• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Probably already been posted, but Steam Spy posted an interesting article today on Steam demographics.

Some interesting notes.

Top 1% of Steam owners own a little over one hundred games each.
Top 20% of users own 90% of games on Steam.
Dota 2 users are essentially useless to the rest of the store.
https://medium.com/steam-spy/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

Interesting read. To be in the top 20% you only need to own four games, and that top 1% (the ones who actually buy anything) is only 1.3M users.

Maniac

Banned
That's a scary amount of hours sinister. Wow.

You should see the hours played for some WoW folks. Back when I quit, which is now... 4? years ago, I knew lots of people with ~20000 hours. Heck most of my raiding guild (best one on our server, bitches!) was over 10k hours.
Is this only the case with Dota 2?

Not quite sure. Might be with TF2 aswell? I don't really know.

Edit: What Kurt said.

Although it does pop up as a +1 once you've spent money on it, though.

Atleast as far as I know ^_~'

S1n1st3r

Banned
That's a scary amount of hours sinister. Wow.

Hey, as a by-product of playing so much (they've been playing since the beta of dota2, when beta keys were invite only and sold for hundreds of dollars) and trading, many of them including my brother have accrued ugly but crazy expensive in game items.

I've gotten quite a few games out of trading their hand-me-down items.

You should see the hours played for some WoW folks. Back when I quit, which is now... 4? years ago, I knew lots of people with ~20000 hours. Heck most of my raiding guild (best one on our server, bitches!) was over 10k hours.

I was just about to say that, that WoW probably still got it beat in terms of gaming addiction.

Arthea

Interesting read. To be in the top 20% you only need to own four games, and that top 1% (the ones who actually buy anything) is only 1.3M users.
That actually explains rather low steam sales for such a huge userbase, I was perplexed by it for a while, now I finally know why.
Basically buying games steam userbase is rather small.

Khronico

i know people who go to my college that have steam and all they play is dota 2, they literally own no game on steam, just dota and they got like 300+ hrs depending on the person. i got one who has like 700 hours or something. It amazes me anyone can play 1 game that much, i envy them in a way, they can save money cause dota is all they need :p

I actually used to be really into DOTA 2 in college and clocked ~190 hours (not including watching streams and learning builds/strats) playing with a group of friends who play it almost exclusively to this day. Once you get over the initial dozens of hours of learning it opens up and you realize just how deep that DOTA hole goes. It's a game that you could spend the rest of your life playing and still have new things to learn, new characters to master, new item builds to try, etc.

There came a point where I realized that I didn't have enough time in my life to play anything else and that's why I quit cold turkey.

They still keep trying to get me back in -_-

Sober

That actually explains rather low steam sales for such a huge userbase, I was perplexed by it for a while, now I finally know why.
Presumably they're also the most obnoxious, complaining about how Steam sales never have good sales anymore or they buy more games and never play them.

I can imagine though a good deal of the top 20 games list that are MP, that is their one game, or they do reach out and buy new games on occasion but don't hoard games like crazy people.

Caerith

It could also explain why there's not as much support for PC as we'd like. I'm curious what the buying games console userbase is, but I'd guess it's bigger since consoles are dedicated platforms.

Twenty-thousand hours? Holy Smokes! That can't neither be healthy nor can a game have so much content?!

Reminds me of this video I watched yesterday MY SICK ONLINE ADDICTION (Final Fantasy XI) - Happy Console Gamer I mean, when I binged on Dark Souls earlier this year, I played about 5-8 hours a day and even then I realized I was slipping into danger territory. Glad I don't get sucked too much.

Salsa

kinda wanna buy Super Win The Game but im disappointed it's a Metroidvania

lookin at it I just wanted a regular progression level platformer

fine I'll hook you up too. but this is the last copy I'm giving out to gaf. PM your steam name and I'll send you a copy later when I make my purchase.

I do have an irl friend that I want to play this with as well.

I was only curious because I wondered what it would cost me to get a copy for Ningen. He loves both co-op and sniping, so gifting him this would be a great fit -- I already own a copy myself (which is why I offered to pay). Really appreciate the sentiment though. :frost will remember that:

But if you just want to give it to him randomly, that's awesome too -- his Steam name is the same as his GAF name: Ningenjanai

Still no impressions from anyone on Nazi Zombie Trilogy for solo play?

My face when I got Zombi from Nuuvem and realised it was a UPlay key :(

I would imagine that it plays a lot like Sniper Elite does solo.
I played through Sniper Elite 3 solo and had a fun time doing it, mostly... so yeah, like that, I guess?

As far as Zombie from Nuuvem being a uPlay key, I know this was discussed in here because I replied to ricochet about how the nuuvem key was probably uPlay only, like the rest of their games (and every other retailer that sells uPlay only copies)... READ THE THREAD PEOPLE. :p

Dr Dogg

It could also explain why there's not as much support for PC as we'd like. I'm curious what the buying games console userbase is, but I'd guess it's bigger since consoles are dedicated platforms.

I know quite a few that only by COD and FIFA year in year out.

Weak.
You're all weak!

You'll crack soon. Just wait until the thread fills up with pics, gifs and videos of various animals being hoisted into the sky, peoples 'homes' being invaded and robbed of all the furniture and some batshit insane twist that Kojima has played up all like a bunch of chumps.

I believe those stats.

My brother and his group of half a dozen college buddies discovered and started playing dota1 around a decade ago in college.

They have among them on average 5000 hours played. With the more prolific ones in the 7-8000 hour range. They literally play nothing else.

Just hang out online after work and chat while playing dota. Its a lifestyle, I tells ya.

That's how I was in college with Team Fortress Classic. I played that game for about 6 or 7 years straight and very little else. I only stopped because the game kinda died out and everyone had moved on, including everyone in my clan.

Arthea

Presumably they're also the most obnoxious, complaining about how Steam sales never have good sales anymore or they buy more games and never play them.

I can imagine though a good deal of the top 20 games list that are MP, that is their one game, or they do reach out and buy new games on occasion but don't hoard games like crazy people.

IDK, I'm not a person that can play one game for thousands hours, maybe I'm unable understand this point of view, but having 4 games, even if you play mostly one, doesn't exactly strike me as enough even for occasional playing. There are people here that finish 100+ games a year, like Knurek, for example, there are many that finish 50+ and most certainly finish at least 10, even those that play lol or doto.
I'm not trying to defend our purchasing habits, guilty as charged, but my point still stands that very low percentage of steam userbase buy games at all. Playing doto and spending money on it is good for valve and steam, but for devs, gaming industry and most importantly Nep Nep? nope, not good.

Ya, it could be that publishers knew about this situation before, unlike me.

It probably helps sales that console folks don't stick to one game as far as I noticed, even if they play mostly MP, as soon as the next best thing appears all move to it, while steam people (or PC in general) can stick with CS for decades, for example.
I complained enough in the past about most multi games on steam being dead on arrival, so there is that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Humble Might & Magic AGAIN RE-bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • HOMM II
  • HOMM IV
  • Might & Magic 6 Pack
  • Might & Magic Heroes Online
  • HOMM VII BETA
TIER 2: BTA
  • HOMM
  • HOMM V + DLC
  • HOMM VI
  • Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
  • Might & Magic Clash of Heroes + DLC
TIER 3: 10$
  • Might & Magic X Legacy + DLC
  • HOMM III HD
  • HOMM VI DLC
  • Might & Magic Duel of Champions Starter Pack

If you bought the previous one, the only difference is the BETA key... which you got too (check your email)
thats such a weird pricing scheme haha

i kind of would like homm3 for old times sake but i think i like my 10 bucks better lol

300? 700?
I don't think you understand how much time people can sink in MOBA.
I'm not even the biggest MOBA player and I have 1000 hours of LoL.
I imagine Zkylon has at least double that.
i think i was at like 3k? i spend more time looking at fanart and watching games and talking about league than playing these days

Maniac

Banned
Yaiba got plenty of mediocre reviews but hey you still had a shitload of shits and giggles. End of the day who do you trust more? The loons in here or someone who gets their games for free?

Ya'll mofokers like AC games and I've even heard someone say positive things about EArts games, so... I trust the people getting free games. :p

Ya'll are fucken craaaaaazy.

How's New Kind of Adventure btw? It looks excellent ;3

AHA-Lambda

I would imagine that it plays a lot like Sniper Elite does solo.
I played through Sniper Elite 3 solo and had a fun time doing it, mostly... so yeah, like that, I guess?

As far as Zombie from Nuuvem being a uPlay key, I know this was discussed in here because I replied to ricochet about how the nuuvem key was probably uPlay only, like the rest of their games (and every other retailer that sells uPlay only copies)... READ THE THREAD PEOPLE. :p

Well, thing is I don't know if it does play the same :/
I enjoyed SE3 though, so I'm curious.

And yeah, I know :(

I'm part of the Steam 1% in that I own over 107 games (600-ish), I've only played roughly 20% of what I own, completed even less than that because I largely only play certain games--Civ V, Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, Civ Beyond Earth. Even out of that list I currently only actively play three. I basically don't buy games anymore.

This year I bought Civ Beyond Earth, Rising Tide, sub to WoW, and bought a few things in Heroes of the Storm so that whole opening paragraph seems fairly apt to me. I'm not a core gamer, a MOBA gamer or an MMO gamer. I used to play TF2, then I started playing Dota 2. I played Dota 2, now I play HotS. I play WoW, not other MMO's.

Yaiba got plenty of mediocre reviews but hey you still had a shitload of shits and giggles. End of the day who do you trust more? The loons in here or someone who gets their games for free?

Neither.

A lot of the loons in here hate on Yaiba too... if that's the metric, there's very few of you I trust the opinions of. :p

Dr Dogg

Ya'll mofokers like AC games and I've even heard someone say positive things about EArts games, so... I trust the people getting free games. :p

Ya'll are fucken craaaaaazy.

How's New Kind of Adventure btw? It looks excellent ;3

Hey AssCreed is just a misunderstood series is all and I'll have you know Dead Space is the most import IP from last gen. Granted it got dragged through the ringer for the third instalment but if Visceral survive then I'm sure the 4th instalment will be glorious!

Given the length of the last generation of consoles, that's still twice as many games as Steam's top 20%. Four times as many if they bought both franchises.

Well to be fair they do trade them in for the next iteration where as pretty much every Steam user is stuck with their purchases like a big old tower of shame.

Well, thing is I don't know if it does play the same :/
I enjoyed SE3 though, so I'm curious.

And yeah, I know :(

The Zombie Army games aren't so similar to the Sniper Elite main series. In the ZA games you mostly fight hordes of zombies and defend positions (you get access to all the same toys as in the campaign, dynamite, mines, tripwires, etc)
Missions also have bosses which can be pretty entertaining to beat.
It's a coop game though, playing it solo isn't as fun.

There are many different enemy types, some are ranged, some melee, some are similar to the headless kamikazes in Serious Sam, etc.

Turfster

You'll crack soon. Just wait until the thread fills up with pics, gifs and videos of various animals being hoisted into the sky, peoples 'homes' being invaded and robbed of all the furniture and some batshit insane twist that Kojima has played up all like a bunch of chumps.

GZ totally cooled me on getting more MGS.
I can wait until it's 10$

mjc

Stupid question, I bought a copy of XCOM Enemy Unknown Complete Edition on Amazon, and it's the disc version. Does it come with a code to use on Steam so I don't have to keep the discs around all the time? Or will it link to my Steam account when I install it? (PC gaming newcomer, sorry for the stupid question!)

Uzzy

23ekPRE.jpg

I bet this guy listens to Slipknot.

Caerith

Well to be fair they do trade them in for the next iteration where as pretty much every Steam user is stuck with their purchases like a big old tower of shame.
True. I'd be curious to see data either way, like actual numbers of how many console owners and how many games they purchase and how many games they trade in.

Hektor

Stupid question, I bought a copy of XCOM Enemy Unknown Complete Edition on Amazon, and it's the disc version. Does it come with a code to use on Steam so I don't have to keep the discs around all the time? Or will it link to my Steam account when I install it? (PC gaming newcomer, sorry for the stupid question!)

It will include a steamkey

Wok

i know people who go to my college that have steam and all they play is dota 2, they literally own no game on steam, just dota and they got like 300+ hrs depending on the person. i got one who has like 700 hours or something. It amazes me anyone can play 1 game that much, i envy them in a way, they can save money cause dota is all they need :p

I must have spent as much on Dota alone as on the rest of my Steam account.

I own 1183 games.

I like too many genres and platforms to ever get into a game like Dota. Hell, it's why I rarely play 4X games any more despite putting hundreds of hours into GalCal 2. Just can't if I want to play other games!

Humble Might & Magic AGAIN RE-bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • HOMM II
  • HOMM IV
  • Might & Magic 6 Pack
  • Might & Magic Heroes Online
  • HOMM VII BETA
TIER 2: BTA
  • HOMM
  • HOMM V + DLC
  • HOMM VI
  • Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
  • Might & Magic Clash of Heroes + DLC
TIER 3: 10$
  • Might & Magic X Legacy + DLC
  • HOMM III HD
  • HOMM VI DLC
  • Might & Magic Duel of Champions Starter Pack

If you bought the previous one, the only difference is the BETA key... which you got too (check your email)

probably going to buy it. Strange, I don't see Might & Magic 7 or 8 on there. I get why 9 isn't on there but 7 and 8 were kinda part of 6 in terms of being a trilogy.

To answer my own question, it appears that 7, 8, and 9 are only available on GoG and are not on steam not Uplay. That is something they should fix

Dr Dogg

GZ totally cooled me on getting more MGS.
I can wait until it's 10$

I bet those Nvidia code will start getting to $20ish at some point and we'll see how strong your resolve is then.

Should do. My copy of XCOM was a retail copy and was Steamworks so you can install it via disc, or download it but either way you'll have to enter the key into Steam.

True. I'd be curious to see data either way, like actual numbers of how many console owners and how many games they purchase and how many games they trade in.

Gamestop and their ilk in other regions probably have a massive amount of analytical data on a per customer basis due to rewards schemes and such that could make for a very interesting study. Sadly it will be used for the forces of darkness to extract every penny out of their wallets.

Wok

To provide more info on how much I have spent on Dota2, these are my top spendings for video games this year so far:
  1. Dota2: 230€
  2. Magic Duels: Origins: 58€
  3. Shenmue III: 54€
  4. Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain: 33€
  5. Eco: 27€
So two F2P games, two Kickstarter games to be released in 2017, and MGSV not released yet.

Dota2 is the only game you play and it might become a money sink.

Dr Dogg

Actually I've probably donated more money to crowdfunding this year than I've spent on properly released and distributed games. Haven't done the sums but going by what I've bought this year and the stupid money I've thrown at nostalgia filled projects I'm pretty confident that's right.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To provide more info on how much I have spent on Dota2, these are my top spendings for video games this year so far: Dota2: 230€

As a point of comparison, I've bought 342 games this year and spent 210€ equivalent (230 local currency)

Turfster

I bet those Nvidia code will start getting to $20ish at some point and we'll see how strong your resolve is then.
Sure thing.
I won't get GZ before... say, summer sale next year with my own money, and only if it's sub 15$.
(This statement null and void if someone gifts it to me, natch)

I should start keeping track of my gaming purchases. It's not enough to hurt me but enough to probably fill me with regret if I actually added it all up.

I do far too many impulse buys. I need to stay away from gambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom