• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware

Meh as a category?
I had that before we could hide games. Now I see no reason to have a category for games I find "meh", I just hide them.
I have this extremely simple list since then
dK1wWCq.png

Quick impressions for the bundle-mazing Dark Arcana: The Carnival:

You play a nameless female "Detective" (this is shades of Mystery Case Files stuff from Big Fish Games) investigating the disappearance of one Susan Jones from a carnival. Her daughter had "a nightmare about a very evil place" and the officer on the scene appeared to take this as serious evidence. You go to interview the carnival manager, Jim Gibbons, only to find he flees the scene and locks a gate behind him, but then drops the key behind the gate as if to taunt you. Your character muses aloud "Why did he drop the key?" and you know what? It's never explained, because if he hadn't done that, he'd actually have gotten away with his plan. Anyway, things get supernatural as there are mirrors that transport you to a "mirror world" where things get creepier (as if carnivals aren't creepy enough!) At times you see the mirror world start to seep into the regular one. It's a nice effect, and I especially liked how you had to do some of the same hidden object scenes in both worlds (only they look slightly different/creepier) but I kinda wish there was a bit more jumping back and forth. They could have explored it more than they did, and that's kind of a shame. The absolute biggest bonus to the story is that the twist ending is decent. They lay clues to it, but at first it's not very predictable. I gotta say, they put a good effort in on that one.

The gameplay is much more classic, which is fine, and once again they have a tacked-on "alternate" game called "Monaco" which...is pretty bad. It looks to be matching pairs like mahjong, only instead of stacks, it's just an array and you can move rows and columns. I'm not even sure if it'll be worth the achievements to try it. The minigames are relatively easy, and now that I'm playing a bunch in a row I'm starting to see them repeating. That's a bit frustrating, to have seen a minigame before.

The voice acting in this one is actually pretty good. They could have so easily given the carnival manager a stereotypically evil crazy voice, but they went with something softer. He didn't sound crazy, just desperate, which was great voice direction.

The graphics are about what you'd expect in a hidden-object game.

The verdict: Not AM's best effort, but a good story (by HOG standards) with decent gameplay make it worth your time to play.

Spyware

Upgraded to Windows 10, graphics card disappeared and Nvidia driver installation keeps failing.

*prolonged scream*
I uninstalled everything that had anything to do with Geforce/Nvidia, restarted and reinstalled Experience. After that it let me install the "Windows 10 Driver" without any problems. How have you tried to do it?

The categories that i use are :

Arcade
Beat em ups
Dungeon Crawler
Emulators
Fighting Games
FPS
Metroidvania
MOBAs
Multiplayer ( 2 )
Multiplayer ( 3/4 )
Open World
Pending
Pending ( PC Upgrade )
Platformers
Puzzles
Racing
Rhythm
Roguelike
RPG
RTS
Shoot em ups
TPS
Visual Novels

Having 2 multiplayer categories helps me to find games that i can play when friends come to my house , sometimes i remembered that a game had local multiplayer but wasnt sure how many players it supported.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of thesaucetastic, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Coffin Dodgers -- MB-1556FFE19EF2153C - Taken by bobnowhere. 16 entrants total.
Think Mario Kart, but with old people and weapons

t1438541629z1.png

header.jpg

So since last night's impromptu Quiplash night was fun, I'll be hosting another one tonight.

You don't need to own the game to play!

All you need to do to join is go to jackbox.tv on your mobile device or web browser and type in the room code that will be on screen. Even if you don't get into the game as a player, you can still vote on your favourite quips as an audience member.

Rules:
1. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

t1438567200z4.png

The stream will be here. There's a slight delay (around 5 seconds I think), so keep an eye on your browser/mobile device.

If i'm still awake by then, i'll join.

Your computer's as good as bricked now.
Lol, I know it's fixable. Just an annoying process.

I uninstalled everything that had anything to do with Geforce/Nvidia, restarted and reinstalled Experience. After that it let me install the "Windows 10 Driver" without any problems. How have you tried to do it?
Going through all of that now.

Fortunately it doesn't have charms.

Only 8.0's kids will remember this
Getting rid of the Charms bar was a huge mistake.

Dsyndrome

Am I the only person that groups by IP? Star Wars, Blackwell, etc. Other than that, just beaten and the uncategorized.

I tried categorizing once and they all opened at random so I said fuck it and now I just have a mess of 800 games.

If I use a vpn to grab Act of Aggression/Tembo and a vpn to redeem it on steam am I going to get banned? Would it be playable without a vpn?

I wish I had caught quiplash last night. Probably won't be able to play tonight, but it looks like a lot of fun.

I like the idea of infinite players. 1vs100 on Xbox Live was the best.

Momentary

Banned
Come on MusouGAF, where's the hype?
header.jpg

Game's gonna have a slick selection of playable characters-
Fujitora
Hawkeye
Buggy da gawd
Crocodile
Rob 'Pigeon Pimp' Lucci
Marco

Thinking about trying this since it's being published by Bandai Namco. They could have had QLOC help with the PC port.

BHK3

Banned
header.jpg

Fujitora
Hawkeye
Buggy da gawd
Crocodile
Rob 'Pigeon Pimp' Lucci
Marco

I really fear the port won't be any good after seeing dynasty warriors.

Haunted

Quick impressions for the bundle-mazing Dark Arcana: The Carnival:

You play a nameless female "Detective" (this is shades of Mystery Case Files stuff from Big Fish Games) investigating the disappearance of one Susan Jones from a carnival. Her daughter had "a nightmare about a very evil place" and the officer on the scene appeared to take this as serious evidence. You go to interview the carnival manager, Jim Gibbons, only to find he flees the scene and locks a gate behind him, but then drops the key behind the gate as if to taunt you. Your character muses aloud "Why did he drop the key?" and you know what? It's never explained, because if he hadn't done that, he'd actually have gotten away with his plan. Anyway, things get supernatural as there are mirrors that transport you to a "mirror world" where things get creepier (as if carnivals aren't creepy enough!) At times you see the mirror world start to seep into the regular one. It's a nice effect, and I especially liked how you had to do some of the same hidden object scenes in both worlds (only they look slightly different/creepier) but I kinda wish there was a bit more jumping back and forth. They could have explored it more than they did, and that's kind of a shame. The absolute biggest bonus to the story is that the twist ending is decent. They lay clues to it, but at first it's not very predictable. I gotta say, they put a good effort in on that one.

The gameplay is much more classic, which is fine, and once again they have a tacked-on "alternate" game called "Monaco" which...is pretty bad. It looks to be matching pairs like mahjong, only instead of stacks, it's just an array and you can move rows and columns. I'm not even sure if it'll be worth the achievements to try it. The minigames are relatively easy, and now that I'm playing a bunch in a row I'm starting to see them repeating. That's a bit frustrating, to have seen a minigame before.

The voice acting in this one is actually pretty good. They could have so easily given the carnival manager a stereotypically evil crazy voice, but they went with something softer. He didn't sound crazy, just desperate, which was great voice direction.

The graphics are about what you'd expect in a hidden-object game.

The verdict: Not AM's best effort, but a good story (by HOG standards) with decent gameplay make it worth your time to play.
I've sung Artifex Mundi praises in the point n click adventure thread, but their singular best effort so far has been Grim Legends.

They're one of if not the best hidden object game developers, but even with that, most of their games are just "ok".

Phinor

Fortunately it doesn't have charms.

Only 8.0's kids will remember this

I used Windows 8.0 from the day it was released until the day 8.1 was released and 8.1 until 10 was released. I've no idea what charms are but.. charms woo!

XShagrath

You have way too many sub genres in my opinion. What if a certain game fits more than one of your genres? I mean for example, Deus Ex Human Revolution fits RPG First Person, RPG Action, Stealth First Person, FPS Science Fiction. Let alone games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls that lets you change to first and third perspective whenever you want.
You can have games in multiple categories. I've got 35 categories on mine.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had that before we could hide games. Now I see no reason to have a category for games I find "meh", I just hide them.

Heh, I didn't know you could hide games... Still keeping the Meh though. There's nothing installed there, so it's a hidden anyway if I just select installed

Playing Valiant Hearts, it's great.

Dr Dogg

Well after watching the Charity Shield in 4K earlier today I think I'm pretty much sold. Game was rubbish bar a blinder from The Ox early on but Blimey O'Riely is the extra resolution a night and day difference over regular bog standard HD.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/331600/header.jpg?t=1437738562[img]

[spoiler]Fujitora
Hawkeye
Buggy da gawd
Crocodile
Rob 'Pigeon Pimp' Lucci
Marco
[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Gives me shit for preordering AssCreed Syndicate, then tries to drum up a 'Hype Circus' for a game published by Koei Tecmo. Hypocrisy! Hypocrisy of the highest order!!!

At least I take my risks on possibly wonkey games on my own and not try to drag a whole bunch to their doom with me.

But I'm not a total arsehole so I hope for your sake that it turns out well and it's a decent PC port. [spoiler]Hopefully you realise this is me taking the piss out of you saying I had Stockholm Syndrome and it's all in jest. See here's a smiley :p only jokey people use smileys.[/spoiler]

Tizoc

Well after watching the Charity Shield in 4K earlier today I think I'm pretty much sold. Game was rubbish bar a blinder from The Ox early on but Blimey O'Riely is the extra resolution a night and day difference over regular bog standard HD.

Gives me shit for preordering AssCreed Syndicate, then tries to drum up a 'Hype Circus' for a game published by Koei Tecmo. Hypocrisy! Hypocrisy of the highest order!!!

At least I take my risks on possibly wonkey games on my own and not try to drag a whole bunch to their doom with me.

But I'm not a total arsehole so I hope for your sake that it turns out well and it's a decent PC port.
Hopefully you realise this is me taking the piss out of you saying I had Stockholm Syndrome and it's all in jest. See here's a smiley :p only jokey people use smileys.

Eh fair enough, this is by 'Scamco' after all so we're in similar boats.
However what One Piece has over Butt Cream Syndicate is a character with a top hat that's actually badass...and had a meme to begin with :V

Maniac

Banned

But I'm not a total arsehole so I hope for your sake that it turns out well and it's a decent PC port.
Hopefully you realise this is me taking the piss out of you saying I had Stockholm Syndrome and it's all in jest. See here's a smiley :p only jokey people use smileys.

Anyone that likes EA* and Ubi games totally have stockholm syndrome though.

*Electronic Arts. Which are, in a way, also early-access anyway. Which I suppose is the case for Ubi aswell... Err...

ngt

Anyone that likes EA* and Ubi games totally have stockholm syndrome though.

*Electronic Arts. Which are, in a way, also early-access anyway. Which I suppose is the case for Ubi aswell... Err...

These days any AAA is EA (early access) anyway.

Sober

well i always use notepads with the little squares for drawing maps for my games lol

this one is like map map map map map random her story scribbles map map map map map

well i tried but
If you're just collecting keywords that's sorta missing the point, but I assume you've already figured out how the story actually went, right? I just can't tell from your notes, personally.

There's always that trick where you just tag each video uniquely until you clear the board if that's what you're looking for. Or just go into the game's folder to watch everything in order.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I started Alpha Protocol, beated the first mission (I mean, the whole Saudi Arabia chapter), the game reminds me of The Borne Identity mixed with Peace Walker. I like it, but the main character feels a little...bland? I mean, he literally pop out of nowhere, he's just the classic american soldier stucked in a horrible conspiracy.

I hope from this point the plot will become better, for now there are a lot of clichés and nothing really new. The gameplay is very funny and it's the only reason I'm playing it, graphics are ok, much better looking than PS3 version at least.

The main character is only as bland as the person playing him.

Jawmuncher

The main character is only as bland as the person playing him.

I will agree to that. My guy was such a dick it was pretty awesome.

----------

Was just surprised with Ark: Survival Evolved by a fellow SteamGAFer. Can't wait to try it out. I'll need to try and capture some T-Rexes!

zkylon

zkylewd
If you're just collecting keywords that's sorta missing the point, but I assume you've already figured out how the story actually went, right? I just can't tell from your notes, personally.

There's always that trick where you just tag each video uniquely until you clear the board if that's what you're looking for. Or just go into the game's folder to watch everything in order.
well early on i was following threads but now i'm just clearing the database

i got my theories of what's happening but at the same time i'm kind of confused about a few things that throw me off

i really like this game, but running out of ideas for the database thingie

also that silly game in the garbage bin i have no idea how to win it lol

I started Alpha Protocol, beated the first mission (I mean, the whole Saudi Arabia chapter), the game reminds me of The Borne Identity mixed with Peace Walker. I like it, but the main character feels a little...bland? I mean, he literally pop out of nowhere, he's just the classic american soldier stucked in a horrible conspiracy.

I hope from this point the plot will become better, for now there are a lot of clichés and nothing really new. The gameplay is very funny and it's the only reason I'm playing it, graphics are ok, much better looking than PS3 version at least.
game relies on a lot of tropes and mike isn't the most interesting of protagonists (unless you go full psycho with him, then he's amazing), but i think the story overall is pretty ok, the supporting cast is fantastic and the choice and consequence is probably the best that ever was in a videogame

it's not the witcher where geralt has a lot of story of his own (tho still amnesia cos u know, videogames), ap is about your actions more than anything, and since u get the three options for even replying to emails, you're like always creating character for yourself

zkylon

zkylewd
I chuckled when I reached these clips because I know exactly what Barlowe was thinking when he put them in there. :D
it's cool that there's some keywords there to "punish" you for going with cilche routes

in general the game is really cool

Maybe the problem is I tend to play "good dude" characters, but in example Geralt "paladin" mode is very interesting, Mike otherwise it's just...well, bland.

I think a character should be always interesting, of course if you play a psycho it's an easy win, but even a positive run should provide some fun. I can't judge other characters yet, I think I did like 1/6 of the game so I will reserve an opinion for later.
i found mike is pretty ok however you play him, tho some ways are more fun than others, just because of the silliness in them

i really enjoyed some good guy mike interactions tho, and i've beaten this game like 6 times so it's not just psycho mike that's fun

i generally like playing more scoundrel-like characters cos paladins are boring

All this talk about AP makes me wanna play it again, ugh. I need my beta protocol, obsidian pls.
we all need it

i think the issue is that it's not really a game that could work from an isometric perspective with only text i feel

you need the big budget and sadly publishers are idiots that don't help genius when it's right fucking there

like cmon bethesda, throw obs a bone, allow them to make their own dishonored

Jawmuncher

The conversation stuff was the main reason I enjoyed Alpha Protocol. The game itself was a cool premise, but it needed longer in the polishing department.

zkylon

zkylewd
The conversation stuff was the main reason I enjoyed Alpha Protocol. The game itself was a cool premise, but it needed longer in the polishing department.

it's one of those games where development hell is very apparent, like kotor2

would be awesome if sega let obs borrow the license for a kickstarter project for fixing bugs, tweaking gameplay and restoring cut content

Well, as I wrote this is my first impression, not a definitive one, since I played the training and the prologue, basically. I will deserve a final judgement for completing the game.
What I like, honestly, is the approch to the genre: I think this is the first rpg I saw regarding secret agents, spies etc, not involving sci-fi elements or so. I like it, the formula is very good, I'd like the option to use disguises in a future sequel.
the saudi arabia part is the weakest of the game i think

after that game gets much better cos u start meeting wacky and scary and cool characters and mike becomes a more interesting character as a result of interacting with other interesting characters

it's an awesome game

Did this suffer a development hell too? Is there some docs to read? I like that stuff.

Also soon or later I need to play KOTOR 2 again...or for the first time. Honestly I don't remember if I played KOTOR 2 or not. I remember very well KOTOR 1, but regarding KOTOR 2 I only remember my character wearing pants and awakening in a strange place in the beginning. after that, there's a black.hole, and it's very strange, I tend to remember at least SOMETHING from games I play, so I think something happened and actually I never KOTOR 2 totally.
If you don't remember Kreia you didn't play KotOR2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom