• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

YfuAX0r.jpg

TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4

uCZFgPE.jpg

Boss 101

yyTKDTc.jpg

RED Fuse: Rolling Explosive Device

vYm4X3n.jpg

Shoppy Mart: Steam Edition

kEwFHAC.jpg

Forget Me Not: My Organic Garden

Woah I just woke up tot his! Looks like Ty 1-3 are likely to get re-released soon too =D

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm still enjoying Burstfire, if anyone wanted a reason to try it out.

Arthea

Explains why we didn't get LR yet, though we should still get it, hopefully.

I assume that has nothing to do with dive in and all to do with game running poorly and looking not so hot... or I'm delusional in thinking that SE would try to improve the game for PC release.

Dr Dogg

R'uh R'oh. What does this mean for Lightning Returns? The XIII Trilogy was meant to be the poster child for DiveIn. Granted it was shit from the off and never got much better. Hopefully the cost to produce is low enough to justify the sales they expect to pop it on PC.

“Of course, we're not talking about [Dying Light 2] just yet… but the reason for that is that it is too early. We have lots of very ambitious ideas so first we need to check if these ideas are even doable with the tech that the current consoles provide.”

dat short end of the stick

"our games could be way cooler on PC but gotta check our privilege for consoles"

I'd imagine it's more to do with "We'd love to make a PC only game with all the bells and whistles we want but not for a 7th of the sales of releasing on consoles as well". To be fair they could just scale shit back for each version they want to make, essentially the better a PC version is the more scalable it is and the wider the hardware it can run on. Alien Isolation, while not drastically different from each other, scaled down pretty well across the 5 versions taking in 2 console generations and the limitless celling of PCs. Even Dying Light showed massive difference in LOD culling between current gen consoles and modest PCs. There would be bickering regardless though.

Popstar

so, I assume you liked it then?

unlike Narcissu, LLTQ is heavily choice based and has gameplay too, also it's amazing, have fun!
Narcissu was alright. Luckily I like melancholy things. I liked it enough to finish, but not enough to feel any pressing need to start the "2nd side".

I don't know if it was a good recommendation for a first VN. It has some options at the beginning that are a bit obtuse like asking what translation you want (how am I supposed to know?). I also picked unvoiced and didn't realize until a couple chapters in that was a bad idea. Without the vocal cues its not always apparent who is speaking certain pieces of dialog. Had I not decided to switch to voiced just to check it out I would have continued to be confused by some of the dialog.

Anyways, LLTQ next.

Arthea

Narcissu was alright. Luckily I like melancholy things. I liked it enough to finish, but not enough to feel any pressing need to start the "2nd side".

I don't know if it was a good recommendation for a first VN. It has some options at the beginning that are a bit obtuse like asking what translation you want (how am I supposed to know?). I also picked unvoiced and didn't realize until a couple chapters in that was a bad idea. Without the vocal cues its not always apparent who is speaking certain pieces of dialog. Had I not decided to switch to voiced just to check it out I would have continued to be confused by some of the dialog.

Anyways, LLTQ next.

Oh ya, I should have mentioned that voiced is a way to go.

I suggest taking notes while playing LLTQ, you will need those. Firstly, write down which moods affect which skills and how.

LLTQ was okay. Worth a couple runs at least. Held my attention more than Hatoful Boyfriend.

It's not merely OK... if it's only OK, what's good then? Doesn't exist?

also HB is great too, only you need to actually finish it or you'll never know what HB is, unless spoiled to you, but that's not the same as experiencing first hand.

I can totally understand someone being not into VNs, that doesn't make every VN bad, or barely tolerable and the best being just OK, at least not for the rest of us.

Dr Dogg

I assume that has nothing to do with dive in and all to do with game running poorly and looking not so hot... or I'm delusional in thinking that SE would try to improve the game for PC release.

I'd imagine neither and it's all to do with the only thing suits really care about, money. If the ROI is right I doubt they'll give a toss if it's to the same standard as the other 2 XIII games. Really they should have never tried to get them running at 60fps let alone advertise the fact and make a song and dance about it. That engine does some really funky stuff that after removing the framepacing lock on XIII-2 showed up how freaky it is.

Arthea

I'd imagine neither and it's all to do with the only thing suits really care about, money. If the ROI is right I doubt they'll give a toss if it's to the same standard as the other 2 XIII games. Really they should have never tried to get them running at 60fps let alone advertise the fact and make a song and dance about it. That engine does some really funky stuff that after removing the framepacing lock on XIII-2 showed up how freaky it is.

I still wonder what's up with that engine of theirs, seeing as 13 performed nicely for many people and horribly for others, and if 13-2 runs on the same engine, why does it perform worse?

Did one runthrough of Hatoful Boyfriend. That was enough for me. In the face of stuff like LLTQ and Amnesia, HB feels like a short appetizer.

so you basically never got to the real game, I'm sure you were told it before by someone but didn't care. Am I right?

so you basically never got to the real game, I'm sure you were told it before by someone but didn't care. Am I right?

Yep. As much as I enjoy games with additional post-game content,
a murder mystery
just wasn't enough to keep me interested, especially with so many other games to go through. Especially when I have to do a minimum of four playthroughs (IIRC) to get to the true ending anyway.

Anustart

Anyone know why my 360 controller light would constantly flash? Started the other day. It doesn't spin like the batteries are dying, and I put freshly charged ones in it anyway.

All 4 lights just flash in unison.

Edit: Un-plugging the usb dongle and reconnecting corrected. Is microsoft watching me?? Using the 4 flashing lights with optic location technology to map my house.

Dr Dogg

I still wonder what's up with that engine of theirs, seeing as 13 performed nicely for many people and horribly for others, and if 13-2 runs on the same engine, why does it perform worse?

Durante posted a screenshot from XIII-2 of a field of grass where the draw distance went on for flipping miles and miles. It certainly looks to be a more demanding game from some of the effects it's using too but I know that's out of the realm of thinking for some peeps so they'll gripe without considering that. To be fair though when XIII released locked to 1280x720 as the rending resolution with no means of scaling the game I get the feeling that the budget put into these to get them on PC was the bare minimum. Shame really as with just a little more TLC I'm sure they have been fantastic. Granted from my experience of both they perform way better than their PS360 counterparts (well excluding the inbetween prerendered cutscene quality of XIII) so as bare bones as they are the marketing boys could call them the 'Definitive Versions'. Hopefully Type-0 bucks the trend and has some consideration put in for the platform but I'd rather of XIII got that sort of treatment to be honest.

This Friday we are playing Killing Floor 2 on Euro game night, murricans are welcome too.

It only has up to 6 player coop so seats will be limited, but I'm not sure how many people will actually have the game.

header.jpg

1 - NingenJanai
2 - Maniac
3 - derExperte
4 - corrosivefrost
5 - ricochetguro
6 - Spirited
7 - freshveggie
8 - Roboleon
9 - Se7enSword
10 - The Dear Leader
11 - Black Soma
12 - Sch1sm
13 - Sokka
14 -
15 -
16 -

t1439578800z0.png

Mumble server thanks to Spirited ( quote to reveal )

Arthea

Yep. As much as I enjoy games with additional post-game content,
a murder mystery
just wasn't enough to keep me interested, especially with so many other games to go through. Especially when I have to do a minimum of four playthroughs (IIRC) to get to the true ending anyway.

but you see... that's not what's really good about HB, it's building up (or deconstruction of dating sims as someone aptly named it), you get bits and pieces of disturbing info which makes no full picture until the very end. HB is brilliant by its structure (or even better destructure) not by idea.

Durante posted a screenshot from XIII-2 of a field of grass where the draw distance went on for flipping miles and miles. It certainly looks to be a more demanding game from some of the effects it's using too but I know that's out of the realm of thinking for some peeps so they'll gripe without considering that. To be fair though when XIII released locked to 1280x720 as the rending resolution with no means of scaling the game I get the feeling that the budget put into these to get them on PC was the bare minimum. Shame really as with just a little more TLC I'm sure they have been fantastic. Granted from my experience of both they perform way better than their PS360 counterparts (well excluding the inbetween prerendered cutscene quality of XIII) so as bare bones as they are the marketing boys could call them the 'Definitive Versions'. Hopefully Type-0 bucks the trend and has some consideration put in for the platform but I'd rather of XIII got that sort of treatment to be honest.
I still think that FF13 looks gorgeous on PC, if we disregard cutscenes. OTOH it looked good on PS3 too.

well, SE told they fixed at least most annoying things for FF0 PC release, but HD version itself doesn't look that much of HD very often, they didn't invest too much into it.
Hopefully it is less problematic than FF13 duo, being locked at 30fps should make all the difference in performance, as annoying as that is for many people.

but you see... that's not what's really good about HB, it's building up (or deconstruction of dating sims as someone aptly named it), you get bits and pieces of disturbing info which makes no full picture until the very end. HB is brilliant by its structure (or even better destructure) not by idea.

Oh, I know. I read through the scrap of info it gave me after beating it for the first time.

The problem is that I didn't care. At all. Certainly not enough to play through it three more times just for the hell of it.

Dr Dogg

I still think that FF13 looks gorgeous on PC, if we disregard cutscenes. OTOH it looked good on PS3 too.

well, SE told they fixed at least most annoying things for FF0 PC release, but HD version itself doesn't look that much of HD very often, they didn't invest too much into it.
Hopefully it is less problematic than FF13 duo, being locked at 30fps should make all the difference in performance, as annoying as that is for many people.

Well XIII is a lovely looking game aesthetically because it had millions pumped into it and a truck load of artists working on it, XIII-2 a little less so and Lightning Returns even less (though that dog did shoot to fame in all its low poly glory). Where as no matter how much you HDify Type-0 fact is that it's a handheld title at heart and to bring it up to the standard of a fully fledged console title would probably cost vastly more than most HDifications (technical term that :p) and way more than Squenix could justify. Looking at the sales of the XO and PS4 version shows too.

Arthea

Well XIII is a lovely looking game aesthetically because it had millions pumped into it and a truck load of artists working on it, XIII-2 a little less so and Lightning Returns even less (though that dog did shoot to fame in all its low poly glory). Where as no matter how much you HDify Type-0 fact is that it's a handheld title at heart and to bring it up to the standard of a fully fledged console title would probably cost vastly more than most HDifications (technical term that :p) and way more than Squenix could justify. Looking at the sales of the XO and PS4 version shows too.

yeah, that's true

SE could spend some on PC ports, or HD versions, they did it for FFX and X-2 after all, although those are remasters not just HD versions and I'm afraid that handheldiness of FF0 can hurt it in a long wrong, resolution isn't everything. Anyways, if a port is any good and camera problems are really solved, maybe they'll get no lashing this time, we'll see soon enough. Also if FF0 will do badly, I'm afraid Lightning might never return! scary thought, no? I mean I thought it's a tad too convenient that it has Autumn as release window, meaning right after FF0 numbers come in.

Consider that we only got the XIII games because of Dive-In. They ported them to PC to put them on their streaming service, selling them on Steam was just a side perk. As much as I'd love to think they delayed the port of LR to improve it, the closure of Dive-In makes more sense to me as to why they delayed LR.

lemme dream

Now you've done it. To the FFXIII/XIII-2 screenshot gallery!

your screenshots are so pretty, you should spend even more time taking those if at all possible.

Lain

Consider that we only got the XIII games because of Dive-In. They ported them to PC to put them on their streaming service, selling them on Steam was just a side perk. As much as I'd love to think they delayed the port of LR to improve it, the closure of Dive-In makes more sense to me as to why they delayed LR.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Woot, just finished Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim. 100+ hours and I could probably still play it some more. Not a perfect game, but it over a couple years of playing it here and there I enjoyed it for what it was.

Whats next in the backlog? Who knows!

Meh, felt flat and screamed "we know Morrowind too guys! Remember that! Please enjoy our game as we destroy the lore and setting!"

Oh fuck it's here! NOSTALGIA!!!!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
sigh... the pressure was too high

xy4c5Lr.png

and I needed something to play with my brother tonight :p

I probably should have checked before buying, but the PC version hast splitscreen too right?

Tizoc

comparing to the 3d platforming ? it looks bad
BTW , i just saw this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523059

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/games/ty-the-tasmanian-tiger/9wzdncrfjb6k

it appear , this game is a port from windows 8 store
its $7

I've never played the original games but if this game can help get the older ones preserved via Steam then I'll get it. $5-10 price range sounds good to me, it might be a short game but I'm generally open towards simple games =3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom