I have "Completed", "Removed Games", "Simulator Games" and "Games" categories.

I suppose that could work, depending on how many games you have though. Otherwise I think it could use an extra folder here and then. At the moment I have a map for series if I own 3+ of its games, a general map for each of the bigger genre and a folder called "uninterested" with games I have no intention of ever playing, mostly games I got from bundles and stuff.

DocSeuss

Wow, Hitbox is pretty nice. Might switch over to it from Twitch entirely. Lag's way better, for one thing.

Also, yeesh. I have categories for favorites, finished, early access, 'endless' (stuff that doesn't really have a campaign to it that can be completed), multiplayer, and then various alphabetical categories, a 'queue' for games I'm going to try but haven't yet, a win10 incompatibility category, currently playing, and a hidden 'z' folder for games I won't play anymore (or stuff like expansion packs that launch into the default game where you need both installed but only one needs to run to access both).

kswiston

AMD did put out 15.7.1 drivers the day Windows 10 launched....no idea if that would solve your issue though

I uninstalled catalyst and that gaming evolved app, ran CCleaner, and reinstalled the newest packaged. Everything seems to be working now. The last AMD driver version must have had some bugs with my hardware config.

Thanks to all that offered help/advice!

Sch1sm

My categories:

-snip-

If I have 3 or more games in a given series i.e Bioshock, deus ex, then they get their own category i.e Bioshock Series.

How do you keep track of all this? I have 4 categories total:

Betas
Finished
Focus
Multiplayer

That list seems difficult to manage, the more games you have.

I play something short and effortless. Platformers, generally. Or old titles. Last time I was burnt out I replayed Majora's Mask.

Or I play nothing at all and wait until the urge returns. Sometimes a break is nice. Read or do something else.

Ha, whups. I'm really late to this and wanted to apologize. My post was mostly a reactionary response to this idea that people should wait that long just to get the complete version.

No worries. I know how it gets browsing at night. We're good. o/ 5 years for anything is absurd, let alone a complete. I don't have that sort of patience.

My categories:

This factors into mine as well, though I usually do it for 2 or more now -- franchise tagging.
I try to give each game that isn't a bundle +1 that doesn't pique my interest a genre tag too.

I periodically look through everything that's installed -- sometimes I cull things and say "I'll install it agian later if I ever feel like starting it", or I just move it to #BACKLOG (and Favorites if it's on the short list to be played soon).

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
header.jpg

So since last night's impromptu Quiplash night was fun, I'll be hosting another one tonight.

You don't need to own the game to play!

All you need to do to join is go to jackbox.tv on your mobile device or web browser and type in the room code that will be on screen. Even if you don't get into the game as a player, you can still vote on your favourite quips as an audience member.

Rules:
1. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

t1438563600z4.png

The stream will be here. There's a slight delay (around 5 seconds I think), so keep an eye on your browser/mobile device.

inm8num2

I used to categorize games by bundle - that didn't take long to become a clusterfuck.

It would be neat to see the library system overhauled. I think a tagging system would work nicely - functionally similar to how you can multiple categories for a game now, but allowing you to filter by one or more tags for whatever reason (e.g. 'unplayed' + 'fps'). Having multiple sub-libraries would also be helpful.

As of now I mainly use a spreadsheet to help keep track of games and what to play.

I do something else, another hobby or project for a while. Another tactic of mine is to look through the steam store and "shop"for things I already own trying to conjure excitement I had for whatever game I had before owning it. Watching the pre release trailers can hype me up too.

Also, sometimes I start a game if I see it on sale and pretend I just got it and can play along with other new owners.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
header.jpg

So since last night's impromptu Quiplash night was fun, I'll be hosting another one tonight.

All you need to do to join is go to jackbox.tv on your mobile device or web browser and type in the room code that will be on screen. Even if you don't get into the game as a player, you can still vote on your favourite quips as an audience member.

Rules:

t1438567200z4.png

The stream will be here. There's a slight delay (around 5 seconds I think), so keep an eye on your browser/mobile device.

I'm going to win atleast once this time!

I start up a game even if I don't feel like it, then after I've started I almost always enjoy the game.

Ruruja

So I installed the latest PhysX and now Mafia II and Deadly Premonition both work again. I remember someone else in the thread having a similar issue with Mafia II to me, so just letting them know about this too.

Sch1sm

header.jpg

Rules:

t1438567200z4.png

I'll join in this time. Seems a fun time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom