• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody from the Ukraine is constantly trying to get into my Steam account, they have tried to change my password (my password is very complicated, not something dumb) I had a few emails from Steam about it.

IXHbBLg.png

Any advice? I don't want this bastard getting in. Is it worth changing my Steam password just in case, even if it's not the type of password that can be guessed, brute forced etc?

SSPssp

I thought I didn't until it said right below the screen name sign-in to do so. Since everything was on major slowdown, figured I download it just so I can hurry up the process. At least it wasn't a major pain to uninstall.

Yeah, I got lucky since it actually started handing out keys 3 minutes before the hour, so I got in before the site started crawling.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Stellaris sounds equal parts amazing and terrifying...

And it is probably not hyperbole given how dense Europa Universalis is. All of the stuff in that article sounds great about how warfare and peacetime are handled, alliances, a galactic federation, meeting pre-space travel aliens (abductions!), dangerous technologies causing late-game disasters, it all sounds great. The reason I love and play as much Civ V and Beyond Earth as I do is the games are sandboxes, Civ V obviously a bigger sandbox. Every game is a surprise and Stellaris sounds like it has even more potential.

Maybe this will finally be my gateway into grand strategy games.

Really looking forward to this game, thoguh EU4 wasn't really filled to the brim with content on launch, it's after all the patches and DLC's the game actually feels worth it to play a lot of.

Really hoping Stellaris won't need as many DLC's to add most of the "essential" content it needs to not feel repetetive after a few games of it.

kurahador

Somebody from the Ukraine is constantly trying to get into my Steam account, they have tried to change my password (my password is very complicated, not something dumb) I had a few emails from Steam about it.

IXHbBLg.png

Any advice? I don't want this bastard getting in. Is it worth changing my Steam password just in case, even if it's not the type of password that can be guessed, brute forced etc?

Change your steam and email password.
Not sure if steam allow caps, but use that too if possible.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

IXHbBLg.png

They'll still need your email address for SteamGuard, so as long as you have that locked down (hopefully with some form of two-factor authentication of its own), you should be good.

iosefe

IXHbBLg.png

i had a ukrain guy the other day too. i changed all my important passwords

IXHbBLg.png

change it to something more complicated if you can.

I've been leveling Heroes all wrong, this calculator changes everything AGAIN.

It really does.

It'll blow your mind even more when you get far enough, to gild a single hero and level ONLY that hero for a run.

Typically Masked Samurai is the go-to and then the Rangers after Frostleaf. I think I have a couple hundred gilds on the 3rd or 4th ranger. I can't remember, it's a while since i've moved them.

Didn't see the news that started the gunvolt talk when I skimmed the last few pages...

- Already bought gunvolt on 3DS, basically threw $15 out the window since a steam version is on the way.
+ No longer have to play the game on the piece of shit known as 3DS hardware.
+ If I'm lucky, there will even be achievements.

--

I was thinking about the spoiler thing some more and wanted to use some movie examples to kind of further my point about that initial excitement you can only get from going in blindly:

The Sixth Sense --
Before it was common knowledge that Bruce Willis is dead the entire time, that twist was so good that it spawned Shyamalan's career. I'm not sure if he's even come close to this level of awesome again, though Unbreakable did have a cool twist -- but it was something where, because of the impression left with the first major Shyamalan film, you were expecting *something* even if you didn't know what it was. And sure, if you enjoy the movie with the twist, you may want to go back and re-watch it with that new knowledge to see all the things you may have missed the first time... but if someone tells you the big twist or whatever before you see it? It just deflates your enjoyment and the only thing you'll end up thinking about is "Bruce Willis is dead" the whole time... the movie was specifically written so that going in blindly is the point...

I know, it's probably an overused example, but it was the easiest movie to use to make my point. Same goes for Memento and any other film/book/media that's written such that things are supposed to be revealed to the audience midway through the experience, not something the audience is supposed to know going in.

Didn't see the news that started the gunvolt talk when I skimmed the last few pages...

- Already bought gunvolt on 3DS, basically threw $15 out the window since a steam version is on the way.
+ No longer have to play the game on the piece of shit known as 3DS hardware.
+ If I'm lucky, there will even be achievements.

Neat! I was interested in it. Thanks for sharing!

Dr Dogg

Right finally got to the Level 30 boss and looking at its health I need... 2766k DPS to kill it in the allotted time. I'm currently at 505k. This is going to take a while. Also why call a game Clicker Heroes when clicking is probably the most stupid thing to do. I swear they have some seedy cartel setup with peripheral manufactures.

how do u get this info

i'd like to see my right click presses since i broke my right click on my steelseries mouse

stupid league of legendsl ol

SteelSeries Engine 2.0 has a Statistics page which shows your button presses over either the Current Session or Lifetime. Obviously you need a compatable SteelSeries mouse for it to work.

Linky:- http://downloads.steelseriescdn.com/drivers/engine/SteelSeriesEngine_2.9.2014.1.exe

Eila

tfw you activate a steam key on your alt account by mistake while idling
It was the Hello Kitty game. And it's $5 after pre-order.
Oh well, I'll just have to live with the fact that I don't have that game on my main account.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I did some testing of Enhanced Steam in the Nightly Firefox using version 7.7. Things didn't go so well, because it turns out that most of Chrome's extension API functionality has yet to be baked into Firefox.

Additionally, the console wouldn't capture extension errors (like Chrome does) so it hung up somewhere after the first few lines and didn't continue executing, but gave no error messages.

It's a promising start (that it even works at all) but they have a long way to go before this is production-ready. At the very least, I have something to direct Firefox users at and tell them that the extension should hopefully be compatible with Firefox 43 when it's released.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Their Shantae titles seemed to get some good praise. Then again they did work in colab with WayForward.

Honestly I think inticreates is the more talented of the two and I've seen enough of their games to know they'll do just fine with a SotN-hased Castlevania-like title.

zkylon

zkylewd
SteelSeries Engine 2.0 has a Statistics page which shows your button presses over either the Current Session or Lifetime. Obviously you need a compatable SteelSeries mouse for it to work.
i see

my friends say i do like korean clicking cos they can hear like clickyclickyclickyclickyclickyclicky over skype and it's pretty easy to tell it's league related cos only right click broke but still, i expected so much more from a supposedly pro mouse

im not gonna install the steelseries program again just to check up on that stat tho, that thing was a crazy memory hog for the shit it did

Coreda

I did some testing of Enhanced Steam in the Nightly Firefox using version 7.7.

At the very least, I have something to direct Firefox users at and tell them that the extension should hopefully be compatible with Firefox 43 when it's released.

�� Recently upgraded to the v42 dev build so it's great to hear progress is being made on a new FF release.

Dr Dogg

Honestly I think inticreates is the more talented of the two and I've seen enough of their games to know they'll do just fine with a SotN-hased Castlevania-like title.

Be interesting to see what they can do in UE4 with a 3D engine but in a 2D style.

i see

my friends say i do like korean clicking cos they can hear like clickyclickyclickyclickyclickyclicky over skype and it's pretty easy to tell it's league related cos only right click broke but still, i expected so much more from a supposedly pro mouse

im not gonna install the steelseries program again just to check up on that stat tho, that thing was a crazy memory hog for the shit it did

Hahaha fair enough I don't blame you.

Ah my Steel Series engine is up to date to 3.0+ is the feature gone in this one?

Yeah bizzarely it's not in the 3 version. Don't know why.

tfw you activate a steam key on your alt account by mistake while idling
It was the Hello Kitty game. And it's $5 after pre-order.
Oh well, I'll just have to live with the fact that I don't have that game on my main account.

Alt account?
Why do you have an alt account?

To idle free games and games that have absolutely no value, like Bad Rats.
I have over 100 games on it, lol.

Wait, what?
Free games?

Do you mean you don't want to dirty your main account with "bundle trash" so that's where you put all the games you have no interest in for purposes of idling? Or are you taking stuff from the modbot "garbage dumps" and the like and then idling a second copy of the game to get the card money (again) so you can buy things and gift them to your main account?

Eila

Wait, what?
Free games?

Do you mean you don't want to dirty your main account with "bundle trash" so that's where you put all the games you have no interest in for purposes of idling? Or are you taking stuff from the modbot "garbage dumps" and the like and then idling a second copy of the game to get the card money (again) so you can buy things and gift them to your main account?

Free games from here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeGamesOnSteam
And shitty dupes I get from buying bundles (like bad rats).
I only take stuff I want here, but I do love my +1s. I will activate anything on my main.
And you can just trade the trading cards to your main so you're not stuck with a couple cents in your alt account.

Really looking forward to this game, thoguh EU4 wasn't really filled to the brim with content on launch, it's after all the patches and DLC's the game actually feels worth it to play a lot of.

Really hoping Stellaris won't need as many DLC's to add most of the "essential" content it needs to not feel repetetive after a few games of it.

It will probably have the same number of necessary expansions and the same amount of superfluous themed units and whatnot as added DLC that you see in every other Paradox game.

I just find EU kind of borders on the obtuse even though EU4 is supposed to be the most accessible in the series yet. I've watched quill18's Lets Play's and have made many abortive attempted games playing as Spain--EU for babies--but I rarely get beyond the unification of the country before saving and quitting out. I wish I was into the series because it looks like so many of its systems addresses design problems I have with other games, like Civ V for example. I don't know why the space/sci-fi them interests me more than European history, but it does. That said I'm stoked as hell for the next Hearts of Iron. Or to try it at least.

Haunted

The fun fact about clicking games is that you don't even click all that much because it's all automated after the first 2-3 minutes.

Benedict

Seems like my save for Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride has dissappeared.
Others seem to have had the same problems...
Don't really want to play it again to catch up where I was.

That left a sour taste for the Artifex Mundi games. What if it happens again...

Haunted

Seems like my save for Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride has dissappeared.
Others seem to have had the same problems...
Don't really want to play it again to catch up where I was.

That left a sour taste for the Artifex Mundi games. What if it happens again...
Oh no! Never had this happen or heard of this, but that sucks. It's like the best AM game, to boot.

That said, since you can skip all the dialogues, puzzles and minigames and instantly warp between locations, it shouldn't be too bad to get back to where you were... one of the benefits of the (sometimes extreme for us as core gamers not used to it) user-friendliness of these games, I suppose.

Haunted

you won't enjoy it the same way, but you'll still enjoy seeing how it all comes together. Have you never rewatched a movie like the Usual Suspects or Memento?
And that's the crux of the whole matter, if you admit to that, I think we're actually on the same page here. I understand what you're saying. But using your own example - you yourself don't think that rewatching the Usual Suspects or Memento has the same kind of impact than the first time you watched it.

You agree that there's something different about the very first time the twist gets you, the very first time the mystery was unveiled compared to repeat watches/plays.

It's that difference that you end up taking away from people when you spoiler something for them. For some people, it'll be no big deal, they don't really care about that kind of stuff. For others, it'll basically cripple the whole experience.

Either way, you know that saying that it makes no difference whatsoever is simply false.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Here's some stuff.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

War of the Human Tanks -- MB-B843C977C0F37676 - Taken by bkw. 2 entrants total.
Hydraulic Empire -- MB-C0296FCCFC102125 - Taken by chronomac. 4 entrants total.
Abyss Raiders: Uncharted -- MB-C3B76630758A5114 - Taken by Eila. 2 entrants total.
Ping 1.5 -- MB-4DB4F798AF9B0348 - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
Screencheat -- MB-07BED12AFD32E98C - Taken by Dongs Macabre. 1 entrants total.
Raptor: Call of the Shadows -- MB-5F14E633DA1B8414 - Taken by Blu(e). 3 entrants total.
StartBolita -- MB-EC68F0674BC23444 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
East Tower: Aiko -- MB-07AFB8DC8152CEA2 - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Crimsonland -- MB-8BEC7E22CC9D3960 - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Bionic Heart 2 -- MB-C02199E1DE2200E6 - Taken by almostheathen. 2 entrants total.
President for a Day: Floodings -- MB-D65A751DFEC5AE4B - Taken by Hektor. 1 entrants total.
Odysseus: Long Way Home -- MB-65CA3C32EAB9EFC0 - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Indie Assault -- MB-EC63A68EE8D24513 - Taken by Mixed2k. 1 entrants total.
Super Slam Dunk Touchdown -- MB-16E407F82273DD4D - Taken by Kifimbo. 2 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-354825A745040AC5 - Taken by lindarasta. 1 entrants total.
Quantum Conscience -- MB-821072F4A696E6D9 - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.
Project Druid -- MB-5AF9A4CE4B6E45EF - Taken by ExoSoul. 2 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess Plus Hilda Rize Princess Lilith DLC -- MB-DD1F7438415EAF39 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 1 entrants total.
TinyKeep -- MB-7B0A054A6625620E - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-611E3335D50DD0CF - Taken by Haunted. 3 entrants total.
Sword of Asumi -- MB-948EE63F78AA197C - Taken by Deques. 2 entrants total.
Broken Bots -- MB-12971013D32FEB20 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
Garden Rescue -- MB-1A925D8715AF036B - Taken by Sammichu. 1 entrants total.

t1440185219z1.png

Knurek

Done with Child of Light.
God, that was such a mediocre game.
Especially coming from Zeyboyd's Penny Arcade games.
Bad 'poetry' for text, absolutely crappy dungeon design, and abysmal fighting system.
Seriously, the only thing the game had going for was the (as usual) breathtaking 2D art.
Best to avoid this one, folks.

you won't enjoy it the same way, but you'll still enjoy seeing how it all comes together. Have you never rewatched a movie like the Usual Suspects or Memento?

That's the point of the whole discussion. You lose out on the first time viewing enjoyment. Rewatching those type of movies is still enjoyable, but it's not AS enjoyable as the first time viewing mind fuck.

Haunted

Just for those who don't own it already and have missed the Capy sale going on: both Critter Crunch and are excellent puzzle games well worth that asking price.

Particularly the M&M game is great value since it's so meaty and lengthy. But both are absolutely worth checking out.

Volimar

Who are you and what have you done to Volimar?

I don't know what you're talking about. <blinkblinkblink> I'm the same person I've always been. <slow blink slow blink slow blink> I just appreciate cheap quality games. <blinkblinkblink> Is that so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom