• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of UI and Mad Max good grief does that need some toning down in that game. Ever icon has a cartoony look to them, there are constant messages popping up all over the screen telling you all sorts of info that was probably obvious, the colours are garish and clash with the pallet used for the game over all and to top it all off the size of almost every element is flipping massive that really would be too big for me on a monitor from a foot away. If I even get to it hopefully you can turn most if not all of that off.

Salsa

rea talk mad max looks good and I am interested in it, however at this point I can just see over the trappings and realize how a game like that makes for a cool 1 hour montage of gameplay / 2 minute trailer and how in the end i'd just be climbing another tower or whatever

plus another attempt at Batman combat that will probably end up as weak as all the other copycats and not something that strangely works, like sleeping dogs

I also kinda hate the art style and that gif with added colors bums me out

only thing keepin my head up on it is Avalanche obviously

-MD-

rea talk mad max looks good and I am interested in it, however at this point I can just see over the trappings and realize how a game like that makes for a cool 1 hour montage of gameplay / 2 minute trailer and how in the end i'd just be climbing another tower or whatever

plus another attempt at Batman combat that will probably end up as weak as all the other copycats and not something that strangely works, like sleeping dogs

I also kinda hate the art style and that gif with added colors bums me out

only thing keepin my head up on it is Avalanche obviously

I feel the same towards it, I want to play it but I expect I'll be doing pointless sidequests, capturing zones and winning melee fights with my eyes closed for the majority of the game.

That combat system really bums me out, I've never played an Avalanche game so I don't even have that going for me.

Salsa

add the fact that it can totally be a success that people will love and I'll still find awful like Shadow of Mordor

so if you love that sorta thing then sure

MNC

Hehe, Alien is on TV now and its making me appreciate Alien Isolation even more. The sound design in that game is such a big homage to the movie.

Sajjaja

vKTuZWO.gif

Salsa

yeah I saw that on reddit and instantly wondered if I could shoot it or tie the balloon to it even tho its in your base already

L.O.R.D

just finished ori , the ending was great
love it
i wished the final sequence was longer then that

some beautiful screenshot i took from the credits

AC1D6775DC631E1DF839776A32C3C0C1C71407D5

27D02F87BAB22913154320025C301017012AE02F

this is the saddest moment in the game

5BF0B798070D4DBFCDD57C6577374289EF1934D9

maybe i will play it again of the expansion was free

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I can report that Sonic All-stars racing transformed is a buggy mess and we've had so much problem that we've played 3-4 races in an hour, THANKS SEGA!

Didn't Jshackles say that Type-0 is mediocre?

I will tell you, this game is mediocre.

He may have, but it wasn't "mediocre" enough to prevent him from preordering the PC version. Besides, JShackles's taste is JShackles's taste and is not applicable to anyone other than him. It only becomes any sort of aid to someone who has similar taste when it comes to FF games.

It's a different type of FF, but I think it's pretty good. Story is nonsensical like 13 before it. But the atmosphere and mood of it is nice. Just be sure to skip the command missions or whatever they are called. Not worth the time. The price it's at is more than fair. Esoecially on steam where the chocobo will have a good price on it.

Most FF stories are "nonsensical".
Just depends on whether or not you find them interesting and again, goes back to personal taste.

Bioshock Infinite is mediocre, yet appears on GOTY lists on this very site.

Much like that game too, hmm...

See... no. Not for me at least. BioShock Infinite is one of the best games I've played in recent years and had I played it in 2014, it would've beaten out Spelunky for #1 on my list.

This site has bad taste, just like me.

Remember how MGS4 won 2 GOTY's? Yeah...

I know, right? They think that Uncharted 2 wasn't the worst in the series... can you believe it?

I did.

I'm hoping that the PC version is a little less mediocre, but overall it's a pretty meh Final Fantasy game.

See above.

this thread is hella lame

Hmmmm.... and yet you post in here and seem to want recognition for what you post... all from the hella lame... so what's that say about you? ;)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That sucks. :/

I was unaware that it remained 30fps in the HD versions. Hopefully there is a workaround for the fps lock.

Well the HD version doesn't run on the original engine and is pretty much a reconstructed game, so there is a tiny bit of hope there provided unlocking it doesn't mess up anything major.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmmmm.... and yet you post in here and seem to want recognition for what you post... all from the hella lame... so what's that say about you? ;)

not recognition, was hoping someone would be interested in talking about it, it hasn't been THAT long since the latest ep and ppl seem to love that game around here

Turfster

not recognition, was hoping someone would be interested in talking about it, it hasn't been THAT long since the latest ep and ppl seem to love that game around here

The problem with actually talking about plot points in games, even in spoilers, is that you'll immediately get swamped by people complaining about spoilers =p

MUnited83

For you.
Well the HD version doesn't run on the original engine and is pretty much a reconstructed game, so there is a tiny bit of hope there provided unlocking it doesn't mess up anything major.
From what I remember it does run on the same engine(with the added bells and whistles and all that)

It's always so sad to see DLC in Steam's top ten. (Unless it's Crusader Kings 2-related.)

I wonder how long Arkham Knight will sit in the top ten when it returns. Unless there's a sale to coincide with the Dark Knight's return, I don't see it being there for more than a day or two.
Or more realistically, several weeks because dammit, Steam users!
he's slowly turning into geralt

DougCockle7.jpg

Amazeballs.

zkylon

zkylewd
The problem with actually talking about plot points in games, even in spoilers, is that you'll immediately get swamped by people complaining about spoilers =p
well tbh the plot itself about the game is the less interesting thing part for me

i like the themes better and how they work with the rewind mechanic

the whole "what right do i have to change the past" thing, and also how rewinding allows you to see a more complete version of all the characters and their motivations and how that informs your choices in the game

thats my favorite thing about the game and i love how good it is at it taking advantage of that one mechanic the game has

also yea i wanna talk plot too cos it's also pretty cool haha

Salsa

only did a couple more stages than what the demo offered but Not A Hero is already clicking a lot more for me

I really disliked some movement stuff in the demo but it seems it was a "get used to it" thing

so far all characters are kinda bad compared to the first one tho

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles:

Been thinking a little bit about Idle Master's UI. I think blacklisting games should be easier. Right now, here are your options:
- If idling for cards, blacklist current game
- Manually blacklist by appid from the blacklist menu

Here are some examples of things you can't do, but that users would want to:
- Blacklist a game in the "idle everything to 2 hours" phase (UI design: right click game name in the box, click blacklist)
- See the full list of upcoming games and blacklist multiples at a time. (UI design: The blacklist page should have two text list panes side by side. The left should be the blacklist. The right should be Games with Card drops. There should be either a <-- --> style UI controls to move stuff on and off the blacklist, or a [+] below the trashcan which adds selections from the right pane. Once games are added to the blacklist, their app name should appear in italics next to the appid.

I've only dabbled in C# and don't have Visual Studio installed right now to be able to test, but a brief google for "add context menu to item in list view c#" makes it seem easy so I suspect the first of those two suggestions is quite easy.

The second is clearly harder, but from what I can see you should already be able to map IDs to game names by using the data stored in your AllBadges list (I guess if someone blacklists something they don't own you'd have to do a manual lookup, still not that hard). And then the movement between panes doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult. The right pane is pre-populated by the contents of AllBadges less those with IDs matching the contents of the current blacklist. If someone deletes something from the blacklist, add it and regenerate the whole pane on the right. If someone adds something to the blacklist, add it and regenerate the whole pane on the right. You don't even need to worry about the issue of someone blacklisting something they don't own and deleting it, because if you always regenerate the rightmost pane, no problem.

For an example user story / use case of why this might matter, see me. I just opened IdleMaster. I have 247 games to idle. I only idle stuff I don't plan on playing, so maybe 100 games on this list should be blacklisted for now. If I idle one at a time I have pretty good granular control and I'm unlikely to idle something against my will. But then I'm probably paying more in electricity to keep my computer awake than I'm making from cards. If I do the bulk-idle-to-30, my earning potential improves, but there are maybe 6 games on the list of 30 I don't want to idle. So I try to scroll the list to the right part to remember the names, open a browser, look up the id, go into blacklist, add them to the blacklist. And it seems like the bulk-idle doesn't update to reflect blacklist changes, so then I quit and re-open IdleMaster.

You definitely make some valid points, and the blacklist section is very much in need of an overhaul. The current UI was really just a hold-over from the Python version of Idle Master where the appids would be entered one at a time into the blacklist.txt file.

Everything you mention here should be possible - the reason I haven't done it yet is that the game's name is currently not being saved in the program settings, and retrieving every appid's name at runtime would prove problematic and overload the API. So I'm planning on completely overhauling how the blacklist is saved and retrieved in the application to accommodate caching these values. If you enter an appid manually I'll still have to use the API to look up it's name (to save it properly) but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Strangely enough, I've gotten a lot of feedback from people who say they blacklist stuff even before they buy it so that they're absolutely sure. I like your idea about the two panes there though, will probably use that idea.

My problem right now is just coming up with enough free time to get everything that I want to do done. This has definitely been on my list, but I've also had to work about 60 hours this week so it's been a bit tough to find the time where I feel like sitting down and coding.

zkylon

zkylewd
what i like about lis is that instead of choosing who dies and lives you choose who's feelings you hurt

perfect game for me

you're like, break someone's heart, then someone else's, then play god and figure out which person's heart can heal better or could use a bit of a beating better

i would make such good use of max's power irl

Salsa

remember how I got that copy of Killing Floor 2 from the Alienware stream

remember how I activated it and kinda regreted it cause im kinda meh on the game and wanted other similarly priced stuff

gettin offers for tradin KF2 for MGSV

fuck my life again

MUnited83

For you.
remember how I got that copy of Killing Floor 2 from the Alienware stream

remember how I activated it and kinda regreted it cause im kinda meh on the game and wanted other similarly priced stuff

gettin offers for tradin KF2 for MGSV

fuck my life again
Are you sure those are legit offers tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom