• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really describe it in words but every time I see footage of batmobile stuff my eyes glaze over and I lose interest completely.

Also I was spoiled on the entire story so eh.
I'm just saying that stuff is in addition to the existing series gameplay which has been expanded and improved considerably. Even if you end up hating the tank segments, there's still a dozen hours of game that plays like past games, but better.

If it's a "take it or leave it" game for you, then that's one thing. Not playing this despite loving past games would be similar to not playing Arkham City/Origins because of the open world, despite loving Asylum.

Batman Arkham Knight was top 5 games this year. I was erect for like the entire 30 hours.

It was pretty good. It didn't elicit that response from me though

I also jerk off to games being awful.

It's better than Arkham Asylum threefold. Standards have come really far since '09 considering all the GotY awards it got

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The weirdest thing about Arkham Knight was when Batman turned out to be an Argentinian girl

Khronico

I'm just saying that stuff is in addition to the existing series gameplay which has been expanded and improved considerably. Even if you end up hating the tank segments, there's still a dozen hours of game that plays like past games, but better.

If it's a "take it or leave it" game for you, then that's one thing. Not playing this despite loving past games would be similar to not playing Arkham City/Origins because of the open world, despite loving Asylum.

It's better than Arkham Asylum threefold. Standards have come really far since '09 considering all the GotY awards it got

It's not a must play for me but you've made a pretty convincing argument. I'll probably get it later down the line.

Origins>City>Asylum all day every day

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not sure how I feel about the "it counts if they charge you for it" clause.

Is DLC/etc counted if it doesn't change the app ID? Like, Civ V's Brave New World expansion really improved the game, but it's still the "same" game (unlike any year's Batman GOTY which is a "separate" game but changes nothing), and this year's Beyond Earth expansion which might be just as substantial?

The sticky point here is that developers and publishers are hot and bothered over "remakes" and "remasters" which, in the world of PC gaming, add little to no additional value or features over the original game. The vast majority (though not all) stem from the recent console generation leap. Dishonored is a good example of this, as it's likely to be popular with the PS4 crowd especially since it's the only way to play that game on that console and it's a well liked game and an entry into a franchise that's going to be growing on that console.

In the PC world, the truth is we had the "Definitive Edition" all the way back in 2012 when the game was released. We can already get 1080p at 60fps (or higher) and the game looks and plays amazingly well. We have had access to the game and it's DLC for years, so there isn't really anything new on the table. The same could be said of Sleeping Dogs when the definitive edition released last year.

But these games are often well marketed and newcomers to Steam or the series in question will inevitably feel like these games belong in the GOTY voting and it may make us come off as sounding like cunts if we just say "lol no bro that game came out years ago".

It wasn't too much of an issue last year when there were very few remasters, especially those released on Steam, but obviously this year it will be a talking point for our voting process. What does everyone else think? Should we ban these remasters from our GOTY voting?

Sober

Arkham Knight was a good game, but there were plenty of better things this year like Life is Strange or Her Story.

Guess I'm not big into games as video game ass video games where I mash buttons like a maniac in insane combinations while a bald space marine yells about how much he loves his gun unironically and the lady over your voice comm vomits out stupid lore while you walk in a hallway that's disguising a loading screen.

Uzzy

I finished NaisannceE. Eerie, eerie game. Rather unsettling visuals at times that, as I said before, felt a bit like my graphics card was crashing and just throwing out random effects that coalesced into something cohesive and utterly mind-boggling. You'll enter a room and have everything white out on you, or for the colour scheme to change in other, baffling ways. Or you'll run across some trees(?) in an otherwise lifeless but massive city.

ngBoBIx.jpg
hscP1Ur.jpg

There's no narrative, just a series of very different landscapes to explore at your own pace. The game is sometimes a little aimless and left me confused at times as to where I was meant to go, but exploring the world and seeing another bizarre and confusing sight around the corner made up for it. Here's two of the environments on offer, a mammoth cityscape and an endless desert.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I finished NaisannceE. Eerie, eerie game. Rather unsettling visuals at times that, as I said before, felt a bit like my graphics card was crashing and just throwing out random effects that coalesced into something cohesive and utterly mind-boggling. You'll enter a room and have everything white out on you, or for the colour scheme to change in other, baffling ways. Or you'll run across some trees(?) in an otherwise lifeless but massive city.

There's no narrative, just a series of very different landscapes to explore at your own pace. The game is sometimes a little aimless and left me confused at times as to where I was meant to go, but exploring the world and seeing another bizarre and confusing sight around the corner made up for it. Here's two of the environments on offer, a mammoth cityscape and an endless desert.

One of my favorites in recent years. The sense of scale is very impressive, which is helped by the "last person on earth/whereverthefuck" atmosphere which NaisannceE nails. There's tons of little hidden secret areas that play more with physics, mind-bending architecture and color/form. Bonus points for the soundtrack, which had some names on it that I never thought I'd see be on the credits list for a videogame.

I think it might be time for another replay.

EDIT: Oh look, a KF2 blog update!

Today I will start at the end of a normal WWAUT post: the Dev Days graph. This week is most likely our final week with a dev days left graph. The current dev build of the game is now being locked down and starting to be branched off into a release candidate (some of you have spotted the Steam database updates). At this state of the project the game will go back and forth between QA passes (full sweeps of the game and all its functionality) and Bug Triage (the team will sit down and prioritize the issues as they come in and assign them out to be addressed). When the triage is to the point where no Blockers, Criticals, and Majors (these are the top categories of bugs we use to prioritize) are left the release candidate turns into the release build. We’ll be covering this more in the coming week.

However for this week I want to cover some recent changes to the game. Many of you will recall I previously touched on new audio for hitting zeds in the flesh, metal or mechanical pieces (such as Fleshpound chest, Husk backpack). This is a big step towards fully-implementing specific Resistances and Vulnerabilities in these zones for the Zeds. So, different areas on a zed can now be vulnerable or resistant to the particular weapons you are carrying (hint: shoot those mechanical zones for this first iteration of the system!) The goal here is to add more strategy and skill to your zed encounters, so be sure to let us know if you feel we are going the right direction with this!

We have also made some changes to the Support and Commando skill trees. The Support Supplier Skill no longer hands out grenades (the Demo has taken them all for his version of this Skill). The Commando has seen a more major shuffle of his tree which you will find below:

Level 5 Skills - Tier renamed to Supply
Large mags has moved to replace the old night vision skill choice
Backup is now a Level 5 skill
Backup bonus damage has been increased to 60%

Level 10 Skills - Tier renamed Weapon Handling
Impact and Tactical Reload moved here

Level 15 Skills - Tier renamed Awareness
Leadership has been added - This skill makes your team reload 10% faster
Callout is now at level 15

Level 20 Skills
Single Fire skill has been moved here

Another thing I am pleased to announce is that the Microwave gun is now online and I have a snippet of its functionality to show you here today. This is also a trial of showing vids in WebM over Gif or other formats so please let me know if these work better for everybody.

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/081415/MicrowaveGun.webm

And our final dev days graph for this update can be found below:

DevDays8_14.PNG

For Killing Floor fans out there with Android Tablets (7 inches and above, recommended 2 gigs of ram) you can now find Killing Floor: Calamity (our top down twin stick shooter) in the Play Store. It is set up for single player, top-down mayhem with all your old favorite monsters, characters, perks and weapons on tablets, with 2-player on the Shield Android TV. Pick it up for your Android tablet here, now:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Tripwire.Calamity

Caerith

The sticky point here is that developers and publishers are hot and bothered over "remakes" and "remasters" which, in the world of PC gaming, add little to no additional value or features over the original game. The vast majority (though not all) stem from the recent console generation leap. Dishonored is a good example of this, as it's likely to be popular with the PS4 crowd especially since it's the only way to play that game on that console and it's a well liked game and an entry into a franchise that's going to be growing on that console.

In the PC world, the truth is we had the "Definitive Edition" all the way back in 2012 when the game was released. We can already get 1080p at 60fps (or higher) and the game looks and plays amazingly well. We have had access to the game and it's DLC for years, so there isn't really anything new on the table. The same could be said of Sleeping Dogs when the definitive edition released last year.

But these games are often well marketed and newcomers to Steam or the series in question will inevitably feel like these games belong in the GOTY voting and it may make us come off as sounding like cunts if we just say "lol no bro that game came out years ago".

It wasn't too much of an issue last year when there were very few remasters, especially those released on Steam, but obviously this year it will be a talking point for our voting process. What does everyone else think? Should we ban these remasters from our GOTY voting?
I get the why of it, and it's something I hear brought up on like the Giant Bombcast when they're laying ground rules for their own GOTY discussions. When half the games coming to market are "HD remakes" of last gen's games, it's hard to ignore them.

I think banning remasters isn't the way to go, not because it makes us sound like cunts but because it discredits the effort and craft that people put into making a good remaster, and we should recognize that. But remasters shouldn't drown out new releases, otherwise Obsidian might catch on and next year we'd see KOTOR 2: 2016 Edition, KOTOR 2: 2016 Edition HD, and KOTOR 2: 2016 +1 JaseC Edition as #1, #2, and #3 in our GOTY lists.

I think maybe have a "Best New Game" and a "Best Port/Update/Remaster/Expansion/Etc" list, so on the one hand we can talk about Witcher 3 and Cities Skylines and on the other we can talk about Grim Fandango and KOTOR 2.

One of my favorites in recent years. The sense of scale is very impressive, which is helped by the "last person on earth/whereverthefuck" atmosphere which NaisannceE nails. There's tons of little hidden secret areas that play more with physics, mind-bending architecture and color/form. Bonus points for the soundtrack, which had some names on it that I never thought I'd see be on the credits list for a videogame.

I think it might be time for another replay.

EDIT: Oh look, a KF2 blog update!

For Killing Floor fans out there with Android Tablets (7 inches and above, recommended 2 gigs of ram) you can now find Killing Floor: Calamity

Why yes I would like to try some KFC.

People using past tense when talking about games that just released sounds really weird to me.
"Batman AK was a great game"
So it isn't anymore?

I'll wait for the complete edition when it hits the bargain bin like I did with the others, with all the overpriced dlc included and hopefully patched to a decent state.

Still need to finish TW3 before MGSV arrives, no time for it anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
People using past tense when talking about games that just released sounds really weird to me.
"Batman AK was a great game"
So it isn't anymore?

Yeah, I say "I played through _____ last year and thoroughly enjoyed it" or some such as referring to the quality of a game in the past tense sounds off unless the assertion is that it hasn't aged well.

fertygo

hopefully it won't be as easy to level up and get XP like DXHR was. It was comically hilarious how easy it was to nearly fill out all the augs by the end of DXHR

Yeah, but those period when your augment got reseted is sucks(well, not really)

Sch1sm

oh god shirts confirmed

Oh, Salsa.

cool humble feature: if you accidentally forgot that you already bought a bundle and try to buy it again, it stops you

This is great. When I did but them, I had to question a lot of the time whether I did and then go through my account. Saves time if I didn't.

Yes. It hardly ever makes a difference in the experience, playing it when the original was out, or playing the remaster years later. It should just be entirely new games released on steam in 2015, or games that belatedly came to Steam after a 2014 or way earlier console release.

L.O.R.D

fuck the autosave in ori
i was in the
Forlorn Ruins
and it it auto save and started the sequence
i know some people warned me about surprise save , but WTF

Jawmuncher

I can't find my PS3 copy of Metal Gear Rising, which I was going to play after 4 for the trophies. Oh well guess I have to play the superior version on PC instead.

Batman Arkham Knight was top 5 games this year. I was erect for like the entire 30 hours.
Ha! Agree with Supes vs Batman. Looks tons more interesting than Avengers. Grey moral area is best area.

All your posts about this were really interesting and intriguing. Enjoyed reading it and the surreal screens,
Just finished Ace Combat Assault Horizon.

+ Looks really good in motion (weather effects in particular look really nice in certain levels)
+ Good selection of aircraft to fly
+ Good variation of mission types
+ Decent flight mechanics

? DFM is... really hard to put in either side. There's some neat things to it (chaining and countering DFMs feels great) but it feels like autopilot most of the time. It would be OK if you weren't railroaded into using it a lot of the time (The entire last mission is basically one long DFM).
? You can paint your ship with idolm@ster waifus if that's your thing.

- Story is mediocre trash and the characters are completely bland. I've heard people talk positively about the older Ace Combat game's stories and character so this was really disappointing.
- Enemy planes have variable amounts of health depending on whether or not they need you to watch something "cinematic" happen (i.e. you'll pump 10 missiles into an enemy ace but he survives long enough for you to have a "cool" dogfight through a city).

It's.... good.

Not amazing. Not very good. Not even really good. Just good.

Now here's some pics:

Edit: Jeez my uncompressed pngs look way better than that.
Good read. Looks fast and arcadey. Like HAWX.
That Compensator build barely works, no breathing room for those Titan Xs, that's why they didn't even bother do benchmarks.
Haha, that was the first video I saw! I actually chuckled a fair bit when at the start of he video the guy was all high and mighty but soon shit went south.

I'd still use Opera 12 if it didn't have all kinds of imcompabilities today. Still the best browser ever made. Shame what they did to it after 12 :(
I still even now use 12. only for some incompatible sites I use chromodo or firefox.
I hope Otter browser will lift off and be as good as opera12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom