• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hands on Deck -- MB-7541083C3FC4B25E - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
Sudeki -- MB-71CE69917F6E6BB3 - Taken by fspm. 5 entrants total.
A Story About My Uncle -- MB-A3085837DFC2DF96 - Taken by TheAutomator. 3 entrants total.
Immune -- MB-B1190A14032817A3 - Taken by Hektor. 2 entrants total.
Godus -- MB-DE77EAE10D371662 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 1 entrants total.
New Star Soccer 5 -- MB-45874612CEEA2CAB - Taken by SSPssp. 2 entrants total.

t1440084955z1.png

A Story about my uncle can be a bit tricky but it's enjoyable overall.
Hands on Deck reminds me of Overboard, a nice little old-ish game.
Sudeki is pretty fun.
New Star Soccer 5 is also pretty fun.
Godus is Godus.

Pachimari

If I understood correctly, if I buy a piece of DLC in a free-to-play game like Dota 2, will the game stay in my library even after deleting it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well it's already the 20th, which means it's time to start soliciting recommendations for next month's thread. Here are a few games coming out that might be interesting:
  • Mad Max
  • Nobunaga's Ambition
  • Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 4
  • NBA 2k16
  • Might & Magic Heroes VII
  • oh and some kinda Gear game... Phantom something or other...
If you'd like to do a recommendation for next month's OP, simply send me a PM with the game you're writing about and a paragraph or two on what the game is about and why we should be interested in it. You can write about any upcoming game on Steam as long as it has a release date in September.

You can also send me recommendations for games released this month that weren't included in this month's OP for our next "You May Have Missed" section.

Well it's already the 20th, which means it's time to start soliciting recommendations for next month's thread. Here are a few games coming out that might be interesting:
  • Mad Max
  • Nobunaga's Ambition
  • NBA 2k16
If you'd like to do a recommendation for next month's OP, simply send me a PM with the game you're writing about and a paragraph or two on what the game is about and why we should be interested in it. You can write about any upcoming game on Steam as long as it has a release date in September.

You can also send me recommendations for games released this month that weren't included in this month's OP for our next "You May Have Missed" section.

Phantom Gear: The Solid Metal

Xanathus

• Mad Max
  • Nobunaga's Ambition
  • NBA 2k16

Gears of War is coming out next month?!?

i dunno how i feel about +1-ing. I understand being a collector of games but when i see someone owning 7 Korean versions of a soccer management game i'm not sure that it's something i can support. I suppose if it isn't harming anyone else then it's kinda okay.

Wonder if there's some sort of console version of this. I guess that the lack of consistent backwards compatibility hampers this stuff for digital collectors. i also wonder if it's partly due to Valve offering badges for collectors that this epeen type of behavior is more pervasive wrt steam collectors.

i dunno how i feel about +1-ing. I understand being a collector of games but when i see someone owning 7 Korean versions of a soccer management game i'm not sure that it's something i can support. I suppose if it isn't harming anyone else then it's kinda okay.

Wonder if there's some sort of console version of this. I guess that the lack of consistent backwards compatibility hampers this stuff for digital collectors. i also wonder if it's partly due to Valve offering badges for collectors that this epeen type of behavior is more pervasive wrt steam collectors.

I'm all for collecting Steam games, but I wouldn't start collecting versions of games from other regions, that just seems like a slippery slope to go down.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wonder if there's some sort of console version of this.

There is. This is part of my collection that's spilled over into my son's bedroom and is only about 1/4 of my physical games:

Also this picture was taken almost a year ago and there are quite a few more titles on that shelf now.

There is. This is part of my collection that's spilled over into my son's bedroom and is only about 1/4 of my physical games:

Also this picture was taken almost a year ago and there are quite a few more titles on that shelf now.
Well i was really referring to whether this behavior is also present in console gamers but regarding their digital collections. I'm assuming it's less prominent because digital region locking on consoles is a bit more aggressive and difficult to overcome than it is on steam.

I totally get a physical collection though. Having the box, the manual, the occasional pack-in poster, the sweet cartridge art, etc. I totally respect a physical collection and can relate as i'm an avid collector of blu rays myself for similar reasons.

jshackles

Well i was really referring to whether this behavior is also present in console gamers but regarding their digital collections. I'm assuming it's less prominent because digital region locking on consoles is a bit more aggressive and difficult to overcome than it is on steam.

I totally get a physical collection though. Having the box, the manual, the occasional pack-in poster, the sweet cartridge art, etc. I totally respect a physical collection and can relate as i'm an avid collector of blu rays myself for similar reasons.

Ah, gotcha. Well I think in some ways you may be right - the lack of total backwards compatibility on consoles means I won't be playing digital copies of my Atari 2600 games on the PS4 any time soon. That sounds a bit far fetched until you think about games like the original King's Quest or Zork being available digitally on GOG and perfectly playable in Windows 10.

It's a shame really, especially since each new console iteration that supports a certain level of backwards compatibility wants you to re-purchase any games you want to play, thus further reducing any solidarity in building a "digital library". Like, you can own Super Mario 64 digitally on the Wii, but if you want to play it on the Wii U you have to buy it again. Nintendo is particularly bad about this since their games are also linked to your console, meaning if your hardware goes tits up, in most cases you'd need to purchase the game again if you wanted to play it.

I can't imagine Steam being nearly as popular if you had to re-purchase games every time you bought a new PC.

Although I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll get PS1 classics on the PS4.

Sch1sm

It's probably a more digital story for console owners, with Games with Gold and PS+. That's the case with me, at least. Most extras I have are from those services.

Some are voluntarily, like I rebought classic n64 titles on my Wii, or I bought current gen copies of a game. There have been times I forgot I had a particular title. This was ages ago, however, since I keep an inventory check in excel sheets on Google Drive for easy checks in store.

Uzzy

• Mad Max
  • Nobunaga's Ambition
  • NBA 2k16

I'll do a recommendation for Act of Aggression. There's also Soma, Armikrog and Blood Bowl 2 coming next month that might interest some of you.

Like, you can own Super Mario 64 digitally on the Wii, but if you want to play it on the Wii U you have to buy it again. Nintendo is particularly bad about this since their games are also linked to your console, meaning if your hardware goes tits up, in most cases you'd need to purchase the game again if you wanted to play it.
You can transfer your Wii games to your Wii U and play them via the virtual Wii on the Wii U for free. You won't be able to use them on the Wii again so it's not ideal but it's still possible to technically play Super Mario 64 on the Wii U without paying more money to do so.

Games haven't been linked to hardware for a long time. Your purchases are now tied to your NNID but it isn't possible to transfer this between a new console without Nintendo's help, unless both consoles are functioning. Again, this is still nowhere near as good as the options on other formats, like Steam, but it's still worth nothing that games aren't linked to hardware.

Dr Dogg

• Mad Max
  • Nobunaga's Ambition
  • NBA 2k16

Did you pick up this post of mine and the few other peeps who said they'd do a recommendation for a specific game?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=175605225&postcount=9615

Phantom Gear: The Solid Metal

Bagysed!

Twice!!!

LuffyZoro

ModBot said:
Instructions for LuffyZoro:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (LuffyZoro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

No Time To Explain Remastered -- MB-4C3B9897DCDD6042 - Taken by Red Hood. 13 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Endless Space Emperor Edition -- MB-AD2D4AA4C6659D10 - Taken by Loptous. 14 entrants total.

t1440098695z1.png

Extra codes lying around

Benedict

These games are quite good.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Beatbuddy Tale of the Guardians -- MB-509B37BA2B2242C7
Crimsonland -- MB-7723AB84B77882FB - Taken by C4rter. 1 entrants total.

t1440089035z1.png

Turfster

Daily CAPY Bundle 70% off (Critter Crunch, STFU, Superbrothers, M&M:Clash)
Weekend
  • Zombie Army Trilogy 66% off
  • PAYDAY 2 75% off FREE WEEKEND
  • xx% off

Uzzy

Should be home playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong right now. But instead I'm stuck in traffic looking at the back of cars.

Great stuff.

Turfster

Man what is it with the third weekend deal always being so much later since the sale?
This shit is getting ridiculous.

Super Win The Game is 75% off for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom