• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna have to reinstall Steam I think to fix my network issues

Don't mind uninstalling the games with it, but just wanna make sure that my Dota profile is on the cloud. Is that the case?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gonna have to reinstall Steam I think to fix my network issues

Don't mind uninstalling the games with it, but just wanna make sure that my Dota profile is on the cloud. Is that the case?

If you're going to erase the entire folder and reinstall, move the SteamApps and userdata folders out of the way first and put them back afterwards.

If you're going to erase the entire folder and reinstall, move the SteamApps and userdata folders out of the way first and put them back afterwards.

Cheers

Moving everything to HDD first in some desperate attempt to fix it since my download page shows that my SSD write speed is all over the place, and its become bloated anyway

edit: didn't work :(

GeForce 660 2gb.

8gb ram.

Can I run Arkham Knight, SteamGAF?

Can I run Arkham Knight.
You know who to ask...
2u8nWIL.png
Not that it means much since whether Arkham Knight runs acceptably can be pretty random. My 980m and 32GB RAM just crashed to desktop when trying to start a new game.

This was actually one of my major issues with my Civ V playthroughs. No matter which way I play it, I'll eventually be hated by (near) all the Civs by the end of the imperial era/start of the modern era, even if my military expansion was weak because my focuses were winning in ways other than domination.

I still haven't won in any way other than time running out or domination.

When I first started playing Civ V that was always my goal, small peaceful focused empires, but the A.I. just wears you down the longer you play. You know what it will do, how it will behave, eventually you start to preemptively stop its bullshit and suddenly you've warmongered for a few thousand years and control two thirds of the world.

"All I wanted to do was build the great fucking library Attila"

Dr Dogg

At the rate of bannings soon enough this thread will only be populated by lashbot lol

lashbot: Morning ModBot.
ModBot: Moring lashbot.
LB: How are you today?
MB: Not too bad thanks and yourself?
LB: Ah you know how it goes. How are the wife and little ModBot?
MB: Oh fine, just fine.
LB: So...
MB: So...
LB: You want to hear some news?
MB: Great! Here's a giveaway from someone banned yesterday.

Maniac

Banned
My research suggests the same. PC development is just pushing a button and you get a great port with unlocked frame rates and resolution and no bugs.

Stepping back from the absurd a moment, we can see for ourselves that niche Japanese games can be great successes on the PC, like last years Valkyria Chronicles. Which was published by Sega, who own Atlus. You can also see multiple JRPG's selling well on PC, not just the big ones like Final Fantasy either. So yes, Atlus are just leaving money on the table.
With a modern engine that is more or less the case. But old, 2D sprite games coming from a handheld? Yeah, that's a bit of a pain in the arse. ;o

Hopefully it'll be fixed up within a week or two though.

Hopefully.

Chariot

Maniac

Banned
lashbot: Morning ModBot.
ModBot: Moring lashbot.
LB: How are you today?
MB: Not too bad thanks and yourself?
LB: Ah you know how it goes. How are the wife and little ModBot?
MB: Oh fine, just fine.
LB: So...
MB: So...
LB: You want to hear some news?
MB: Great! Here's a giveaway from someone banned yesterday.

Don't forget about AWB0t!

Arthea

I've checked Meridian4 sale yesterday only to realise that I have all their games, not sure for what reason, I don't even like their games, at least not ones I tried.

derExperte

The 1080p defense force always cracks me up, are they a bit handicapped in the head? Like let's say I own a 1440p display (I don't yet) and it's not a game I'm completely sold on. Totally reasonable I'd then pass just because of that, look at how many games are out there, this is a buyers/players market and if you want to compete you gotta step up your game. Never been easier to skip any entertainment product without the feeling of missing anything, too much other shit to watch/play/read/listen. And calling those games out is the only reasonable thing to do because it will create awareness in the studios doing the port which very often is the sole issue as already mentioned. Granted, sometimes there are reasons beyond anyone's control but if a studio communicates that well enough in advance the backlash is usually limited.

I've checked Meridian4 sale yesterday only to realise that I have all their games, not sure for what reason, I don't even like their games, at least not ones I tried.

I scrolled through the pack's list and wondered how a publisher can survive with such an overall subpar assortment of games. I own a few but would play none.

Maniac

Banned
Anyway... ARK: Survival Evolved is pretty fun. It's an unoptimised mess which, in the light of these past two-three years of super-polished incredibly-functional-really-a-beta alpha versions is... Infuriating and really refreshing.

Anyway, the character creator is pretty fun, and I made a T-Rex person thing.

His name is... The Human T-Rex, buuuuut his nickname is Jawmuncher.

Sorry about the 'eh' quality, couldn't be arsed grabbing the high-res versions, and imgur slightly beat them up aswell.

derExperte

Anyway... ARK: Survival Evolved is pretty fun. It's an unoptimised mess which, in the light of these past two-three years of super-polished incredibly-functional-really-a-beta alpha versions is... Infuriating and really refreshing.

Robert Z'Dar lives on.

I don't have a clue what's going on

Reinstalled. Didn't pull Dota in immediately, needed to redownload at least part of it. Was downloading at a solid 2.5MB/s (used to be stuck at like 250kbps), then just tanked back to the old speed.

Shut down and restarted PC, got a solid 3.0MB/s for a couple of minutes. Gonna try downloading some stuff to see if it stays consistent. The store is loading in an instant, and that goes to shit when the connection does.

edit: allocating disk space seems to take an age on HDD

Arthea

That $1 tier is opposite of Thrills, not even chilly enough

overall a bundle isn't bad tho, only I assume most already have those games, I have all.

I don't have a clue what's going on

Reinstalled. Didn't pull Dota in immediately, needed to redownload at least part of it. Was downloading at a solid 2.5MB/s (used to be stuck at like 250kbps), then just tanked back to the old speed.

Shut down and restarted PC, got a solid 3.0MB/s for a couple of minutes. Gonna try downloading some stuff to see if it stays consistent. The store is loading in an instant, and that goes to shit when the connection does.

edit: allocating disk space seems to take an age on HDD

allocating disk space always was longish process for some reason.

derExperte

Where'd you see that?

I ended up not grabbing it because the plus discount ended up being a pre-order bonus instead of the normal week long deal like every other year. Missed it!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175815216&postcount=819

Not the first or last indie dev who botches the marketing aspect, I fear Volume will suffer the same fate. As I mentioned above this game market is maybe the harshest it's ever been and if you fuck one thing up that's it. And if you don't you'll probably still fail without some luck and excellent timing, even newgen consoles with their limited libraries have reached the point where only being on there isn't enough anymore.

Jawmuncher

Sorry about the 'eh' quality, couldn't be arsed grabbing the high-res versions, and imgur slightly beat them up aswell.
The future evolution of man

I still don't get what exactly we're missing. I guess just the fact the BB hasn't actually been evil yet in any of his games.
But I dunno if that counts as a conclusion.

Arthea

The 1080p defense force always cracks me up, are they a bit handicapped in the head? Like let's say I own a 1440p display (I don't yet) and it's not a game I'm completely sold on. Totally reasonable I'd then pass just because of that, look at how many games are out there, this is a buyers/players market and if you want to compete you gotta step up your game. Never been easier to skip any entertainment product without the feeling of missing anything, too much other shit to watch/play/read/listen. And calling those games out is the only reasonable thing to do because it will create awareness in the studios doing the port which very often is the sole issue as already mentioned. Granted, sometimes there are reasons beyond anyone's control but if a studio communicates that well enough in advance the backlash is usually limited.

Maybe that logic works for you, certainly not for me, I would rather have a game I want to play at any res (well almost any) than not at all also I don't think that all games are replaceable by others.
Letting know what you want and feeling entitled are two different matters.
IDK what is FF0 situation with resolutions and why it was limited to two, but I wouldn't assume some malignant intentions of devs right away.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175815216&postcount=819

Not the first or last indie dev who botches the marketing aspect, I fear Volume will suffer the same fate. As I mentioned above this game market is maybe the harshest it's ever been and if you fuck one thing up that's it. And if you don't you'll probably still fail without some luck and excellent timing, even newgen consoles with their limited libraries have reached the point where only being on there isn't enough anymore.

Begging the fans to do their press coverage for them... haven't seen that in a while.

Yes, the gaming market is a very harsh place these days.

Uzzy

How great are these successes, though? I mean, Sega released Valkyria Chronicles on Steam in November and then cut 300 jobs and closed their San Francisco office two months later, so I'm not so sure Operation: Free Money lives up to its name.

If I remember right, those job losses were part of a refocus away from console games towards PC and mobile. Which makes sense for Sega, given that they're one of the bigger PC publishers around.

Tizoc

If I remember right, those job losses were part of a refocus away from console games towards PC and mobile. Which makes sense for Sega, given that they're one of the bigger PC publishers around.

Honestly I still think SEGA will make console games, just not that frequently.

Speaking of which, has VC1 reached 500K sales yet?

AHA-Lambda

Volume done, good game, little repetitive towards the end though; 100 levels is a lot =/
It's a good bite size stealth game, but don't go in expecting a heavy narrative focus like TWA.

The next game to play is Zombi :)
*sigh*
My first UPlay client game , I am unclean :(

ExoSoul

Banned
It's the only one in the $1 tier I really didn't care for and just gave away in a lightning raffle.

Tell us about it. What makes it good, what'd you enjoy about it? Is the music perfect?
Plenty being given away, it's been bundled many times before and the last one above hasn't been taken yet. It's not really indicative of quality, just I don't hang on to keys. Key comes in, key goes out!

Alright

*clears throat*

Beatbuddy isn't a true platformer as you just float around making your way through the level, there's some enemies and some stage hazards but the real difficulty comes from collecting all the gems in the level otherwise the levels are very straightforward with some light puzzles now and then and only one medium puzzle (hard by comparison) in the later stages.

The plot is ok, not great but not bad, it does enough to set the characters and the world which as you can guess revolve around the theme of music.

And the music, ohhh the music. The BGM isn't just background, they deconstructed the tracks to their elements and atributed each to a hazard or enemy leaving you with a always present backbone and those elements come in when the enemy/hazard is on the screen, if you move with rhythm you'll add a beat and tempo to the music and in some situations (guaranteed at last 1 per level) you have the music going at full swing which makes that section of the level feel that much special.

And the musics themselves are great, there's only one that I can see not being to everyone's taste (the one by Austin Wintory) but still, giv it a go, the game is fairly short and you have nothing to lose, a must-have (and more importantly must-play) for any music lover.

No links because:
1 - the tracks don't play out in the same way as in the game
2 - I want each level to be a surprise, part of how the game plays out is the sense of discovery when you find a new element of the song (basically - no spoilers)

Arthea

if you were to on steam even being a game or not would you get account banned?

also would you if?

were to what?

I have headache after reading this post, thanks I guess

edited: also you should check Underwater adventure I posted about earlier

Not sure if I should get $1 tier for Neverending Nights I heard on this thread that it is bad and people should feel bad if they play it. Corey Frost said so and I believe others did as well..

So now I am to be scared.
you play Godus and Dragon the game, I don't see how you could be scared by anything

Tenrius

I gotta say, The Charnel House Trilogy looks more like a teaser for whatever they are releasing next year than a finished game, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Will do a more detailed write-up later. In the meantime, did anyone else play it (I know at least Turfster did, at least I read his Steam review and it was a huge factor in purchasing the game)? What do you guys make of the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom