• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
CYn6GVZ.jpg

get a life doods

lol

Just finished Trine with local co-op last night, was a blast. It's a beautiful game with smart designs and great animations for the characters. We're going to tackle the sequel next.
I got a black screen with narrative ending for the reward though, weird. Can't do anything but alt+f4 the game.

Teggy

I finished up Mafia today. I don't know if this was just a case of "you had to be there", but this was one of the worst games I've ever played. Clunky controls, unsatisfying gunplay, a sim-like driving model that for 80% of missions only served to artificially lengthen the game, glitches that failed missions, missions you could get stuck in permanently if you didn't do exactly what the game wanted, and to top it off a final boss who had x-ray vision and 100% accuracy. Even the story, which was maybe the one good thing about the game, had dumb issues like the way the main character's love life was made out to be very important by the consigliere, but his girlfriend was shown in one mission, then never shown again. An off hand comment was made about him getting married and then later having child who is never shown.

I'm so surprised that people look back on this game so fondly. Maybe game mechanics have changed so much that there are some games you just can't go back to.

Anteater

I'm still enjoying borderlands, although I think the whole rpg mechanic thing could be done a little better, bullet sponges everywhere. It's like those point and click loot games in fps form.

I even bought borderlands 2 goty so I hope I don't get bored of it soon.

I think this is tantamount to cheating.

I'd totally get a 21:9 monitor if more games were to support it, I sometimes use 21:9 resolutions on my 16:9 display just for the wider FOV (with black bars!), but it's such a hassle to tweak every game to work in that aspect ratio.

zkylon

zkylewd
I finished up Mafia today. I don't know if this was just a case of "you had to be there", but this was one of the worst games I've ever played. Clunky controls, unsatisfying gunplay, a sim-like driving model that for 80% of missions only served to artificially lengthen the game, glitches that failed missions, missions you could get stuck in permanently if you didn't do exactly what the game wanted, and to top it off a final boss who had x-ray vision and 100% accuracy. Even the story, which was maybe the one good thing about the game, had dumb issues like the way the main character's love life was made out to be very important by the consigliere, but his girlfriend was shown in one mission, then never shown again. An off hand comment was made about him getting married and then later having child who is never shown.

I'm so surprised that people look back on this game so fondly. Maybe game mechanics have changed so much that there are some games you just can't go back to.

yeah, u had to be there

hasn't aged great

Jawmuncher

Even when I played Mafia on PS2 I knew the game was something that wouldn't hold up. The thing I remember most was not having the right keys to steal cars and just endlessly hearing "I've never seen that lock before".

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hm. Any chance of Binding of Isaac Rebirth going any lower than the current 50% off any time soon or should I just go ahead and grab it now? I've put a bunch of time into it on Vita but I had it through PS+, which has currently lapsed.

But yeah, grab it now or wait?

Anteater

If they could remove Criterion's patented hand-holding unskippable cut-scenes, you'd have a pretty great game.

The unskippable video shit is in a lot of EA games, their title screens most of the time are the same video that tie to their unskippable logos.

I've come to the conclusion that they did it deliberately to spite us.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hm. Any chance of Binding of Isaac Rebirth going any lower than the current 50% off any time soon or should I just go ahead and grab it now? I've put a bunch of time into it on Vita but I had it through PS+, which has currently lapsed.

But yeah, grab it now or wait?

It probably won't get a bigger discount until (at minimum) the Fall sale which should happen around Thanksgiving (end of November, about 3 1/2 months from now) or possibly the Winter sale around the end of December. Even then it might not be discounted further.

If you think you'd play the PC version a bit in the next few months, I'd say grab it now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

The power of rose-tinted glasses. 99.999% of old games have aged atrociously, even the cherished ones.

Anteater

omg

i just noticed i have to use those backpack SDUs to expand my inventory in borderlands, i've been letting it sit in my inventory and wasting space

yes i'm a dumbass

Grief.exe

rtcn63

I played Suffering 1 and 2 on PS2. I remember it locking up my system repeatedly, although my PS2 was always a bit off. Better than Max Payne 3 and SH: Downpour.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I actually really liked ME3, the combat was amazing and the plot moved briskly... however, the story didn't pay off, and the ending was atrocious.

I wasn't around at that time, how did gaf take ME3's ending?

It was amazing, one of my fav threads ever. I pre-ordered it like so many, and played at a pretty average pace, so I would read the thread. Over the first few days everyone was generally positive, but as people started finishing, they would go off about how horrible the ending was. Then people would say, "well, it couldn't have been *that* bad," then they would finish the next day, and jump in and go off about how horrible the ending was. Twas glorious.

Edit: the biggest problem people had was the lack of reflection in their choices to the conclusion of the game. No matter what choices you made throughout the trilogy, you would be given the same red/green/blue choice at the end. It was pretty lazy, especially for for series that hyped choice and consequence as much as it did.

It was amazing, one of my fav threads ever. I pre-ordered it like so many, and played at a pretty average pace, so I would read the thread. Over the first few days everyone was generally positive, but as people started finishing, they would go off about how horrible the ending was. Then people would say, "well, it couldn't have been *that* bad," then they would finish the next day, and jump in and go off about how horrible the ending was. Twas glorious.
Just like BSN then, it was fun there.

zkylon

zkylewd
some answers were not funny -__-

I wasn't around at that time, how did gaf take ME3's ending?
iirc pretty bad

i mean there's like this process to understanding, multiple steps and everything

ppl being like "it's not that bad", then finding bizarre new meanings, then hating it completely, etc.

it was pretty insane haha

myself i was mostly annoyed at how they had like a pretty decent ending right the second before it gets absolutely terrible, but i hated almost all my time playing that game, so it wasn't like the ending changed my opinion of it, just more like cemented how poorly directed that game was

i also really enjoyed reading all the fan theories here and watching youtube videos about ppl's disbelief of how shit an ending could get lol

Deitus

I don't think I was posting on GAF at the time, but for me the ME3 ending was just disbelief followed by laughter. After everything else in ME2 and 3, I didn't have high hopes for the ending from a story perspective, but I couldn't believe they ended a trilogy like that.

As a fan of the first game, I wanted to be outraged, but I had gotten most of that out of my system long before getting to the end of ME3. I just couldn't help but sit back and laugh at the whole situation.

i also really enjoyed reading all the fan theories here and watching youtube videos about ppl's disbelief of how shit an ending could get lol

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The ending was so bad, that fans made up theories that the entire ending was an illusion. Hilarious.

RedSwirl

So there is never going to be a physical PC version of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood in North America. I'm thinking of importing an UK copy because downloading 38GB on my internet connection would actually take me longer than it has taken most people to complete Old Blood.

If I buy a UK copy will its CD key still work on my US Steam account? Is there a chance my computer's optical drive won't read the DVDs?

Dr.Acula

Banned
You mean the indoctrination theory?

No, that was different.

The very last enemy you fight in the game is a marauder, as Shep walks toward the beam thingy, and because it's an enemy encounter it says "Marauder (Shields)" above his head for his name and to indicate he has shields. So there was all this stuff about how he was Shep's greatest enemy and the trilogy building towards their final epic encounter

All this Mass Effect talks gave me an itch for 3rd person shooter action.
Should I get Spec Ops the Line if I loved ME series gunplay?

zkylon

zkylewd
jIKmDVJ.jpg

this hurt ;_;

i think it's a great game but for kind of different reasons. the gunplay isn't bad, i actually enjoyed it quite a lot, specially since on harder difficulties there's like a puzzle quality to the encounters, but it's not really the focus of the game

it's more like a story thing which imo was super good, but keep that in mind if you're thinking about buying it

jIKmDVJ.jpg

this hurt ;_;

i think it's a great game but for kind of different reasons. the gunplay isn't bad, i actually enjoyed it quite a lot, specially since on harder difficulties there's like a puzzle quality to the encounters, but it's not really the focus of the game

it's more like a story thing which imo was super good, but keep that in mind if you're thinking about buying it

That sounds pretty good!

get binary domain

it has some really minor dialogue choices and you get to shoot futuristic robots

I've already beaten Binary Domain.
Faye is life.

I'm pretty sure if you go on the Spec Ops store page on Steam you can DL a demo.

Wow, how did I miss it lol. I've been browsing the store page this past 15 minutes.
I'll try the demo first then, thanks!

Catshade

No no no, Spec Ops gunplay is pretty poor; people praised it for its story (and a few think the uninspired gunplay is intentional).

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow, how did I miss it lol. I've been browsing the store page this past 15 minutes.
I'll try the demo first then, thanks!

Yeah, PC games hardly ever have demos, you never think to look for them. It's a pleasant surprise. Fortunately, Steam displays demo DLs pretty prominently if you know to look.

Some quick impressions for the bundly-as-hell Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek.

Do you like hidden object scenes? Like REALLY like them? Wish the average hidden object game had lots and lots of them? Then this is the one for you. This one still has minigames, and it still has inventory puzzles, but boy howdy, so many of the needed items will come from hidden object scenes - and you'll go back to the same scene three times in some cases. AND they're trickier than average. Some of that stuff was hidden almost TOO well (friggin' glove! It should not be that hard to find a glove!) So get your searchin' boots on for this one.

The story: You play a...

well, if you've read my impressions, and you know about Artifex Mundi games, you know what you'll be playing. Here, I'll spoiler it so you can guess.

a
nameless
female
detective

and you're investigating the disappearance of "a young girl" (who's 19...must have been written by middle-aged folks, because 19 should already be "young woman") in Maple Creek, Vermont. But here's the twist. You start the game as the victim of a car accident and have amnesia. You discover that you were already in the middle of investigating (or even were nearly done?) so you have to piece together what happened to the girl as well as what happened to yourself. You use the wall of a boarding house as your detective wall, putting clues in various categories to make deductions - like Ace Attorney Investigations' basic logic, but even further dumbed down. (Example: a picture of a statue will go in the category marked "Statue." ...I wish I was making this up.)

Only two major problems with this one:

One, spelling errors aplenty. You don't use a rope to rappel down, but rather "repel" down. And of course, they mix up altar/alter. That takes me out of a game so fast.

And two, NOBODY MENTIONS GHOSTS. This game is called "The Ghosts of Maple Creek." At one point you do see an apparition for a second that might be a ghost, but the protagonist doesn't say one word about it. (And even then, that would be the ghost of Maple Creek, not ghosts.) They mention demons at one point, but a demon is hardly a ghost. Unless they're using the term in the metaphorical sense, referring to past secrets or something, but I'm not sure if I could give them that much credit. I haven't been this misled about a title since I saw The Neverending Story.

Seeing the ending of the main game, and then seeing the bonus chapter, you'll be smacking your forehead at how much of a dumbass both good guys are. Both had ideas on how to deal with the antagonist, and it would have taken literally 30 seconds of extra conversation to get things sorted, but nooo, you have to be so stubborn and end up needing a sequel.

The game and bonus chapter together took me 5 1/2 hours. A good length, and if you're not very good at hidden object scenes it could be quite a bit longer.

Title notwithstanding, I liked this one a lot. It's got a classic, "pure" hidden object game quality to it. The modern ones like Grim Legends and Nightmares from the Deep with their "interactive" hidden object scenes where you have to manipulate every object to get to the goal are fine, but now that I have this bundle, going back and playing the earlier titles is a nice change of pace, going back to the simplicity HOGs once had. So if that's what you're into, by all means give this a go.

zkylon

zkylewd
No no no, Spec Ops gunplay is pretty poor; people praised it for its story (and a few think the uninspired gunplay is intentional).
i dunno, i never got why ppl think the shooting is bad, it's not vanquish but it's not kane and lynch either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom