• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Did this suffer a development hell too? Is there some docs to read? I like that stuff.
duno about docs, but it was delayed many times, changed leads like three times i think, sega was constantly changing directions for the game, and there's a lot of cut content that i won't spoil for you that would be awesome to see fully realized in the game

like, that was why i was thinking kickstarter, sega will never use the license and just restoring cut content and improving gameplay a bit should be pretty affordable for a kickstarter budget

dunno how costly it would be to port it to ue4 but that would be cool too

biggest issue i can think is sega being dicks and console releases, but who knows

I remember
the main character was a sith lord, a talking homicide robot, a character called Bastila, or something like that...but I think this is KOTOR 1, right? Regarding Kotor 2 I only remember this base with the character waking up on a bad.

You don't remember Kreia. Perhaps you played the first half an hour of KotOR2, but not much beyond that.

Seriously, you'd know if you really played KotOR2.

Turfster

Every time you screenshot in Venetica, you toggle the HUD/message prompts off/on.
The voice acting is uh... not bad, but really tonedeaf.

milena87

If you don't remember Kreia you didn't play KotOR2.

I agree. KotOR 2 is such a memorable game. KotOR 1 has the twist and it's a well done Star Wars game, while KotOR 2 tries something different and actually challenges the notion of the force.

I love it.

Well, I think this solve the issue. And probably, I'll start KOTOR2 right after AP.
So, a question: if I install the restoration mod, can I trigger some bugs, or is it a stable release? Is the restored content good, or it was cut for a reason? Because if there are problems with it, I'll install the vanilla game only.

It's pretty stable now. You can still encounter bugs of course, but that is true for the vanilla version as well. I'd play with the restored content and make many different save files, just to be sure.
I'm playing through it now and I've only encountered one major bug on Dxun/Onderon. I just restarted a previous save.

Play it é_é

Wok

well i always use notepads with the little squares for drawing maps for my games lol

this one is like map map map map map random her story scribbles map map map map map

well i tried but

I love the screenshot you posted in Steam Activity with no context.

84F4LYd.png

"not gonna provide any context for this"

Need to play this game now that I am intrigued.

Finished the playthrough I had going of Kotor 2 after the latest update and it really is a shame that they weren't able to finish the game. Even with the restored content mode the entire end game is almost hallucinatory in how poorly it flows together.

Better fix your browsing habits in the coming weeks. Correct that muscle memory before Metal Gear Solid drops weeks before the PC version.

nah boy, i got MGS5 coming on ps4, took advantage of that walmart pricing error around the beginning of the year and price matched it at best buy(along with kingdom hearts 3 and Uncharted 4). I'll most likely get a Nividia code for pc too depending on the prices.

safe_image.php

Just watched a video about this Mini Virtual Pinball table and now I'm really tempted to get one. It uses a low-latency monitor for the screen and runs on Windows. It comes with Pinball FX2, Pinball Arcade, Ikaruga, Procyon, and MAME and can use your existing Steam account. Also comes with $150 Steam credit. Unfortunately it costs $2,500. :(

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Just a reminder since I will be out for a couple of hours. Also, I noticed that the countdown was set to 7pm Pacific instead of 6pm like I intended, which I have corrected.

header.jpg

So since last night's impromptu Quiplash night was fun, I'll be hosting another one tonight.

You don't need to own the game to play!

All you need to do to join is go to jackbox.tv on your mobile device or web browser and type in the room code that will be on screen. Even if you don't get into the game as a player, you can still vote on your favourite quips as an audience member.

Rules:
1. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

t1438563600z4.png

The stream will be here. There's a slight delay (around 5 seconds I think), so keep an eye on your browser/mobile device.

Dr Dogg

Here's how KOTOR II's seemingly rushed development went. Obsidian were given a deadline for Xmas 04, did great work which LucasArts loved and wanted to expand on so pushed forward the release date to mid '05 and expand it, then something loopy happened as LA, they wanted it out asap (ie the original release date), Obsidian didn't get their contract updated and then had to rush it out the door.

There's a great article on Kotaku by Schreier that he wrote around the time of the Pillars kickstarter that explores Obsidian's history. There's also a good piece on RPS where I think Grayson interviewed Avellone and he detailed some of the stuff he wanted to include in KOTOR II if they had the time.

Edit: Here you go because I know a lot of you are lazy.

http://kotaku.com/5968952/the-knigh...e-some-of-the-coolest-role-playing-games-ever

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/04/obsidians-avellone-on-torment-kotor-2-alpha-protocol/

well early on i was following threads but now i'm just clearing the database

i got my theories of what's happening but at the same time i'm kind of confused about a few things that throw me off

i really like this game, but running out of ideas for the database thingie

also that silly game in the garbage bin i have no idea how to win it lol

game relies on a lot of tropes and mike isn't the most interesting of protagonists (unless you go full psycho with him, then he's amazing), but i think the story overall is pretty ok, the supporting cast is fantastic and the choice and consequence is probably the best that ever was in a videogame

it's not the witcher where geralt has a lot of story of his own (tho still amnesia cos u know, videogames), ap is about your actions more than anything, and since u get the three options for even replying to emails, you're like always creating character for yourself

I think Geralt had amnesia just so they could focus on original stories. If Geralt could remember everything from the books, he'd just be interested/involved in stuff that would take them a while to explain and / or would have to focus the game around it.

go on a movie/tv show/anime binge instead. Eventually you'll get bored of those and come round to games again.

I do it quite regularly.

I have picked up reading Dragonball / Dragonball Z. That should keep me busy for a while.

Use steam roulette, play for 10 minutes, if it doesn't click, spin the roulette again.

I like this idea. Thanks.

really glad we're not doing a fantasy football league this year, cause last year was a mess

Yeah. It worked for about a week and then i think everyone checked out.

"I want you to draw me like one of your french girls"

Dude. Stahp

safe_image.php

Just watched a video about this Mini Virtual Pinball table and now I'm really tempted to get one. It uses a low-latency monitor for the screen and runs on Windows. It comes with Pinball FX2, Pinball Arcade, Ikaruga, Procyon, and MAME and can use your existing Steam account. Also comes with $150 Steam credit. Unfortunately it costs $2,500. :(

I wish I had the money to import one of those.

To W10 or not W10 that is the question!!!!

You have the option to revert to your former OS in a month. So I'll say give it a shot, and if you dislike it then go back.

Personally, i have nothing but praise for it right now. It hasn't caused any issues for me as yet and neither has it disrupted my usual activities. Just make sure to disable the bandwidth allocation thing and the ad tracking.

Knurek

And Mass Effect 3 done.
90 hours spread through all three games in the series in the last three weeks.
I sure got my money's worth here/
Just wish ME3 was on Steam. It's ridiculous that EA doesn't want to maximize their profit for the game - I'm sure a lot of folks would gladly double dip (or purchase the PC version for the first time).
Oh well, EA gonna EA.

What was the deal folks with the ending? I found it completely acceptable and logical. Might help that I had both the Extended Ending and Leviathan DLCs installed.

Uzzy

What was the deal folks with the ending? I found it completely acceptable and logical. Might help that I had both the Extended Ending and Leviathan DLCs installed.

Well, when you're left with questions such as 'did I just genocide the entire galaxy?', there's a few issues.

Actually, I'll expand on this because I still feel rage over how they entirely fucked up the ending and the entire series.
They completely change the theme of the entire game from 'We must stop the Reapers' to 'We must resolve the fundamental tension between synthetic and organic life' which, uh, I kinda managed to show how to do by getting the Quarians and the Geth to co-exist, but whatever. Lets just change the central conflict of the game, and give people exactly 14 lines of dialogue to explore this change!

They abandon the idea of giving details about your choices, making them impossible to reasonably make. You don't know if, for example, the destroy ending will wipe out the Quarians. Or if you genocided the galaxy by destroying all the mass relays. Or just what the hell the synthesis ending means. Or if by destroying the mass relays, you didn't just condemn several civilisation's fleets to starve to death in Earth orbit.

And for good measure, lets just fuck with the rest of the squad too, by showing them running away from the fight to decide it all and crash on some far off planet, where again, at least some of the survivors will starve to death. It's sure good to know that at the finale of it all, Joker's a goddamn coward who flees from the final battle to decide the fate of galactic civilisation.

Yes, the Extended Ending clarified some issues. But that original ending is indefensibly terrible. Series destroying terrible.

Sajjaja

And Mass Effect 3 done.
90 hours spread through all three games in the series in the last three weeks.
I sure got my money's worth here/
Just wish ME3 was on Steam. It's ridiculous that EA doesn't want to maximize their profit for the game - I'm sure a lot of folks would gladly double dip (or purchase the PC version for the first time).
Oh well, EA gonna EA.

There's also the issue that your choices in the last games meant jack shit, aside from which characters are alive of course.

Knurek

Well, when you're left with questions such as 'did I just genocide the entire galaxy?', there's a few issues.

Dunno, maybe that was EE addition, but there was a few minutes long ending movie that explained everything that had happened.

There's also the issue that your choices in the last games meant jack shit, aside from which characters are alive of course.

It's not like they mattered when going from ME1 to ME2, aside from which characters were alive.

derExperte

That sure helped but the main issue is that you get those three choices no matter what you did before, it comes across as very arbitrary.

Turfster

Oh well, EA gonna EA.

They just need to put a version with all the fucking DLC on Steam, or even fucking Origin.

Dr Dogg

I think you really had to be there at the time to understand some peeps beef with ME3. But then again it's the usual case of prerelease 'Hype' not living up to the actual game. Then again you have the other issue where you have a bunch of devs wheeled out in front of the camera or microphone to chat about what they have been working on in isolation for the past 3 years and not really got a sense of perspective of the overall project that an outsider would see. So when you get folks like Mac Walters, Mike Laidlaw and Casey Hudson saying that 'Your choices will have consequence' 'Every question will be answered' and 'The ending wont be cheapened' and it turns out to be a load of bollocks you can see how some folks were a bit peeved, more so the one's who had invested themselves in their 'Shep' a bit too emotionally over the course of 2.99 games.

The reactions of some of them were absolutely horrible though. I mean for fucks sake it's just a game. There are far worse things that could happen to anyone on a day to day basis than get conned by a bunch of suits. Chalk it up to getting mugged off and learn from the experience. Oh but wait EA will say sorry and everything is forgiven for the majority of the aggrieved.

Knurek

That sure helped but the main issue is that you get those three choices no matter what you did before, it comes across as very arbitrary.

Four actually.
You can shoot the SpaceChild for a special ending

And I don't see how that's any different from ME2's Everybody lives/Some folks die/Everybody dies endings.

If your using win 8.1, this seems to be a known problem. I've had the same issue as well. However magically it fixed by itself. Here are some things you can do to see if it helps:

How to fix DNS Server Not Responding Error Normally
Open command prompt window by clicking on Run –> cmd (run with administrator privilege)

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt This will reset the ip

type netsh winsock reset. This command will create a prompt to restart the computer, don’t restart now. This will help reset winsock settings. Although resetting winsock is not related to this error, this might be helpful in fixing other issues which can lead to this error.

type ipconfig /flushdns This will help in flushing the stored DNS cache. Restart the computer and check if the issue is fixed.

Try this step if you still have the same problem.

Do a power cycle of modem and computer. Turn off your computer and then turn off the modem and router (if present). Keep it turned off for 5mts and then restart all the devices.Check if the issue is fixed.

Revert Network Adapter Drivers

If you have recently turned up to Windows 8.1, it is informed that the Network Adapter drivers have already been updated with this major Windows update. This might be the reason of WiFi being not in a working order. The first thing you

can try is to roll back the Network Adapter drivers to an older version in the following way.

On Start screen type Device Manager and hit Enter
In the list of driver categories, expand Network adapters to view items under it
Right click the Wireless Connection and choose to Update Driver Software
In the new screen appeared, click the option Browse my computer for driver software
On the next screen, click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
On Select Network Adapter screen, you will probably find more than one device drivers listed for this hardware
Choose the one stating Manufacturer’s name instead of Microsoft and click Next
Once the installation finishes, Restart your computer to take the effect

Still if the issue is not fixed, try the steps below.

Open ncpa.cpl from Start tab. This will open network connections
right click local area connection, then click properties
Select Internet protocol version(TCP/IPv4), then click properties
Select internet protocol ,select “use the following DNS server address”
change DNS server address to global DNS value given below
Preferred 208.67.222.222
Alternate 208.67.220.220 (You can also use Google’s DNS address preferred 8.8.8.8 and alternate 8.8.4.4)
Check if issue is fixed. Changing the Preferred and Alternate error usually fix most of the cases.

Hope these help
Oh wow :eek: Thanks for all your efforts buddy. I tried the first part so far. Let's hope that solves it!
How do you guys get out of a gaming rut?

Having recently finished Witcher 3, I find myself struggling to get interested in any games. Just spend my time scrolling through the endless list of games.
There's dozens of us. Dozens!

Haha, for real though, I believe we should do more game nights or sessions in much quicker succession and with shorter planning time as in "hey let's play chivalry in 30mins". Someone or the group taking the task of choosing a game to play really helps. It did it for me. Hopefully I'll do something like that tomorrow.
My categories:

If I have 3 or more games in a given series i.e Bioshock, deus ex, then they get their own category i.e Bioshock Series.
So. Many. Categories.

Dsyndrome

Never thought I'd see someone else with a Wiegraf avatar. Nice taste!

Original ME: ending was just a color swap with nothing even trying to provide closure. Citadel DLC did pretty well with that, I thought.

Hold the fuck up, why do I have ricochets avatar?

Edit: Most have been a mobile fuck-up? I don't know.

So I'm guessing since Gears of War: Ultimate Edition hasn't shown up for pre-order yet that Steam isn't included in Microsoft's PC plans. Reasonable?

Sober

well early on i was following threads but now i'm just clearing the database

i got my theories of what's happening but at the same time i'm kind of confused about a few things that throw me off

i really like this game, but running out of ideas for the database thingie

also that silly game in the garbage bin i have no idea how to win it lol
Check out the spoiler thread for Her Story, it's quite lengthy and a good read about how people interpreted the events of the game.

Also I think at some point after 50% to 75% (you get achievements) you more or less get the whole thing plus stuff you want to work with. I think otherwise hunting for videos to clear is kinda pointless as it's just busywork imo that's not necessary or important at all.

Grief.exe

So I'm guessing since Gears of War: Ultimate Edition hasn't shown up for pre-order yet that Steam isn't included in Microsoft's PC plans. Reasonable?

There is precednet for Microsoft releasing their initially Windows Store exclusive games on Steam at a later date. They did that for Spartan Assault and Skulls of the Shogun.

Though I'd imagine this new initiative may predicate the games staying Windows store exclusive, especially with Killer Instinct offering cross buy.

it's one of those games where development hell is very apparent, like kotor2

would be awesome if sega let obs borrow the license for a kickstarter project for fixing bugs, tweaking gameplay and restoring cut content

KOTOR II wasn't in development hell just rushed.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of games stuck in Origin limbo that more folks should have played, I'd love to see Need for Speed Most Wanted (12) break free one day. Burnout Paradise with licenced cars and no mind numbing, ear bleadingly annoying DJ Atomica, what's not to love? Of course to be worth while it would need to come over with all the DLC and Steam chieveos but fat chance of that happening due to licenced cars and music oh and seeing how Criterion is pretty much dead now :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Speaking of games stuck in Origin limbo that more folks should have played, I'd love to see Need for Speed Most Wanted (13) break free one day. Burnout Paradise with licenced cars and no mind numbing, ear bleadingly annoying DJ Atomica, what's not to love? Of course to be worth while it would need to come over with all the DLC and Steam chieveos but fat chance of that happening due to licenced cars and music oh and seeing how Criterion is pretty much dead now :(

If they could remove Criterion's patented hand-holding unskippable cut-scenes, you'd have a pretty great game.

I no longer trust Criterion to treat me like a sentient creature anymore. Their games are fun, but usually require you to sit in front of an unskippable tutorial on breathing, blinking, and the rudimentary concepts of what a videogame is.

If a caveman were thawed out of some ice, I'd plop him in front of a Criterion game as I'm pretty sure it'd bring him up to speed on the last 40,000 years of human endeavor.

Deitus

Four actually.
You can shoot the SpaceChild for a special ending

Another option that wasn't in the original ending. Also, you basically had to play multiplayer in order to unlock the green ending. And you only got about two lines of dialogue explaining what each ending was prior to making your choice, and after making your choice all you get is a short clip of Earth and the rest of the galaxy covered with a different colored light, followed by a shot of your crew crash landing on a strange planet, and roll credits (okay, there was also a scene where Buzz Aldrin tells his grandkid "and that's the story of the Shepard" that served no real purpose).

Seriously, the revised ending was not great, but the original version was a travesty.

I just dont have a clue why K-Ts Ports are mostly shit.

Not performance-wise, but DoA5 still doesnt have the online mode, OP Warriors wont have it, DW8XL had you to configure the gamepad yourself...

Well, I think this solve the issue. And probably, I'll start KOTOR2 right after AP.
So, a question: if I install the restoration mod, can I trigger some bugs, or is it a stable release? Is the restored content good, or it was cut for a reason? Because if there are problems with it, I'll install the vanilla game only.

Play with the content restored mod, it's the only way to play. It will be a bigger, fuller, and more complete and polished game than the original release with the only bummer being one dungeon it adds dragging a lot.

Let me warn you right now, though, that even with Content Restored KotOR2 falls apart in its final third. Elements of it being rushed and unfinished are obvious, due to how disjointed it can be. That said, don't let this hold you back from playing, instead let it serve as a reminder of how good KotOR2 could've been had Obsidian been allowed to finish it.

KotOR2, inspite of its significant shortcomings, is remembered and respected as a classic for good reasons, ones that you'll discover as you play.

Grief.exe

Any sort you're looking for?

Suffering 1 can be had for free thanks to the Military... for... some... reason, but the game has in-game ads because of it for the military. XD;

That's interesting, I used to play America's Army back in the day so that doesn't bother me.

Source?

zkylon

zkylewd
Check out the spoiler thread for Her Story, it's quite lengthy and a good read about how people interpreted the events of the game.

Also I think at some point after 50% to 75% (you get achievements) you more or less get the whole thing plus stuff you want to work with. I think otherwise hunting for videos to clear is kinda pointless as it's just busywork imo that's not necessary or important at all.
that's true but i'm pretty dumb and got my theories but nothing super conclusive for me yet

dunno if there is such a thing in the game

yea it's pretty old

KOTOR II wasn't in development hell just rushed.
what

ever

dood

I think Geralt had amnesia just so they could focus on original stories. If Geralt could remember everything from the books, he'd just be interested/involved in stuff that would take them a while to explain and / or would have to focus the game around it.
i mean, yeah, but it's just a tired trope that i don't like seeing anymore

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That's interesting, I used to play America's Army back in the day so that doesn't bother me.

Source?

You can find it a few ways. It's the 1.1 patch, it made the game free for people to download and fixed some things with the PC version, the military sponsored it and made the game free to play, but it added military ads.

Here's a few places to get it:
http://the-suffering.en.softonic.com/download
http://www.freewarefiles.com/The-Suffering_program_44708.html
http://megagames.com/freeware/suffering-free-full-game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom