• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

bought Forget Me Not, even if I wouldn't have time to play it, but maybe it will go well as secondary game with all those long RPGs I'll be playing till the end of Universe.

Battle.net download manager is a butt, download bar constantly not showing progress for no reason.

I never knew a butt is supposed to have the progress bar!
the more you know...

edited: Have any of you noticed that gog is as fond of puns as steamgaf... almost
Ubisavin' on gog today, btw

edit2: I should have made it Jasec alert, shouldn't I?

edited: Have any of you noticed that gog is as fond of puns as steamgaf... almost
Ubisavin' on gog today, btw

edit2: I should have made it Jasec alert, shouldn't I?
ozuKnIg.gif

Yeah, you should have lol

Jawmuncher

Anyone know why my 360 controller light would constantly flash? Started the other day. It doesn't spin like the batteries are dying, and I put freshly charged ones in it anyway.

All 4 lights just flash in unison.

Edit: Un-plugging the usb dongle and reconnecting corrected. Is microsoft watching me?? Using the 4 flashing lights with optic location technology to map my house.

Yeah that just happens when it loses sync.

Imgur actually converts large GIFs to webms and then back to gifs. Gifv I think they're called.

Gfycat will also automatically convert large gifs to webms and give you a webm link to post.

Furthermore, and most importantly, Andrex made an extension for embedding webm's in gaf which everyone should get here.
That's all great info. Thanks.

So, some sad truth: i've never finished San Andreas. I tried it back in the day on the OG Xbox but got distracted by other games and just never got back around to it.

Now the PC version is a fucking mess to try to both restore the original content in the game and also mod to current standards, such as widescreen and proper controller support. Just wish there was a one stop shop, something i install that does the 20 step process for me without it fucking up somewhere down the line

So my best option is to play the PS2 version i downloaded on my PS3. Thanks, Rockstar, for fucking up a good thing.

Chariot

where did you sleep? On the bench in some park?

I hope you'll play FFF right away
I slept on a weak air bed that was losing air within hours. My awakening was never pleasant. I'll see what I will have the strength to play. Probably not FFF. ;(

so do preloads still take double the memory to unpack? I thought i read that Steam doesn't do that any longer.

Just wondering since I have FFT0 coming soon

Is there yet a way to take screenshots while in-game but with all other overlay features disabled, chat messages, group messages etc.? I'm on the newest beta client but can't find such setting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So, some sad truth: i've never finished San Andreas. I tried it back in the day on the OG Xbox but got distracted by other games and just never got back around to it.

Now the PC version is a fucking mess to try to both restore the original content in the game and also mod to current standards, such as widescreen and proper controller support. Just wish there was a one stop shop, something i install that does the 20 step process for me without it fucking up somewhere down the line

So my best option is to play the PS2 version i downloaded on my PS3. Thanks, Rockstar, for fucking up a good thing.

I wish the non-driving gameplay hadn't aged so terribly with the 3-VC-SA trilogy. It's just not worth revisiting the games anymore.

MNC

Man, there are some cheap ass digital Batmans flying about. (18 bucks) What´s the current state with the PC version?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man, there are some cheap ass digital Batmans flying about. (18 bucks) What´s the current state with the PC version?

30fps is achievable if you have the grunt. An "interim" patch is due later in the month.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Just finished up Deus Ex: human revolution (played the buggy shitty director's cut), was a treat found myself really enjoying my non-lethal playthrough which mostly meant going around invisible with the stungun (this gun is legitmately broken at some places of the game) , had a real fun time ended up going for the ENDING SPOILERS
Hugh Darrow ending as it fitted most with how I would imagine canon for mankind divided will be, the self-destruct one is 100% not canon because Jensen getting killed and all that
, I would say I'm satisfied with the different choices though.

With ending this game it really makes me look forward to mankind divided, only thing I'm worried about must be how good AMD's TressFX 2.0 will perform and if it will work on my 970.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Witcher 3 mod tools are now available.

They also released a small patch on PC to retroactively reward achievements which were earned during the period when they were broken (patch 1.07). Except it seems to be bugged and is now awarding game completion achievements to folks who haven't finished the game at all.

This isn't like skyrims mod tools (it's not an editor) just so you guys now, this if for extracting, compiling and decompiling assets mostly and according to their community manager this is probably "all" we get instead of a fully fledged RedKit.

Phawx

xposting from indie thread. Bard's Gold released today on Steam

My Quick Look on Bard's Gold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjKii_u77I

header.jpg

Bard's Gold is similar to Rogue Legacy but is *extremely brutal*. Like one hit death, brutal. Thankfully, the simple controls: cardinal directions and two buttons, jump and attack, are laser honed. If I ever died, it was by my own fault. The controls are tight and respond as you would hope. Plus there is never a moment that the game doesn't broadcast or signal danger. You'll immediately learn to fear everything in the game. "Is that a book shelf?" You might ask yourself. "It's probably going to kill me." And you'd be correct in your assumption that it was going to kill you. Because it will kill you.

The levels are premade, but they are dispersed randomly as you progress. So world 1-2, might not be the same 1-2 in a later playthrough. I enjoy this level of randomness because you can learn levels and figure out their traps in a variety of ways.

There are two difficulty modes, Normal and Retro. Retro gives more HP to the enemies and supplies you with only one life. And since it's one hit kill, it's game over after one hit. Rewards are justified for the higher difficulty.

In terms of game design and mechanics, Bard's Gold offers a simple premise that is fun to play and is well executed. The pixel visuals have a few modern flairs like normal mapping for a nice touch of dynamic lighting juxtaposed against retro visuals.

(I am a big fan of normal mapped pixel art)

The sound plays a big role in the game so make sure to adjust the audio accordingly. The music is okay, but I would advise to lower the bgm so that the sound effects are more pronounced, which will save your life.

Overall Bard's Gold is a welcome addition to tough action platformers.​

Phinor

30fps is achievable if you have the grunt. An "interim" patch is due later in the month.

As is 60fps at least 95-99% of the time, if you happen to roll your dice well and have a system without issues in the game. I rolled well, and so did my brother.

But as you said, we still haven't had the big patch and won't get that for a while.

Some hidden object games aren't made by Artifex Mundi...you know, contrary to popular belief. Rainbow Games tried their hand at one, so here are some impressions for Odysseus: Long Way Home.

If I had to sum up this game in one word, it would be "SLOW." This game contains loading screens, and the animation during the loading screen actually stutters. Now, my computer is trailing edge by now, but how poorly optimized does a game have to be where that happens to a hidden object game on a Core i7 with 8 gigs of ram? Anyway.

You play Odysseus (natch,) the King of Ithaca, and you go through some of his abridged adventures from mythology - the cyclops, storms, Circe, coming home to see suitors macking on his bitch, you know the drill. For some reason, they also decide to throw in that he built the Trojan Horse as well...because why not. As a protagonist, he's kind of a sucker - helping out people who don't deserve it, often more than once - and a badass (seeing the suitors in his house, his first thought is to throw water on them to cool them down, but then later settles on throwing in a sack of WILD FUCKING BEES. Seeing the expressions of their stung faces as they beg for mercy is ALMOST worth playing this game!)

The hidden object scenes and puzzles were frustrating. The cursor takes time to change its look, so you can't tell if you need to interact with something unless you hold the mouse on it for a bit. For pixel hunters, this means you can entirely pass over what you need to do if you're doing fast sweeps! Add to this the fact that the things you need to move can be quite small indeed (in one scene, you need to move AN APPLE. Seriously?) so you're consigned to either going SLOW (see also: my summary for the game) or leaning on the hint button. There are no achievements, so you're free to do so. The puzzles can be just as bad: at one point there was a thing where you have to rearrange zodiac symbols. I had the hardest time figuring out how exactly to MOVE anything before realizing I had to move the tiles one at a time. And once they're in order, I had to move the entire circle four times to get them in the right positions (for those of you counting, it's over 40 click-drags.) They could have allowed me to move the entire damn thing at once, but nooo. That would be too fast.

I actually skipped two puzzles. One was this thing where you have to cover up all the holes in a boat using various shapes of wooden boards. I'm not very good at visual puzzles, but it was well-designed enough, so I concede that one was on me. The second was one of these "move the nodes around so none of the lines cross" - only there were like twelve nodes. I just had to say fuck it to that one.

There's no voice acting, so at least I can say "there was no BAD voice acting." The text does contain spelling errors and at some points, seriously bad conveyance. At one point there's a target with arrows. Try to get the arrows, it says "the arrows have too many feathers, I can't shoot them from a bow." That's weird, but okay, so I'm looking for a knife or tweezers to cut or pluck some off. Turns out, what you need...are feathers. Because the arrows actually had NOT ENOUGH feathers.

Oh, and let's not forget anachronisms aplenty. For a game set in ancient Greece, there sure are a lot of pumpkins, pineapples and tomatoes!

The bottom line is, this game is totally not worth your time (my time, for the record, was 3.9 hours, but then again I skipped two puzzles. Most of that time is because it was SLOW...and because I alt-tabbed out a few times and that caused quite a delay. It should have been shorter, and it felt a whoooole lot longer.) AVOID.

Who cares we have Bad Rats in our Steam game library :V

*ahem* I don't. Nor will I ever.

everyone buy always sometimes monsters or i'll hunt u down

Not my jam.

Hmm I got a dilemma

Metal Slug X or Industry Giant 2?

My heart tells me to tell you Metal Slug X but, at the same time that version on Steam is a slowdown nightmare. So I don't know.

"Beach Bounce" is now on Steam.
You know you want it, you pervs.

Art it is very not appealing to me.

Grief.exe

it's never been great but it's also never really bothered me. Just lock-on to enemies and stay as far away from them as possible

I played through SA recently and I found it best to use M/KB and play the game similarly to Max Payne. Constantly move around, dive info cover, and aim for center of mass.

I thought the game was overall great, but the game didn't end well. It's already a very long game and Rockstar chose to artificially lengthen the game by grinding out turf war missions before unlocking the final mission.

I had no problem getting the game to render at 4K and 60 FPS either, though this was before the latest patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom