• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Anyone have any favorites from Meridian 4? I'm intrigued that Techland made Chrome, but not necessarily intrigued enough to buy it.

iosefe

so i had the most interesting steam glitch today

i was able to launch a shared game from someone elses library during maintenence, shortly before regular service returned.

i stayed in that game, but Steam did not consider me in-game. however, achievments and playtime were counted

but here is the kicker:

the person whose library i was using was also able to play a game from it without kicking me off

Knurek

Wait, what?
Hexadrive did the FF Type-0 PC port?

Is this some sort of test run before Okami PC port?
Capcom, you know this would sell shitloads. Do it!

GaussTek

Wait, what?

Hexadrive also did the PS4 and XB1 versions of Type-0 HD, not just the PC version.

Edit. And, actually I'm not so sure that they helped out in the PC port, I mean yeah, they did the HD remasterization for PS4/XB1, but the PC port? It could have been S-E alone heh...

Kanokare

Neato. I got a foil.

s66NmVa.png

Dsyndrome

I just barely know what's going on in Type 0; I've watched the opening movie a few times now to try to internalize all the exposition thrown at the player in the first 5-10 minutes, and all I've gotten is that the White Tiger faction sucks and went to war against the Flying Birds. Still don't know fully what the kids are, will try to read the manual and see what I've missed in the first hour.

Doesn't hope that the l'Cie stuff from XIII is making an appearance.

I just barely know what's going on in Type 0; I've watched the opening movie a few times now to try to internalize all the exposition thrown at the player in the first 5-10 minutes, and all I've gotten is that the White Tiger faction sucks and went to war against the Flying Birds. Still don't know fully what the kids are, will try to read the manual and see what I've missed in the first hour.

Doesn't hope that the l'Cie stuff from XIII is making an appearance.
Just play the game, you aren't meant to know everything going in.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I am shocked that a company as behind the times as Atlus would hate the idea of getting more money. Shocked I say.

A PC release for an Atlus developed game is as likely as a timely European release.

We'll get it, by playing it on a ps3 emulator in 10 years.

I am shocked that a company as behind the times as Atlus would hate the idea of getting more money. Shocked I say.

A PC release for an Atlus developed game is as likely as a timely European release.

Just because they port a game to PC doesn't mean the number of sales will recoup the money spent and net them a tidy profit.

Caerith

Seriously, you'd think they'd at least do some sort of analysis or something to determine whether the costs (in time and resources) for porting games to PC would be offset by the projected profits. All my research shows that fully-featured PC ports take only 0.38 manhours (or 23 manminutes) of labor and the only resource needed is a heart that believes, so I don't know what they're doing over there.

Dsyndrome

Finished LiS Ep 4, had a feeling about that person, could never put my finger on it.
why was he so chummy with the Vortex Club? Victoria did have a nice turnaround though, at least in my play through. I'm also guessing alternate universe Rachel Amber makes an appearance in episode 5 like the transparent deer and the moon
. Things aren't going to end well with the current trajectory.

Dr Dogg

Wait, what?

Well as stated they handled the PS4 and XO versions and it makes sense as it's running on their engine which they know about better than anyone so why hand it to someone else that doesn't have a clue how it works.

Funny you mention Okami though as the game does exactly the same thing in terms of rendering as Okami output a 1920x1080 image but was internally rendered at 3840x2160. Seems in the move to PC they forgot their fixed platform sensibilities and didn't bother to take the couple of hours work to query a users system resolutions which they could use for presentation and/or rendering resolutions. And before someone gets on their stupid defensive stance on there are more display resolutions than 1280x720 and 1920x1080 you know. Christ there are next to no native 1280x720 panels produced ever let alone today as most of them are 1366x768 with some not even scaling correctly when fed a 1280x720 image. What about the 1280x1024 users? The 1440x900, 1600x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 2560x1440 folks?

Look at the modern consoles, no matter what they all handle the same output resolutions in line with signals that TVs accept as standard (and remember folks 1080p is a signal not a resolution) because they are fixed and operating within a tight standards driven field. But that's not the realm of PC's across the 3 main operating systems where flexibility and options need to be available to take in as many of the different configurations there are. People can moan as much as they like about people being elitist but sometimes they're forgetting how wide the difference between even mid range PCs are that just a teeny bit of consideration would make support for that device a lot fucking easier. The engine doesn't have an issue rendering at other resolutions as 2880x1620 or 3840x2160 are possible but is loppily locked behind the anti aliasing section and tied with a temporal component with no description of what it's doing other than 'High' or 'Highest'. Not only is that a poor implementation it's giving next to no description back to the user what is actually doing hence why you get stuff like 'This port sucks! The AA is busted as my performance goes down the shitter when using it" where clear and concise descriptions of what they do or big warnings that it comes with a heavy performance cost would clear all that up but that's what happens sadly when you have a game brought over from a fixed platform by a dev with little to no PC experience. If I can write a simple DEVMODE look up application that lists every available system resolution along with supported frequencies and colour depth with my limited ability then there's no reason HexaDrive can't either, or more fundamentally do it a lot easier with DirectX, and have the game render compatible ones from that list. It's crackers.

Type-0 is not a bad port, it's just an exact port from the console version, 1080p/30fps.
PC version even has some imprevements over console, and it's actually cheaper. The problem is, lots of high-end PC gamers have higher resolution than 1080p and already used to 60fps gaming. So it's a good port for some, but not for the others.

Type-0 is not a bad port, it's just an exact port from the console version, 1080p/30fps.
PC version even has some imprevements over console, and it's actually cheaper. The problem is, lots of high-end PC gamers have higher resolution than 1080p and already used to 60fps gaming. So it's a good port for some, but not for the others.

The game straight up didn't launch or crashed on startup for a few people though (don't know if that has been fixed though.)

zkylon

zkylewd
Finished LiS Ep 4, had a feeling about that person, could never put my finger on it.
why was he so chummy with the Vortex Club? Victoria did have a nice turnaround though, at least in my play through. I'm also guessing alternate universe Rachel Amber makes an appearance in episode 5 like the transparent deer and the moon
. Things aren't going to end well with the current trajectory.

as usual it was all a surprise for me

ep 4's pretty great tho

Momentary

Banned
Final Fantasy Type - 0 on PC is superior to any other platform, but it's being called a bad port? How is it a bad port when it's done nothing but upgrade from all the other platforms? It even provides 4k downsampling. Yet it's a bad port when there is absolutely nothing missing from the other versions? The only major thing being that it's 30FPS. Maybe some other issues with not starting up on Windows 10 because of commas.

Come on man. I hate 30 fps as much as the next guy, but what are you going to do with games that have their frame rate tied to game logic? Or whatever it is the tech guys say. It's a PSP game...

I understand the complaining of 30fps, but to outright say it's a bad port is idiotic. Game runs as intended with more bells and whistles which makes it an above average port.

The only thing this game has a problem with is the actual story and gameplay itself. I feel like I'm going to have to push through this one.

Dr Dogg

The problem is that over 60% of reported display resolutions in Steam's hardware stats have resolutions other than 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and with a small amount of work that wouldn't even be an issue. Fine for you isn't fine for everybody and we're not even talking about high end users plucked from thin air we're talking about no support for 1440x900 or 1680x1050 which are 2 quite popular display resolutions. Are they high end in your eyes?

Final Fantasy Type - 0 on PC is superior to any other platform, but it's being called a bad port? How is it a bad port when it's done nothing but upgrade from all the other platforms? It even provides 4k downsampling. Yet it's a bad port when there is absolutely nothing missing from the other versions? The only major thing being that it's 30FPS. Maybe some other issues with not starting up on Windows 10 because of commas.

Come on man. I hate 30 fps as much as the next guy, but what are you going to do with games that have their frame rate tied to game logic? Or whatever it is the tech guys say. It's a PSP game...

I understand the complaining of 30fps, but to outright say it's a bad port is idiotic. Game runs as intended with more bells and whistles which makes it an above average port.

The only thing this game has a problem with is the actual story and gameplay itself. I feel like I'm going to have to push through this one.

The framerate isn't the only problem with this game. It's nearly everything else.

No way am I playing this until there are some hotfixes/fan patches. The reviews on the store page are terrible.

The problem is that over 60% of reported display resolutions in Steam's hardware stats have resolutions other than 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and with a small amount of work that wouldn't even be an issue. Fine for you isn't fine for everybody and we're not even talking about high end users plucked from thin air we're talking about no support for 1440x900 or 1680x1050 which are 2 quite popular display resolutions. Are they high end in your eyes?

Yeah, I kinda missed that.
900p and 1050p resolutions are automatically downscaled to 720p display output. That's actually harsh, indeed.

Lain

Since we're always telling developers that they should get with the times, maybe we should start doing the same to people with those kind of monitors. Time to upgrade to 1080p duders!

Since we're always telling developers that they should get with the times, maybe we should start doing the same to people with those kind of monitors. Time to upgrade to 1080p duders!

I jumped from 720p directly to 1080p.
I even had no idea that there are 900p and 1050p monitors. I think they're not available here in my region.

Edit: holy shit wtf am I seeing
v
v

Momentary

Banned
The framerate isn't the only problem with this game. It's nearly everything else.

No way am I playing this until there are some hotfixes/fan patches. The reviews on the store page are terrible.

Well from what I gather there is the resolution and audio issue and the comma issue for European countries. What else is there?

You can't do that.

Lain

I jumped from 720p directly to 1080p.
I even had no idea that there are 900p and 1050p monitors. I think they're not available here in my region.

Edit: holy shit wtf am I seeing
v
v

I jumped from a CRT with a max resolution of 1600x1200 to a 1920x1080 LCD. If I didn't have a 1080p monitor I'd be quite pissed myself at the locked games.

Dr Dogg

Urgh, you've only got to go look at SPUF to see driveby posts by folks saying 'What game runs shit for you? Get a decent PC then fool!'. It's not a hard thing to implement and evidence shows the engine is clearly capable of doing so. This isn't an issue where the game might have had some fixed timestep hack to get some core systems of the game running on fixed hardware than upping might make everything go chaotic, it's rendering resolution. Their renderer shows support for multiple resolutions at a 16:9 aspect ratio at least so just query a users system resolutions available, that's fucking easy that I can do, and then cross reference that with what your engine can support and then populate a list for the user to select. You know like 99% of games on PC have for nigh on 30+ years. Pointing the finger as the end user isn't the answer.

Lain

Urgh, you've only got to go look at SPUF to see driveby posts by folks saying 'What game runs shit for you? Get a decent PC then fool!'. It's not a hard thing to implement and evidence shows the engine is clearly capable of doing so. This isn't an issue where the game might have had some fixed timestep hack to get some core systems of the game running on fixed hardware than upping might make everything go chaotic, it's rendering resolution. Their renderer shows support for multiple resolutions at a 16:9 aspect ratio at least so just query a users system resolutions available, that's fucking easy that I can do, and then cross reference that with what your engine can support and then populate a list for the user to select. You know like 99% of games on PC have for nigh on 30+ years. Pointing the finger as the end user isn't the answer.

Considering that by google translating their blog post they seemed proud of their downsampling, it feels quite weird that they have the output resolutions locked at 720p and 1080p. It's pretty clear that their game engine is quite capable of scaling resolutions internally well and I wonder if it's just a case of ignorance in regards to what the end users would be using to output the game than anything else.
Since people always speak well of HexaDrive, I wouldn't be surprised if they'll patch the game to rectify at least the resolution lock (the other issues are a given that have to be fixed).

Momentary

Banned
Considering that by google translating their blog post they seemed proud of their downsampling, it feels quite weird that they have the output resolutions locked at 720p and 1080p. It's pretty clear that their game engine is quite capable of scaling resolutions internally well and I wonder if it's just a case of ignorance in regards to what the end users would be using to play the game than anything else.

Maybe... they just forgot to add other resolutions.

Hopefully Bamco is seeing how certain games like this are getting hammered and others like Fairy Fencer F are getting praised. I want a 60FPS experience with Zestiria. Maybe they moved QLOC from DBZ to Zesteria.

Dr Dogg

Considering that by google translating their blog post they seemed proud of their downsampling, it feels quite weird that they have the output resolutions locked at 720p and 1080p. It's pretty clear that their game engine is quite capable of scaling resolutions internally well and I wonder if it's just a case of ignorance in regards to what the end users would be using to play the game than anything else.

As I said in my earlier diatribe it's running on their engine which up until now had only been used on fixed platform hardware and it looks like no consideration has been take for variable configurations that you have with PCs. Like I said on modern consoles you can only output 480i/p, 576i, 720p, 1080i/p signals (that's signals folks not resolutions) as that is what TV standards are at this point in time. From 360 to PS3, WiiU to Xbone they all have that but right now here's my supported resolution list on my PC
5120x2880
3840x2160
2560x1440 (native)
1920x1440
1920x1200
1920x1080
1680x150
1600x1200
1600x1024
1366x768
1360x766
1280x1024
1280x960
1280x800
1280x768
1280x720
1152x864
1024x768
800x600

And if you went and looked at yours they would be different, either slightly or massively. Only way to know that for sure is to make your game looks at what resolutions the user system supports, which as I've also said isn't that hard to do and can be done by various methods. Once you have that list you then would check off the resolutions that are supported by your engine to render and populate a list for the user to select. Having only 1280x720 or 1920x1080 says to me they haven't considered the platform they are delivering this on and still only thinking of fixed platforms like consoles so you miss a big chuck of users with inbetween resolutions that they offer. Less than 4% of reported resolution on the Steam Hardware survey have a display resolution greater than 1920x1080 so this isn't really even an issue about being elitist and wanting crazy downsampling but just offering support for as many people as possible. Metal Gear Rising may had fixed resolutions but it supported every 16:9 resolution from 1920x1080 down unlike Type-0.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As I said in my earlier diatribe it's running on their engine which up until now had only been used on fixed platform hardware and it looks like no consideration has been take for variable configurations that you have with PCs. Like I said on modern consoles you can only output 480i/p, 576i, 720p, 1080i/p signals (that's signals folks not resolutions) as that is what TV standards are at this point in time. From 360 to PS3, WiiU to Xbone they all have that but right now here's my supported resolution list on my PC

1680x150 but no 1680x1050? Aw. :(

Arthea

My native resolution is 1920x1080, so all that fuss about not being other options is so totally alien to me that it's boring even to read, but I get that people want their res supported too. But does it really make a bad port? As I said many times, no, the port is only then bad when it: doesn't run, crash constantly, has shitload of bugs, doesn't run smoothly (if it's locked at 30 fps, it should be 30 fps all the time) and eats save files, that's about it. Now, being superb port and good port is not the same, good port is comfortably playable port and all this PC crowd negativity about anything but perfect, doesn't help to get games on PC, like Atlus games or others that are reluctant to bother. I'll take a cheap good port (as stated before) over no port any day, but most PC folks seem to take only all or nothing.

I've also read some of those negative reviews, ridiculous! we knew right from the start that the game will be 30fps locked, we know that it's still a PSP game, HD version or no, yet people still are complaining about this too.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pid -- MB-478D7A3EC70E1B4D - Taken by shockdude. 1 entrants total.

t1439979890z1.png

Corpekata

Banned
Looks like N++ has been a bit of a bomb sales wise. A shame, I know they had planned a PC port if it sold well. Maybe now it's selling so poorly they'll have to do it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom