• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Just a quick announcement, the EU4 multiplayer sessions are starting up again soon, and new players (Looking at you Chariot) are welcome! So if you want to engage in some multiplayer map painting followed by massive levels of backstabbing, join in here.

I like to peak into the EU threads from time to time and read about the trials and tribulations. Always buy Paradox games to support them but I just don't have the time to really dig in.

Caerith

So, I've been playing Fallout Shelter lately and I see that the devs who made it are making a PC game set in the Fallout universe. *Shelter has a lot going for it-- it's clear the devs are fans of Fallout, and their artists are pretty talented at getting it to match the Vault Boy aesthetic, so I'm confident their eventual PC game will at least look like a Fallout.

Still, I'm skeptical about whether they can make a proper game. *Shelter may look alright, but it plays really poorly. Playtesting is a crucial part of game development, or otherwise you end up with systems that nobody likes. If these guys want to make it in game development, they're going to have to step back and actually play some games to understand what's fun and what's just frustrating.

I'm also a bit wary about their understanding of Fallout lore. I mean, I'll let it slide that some raiders with swords can break down a Vault door-- wouldn't be much of a game without any risk-- but when raiders aren't threatening enough they suddenly send deathclaws? It feels like they wanted to up the risk, and rather than take a creative approach they just shoehorned in something from the lore. There's also the matter of the Overseer-- ie, the player. Dwellers are constantly praising you, like some post-apocalyptic Mary Sue. I dunno, it just feels like bad fanfiction.

I guess we'll see how the game turns out. I know Obsidian's got a lot on their plate so it'd be nice to see Fallout continue even when they're busy, and I hope this team can pull it off.

Chariot

Just a quick announcement, the EU4 multiplayer sessions are starting up again soon, and new players (Looking at you Chariot) are welcome! So if you want to engage in some multiplayer map painting followed by massive levels of backstabbing, join in here.
I would gladly, but recently I have little time and I don't know if my timezone is really good for that.

Sober

I guess we'll see how the game turns out. I know Obsidian's got a lot on their plate so it'd be nice to see Fallout continue even when they're busy, and I hope this team can pull it off.
Bethesda owns Fallout now so even if Obsidian works on it, even if the people who worked on FO1 and 2, write stuff, Bethesda has to greenlight stuff. They've rejected stuff from Obsidian that they wanted to put in New Vegas for example. Like big world stuff.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367710/

CM4XBIzUEAElCCu.png

lol

Caerith

Maaaaybe, but counter examples would be Vaults 11 and 34, where the Overseer wasn't a Mary Sue.

Bethesda owns Fallout now so even if Obsidian works on it, even if the people who worked on FO1 and 2, write stuff, Bethesda has to greenlight stuff. They've rejected stuff from Obsidian that they wanted to put in New Vegas for example. Like big world stuff.

No kidding? Huh. I should buy the Harry Potter rights so my Hermione/Cho Chang fanfic becomes canon.

So... they have their head in the clouds?

Hinomura

ss_04572edc979601b038756f87861c6f8c6c337806.600x338.jpg

About Darkest Dungeon,

I put in too little time to side to the faction "it was too easy, now it's okay" or to the "it's impossible to play" one.

I liked a lot the gameplay, but it has that feel of "if your party isn't getting up well, you have to restart from scratch" - but it's probably too early for me to judge. I can only judge the excellent presentation and atmosphere.

I hope the suggestion made by a user about the Jim Sterling report (implement two difficulty levels) will be considered by the devs, so everyone'll be happy.

33% discount ends in about 23 hours!
EDIT: now it's about 20 hours before discount ends.

Quoting myself because the devs have listened!

Now it's possible to disable corpses and heart attack, two of the most feared recent updates in the game, in the option menu once started a campaign. I'm trying to explain a bit:

- CORPSES -
Once you kill an enemy (most of enemy types) it doesn't disappear, but leaves a corpse on the ground. So you have to destroy the corpse to make the enemies past it to get closer. Since your party heroes have attacks which work in determined enemy positions, having to destroy the enemy pratically twice means that you can't hit some enemies (for example) until then, exposing your frail party to more turns. Now you can disable this feature, making the enemies disappear once killed.

- HEART ATTACK -
Most of the things that can happen in the dungeons, even simply walking, with random (???) timing, will increase heroes insanity. While a hero is insane can skip turns, hurt other heroes and more, that's already quite a punishment. But, in recent updates devs added killing over killing, that's if a hero goes over the insanity, will get an heart attack and die instantly. Disable this and you'll be worried less.

Disabling these two features makes the game more forgiving and less cynical.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I like to peak into the EU threads from time to time and read about the trials and tribulations. Always buy Paradox games to support them but I just don't have the time to really dig in.

trials and tribulations?

EDIT: now it's about 20 hours.

Now it's possible to disable corpses and heart attack, two of the most feared recent updates in the game, in the option menu once started a campaign. I'm trying to explain a bit:

- CORPSES -
Once you kill an enemy (most of enemy types) it doesn't disappear, but leaves a corpse on the ground. So you have to destroy the corpse to make the enemies past it to get closer. Since your party heroes have attacks which work in determined enemy positions, having to destroy the enemy pratically twice means that you can't hit some enemies (for example) until then, exposing your frail party to more turns. Now you can disable this feature, making the enemies disappear once killed.

- HEART ATTACK -
Most of the things that can happen in the dungeons, even simply walking, with random (???) timing, will increase heroes insanity. While a hero is insane can skip turns, hurt other heroes and more, that's already quite a punishment. But, in recent updates devs added killing over killing, that's if a hero goes over the insanity, will get an heart attack and die instantly. Disable this and you'll be worried less.

I hate disabling features but turning off heart attacks I might have to do. Damn infuriating.

Dr Dogg

Why aren't you guys talking about how awesome Zombi is? Surely you all went and bought it right? There's plenty of you banging on about horror games and liking stuff like Condemned and Dark Souls so you'll be like pigs in the proverbial over this.

trials and tribulations?

Well your tag does say an awful lot :p

Then again I don't think the sticky out tongue smiley is probably the best fit right now :(

Turfster

I'm also a bit wary about their understanding of Fallout lore. I mean, I'll let it slide that some raiders with swords can break down a Vault door-- wouldn't be much of a game without any risk-- but when raiders aren't threatening enough they suddenly send deathclaws?
Wait, what?
Is this new?
The only "disasters" I ever saw after launch were fires, radroaches and the same 3 fucking raiders over and over again, and I got a shelter up to 100+ people.

Also, apparently Ubi kiled their key servers with the humble rebundle.

ExoSoul

Banned

- CORPSES -

- HEART ATTACK -

Ohh this comes at the most opportune time.

Chariot

You do know cest is the time zone used in the thread?

Though I can understand how 9 pm to 11 pm might not work.
Oh, Wednesday would work, but Sunday would be bad. We have weekly anime night at that time and I won't miss that for my life. Unless I am dead.

Uzzy

Oh, Wednesday would work, but Sunday would be bad. We have weekly anime night at that time and I won't miss that for my life. Unless I am dead.

That's cool, letting the AI take over your country for a session always works perfectly. Nothing bad has ever happened in the history of EU4 multiplayer.

Caerith

Someone remind me the story about TFYC because all I'm hearing is GG garbage (not even propaganda) about what they think went down and stuff.

Wait, does this make this game GG propaganda then?

TFYC were all "we're going to help women make games please submit your proposal but only if you identify as a woman." Zoe Quinn was all "what about trans?" and TFYC were all "nah" and people were upset but then GG was like "we hate Zoe Quinn let's support TFYC to show people we're not misogynists" and I don't think the girls making this game are necessarily GG supporters but it doesn't really matter.

Wait, what?
Is this new?
The only "disasters" I ever saw after launch were fires, radroaches and the same 3 fucking raiders over and over again, and I got a shelter up to 100+ people.

Since the Android launch at least, yeah. Three deathclaws break down your vault door and try to kill everyone inside. Then, if you're successful in killing them, three more show up a minute later.

Turfster

Since the Android launch at least, yeah. Three deathclaws break down your vault door and try to kill everyone inside. Then, if you're successful in killing them, three more show up a minute later.

Huh. Sounds like they haven't really fixed the broken core of the game, though.

Pardon my ignorance, but I got a new PC build coming up and was wondering how to move a couple of my games to there without losing the save data. Quick Google searches reveal either the use of a program or manually coping a whole folder to an ext. HDD and then putting it back on to the new PC.

So if I only want to move 2 games to my new PC, it's as easy as just copying the whole game's folder under C:\...Steam\SteamApps\common?

Turfster

So if I only want to move 2 games to my new PC, it's as easy as just copying the whole game's folder under C:\...Steam\SteamApps\common?

If the games have steam cloud saving, yes.
(You might have to "download" them again, but Steam should pick up on them.)
Otherwise, you need to use pcgamingwiki/some kind of savegame manager to move your savegames too.

AHA-Lambda

The Zombie Army games aren't so similar to the Sniper Elite main series. In the ZA games you mostly fight hordes of zombies and defend positions (you get access to all the same toys as in the campaign, dynamite, mines, tripwires, etc)
Missions also have bosses which can be pretty entertaining to beat.
It's a coop game though, playing it solo isn't as fun.

There are many different enemy types, some are ranged, some melee, some are similar to the headless kamikazes in Serious Sam, etc.

K, I'll give it a miss then.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
In case anyone here has yet to hop on the Shadowrun: Hong Kong hype train, GMG's current voucher, SAVE23-WITHGM-GAUG15, gives you a 23% discount on the game.

Volimar

- CORPSES -

- HEART ATTACK -

Darkest Dungeon looks really great but one thing kind of bugs me. Why have permadeath if you don't care about your party members? I mean, in Fire Emblem, your people have back stories and friends etc. so you actually care about them, but in Darkest Dungeon everyone is just different levels of expendable...

Still love the art style and gameplay though.

Caerith

Darkest Dungeon looks really great but one thing kind of bugs me. Why have permadeath if you don't care about your party members? I mean, in Fire Emblem, your people have back stories and friends etc. so you actually care about them, but in Darkest Dungeon everyone is just different levels of expendable...

Still love the art style and gameplay though.

Couldn't you say the same about XCOM or Etrian Odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom