• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

to take your mind of FF0, let's talk FFF (ya, I know nobody talks about it but me, so what?)

I hit some kind of wall in FFF, I assume I'm not that far from endgame, but I barely can advance at all, I have no money to upgrade my equipment and buy good items, but I need that in order to go forward, badly, it doesn't help that my characters are in range from 20lvl to 35lvl and if I want to raise some of low lvl characters stats I have to keep them in a main party (for challenges).
I was hoping to get through the game for the first time without grinding at all, but I'm not sure it's possible anymore.

Dr Dogg

My native resolution is 1920x1080, so all that fuss about not being other options is so totally alien to me that it's boring even to read, but I get that people want their res supported too. But does it really make a bad port? As I said many times, no, the port is only then bad when it: doesn't run, crash constantly, has shitload of bugs, doesn't run smoothly (if it's locked at 30 fps, it should be 30 fps all the time) and eats save files, that's about it. Now, being superb port and good port is not the same, good port is comfortably playable port and all this PC crowd negativity about anything but perfect, doesn't help to get games on PC, like Atlus games or others that are reluctant to bother. I'll take a cheap good port (as stated before) over no port any day, but most PC folks seem to take only all or nothing.

I've also read some of those negative reviews, ridiculous! we knew right from the start that the game will be 30fps locked, we know that it's still a PSP game, HD version or no, yet people still are complaining about this too.

I can't comment on how the game runs as I've still got bloody 18 hours to go until it downloads but on the surface it looks like an acceptable job that could have been better. It does seem to have some weird quirks like prerendered cutscenes displaying at 60hz on a 120hz panel when they are encoded at 30fps causing some audio sync issues (seems they're clamping them down to half refresh hence the 60hz cap instead of 30hz). Most of this appears to be inexperience with the platform so let's wait to see what the response is like before throwing stones at HexaDrive. But yet again lots of folks are showing they only have 2 tolerances when it come to discussing quality in a gaming and that's Absolute Rubbish or The GOAT.

The eye patch doesn't help.

And my right eye is my good one too.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't know if "doesn't BSOD your computer" really qualifies a port for the "Not a bad port" participation trophy.

In order to get it playable I had to create a custom profile to disable Gsync, and then cap the refresh to 60 so audio didn't desync Godzilla style. If I'm having to resort to fiddling with settings outside the game, you're entering bad port territory.

Is it Saints Row 2 tier? No. But it's probably among the worst JRPG ports. In fact, I'm struggling to think of worse JRPG ports that don't have the name Final Fantasy in them too. They're getting outdone by the likes of Idea Factory.

Uzzy

Seriously, you'd think they'd at least do some sort of analysis or something to determine whether the costs (in time and resources) for porting games to PC would be offset by the projected profits. All my research shows that fully-featured PC ports take only 0.38 manhours (or 23 manminutes) of labor and the only resource needed is a heart that believes, so I don't know what they're doing over there.

My research suggests the same. PC development is just pushing a button and you get a great port with unlocked frame rates and resolution and no bugs.

Stepping back from the absurd a moment, we can see for ourselves that niche Japanese games can be great successes on the PC, like last years Valkyria Chronicles. Which was published by Sega, who own Atlus. You can also see multiple JRPG's selling well on PC, not just the big ones like Final Fantasy either. So yes, Atlus are just leaving money on the table.

Arthea

I can't comment on how the game runs as I've still got bloody 18 hours to go until it downloads but on the surface it looks like an acceptable job that could have been better. It does seem to have some weird quirks like prerendered cutscenes displaying at 60hz on a 120hz panel when they are encoded at 30fps causing some audio sync issues (seems they're clamping them down to half refresh hence the 60hz cap instead of 30hz). Most of this appears to be inexperience with the platform so let's wait to see what the response is like before throwing stones at HexaDrive. But yet again lots of folks are showing they only have 2 tolerances when it come to discussing quality in a gaming and that's Absolute Rubbish or The GOAT.

18 hours! can I pity you again? You won't be offended or anything?

audiosync problem seems like oversight, maybe they still can fix it, at least I hope so.

too true

I don't know if "doesn't BSOD your computer" really qualifies a port for the "Not a bad port" participation trophy.

In order to get it playable I had to create a custom profile to disable Gsync, and then cap the refresh to 60 so audio didn't desync Godzilla style. If I'm having to resort to fiddling with settings outside the game, you're entering bad port territory.

Is it Saints Row 2 tier? No. But it's probably among the worst JRPG ports. In fact, I'm struggling to think of worse JRPG ports that don't have the name Final Fantasy in them too. They're getting outdone by the likes of Idea Factory.

let's be fair, IF games are low budget, they are a lot less taxing, animation heavy or complex in graphics department, it's easier to make a good port of a game that's not demanding in the first place.
But I won't argue, maybe FF0 port really is bad, I'm still stuck with FFF, so I wouldn't know, but many negative reviews I read mention no problems whatsoever and is whining about res and 30 fps and low quality of textures, what we knew from the very beginning.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I am now no longer 33.

I am 33.1.

Patch notes required for judgement.

dude

pkg.png

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/bbpj/index.html

kE2KcaG.png

cancel everything

Such a wonderful sight. I can play it while I watch games idle for cards.

Looks like N++ has been a bit of a bomb sales wise. A shame, I know they had planned a PC port if it sold well. Maybe now it's selling so poorly they'll have to do it anyway.
Where'd you see that?

I ended up not grabbing it because the plus discount ended up being a pre-order bonus instead of the normal week long deal like every other year. Missed it!

Caerith

My research suggests the same. PC development is just pushing a button and you get a great port with unlocked frame rates and resolution and no bugs.

Stepping back from the absurd a moment, we can see for ourselves that niche Japanese games can be great successes on the PC, like last years Valkyria Chronicles. Which was published by Sega, who own Atlus. You can also see multiple JRPG's selling well on PC, not just the big ones like Final Fantasy either. So yes, Atlus are just leaving money on the table.

How great are these successes, though? I mean, Sega released Valkyria Chronicles on Steam in November and then cut 300 jobs and closed their San Francisco office two months later, so I'm not so sure Operation: Free Money lives up to its name.

Dr Dogg

18 hours! can I pity you again? You won't be offended or anything?

audiosync problem seems like oversight, maybe they still can fix it, at least I hope so.

too true

One day I will experience average speed broadband let alone Super Fast Broadband sadly today is not one of those days.

I am now no longer 33.

I am 33.1.

Well not to be pedantic (but I'm going to be pedantic) you're technically 33.00273972602739726 years old. 33.1 would be 36 and a half days after your birthday. And nobody likes a pedant ever.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Alum -- MB-2B067A704930CD5F - Taken by texhnolyze
StartBolita -- MB-77CE9835988CDEF7 - Taken by Eila
Viktor -- MB-3D57855E7572CC4B - Taken by dot
Atonement: Scourge of Time -- MB-9E40077E9F3B7F43 - Taken by Purkake4
Abyss Raiders: Uncharted -- MB-A70E97B57E39EB70 - Taken by fuzzy123

See No Evil -- MB-9376CC92C859BAED - Taken by rainking187

fertygo

I'll never using Nuveem anymore, so easy to forget you use an VPN/Proxy

Paypal game me a limit for a sec, I scared shitless my fund is RIP.. thanks god its resolved.

but lesson learned

Tizoc

Will have FF0 download later today, I left home this morning and forgot to have it dl o I can play it when I get back from work :V

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xheRJRF.gif
Damnation -- MB-FF6E13CA2D3C3DEE - Taken by Man Puncher

Eila

I was enjoying ASM until I lost my save. It's one of those games that don't have steamcloud and don't have the saves in the steamapps folder.

Eila

Don't the vast majority of games not have saves in the Steamapps folder?

I didn't lose that many saves, must be because of steamcloud.
Anyway, false alarm, just booted ASM and it had all my saves. Must have been other RPGmaker game I was talking about.

I remember pestering Nich Maragos, an old EGM staffer that became one of Atlus USA's localisers, through 1up.com's old forums about PC ports of the PS2-era MegaTen games and received a better answer.

Atlus USA basically take what the Japanese parent company outputs and that's about the long and short of it. If Atlus R&D1 isn't making a PC port, it isn't happening. Maybe now that Sega owns Atlus and they've warmed up to PC gaming, they'll back port some of Atlus' catalogue to PC. We've gotten games like Jet Set Radio and Valkyria Chronicles. Who knows.

I don't fucking care what the resolution would be or what the framerate would be locked to, if I could play Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 on PC again, that would be fuck balls amazing. Also probably never gonna happen.

Dr Dogg

Last time I tried I know Nocturne was a bit funky on PCSX2 (well my PAL copy didn't render shadows correctly) but Persona 3 and 4 pretty much are better on PCSX2 than any other platform. Widescreen support and UI aspect ratio correction is easy peasy and although you miss out on Golden's extra content you get OG Chie and OG Chie is Best Chie.

Huh, uh? How did Hero Prinny get banned?

Guessing thread whining

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175826765&postcount=99

But you know dood's not been erased from existence you could always ask them on Steam on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom