• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

In case someone doesn't know (I didn't for a while): Not only is that obviously too much thermal paste but you don't spread it yourself, you put a nice blob in the middle and then mount the heat sink. Otherwise you can easily get little air bubbles in there which of course isn't ideal.

gif from the new Mad Max trailer

y4NOkV.gif

just wish MM's face didn't look like it was from a generic character made in fallout 3.

Dsyndrome

Haha, got the "Passed the Trial" and "Ran the Gauntlet" achievements from Witcher 3 thanks to the latest patch screwing up, I'm only 36 hours in.

L.O.R.D

WTF , i thought it was server side only and can't on steam side

i thought maybe i'll try this
SERVERSIDE ACHIEVEMENTS? WUT?

That's right. Steam now has the capability to secure achievements from being managed. Naturally this means you can't unlock them. Good for them. :)

FUCK.., now i going to be banned

Dr Dogg

What's wrong with this picture.

https://i.imgur.com/EM6TQs7.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

You want a jokey answer or a serious technical one?

[quote="L.O.R.D, post: 175427817"]WTF , i thought it was server side only and can't on steam side

i thought maybe i'll try this

FUCK.., now i going to be banned[/QUOTE]

That's been on SAM's FAQ page for ages. I doubt Valve would be bothered to go on an achievement scummers crack down.

In case someone doesn't know (I didn't for a while): Not only is that obviously too much thermal paste but you don't spread it yourself, you put a nice blob in the middle and then mount the heat sink. Otherwise you can easily get little air bubbles in there which of course isn't ideal.

People actually do what's shown in the gif though. It's called the 'credit card' method. Obviously too much thermal paste but it is a fairly common thing.

Couple of months ago I tried something I saw in a Youtube video

Don't know what I was thinking as it's obviously a stupid idea. And this was the (expected) outcome...

Not one of my finer moments...

Jawmuncher

You want a jokey answer or a serious technical one?

I'll take the DerExperte answer. Just the perfect amount of what I need there. I figured it was about scooping it and trying to spread it, but I wanted to be sure. Regardless it falling off the board is bad enough, even if you don't know.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I don't know what you guys are so upset about, if you don't use a lot of crazy glue those heatsinks just don't stay on.

A pea sized dot of thermal past and either your finger in a bag to spread or a credit card type objective, that's the appropriate way of doing it.

If you have to squeeze the tube twice, stop, you have made a mistake.

If you have to clean up excess thermal paste from around your CPU, stop, and re-evaluate your life.

If you find that you are using toothpaste or any other creamy substance ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) for thermal paste, stop, you are clearly too dumb to build you're own PC, please visit www.alienware.com and purchase a PC there.

Linus Tech Tips has so many interesting videos. Can't stop watching. They do stuff what I was imagining. All kinds of ludicrous builds.
That Compensator build barely works, no breathing room for those Titan Xs, that's why they didn't even bother do benchmarks.
I'm sure he's a nice guy but something about Linus does my nut in. Plus the product placement in all of his vids urgh. I know the dude has got to get paid but some of it is so random. Logan and the chaps over at Tek Syndicate do some interesting vids and even though he can be a right berk TTL from OC3D is something I pop on in the background for shits and giggles when having a load of work on. I mean come on look at this monster cooling solution!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbpb23yTK8

Top tip do watch to the very, very end ;)
Ads like that are common in YouTube PC hardware videos.

Annubis

Instead of a credit card, use the back of a bread clip.
You have more control as it's not a big ass card and it's disposable (I prefer my credit cards not gooey).

leet-bread-clip.jpg

Dr Dogg

People actually do what's shown in the gif though. It's called the 'credit card' method. Obviously too much thermal paste but it is a fairly common thing.

Couple of months ago I tried something I saw in a Youtube video

Don't know what I was thinking as it's obviously a stupid idea. And this was the (expected) outcome...

Not one of my finer moments...

Crazy people also spread thermal compound on their CPUs with their fingers. Gloved of course, they're not that crazy.

I'll take the DerExperte answer. Just the perfect amount of what I need there. I figured it was about scooping it and trying to spread it, but I wanted to be sure. Regardless it falling off the board is bad enough, even if you don't know.

CPU dies have changed quite a bit over the last 5 years and if you crack the IHS off (the metal bit) you'll find that the die itself is only about a 10th of the size. On some older CPUs some would have a better connection to the heatsink with a line of compound rather than a pea but really these days every mainstream CPU a pea sized amount is perfect.

Ads like that are common in YouTube PC hardware videos.

Yeah, no they're not in the ones I watch and I watch a lot. Linus was even advertising shaving foam in one video. Product placement at the beginning? Fine but having a close to 5 minute aside of unrelated material actually in the video in question is taking the piss to be fair as his vids are long enough and I value my time.

No it isn't. No spreading. Unless you're JaseC and love torturing your CPU. Though I wonder if he even uses thermal paste?

Spread it evenly to almost the edge before you put the CPU cooler on it, otherwise when you put the CPU cooler and tighten each corner it will spread incorrectly. Unless you can find some way to place the CPU cooler on and tighten each screw at the same time, thus spreading it evenly.

Grief.exe

A pea sized dot of thermal past and either your finger in a bag to spread or a credit card type objective, that's the appropriate way of doing it.

If you have to squeeze the tube twice, stop, you have made a mistake.

If you have to clean up excess thermal paste from around your CPU, stop, and re-evaluate your life.

If you find that you are using toothpaste or any other creamy substance ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) for thermal paste, stop, you are clearly too dumb to build you're own PC, please visit www.alienware.com and purchase a PC there.

Instead of a credit card, use the back of a bread clip.
You have more control as it's not a big ass card and it's disposable (I prefer my credit cards not gooey).

leet-bread-clip.jpg

I've never seen a benchmark or data to support these methods.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Widdly Scuds, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Not A Hero -- MB-FEB67D914A6A7B6D - Taken by Dongs Macabre. 72 entrants total.
One of my favorite games of 2015. I hope it becomes one of yours too. Nice giveaway, btw =)

t1439578827z1.png

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Spread it evenly to almost the edge before you put the CPU cooler on it, otherwise when you put the CPU cooler and tighten each corner it will spread incorrectly. Unless you can find some way to place the CPU cooler on and tighten each screw at the same time, thus spreading it evenly.

I think you need to re-evaluate and go here instead www.alienware.com

Sch1sm

Seeing how that thing work ,
can I undo what I did?

I am really scared now to get banned

No, just stop doing it. Odds are nothing will happen, because there isn't an achievements based competition going on currently, so. Relax. Stop using SAM, or using it a lot more sparingly and only when you're unlocking an achievement that's being stubborn despite you meeting its criteria.

derExperte

If you push the heat sink on the spreader once it should distribute itself perfectly. If the paste is still sludging around when tightening the screws you're using too much. And the whole die doesn't really need to be covered. The other method isn't a catastrophy or anything but as I said there's a big chance you aren't spreading it 100% evenly and will thus create small pockets of air. 'My' method on the other hand will push the paste and any air outwards while filling all the minuscule holes and crevaces.

I've never seen a benchmark or data to support these methods.

I don't have any official data but my CPU has been cool for the 4 years since I've applied the thermal paste, even at 4.2Ghz it rarely gets really hot even during intense gaming.

I think you need to re-evaluate and go here instead www.alienware.com

Lol, I don't know man my PC and the 2 I built for friends are all running cool breh (•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐□-□ / (⌐□_□)

If you push the heat sink on the spreader once it should distribute itself perfectly. If the paste is still sludging around when tightening the screws you're using too much. And the whole die doesn't really need to be covered. The other method isn't a catastrophy or anything but as I said there's a big chance you aren't spreading it 100% evenly and will thus create pockets of air.

Either way will work sure, I just have been doing it this way and it works fine and the temps are good.

should we start creating a retro 8 bit tombstone for LORD now or wait till the Valve police IP ban him from Steam forever?

I'm not good at drawing so a headstart would be nice

Backlogger

All this CPU cooler talk reminds me I still need/want to get an aftermarket cooler for my 3570k. Any recommendations?

Also, I should have jumped on the Humble Weekly deal sooner. I guess I am surprised how the BTA edged up. Are people really buying Reassembly? Or is it just edging up due to people buying the BTA and rounding up their purchase? Oh well, it's only like a buck more than where it was yesterday.
I should stop being so cheap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom