• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Hover Junkers devs tracking their dog by strapping a controller onto it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDOVa82SKNI

n57KnUU.png

cute

Salsa

Idle Master randomly disconnects for me

been working from 8 am till 1am today (no kiddin) for a special ocassion and I just got back home and have no drops and "Idle Maste ris not connected to Steam (sign in)"

:( disappointment

Finished up Resident Evil 6, all the campaigns except Ada, which I'm not sure if I'm going to do or not. It went a little crazy with the boss fights at the end, I'm pretty sure I fought every boss at least 3 or 4 times because you think they're dead but they aren't and they turn into something even more gross than before.

Pretty fun game, played and controlled good, the combat was fun and the story wasn't bad. I liked it overall. For people that played the Ada campaign, is it worth playing?

Whaat?
They're charging full price money for that? They're going head to head against Blizzard's Overwatch, right? Madness.

How much do you want to bet that Take 2 wants the retail release and f2p money. Buying Battleborn at release will be like the equivalent of buying the 40-60$ f2p starter pack with starter characters, currency and what have you.

Knurek

Hmm, anyone has an idea why my monitor doesn't pick resolution changes?

Hadn't had any problems with my old panel, connected through DVI.
The new one is connected with HDMI, and sometimes (but not always!) after a resolution change (or even going exclusive fullscreen) I'm getting a black screen. Turning the monitor off and on again fixes that.

For the life of me, I can't fathom why the monitor would respond that way...

Pretty fun game, played and controlled good, the combat was fun and the story wasn't bad. I liked it overall. For people that played the Ada campaign, is it worth playing?
It's the best campaign. Pretty bad for co-op though, but IIRC co-op was originally patched in post-(console)launch and it shows. Your buddy can't do anything except shooting (no opening doors, interacting with objects etc).

Definitely worth playing at least. But call dibs on Ada if you're doing co-op.

It's the best campaign. Pretty bad for co-op though, but IIRC co-op was originally patched in post-(console)launch and it shows. Your buddy can't do anything except shooting (no opening doors, interacting with objects etc).

Definitely worth playing at least. But call dibs on Ada if you're doing co-op.

Cool, i'll play it tomorrow then, I'm doing it solo too.

Valve should really ban such people, at least from the community features if they write things like:

@ Arcos
no matter what they do ? they did what exactly ? how about to shut the fuck up you peace of shit and top shilling and pull out their dick out of you mouth

Didn't Viridi was anything other than a character from the best handheld game ever made
Kid Icarus for the 3ds

Wish Microsoft would put Viva Pinata out on steam, and randomly decide to port the second game as well :3

Yeah, and people wonder why they are hesitant to respond to the community. They definitely screwed up the PC launch of B AK, but those kinds of comments don't help anyone.
Can't believe that I read "added 'high' value to textures" in the patch note, seriously what the fuck?

And hating on Mad Max veggie? WTF?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Didn't Viridi was anything other than a character from the best handheld game ever made
Kid Icarus for the 3ds

Wish Microsoft would put Viva Pinata out on steam, and randomly decide to port the second game as well :3

Who doesn't wish Viva piñata was on steam, have no disc reader so my old disc copy has been collecting dust for too long.

So this pretty much mean don't expect them to put pressure on Sega Japan or Atlus Japan with PC talk.

Pachimari

On a personal note: went to the doctor's today for a "routine" checkup and found out I need emergency surgery which they have scheduled for the end of next week :(
Good luck sir!

No gaming for me this weekend. I'm on vacation in Sweden woohoo! I'm currently at the hotel.

In just a month I'm going to Mallorca, Spain for the first time as well! And Asia next year nice.

So that a bigger australian tax over the "australian tax" which most publishers put on most games?

For "AAA" I doubt it. The Australian Tax exists to match prices to local retail, a highly regulated and stupidly expensive market, that already has GST (VAT) attached to it. When selling digital the publishers just take the 10% as free profit, but once GST starts there is no way they are going to make digital 10% more expensive than retail.

For indies it might be a bit different but all this happens in 2017, that's at least one new Prime Minister away, maybe more. You are also not allowed to advertise the price of something before GST is added and by then there will probably the Aus. dollar on steam so I can't imagine it will affect prices too much.

Also are they going to require Nuuvem to collect GST? Other genuine key resellers? What about non-genuine? The whole thing is a complete nonsense thought up by people in government who don't understand the modern global market and are more interesting in appealing to big donators to their party.

Dr Dogg

all this zombi talk makes me think I should pick it up

for Wii U

Yes you should. WiiU has some online connectivity with your dead friends to loot, Gamepad pants wetting tension as you rummage through your back pack and dirty shitty lens shader dialed up to 11.

You know there's a PS4 exclusive coming when every single trailer and news article gets a lazy and shill-y thread over in Gaming. It's almost like bots are parsing the PS Blog and posting everything over there. Guess we now know why threads like this got moved, gotta make room for the important stuff.

All it needs now is some random posts in here about it and how someone has their review copy in the post and the circle is complete.

Alright so I've got these people down for write-ups for next month's OP:
  • Act of Aggression - Uzzy
  • Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain - Dr Dogg
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection - jshackles
If anyone else is interested in writing about stuff that's releasing next month, please feel free to PM me.

On a personal note: went to the doctor's today for a "routine" checkup and found out I need emergency surgery which they have scheduled for the end of next week :(

I think crazyrabbits said they'd write onefor the Amensia game coming out next month and if no one claims it by the end of the month I'll do something for Zombi for You May Have Missed.

Good luck dude!

Unpopular Steam GAF opinion since you guys love Ubisoft games:

Mad Max looks terrible.

I still don't know what the core gameplay loop and hook is? Do you just drive around picking up scrap and pimping your car? One thing is for sure the UI is horrendous.

Can't be worse than Shadows of Mordor

Urgh when it was being promotted by the press as 'This years Mordor' my tiny amount of enthusiasm for it wilted.

Eh that;s nice and all but that not really giving the motivation to return to finish off the Riddler Rubbish I have left.

so im the only one who hasn't heard of Haribo here?

What? Kids and grown ups love it so. The happy world of Haribo.

Wait Creative Assembly is not the output of Sega of America. In fact go look at Sega's output on Steam and most of the good stuff is Sega of Europe or handled by one of their European studios. We've got SoA to thank for the likes of Sonic Boom that pretty much crashed and burned.

No idea who this dude is but they're like 2 and a half years late to the party on that one. There's plenty of email files about Watch Dogs in Black Flag's present day stuff and on the flipside you can hack Abstergo Employees in Watch Dogs. These little tongue in cheek references aren't huge secrets that took masses of digging but have be known for flipping ages.

In Duskers you pilot drones into derelict spaceships to find the means to survive and piece together how the universe became a giant graveyard.

You are a drone operator, surrounded by old gritty tech that acts as your only eyes and ears to the outside world. What you hear comes through a remote microphone. What you see is how each drone sees the world. Motion sensors tell you something's out there, but not what. And when you issue commands, you do it through a command line interface.

Game is really fun and playable currently, and very promising. Here are some impressions of mine from the Indie Games thread:
Played some Duskers and it's really cool and very promising.

The two games I was reminded of while playing were Capsule and Deadnaut. The former due to relying on a glitchy sensor screen to explore vessels, the latter due to the concept of exploring derelict ships from a detached distant location.

Duskers drops you into a ship low on supplies in an massive randomly-generated galaxy and you need to jump from abandoned barge to empty capital ship, exploring and gathering much-needed resources

To do that, you control a group of drones. Each drone has three equipment slots, and you can add numerous functions and abilities like a motion sensor or acting as a mobile generator.

You'll need those two. Ships can be huge and you never know what dangers lurk onboard. Perhaps alien entities or an active security system. To succeed, you need to cautiously scan rooms, choose which doors to open, block off dangers.

But the interesting and immersive aspect is that you don't control the drones directly, but by typing in commands. "Navigate 1 r3;gather all" will move drone 1 to the selected room 3 and gather all supplies there. It adds a tactile hands-on feel to the action and makes it even more crucial to plan and think ahead. Because you don't have much time to react if things go wrong.

Some other cool things:
- Locking an alien in a room then interfacing with the ship and activating the on-board defense system. Alien dead.
- Switching between the sterile tactical ship map to the grainy sensor view. The visuals and sound design really add to the atmosphere
- Chaining together a bunch of commands and watching your drones move and act autonomously. The control scheme has a satisfyingly lo-fi sci-fi vibe.

zkylon

zkylewd
some more witcher. i think hard difficulty was a mistake heh, but it's also kind of fun to see some lvl 14 knights kick the shit out of me and chase me away from saving whatshisnameinacage. i'm really confused by how poor and underleveled i feel considering that i haven't been having much trouble doing missions that are higher level than me and fighting lvl 10 enemies pretty easily even when i was like lvl 4. but those lvl 14 knights, they're fucking me up lol

the game just continues to feel weird to me, i just feel kind of tired of it being super open world already. there's a ton of systems and crafting and stuff but all you do is run around and kill stuff. there's no stealth and horseriding isn't particularly fun, dialogue is strictly limited to quest givers, and while the bigger quests are pretty good, the smaller ones just feel like filler. gwent is really fun but so far i've only found two difficulty levels: that random crazy card master random nobleman at vizima's castle that always revives his heroes and then all the other scrubs in the game lol

i can't say i don't find the game totally addicting and fun to play and whatever but also i keep getting the feeling i'd rather the game wasn't open world and was just big open areas with tons of quests but still very focused like witcha 1 and 2

Volume numbers from Steamspy

Owners: 1,150 ± 917

ouch
didn't that release like two days ago or something?

i think steamspy isn't too accurate for new releases

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Volume numbers from Steamspy

Owners: 1,150 ± 917

ouch

and I thought final fantasy type-0 HD sold badly, hope volume sold more on consoles so that.

Though I didn't buy it because it looked like 20€ for something like MGS VR missions which I didn't really enjoy.

didn't that release like two days ago or something?

i think steamspy isn't too accurate for new releases

On the 18th. Usually on the third/fourth day it normalizes. But even before that you can get a ballpark estimate. Like I don't think later today or afterwards it's suddenly going to be at 10k-20k or something like that.

/in before this is happening

zkylon

zkylewd
since a couple ppl were talking about antiviruses lately and such, i've tried avira for a few weeks and personally i'm not a big fan

i wouldn't say it's terrible or anything, but it sometimes bothers you with ads for the pro version which is really annoying for me cos i keep thinking it just detected a virus or something but it's usually something like "YOU THINK YOU'RE SAFE BUT YOU'RE NOT" and whatever

i might go back to mse, i know it's supposed to be shit but we have a nice relationship he and me and i miss him already

On the 18th. Usually on the third/fourth day it normalizes. But even before that you can get a ballpark estimate. Like I don't think later today or afterwards it's suddenly going to be at 10k-20k or something like that.

i see, that's unfortunate, but its style may just not be the kind that's killer in sales

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Torchlight 2 any good?

A little too big for its own good if you're one to explore every inch of the map and fight your way through every dungeon, I think, which can make playing the game feel more like a chore at times. It's like Titan Quest in that regard, but not quite as extreme. I'd play with a friend to reduce the possibility of burnout.

Volume doesnt seem interesting enough for me that I would pay 18-20$ for it. The indie market is quite huge now so I can still wait. Games that would have sold quazillions 5 years ago are now struggling thanks to a really big competition.
Its similar to Blocks that Matter. When it released as one of the "first" bigger indie titles on Steam people bought it because the Steam Service didnt have much indiegames and it was actually a competent puzzle game. When the Sequel came out, it was released during the time when Spelunky came out, there was not much PR (understandable with small dev teams) and actually a big competition and Bundles.

Besides that I actually have never heard of that game besides during the past few days.

Lain

Is Torchlight 2 any good?

I don't think it is bad, but I don't feel it is good either.
I found it to be kinda boring, both during the beta as well as after release.

The positives are that you don't need to be online to play it in single-player, the cartoony look and the modding ability.

The cons are that the gameplay (and the feedback to your actions) isn't as nice as even the first Van Helsing, let alone something like Diablo 3 and exploring feels more like a chore, or so it did for me.

Dr Dogg

gwent is really fun but so far i've only found two difficulty levels: that random crazy card master random nobleman at vizima's castle that always revives his heroes and then all the other scrubs in the game lol

In terms of Gwent difficulty I do think it's dependant on your desks for the most part with most of the random players you bump into. When I got to Novigrad and popped in the blacksmiths to gets some repairs done I noticed I could challenge him. Wiped the floor with me pretty much instantly where I had be rolling everyone over beforehand. This was because I had only been getting cards from shops and missing the uniques from quests and specific players. So after 10 or more failed attempts I went and did the Gwent focused quests and he was a piece of cake now that my Northern Realms deck was awesome. Then I bumped into my first Monster deck player... Things didn't go so well. CDPR really need to make a much bigger standalone game of Gwent with tournaments, online play and all that jazz.

Speaking of action RPGs..
Is there any other ARPG that support local co-op like Dungeon Siege III? Why don't more developers do this? It's a dope feature.
I know it's the "online era", but local co-op is WAY more fun than online co-op, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom