• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

bit Dungeon II -- MB-175689B49D9BF08A - Taken by Teppic. 2 entrants total.
Wizardry 8 -- MB-CD0F9CCE8539A98D - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Etherlords I & II -- MB-362C51134EC1ED77 - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Darkest Hours: Heart of Iron -- MB-B3BCE396B1F4965F - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Blades of Time Limited Edition -- MB-1E98B6929BFC16E7 - Taken by L.O.R.D. 2 entrants total.
Oknytt -- MB-54A051E3F485EE7F - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout -- MB-8F8EF7043B99C9F8 - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.
The Sacred Tears TRUE -- MB-09E70823B854B0A5 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 4 entrants total.
The Detail Episode 1 -- MB-CE8BF16BF560C7D5 - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-292D0A425C71973B - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 3 entrants total.
FATE: Undiscovered Realms -- MB-5B1C7280C4F70630 - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess & 2 DLC -- MB-B33EF775B029A076 - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
Claire -- MB-2366C6695F5FB48E - Taken by Dusk Golem. 3 entrants total.
Screen Cheat -- MB-CF54F8063DBDE1A9 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 4 entrants total.
Coin Crypt -- MB-04A7B1F35ED39228 - Taken by XDDX. 3 entrants total.
Odysseus: Long Way Home -- MB-A6F5BA7C6237AC8D - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-002E5D34AC76BF7B - Taken by Chreznor. 3 entrants total.
Rune Classic -- MB-8143E9C6DBF67780 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 2 entrants total.
Garden Rescue -- MB-0363C30577FF155A - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.

t1438557110z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man that image legit shook me because I thought it was a banner on steam. WB apparently own its now after the midway buy out. They really need to throw it up on Steam. Was such a good game.

WB doesn't seem to have any interest in doing things with its Midway purchases that aren't Mortal Kombat. Come to think of it, exactly nothing has come of the WB Vault initiative since it was announced almost 18 months ago: the Gauntlet remake is it.

What was the deal folks with the ending? I found it completely acceptable and logical. Might help that I had both the Extended Ending and Leviathan DLCs installed.

The ME3 ending is just the cherry on top of a shit sundae that starts smelling all the way back at the beginning of the Priority: Earth mission. Completely underwhelming most of the time, feels unpolished, narm-worthy moments ("STEEEEEVEEE!... you okay?"), mission objectives that come from nowhere (why is it we only find out when we're landing that we need heavy weapons to destroy the Spider-Reapers?Why don't we have heavy weapons on the Normandy?).

And then you get to the final act itself, where the Citadel starts displaying properties you've never seen before, the subtitles stop being consistent (
Anderson starts being referred to as an Admiral again
), there was an interesting chunk of dialogue cut out (where two characters talk about what they'll do after the war), etc.

The final setpiece takes place in an area that makes no logical sense (it appears you're exposed to space for some reason), has machines that have odd properties (blowing up a power core causes the destruction wave to selectively target synthetics?), the character who introduces these options to you handwaves or ignores bigger issues of genocide/your previous decisions, and the endings themselves, EC or not, feel rushed and unsatisfying.

There was a plan before to have it come off looking even worse, with the Starchild/Catalyst originally called "Guardian", who would basically throw out less dialogue than in the pre-EC ending and tell you to hurry up and do something. I shudder to think what would have happened if EA didn't give Bioware that four-month extension back at the end of 2011.

Rant over, lol.

Ozium

rainbow-clip-art-rainbow.gif
blossom4.bmp

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rainbow Six Siege Beta -- MB-1CA637278B98A866 - Taken by Coldsun. 6 entrants total.

t1438568150z1.png

PC (Uplay) - PS4 - XBONE

1)Go to Rainbow6.com/beta and select 'redeem code'
2) Select the Platform you'll play the Closed Beta on and log in to or create a Uplay account.
3)Opt in to The Siege Games for your chance to win while playing the Closed Beta
4)Enter your Access Code into the submission field
5)Once confirmation is received your spot in the Closed Beta will be reserved. You will be contacted via email with steps to access the Closed Beta later in 2015

cyborg009

Banned
Probably not. I played about 45 seconds of this... and I couldn't take it anymore. I wish I wasn't such a chicken when it comes to horror games. All I heard was knocking on the door and that was it for me son.

Sometimes I feel the same way. Especially horror movies too.

zkylon

zkylewd
well, got a few more, but decided to just finish her story. you're right, there's no point in going for 100% since the idea is to piece it together yourself, you're not gonna find a video with a concrete answer

so after the very non-explanatory ending (well, i guess it sets a few uncertain things straight), i browsed a bit over the spoiler thread and seems like i got to the same conclusions as most people

really good game, i wholeheartly recommend it to anyone interested in experiments in storytelling and just good, well executed stories in general. reminded me a lot of analogue: a hate story, which is about the best compliment i can give a game, so yeah, fantastic game

much thanks to punchy for gifting it to me

i think it's the first game i finish in like 3 months lol

i'm at 34/52, not so bad lol

The ME3 ending is just the cherry on top of a shit sundae that starts smelling all the way back at the beginning of the Priority: Earth mission. Completely underwhelming most of the time, feels unpolished, narm-worthy moments ("STEEEEEVEEE!... you okay?"), mission objectives that come from nowhere (why is it we only find out when we're landing that we need heavy weapons to destroy the Spider-Reapers?Why don't we have heavy weapons on the Normandy?).

And then you get to the final act itself, where the Citadel starts displaying properties you've never seen before, the subtitles stop being consistent (
Anderson starts being referred to as an Admiral again
), there was an interesting chunk of dialogue cut out (where two characters talk about what they'll do after the war), etc.

The final setpiece takes place in an area that makes no logical sense (it appears you're exposed to space for some reason), has machines that have odd properties (blowing up a power core causes the destruction wave to selectively target synthetics?), the character who introduces these options to you handwaves or ignores bigger issues of genocide/your previous decisions, and the endings themselves, EC or not, feel rushed and unsatisfying.

There was a plan before to have it come off looking even worse, with the Starchild/Catalyst originally called "Guardian", who would basically throw out less dialogue than in the pre-EC ending and tell you to hurry up and do something. I shudder to think what would have happened if EA didn't give Bioware that four-month extension back at the end of 2011.

Rant over, lol.

i hated almost everything about me3, so i have to agree, the ending is just like the culmination of a snowball of dumb that's built over that game

Spyware

Interesting to see ME3 ending talk again. Most of you can describe so well what you think went wrong. I can't. I just hate it. Hatehatehate.
Doesn't help that I wanted to replay the game, but use the "nice ending mod" (that makes the Citadel DLC the end), and EA screwed everything up. I've asked them for help a bunch of times during TWO years now and they can't fix it.
The problem? I could buy the silly "Bioware points" needed for the DLC... but I can't spend the points. Meaning I have already spent the money but didn't get anything at all for it. I just get a general error message and they can't fix it. They gave me a single DLC for free "to see if I could download it". Worked perfectly. But then it was right back to "We can't do anything about this problem". How hard can it be to just give me the stuff for free since they can see the points in my account? I can't spend the points, and even if they somehow could ever fix it I would already own everything I could possibly buy.
Ugh. Sorry about the rant :(

Yeah and it worked perfectly when I played it. Best way to experience the third game for sure. All the nice stuff from New Vegas but with the world Bethesda built <3

Sober

well, got a few more, but decided to just finish her story. you're right, there's no point in going for 100% since the idea is to piece it together yourself, you're not gonna find a video with a concrete answer

so after the very non-explanatory ending (well, i guess it sets a few uncertain things straight), i browsed a bit over the spoiler thread and seems like i got to the same conclusions as most people

really good game, i wholeheartly recommend it to anyone interested in experiments in storytelling and just good, well executed stories in general. reminded me a lot of analogue: a hate story, which is about the best compliment i can give a game, so yeah, fantastic game
Her Story is basically what people do to piece together lore in Souls games, except that's the express point of the game. It's devoid of traditional mechanics which is interesting because I can attest to the fact that sometimes my brain just turns off during mechanical interaction, especially if the game isn't spoon-feeding me story straight into my face.

Picked up the Borderlands Pre-Sequel + DLC when it was on sale recently. So they have bonus content if it recognizes saves for BL and/or BL2. I played the first two games on the console, this is my first BL game I've bought on PC. So is there no way to claim the extra content then? I would think logging into my existing SHIFT account would cover that, but apparently not. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Her Story is basically what people do to piece together lore in Souls games, except that's the express point of the game. It's devoid of traditional mechanics which is interesting because I can attest to the fact that sometimes my brain just turns off during mechanical interaction, especially if the game isn't spoon-feeding me story straight into my face.

i feel it's a lot less obfuscated at least

Did they even release substantial Singleplayer DLC that expanded Sheppards adventures throughout the universe?
i think they did, but my shep was forever ruined after that game (to be precise at the last me2 dlc)

AHA-Lambda

Fuck, may just be me, but the difficulty for Valdis Story ramps up quick! O_O

Some really frustrating bosses and an annoying habit of enemies that'll juggle you >_>

DocSeuss

That's interesting, I used to play America's Army back in the day so that doesn't bother me.

Source?

iirc, they also did this for AREA 51 of all things and a couple other Midway games.

Unrelated: Microsoft released the source code for MechCommander and MechCommander 2 a while ago. MechWarrior 4 too iirc.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Started going down my games list alphabetically. Antichamber won. Installed an playing now.

Pretty cool so far.

It's definitely neat and has some cool effects that mess with the player's perception that I wish more videogames attempted.

However, it can start to feel tedious after a while and the game lacks that little something extra required to motivate you forward.

Salsa

It's definitely neat and has some cool effects that mess with the player's perception that I wish more videogames attempted.

However, it can start to feel tedious after a while and the game lacks that little something extra required to motivate you forward.

yeah im on that latter boat. surprised its not a more popular opinion and everyone seems to really love the game

I thought it was really interesting and smart at places but lack of motivation to move forward is a good way to put it

I still finished it but by the end I was kinda eh on it

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Just finished my first playthrough of MGS: ground zeroes main op.
Decided to go full stealth and use m/kb for my first playthough and it went brilliantly, though some things could be fixed in regards to key assignments and such.

Like interrogations being really finicky as I had to hold in a good amount of different keys at the same time, also no shortcut right to map (Would have liked M for map and like tab to default to menu), moving in cover being really annoying because of camera movement made me automatically get popped out of it and so forth, small things I hope they fix for MGSV release.

Really looking forward to phantom pain and I have no idea how I will make it those 15 days between concole and PC release.

Jawmuncher

Just finished my first playthrough of MGS: ground zeroes main op.
Decided to go full stealth and use m/kb for my first playthough and it went brilliantly, though some things could be fixed in regards to key assignments and such.

Like interrogations being really finicky as I had to hold in a good amount of different keys at the same time, also no shortcut right to map (Would have liked M for map and like tab to default to menu), moving in cover being really annoying because of camera movement made me automatically get popped out of it and so forth, small things I hope they fix for MGSV release.

Really looking forward to phantom pain and I have no idea how I will make it those 15 days between concole and PC release.

You should play with a controller, unless you're one of those gamers that HAS to play everything on PC with the KB&M even if it lessens the experience.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
You should play with a controller, unless you're one of those gamers that HAS to play everything on PC with the KB&M even if it lessens the experience.

Trying both, the main op is so short so will definetly play through it multiple times with controller (or m/kb if I feel like it works better for me after I've tried both).

Yeah and it worked perfectly when I played it. Best way to experience the third game for sure. All the nice stuff from New Vegas but with the world Bethesda built <3
how straightforward is it? i mean, how does texture mods for fallout 3 work, and doesnt that make you overleved in new vegas? or it resets when you get there?

Omega

Banned
And Mass Effect 3 done.
90 hours spread through all three games in the series in the last three weeks.
I sure got my money's worth here/
Just wish ME3 was on Steam. It's ridiculous that EA doesn't want to maximize their profit for the game - I'm sure a lot of folks would gladly double dip (or purchase the PC version for the first time).
Oh well, EA gonna EA.

What was the deal folks with the ending? I found it completely acceptable and logical. Might help that I had both the Extended Ending and Leviathan DLCs installed.

the fuck is wrong with you.

also of course it might seem "logical" when you had their poorly attempted retcon DLC available to you. That's like going back and replaying the Halo games and wondering why people hated the H2 ending.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think this is tantamount to cheating.

Get on my level (Hot tip: click the screenshot.)

rayman_legends_2013_09_14_04_28_56_89_by_aloooo81-d93xlo3.jpg

(It can actually stretch far enough to break the illusion. Look at the cut off wall of water rushing towards you!)

But seriously, the game is gorgeous and playing it on a real 21:9 monitor sounds sublime. Here are some old screenshots I have of it at super wide aspect ratios, cropped a bit.

rayman_legends_2013_09_14_21_40_13_057_by_aloooo81-d93xlnl.jpg

rayman_legends_2013_09_14_04_27_51_89_by_aloooo81-d93xlob.jpg

rayman_legends_2013_09_14_04_17_13_73_by_aloooo81-d93xlon.jpg

rayman_legends_2013_09_14_04_11_55_20_by_aloooo81-d93xlov.jpg

rayman_legends_2013_09_14_04_24_54_92_by_aloooo81-d93xlof.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom