• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

I'm still feeling a little burned by Beyond Earth as it looked to be the perfect spiritual successor to Alpha Centuri but I didn't really heed the warning from the prerelease material. It was a bit low on content especially when if came to leaders/factions but I haven't fired it up so not sure if any patches addressed some of the issues. Plus I'm super pissed I missed the price mistake the other day but hopefully this expansion adds the depth to the base game that most Civ expansion do.
I've never played Alpha Centauri so I wasn't bummed at Beyond Earth not being it, but it was kinda disappointing to see Beyond Earth be basically a heavily-modified Civ V.

Ha! I feel like the ogre of the Steam thread now :(

Eh, it's a reasonable request. Lists without explanations are like screenshots without saying what game they're from.

HunieCam Studio Announcement Trailer

It is what all of you think it is.

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Tizoc

Looks interesting, but that art style, ugh.
Also, it's kind of sad to see the girls from the previous game turn into camgirls. Wonder how he'll explain that. I mean, this Lola girl was a hairdresser, right?

I'm hoping the art style is one of the things that'll change by release :p

Pachimari

So before starting up Ground Zeroes, I'm trying to mod in the improved max settings. I'm supposed to replace a gr_init_dx11 file with the one in my .rar, but I can't find \data_02\Fox\Scripts\Gr. Can someone tell me where it is located?

I see a data_02.g0s but nothing else.

Pachimari

Okay, I almost give up on modding. I understand nothing of it, and it is really frustrating.
First I didn't know how to mod Skyrim, and now I don't know how to mod Ground Zeroes.

Sad day. =;(

When I open the GzsTool.exe, a black window pops up and goes away, and then nothing happens.
First my Nortin anti-virus blocked it but I excluded it from the list.

Dr Dogg

I've never played Alpha Centauri so I wasn't bummed at Beyond Earth not being it, but it was kinda disappointing to see Beyond Earth be basically a heavily-modified Civ V.

Eh, it's a reasonable request. Lists without explanations are like screenshots without
saying what game they're from.

The lack of leaders/factions and the more mushed together nature of them with no real defining traits that aid diplomacy, conquest or tech victories was a big bummer for me. I could handle a reskined and modded Civ with some freaky alien religion mechanics but alas it's not there yet.

Okay, I almost give up on modding. I understand nothing of it, and it is really frustrating.
First I didn't know how to mod Skyrim, and now I don't know how to mod Ground Zeroes.

Sad day. =;(

Essentially you need to unpack the contents of that file like you would do a zip file. You then replace the file in question you want to mod then you repack the file so it can be used by the game. There should be a unpacker and repacker with the mod tools for Ground Zeroes.

Pachimari

Essentially you need to unpack the contents of that file like you would do a zip file. You then replace the file in question you want to mod then you repack the file so it can be used by the game. There should be a unpacker and repacker with the mod tools for Ground Zeroes.

I'm at the step were I have unpacked the GzsTool but opening up GzsTool.exe does nothing, so I'm stuck here.

Caerith

The lack of leaders/factions and the more mushed together nature of them with no real defining traits that aid diplomacy, conquest or tech victories was a big bummer for me. I could handle a reskined and modded Civ with some freaky alien religion mechanics but alas it's not there yet.
Yeah, I'm interested in playing once it's got its equivalent of Gods & Kings or Brave New World, but I'd still like to see Firaxis make a (non-mobile) game that isn't Civ, XCOM, or Ace Patrol.

Lain

HunieCam Studio Announcement Trailer

It is what all of you think it is.

The new artstyle isn't exactly winning me over. For example, as much as I like them, heart-shaped pupils shouldn't be used that way, they should be left for the right time and used sparingly. Things like that make this game feel even cheaper than it already looks.

It still got my vote but I guess I was expecting something a bit more... interesting.

Pachimari

It's so stupid how Origin (Battlefield) decides to use the default browser to launch the game. My default browser is Chrome, and it won't support the needed plugin from v.45 onward.

MUnited83

For you.
Both the artstyles are bad though. In my opinion of course.
I think it was decent enough. The default images for girls could definitely be better in the first one but in the CG scenes they are pretty good imo.

This just looks bad either way. It looks cheap, and those eyes make it even worse.

Kinda crazy now that I think about it, the only MGS game I've played on a Dualshock is MGS4. MGS 1, 2 Ground Zeroes, and Rising I played on PC with a 360 controller. 3 and peace walker I played on 360.

Rising with a 360 controller was not a good time, then again, it's not as bad as something like DMC on a 360 controller.

Pachimari

Okay, I think I am doing an all-nighter in front of the computer. And I have some tasks ahead. To make the Improved Max Settings mod work with Ground Zeroes, in that case, it'll be my first successful mod install. And then making my Dual Shock 4 work on Windows 10, and lastly modding in the PlayStation symbols in Ground Zeroes, just to try it out. And then complete Ground Zeroes before returning to Final Fantasy XIV.

That's my plan for the night.

Dr Dogg

I'm at the step were I have unpacked the GzsTool but opening up GzsTool.exe does nothing, so I'm stuck here.

Ah I see. It's not a GUI application but one you use from the command line. Give me a sec and I'll see what I can do that will make it a piece of cake for you.

Yeah, I'm interested in playing once it's got its equivalent of Gods & Kings or Brave New World, but I'd still like to see Firaxis make a (non-mobile) game that isn't Civ, XCOM, or Ace Patrol.

Fingers crossed it gets the support as Civ V is 5 years old this year and I imagine VI isn't that too far off.

I think it was decent enough. The default images for girls could definitely be better in the first one but in the CG scenes they are pretty good imo.

This just looks bad either way. It looks cheap, and those eyes make it even worse.

This does look worse though, ill give you that.

Pachimari

Ah I see. It's not a GUI application but one you use from the command line. Give me a sec and I'll see what I can do that will make it a piece of cake for you.

I will love you forever if you can help me out, and teach me this modding thing.
Modding is also one of the reasons I build my own gamer PC but I don't have the skills it seems heh.

Hektor

What's the hot stuff you people are looking forward to (besides MGS)?

PC:

XCOM2:
I really liked the XCOM Reboot. While it was more streamlined than the old games, it was so in a (mostly) good way, I'd say. Having to put ammunition in the inventory of your troops before every mission never really added something to the game, it was good decision of the reboot to cut stuff like that out, while still keeping tactical depth in the mission and a huge ammount of customization for your troops. And while it did have some issues, the addon fixed nearly all of them, like the lacking map variety.

And now, instead of another addon, we're getting a fullfledged sequel, with a far more interesting scenario - Playing a Rebell organisation on an occupied earth rather than a huge ass military only defending said earth - and that in difference to the reboot, once again as a PC-Exclusive with official modsupport from the devs. Fucking awesome.

Tales of Zestiria:
I honestly have no idea about this gane, but i enjoyed a few other tales of games and this one looks really pretty, lol.

Party Hard:
A game about an annoyed man who wants to bomb the party of his neighbours. Literally.
It wants to be a tactical stealth/strategy game slash mass murderer simulator featuring humor, "we are indie" pixel art and a setting absolutely everyone can identify himself with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn03cbhDUUk

Banner Saga 2:

While the first game was overall a bit lacking in the gameplay department, it still managed to be a very engaging experience due to its art, story and setting.
This is the second installment of whats supposed to be a trilogy and will most likely be more of the same, but since it is build upon a predecessor i hope its going to be a more polished, deeper expierence in the actual battles.

Deux Ex: Mankind Divided:
Basically the same as with the XCOM Reboot, its a new, more streamlined installment in a classic and beloved series. Featuring a Cyberpunk setting full of nonsensical conspiracy theorys, cool technology and a compelling mix of action and stealth-gameplay - Suck this TLOU - it will most assuredly be as good as Human Revolution, which was one of the best games of 2011.

No mans Sky:
Well, actually, its only the pretty art-style. But dammit, is it beautiful.

Shadow Warriror 2:
Shadow Warrior, again a more streamlined reboot of a pretty old franchise, managed to be a very comeplling run'n'gun shooter mixing old-shool with modern age, creating one of the best shooter experiences i had in recent years, featuring many different weapons, huge amounts of enemy variety, funny pubertary humor and Lo "The Wang" "Wang.

And this time its going to be more, bigger, and better. Tho i have to admit that i became a bit sceptical after hearing that the devs wanna make it borderlandish by implementing loot and random generated maps. Nevertheless, ill buy it day one because the devs really deserved that credit after the first game.

SUPERHOT:
https://superhotgame.com/play-prototype/

Armello:
Once again, its prmarily the art.
All i know about it is that its a turn based strategy slash cardgame featuring a beautful art-style that reminds me of old disney movies or watership down.

Console:

Scalebound:
A JPRG made by P* featuring huge ass Dragons in beautfil environments. Since we dont know much about the game, there isnt much i can say aside from the fact that it not only looks really fun and that im personaly also excited for the reason that this is P* first huge JPRG and therefore will work as a test, a prove of competence for my highly anticipated Nier 2.

Quantum Break:
Another Shooter from remedy. While remedy games are usually nowhere near perfect and received very middling reception with the release of alan wake, they're still one of my favorite western gamedevs.

Making not only engaging action games with fun mechanics (Probably a case for the controversial opinions thread) but also with well written story, characters and beautiful crafted environments they are one of the few devs that are able to make competent high budgets action games that exist outside of the grey brown sci-fi military shooter sphere that killed most of the modern actiongame market.

I trust in remedy to deliver once again a beautiful crafted, memorable action game.

P4DAN:
As a huge Persona fan and a new psvita owner, im really looking forward to the logial spinoff this JPRG series. Featuring beutiful art and a fantastic soundtrack, there just cant go anythign wrong.

Danganronpa another Episode:
The official vita exclusive pre-sequel (ugh) to the danganronpa series, a thid person shooter - the logical consequence for a Visual Novel puzzle series - featuring our all favorite bear monokuma and lotsa, lotsa japanesity. A weird action game for weird people, full of hope and despair.

Kingdom Hearts 3
Gosh, just look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKo4BgDnlfQ

Kingdom Hearts despite l of its obvious issues beeing one of my most favorite game series now finally delivers the ultimate, final ending to this trainwreck of a story. Featuring once more very beautiful art depicting fantastical disney worlds that i and many other people love and grew up with as well as a very engaging yet not very complex combat system, this game *Will* make me a little kid again. For i am Peter Pan and for i shall never be grown up!

The Last Guardian:
The Sequel to Shadow of the colossus - one of the best games of the PS2 Generation - will now finally release after 10 years of trobuled development. This game will be the make or break for the people behind it, after all those years of hype.

Many people including me look forward to it, anticipating an emotional, beautiful and well crafted experience, unique in every way but will the devs deliver? We shall see.

FFVII: Remake
Is there really anything to say? The so often asked for Remake of one of the most beloved JPRG Titles in gaming history now finally will be a thing.

This game is already guaranteed to cleave the fanbase into two, the people who'll hate *every* change and the people who dont. No matter who is right, it will be a fantastical display of an original meltdown of a kind that you can only find on NeoGAF.

And the game will probably be awesome too.

Persona 5:
http://imgur.com/gallery/E7Vga

Just you look at it!

Persona 3 and 4 are two of my GOAT's, beautiful crafted jrpgs featuring unique likeable characters, interesting emotional storylines, superb soundtracks and classical turn based JPRG Fights. There is no way in hell the sequel will disappointed. No way.

I absolutely cant wait for my justified anger at atlus' treatment of europe, awkward fanfiction and lotsa waifu talk.

FFXV:
Beeing the mix of The last Guardian and FF7: Remake in terms of development history, this game will indeed be controversial and spawn mountains of salt.

And while it looks like its going to be a good but not the best game ever featuring an awful translation, fun fights, cool art-design (Once aagina case for the controversial opinions thread) and probably an awful story - the latter beeing questionable, but i dont wanna get my hopes up - it will write history as one of the most expansive games squeenix ever made.

Nier 2:
The Fucking Sequel to the fucking best game ever. This time developed by fucking platinum games, while still keeping fucking yoko taro as writer and designer and fucking Keeichi Okabe as fucking soundtrack componist.

My fucking Meltdown:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168373638&postcount=18576
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168375198&postcount=35

A german gamejournos fucking meltdown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll2qpvjc_XA

Fuck.

And? A bunch of lists that everyone posts with no context as to why they're interested in isn't even shit discussion it's no discussion. Fine if that's the standards you want but I'd rather have a little bit more quality and possibly a conversation about something I might have missed or not been aware of you know hence why I politely asked if people could just add a little. You might even get to know a poster better but no no carry on posting lists.

You happy now?
330x192

Tenrius

Spellforce has like the longest (and most pointless) tutorial I've ever seen (not counting KH2 and the like, those are different). Neat CG intro though (and the game itself seems to be pretty great).

I'm still feeling a little burned by Beyond Earth as it looked to be the perfect spiritual successor to Alpha Centuri but I didn't really heed the warning from the prerelease material. It was a bit low on content especially when if came to leaders/factions but I haven't fired it up so not sure if any patches addressed some of the issues. Plus I'm super pissed I missed the price mistake the other day but hopefully this expansion adds the depth to the base game that most Civ expansion do.

I've pre-ordered Rising Tide and will share my opinion after a few games.

With Beyond Earth they did release two patches which addressed some things, the biggest problem addressed being the trade route system. They automated it and shifted the gameplay focus on to the espionage system, which is a hell of a lot more fun in my opinion and BE's best feature.

They also did a Wonder pass which changed the function and cost of many of the wonders.

That said the Faction design is still different from Civ design. Civs are hard bonuses, defined playstyles. Factions are soft bonuses, payload load outs are soft bonuses, Affinities are soft bonuses, as are Virtues and building quests; everything is up to the player to define in Beyond Earth. That hasn't changed.

That said, Rising Tide is doing is ripping out the Civ V-styled diplomacy system, which is garbage even in Civ V I'd argue (even with BNW), and are adding in a system which they hope will address peoples complaints about the leaders not having personalities or how players should react towards them. There's going to be a new diplomatic currency system which you can use to either interact with other Factions or come up with traits/bonuses to define your own.

And on top of that there are new 4 new factions, new biomes, biomes having more affect on playstyle, more aliens, the ability to tame them (!) with scouts, water settling, moveable water cities, more water units, hybrid affinities being more valid playstyle, hybrid affinity units, and an artifact system.

I did not like Beyond Earth at launch, at all. I put 50 hours into it, to try and give it a fair shake and uninstalled it. I reinstalled it after it was patched and enjoyed it so much more. I'm sitting at around 250 hours of playtime now. Beyond Earth is still a flawed game but I think it's fun. I love amassing cyborg armies and "liberating" earth, becoming one with the planet and sharing the enlightenment with others through xeno titans or burning the impure and xenos filth with mighty floatstone powered dreadnoughts. No other game lets me do those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom