• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't find Gunvolt all that great and got it on sale on eShop for 50% off. This is coming from someone who likes Mega Man Zero and ZX that it's mostly based off on. The Lightning mechanic is novel but, kinda clunky.

You're a monster. :mad:
Gunvolt is one of two 3DS games I've played that I liked.

That's my opinion as well.

Kinda depends -- there's a certain excitement that comes from certain aspects in the ways a story can be told.

For example, [BioShock Spoilers]:
Knowing ahead of time about how the death of Andrew Ryan would occur and "Would you kindly" would've made the impact of that moment a lot different for me and I probably wouldn't remember it as fondly as I do now.

But if we're talking about general locations and gameplay spoilers, those I don't really see the problem with. I remember someone took issue with my asking if <path> was the quickest route to the end game in Dark Souls 2 because I mentioned some location names... and that, I just don't understand. Whether or not you know there's a place called "The Gutter" will not change your gameplay experience, especially if you don't have any references for what "The Gutter" refers to.

If the NeoGAF clicker clan is full when I get home, I can create a SteamGAF clan for the select few here to join.

...Still don't know what benefit clans give though.

Kinda depends -- there's a certain excitement that comes from certain aspects in the ways a story can be told.

For example, [BioShock Spoilers]:
Knowing ahead of time about how the death of Andrew Ryan would occur and "Would you kindly" would've made the impact of that moment a lot different for me and I probably wouldn't remember it as fondly as I do now.

But if we're talking about general locations and gameplay spoilers, those I don't really see the problem with. I remember someone took issue with my asking if <path> was the quickest route to the end game in Dark Souls 2 because I mentioned some location names... and that, I just don't understand. Whether or not you know there's a place called "The Gutter" will not change your gameplay experience, especially if you don't have any references for what "The Gutter" refers to.

I agree with this completely, and you chose damn good examples as well. 'Gameplay spoilers' are completely different from 'Story spoilers'.

BioInf is a good one as we all. Knowing the 'plot twist' before hand would have completely lessened the impact of the climax of the story.

I don't understand how being spoiled of a major plot point for anything DOESN'T ruin your enjoyment of it.

You're a monster. :mad:
Gunvolt is one of two 3DS games I've played that I liked.
What are the other 3DS games you played?

I just feel that Gunvolt is bleh compared to the Intel Creates other games they made.

I've said it before, but I played FF7 years after the fact and knew the twists by heart (even though I hadn't played through them before), and still loved every moment of the game.

That being said, don't go into the spoiler thread. I've seen it all. Best thing to do is stay clear of all MGS-related threads from here on out.

Basically. I am not saying just read spoilers. Actively dodge them but, don't not play the game if you do accidentally get spoiled. Especially if you are excited for it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Si grandia is out on steam in like 4 days no store page still

I've said it before, but I played FF7 years after the fact and knew the twists by heart (even though I hadn't played through them before), and still loved every moment of the game.

But you would've enjoyed it even more if you went in blind, you just can't argue against that.
It's a great game so it's no surprise you enjoyed it, but I think it goes without saying that
playing such a story heavy game while knowing what happens beforehand isn't comparable to experiencing it firsthand.

Dr Dogg

seriously?

Apparently. This is an actual spoiler not a fake ha ha spoiler tag. Just a results screen but you know, spoilers are like Pringles.

Si grandia is out on steam in like 4 days no store page still

It's the hip new thing to do. Just dump your game on Steam with no media coverage and bam up it pops on release day with no fan fare and hope it sells itself.

Have you actually played DS3 coop yet?
The camera is a fucking joke that makes actual multi impossible.
(It might be better in local, but in internet, you basically just had to stick close to player 1 or you could not see what you were fucking doing)

I have.
Yeah the camera is a bit janky and need some manual adjustment once in a while. But overall it's pretty fun RPG. I'm playing local co-op.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If the NeoGAF clicker clan is full when I get home, I can create a SteamGAF clan for the select few here to join.

...Still don't know what benefit clans give though.

I agree with this completely, and you chose damn good examples as well. 'Gameplay spoilers' are completely different from 'Story spoilers'.

BioInf is a good one as we all. Knowing the 'plot twist' before hand would have completely lessened the impact of the climax of the story.

I don't understand how being spoiled of a major plot point for anything DOESN'T ruin your enjoyment of it.

In the case of 'Gameplay spoilers', merely knowing an area exists can, in some cases, potentially betray information about what might happen in the story before someone can even get a chance to play the game. Information that was obscured from any materials selected to be distributed by the developer or publisher. Some are worried that if they know a certain area may show up in The Phantom Pain, it will tell them certain twists ahead of time.

Parsnip

Spoilers suck, and I hope no one brings any actual Phantom Pain spoilers to SteamGAF. The game isn't even out yet for fuck's sake. I'm just not going to click any spoiler tags for the next month or so, you never know what you'll find under there.

Well, that's something.
Assuming everything works, it may end up being the definitive edition of game in the end, but man what a botched launch.

@IntiCreatesEN 7:00 AM
Azure Striker #Gunvolt is coming to Steam on Aug 28, 2015, and it's packed with new features! Available for $14.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyM6yfBC_gU
Oh, neat. Did we know this was coming?

Dr Dogg

If I buy MGSV on steam, do I get ground zeros now, or do I have to wait until the full game is released?

You get it now. Though checking my copy sat in my inventory it's tagged as Not Tradable which expires after 30 days from purchase. So cool if you want GZ for yourself or gift it to someone else but you'd have to wait a while if you want to trade it away.

Well, that's something.
Assuming everything works, it may end up being the definitive edition of game in the end, but man what a botched launch.

It's strange seeing the reviews on the store page get better and better, I guess people have calmed down enough to remove some reviews or change them maybe, it seems every time I check the store page the reviews are better than they were last time I checked. Only 56% negative now.

In the case of 'Gameplay spoilers', merely knowing an area exists can, in some cases, potentially betray information about what might happen in the story before someone can even get a chance to play the game. Information that was obscured from any materials selected to be distributed by the developer or publisher. Some are worried that if they know a certain area may show up in The Phantom Pain, it will tell them certain twists ahead of time.

I see the point for sure. I was just speaking of my own opinion of Gameplay v. story spoilers.

you won't enjoy it the same way, but you'll still enjoy seeing how it all comes together. Have you never rewatched a movie like the Usual Suspects or Memento?

Rather than dissecting how people get enjoyment out of entertainment, just consider one thing:

One can only experience something blind once, at most. You can only not know the story of a movie/book/game in advance, while experiencing it, once. Even if that experience won't be the greatest thing ever, it is, in some way, precious because it can't be regained once lost.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good news this morning for Firefox users. From this blog post:

We are implementing a new extension API, called WebExtensions—largely compatible with the model used by Chrome and Opera—to make it easier to develop extensions across multiple browsers.

To this end, we are implementing a new, Blink-compatible API in Firefox called WebExtensions. Extension code written for Chrome, Opera, or, possibly in the future, Microsoft Edge will run in Firefox with few changes as a WebExtension. This modern and JavaScript-centric API has a number of advantages, including supporting multi-process browsers by default and mitigating the risk of misbehaving add-ons and malware.

WebExtensions will behave like other Firefox add-ons; they will be signed by Mozilla, and discoverable through addons.mozilla.org (AMO) or through the developer’s website. With this API, extension developers should be able to make the same extension available on Firefox and Chrome with a minimal number of changes to repackage for each platform.

I'm going to be doing some testing, but this (hopefully) means that the Firefox version of Enhanced Steam will be a simple port from the Chrome version with full functionality - accounting for their "minimal number of changes".

More news as it develops.

Ruruja

I've played Clicker Heroes on and off since it came out on Steam and I've never gotten past level 144.

spoilers dont ruin your enjoyment of the story, especially in a game

EOFU9ao.gif

but this (hopefully) means that the Firefox version of Enhanced Steam will be a simple port from the Chrome version with full functionality - accounting for their "minimal number of changes".

Good news indeed.

Parsnip

It's strange seeing the reviews on the store page get better and better, I guess people have calmed down enough to remove some reviews or change them maybe, it seems every time I check the store page the reviews are better than they were last time I checked. Only 56% negative now.

It seems like the tweak utility someone created made the game playable for some of the people who couldn't play it before, I imagine that helped the reviews a bit.

I'm going to be doing some testing, but this (hopefully) means that the Firefox version of Enhanced Steam will be a simple port from the Chrome version with full functionality - accounting for their "minimal number of changes".

Sounds good!

Dr Dogg

Plus with the Edge bit, which you expressed an interest in, that could be quite handy for you if it all pans out and probably a bit less work.

Sounds very nice. FF32 is my choice of browser but I missed full ES functionality. Hoping for the best but don't get too stressed trying to port it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Plus with the Edge bit, which you expressed an interest in, that could be quite handy for you if it all pans out and probably a bit less work.

More like "a lot less work". Previously, since Mozilla had it's own APIs and things it meant I couldn't do stuff like have a full options page for Firefox like the Chrome version had, and most of the features had to be ported from the Chrome API to the equivalent Firefox API (if one existed).

Of course I'm sure there will still be those with Mozilla offshoot browsers that won't get this functionality (at least right away) but it's a step in the right direction.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
After what feels like a million hours of trial and error, my "port" of gg_smallcity_b1 to CS:GO is finally complete.

A mate and I made up a GunGame-based drinking game donkey's years ago and now that there's a functional GunGame mod for GO (Arms Race isn't customisable to the extent that GG is), we can finally move on from Source; but smallcity is the map we always kick things off with and I couldn't find a GO equivalent, so I figured I'd bring over the Source original myself. It took a few days, but I got there in the end.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm a dinosaur?

If you haven't already, I'd totally recommend turning off all the "Points of Interest" markers on the map. Having everything highlighted like that really makes them feel more like obligations rather than neat stuff to stumble across.
problem with this is that some quest locations are also marked as points of interest (say, you find a map for hidden valuables) so it can be really tough to complete some of those quests and it's not like i'm swimming in money and exp to be like ignoring all the loot in those places

i generally don't go to the points of interest themselves, just clear them along as i walk from one quest marker to the next

The noblemen in Vizima is basically infamous for being too hard at this point--but you can always come back to him.
lol he's a monster

i played like 20 games against him until i ran out of money lol

Leveling in Witcher 3 is sorta weird. I'd say it only really serves as a gate to using better swords, which will goes a long way in determining whether you can practically win a fight. More so than skills, or armor. I'd also say large groups of trash mobs are way more troublesome than single high level critters--you can patiently wear down something that can't hit you, but a bunch of nekkers will stunlock you to death no problem.
yeah that's true, although some high level ppl, specially that nilfgaardian knight i ran into can be pretty hard too cos they'll take like 70% of your hp in one hit

i find myself not using lock-on basically ever now

Annubis

FANMADE_Fluttershy_seal_meme.jpg

I was starting to consider Chrome more and more but this seems like something that will keep me on FF.

AHA-Lambda

Finished Zombi, good game, but holy hell does the last act drop off in quality, and that ending really has no effort put in it at all =/

r3n4ud

More games
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Monster Loves You! -- MB-88F4543BBF2E7B85 - Taken by Teppic
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-021CD09D0B33FAFA
Crimsonland -- MB-4B59D28CBBDEA978 - Taken by fspm
ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS -- MB-9DC803F0763144AA - Taken by Kurt Russell
FOTONICA -- MB-44CFE9815DF39503 - Taken by Zeeman
TinyKeep -- MB-7A6B78FFCACFD546 - Taken by Vlad

Dr Dogg

I'm honestly just doing this for science.
I mean what are the chances I get indoctrinated and this then becomes my gaming life?

Edit: Just had an idea. To make this actually a scientific experiment here's my button press stats for my mouse at present on this PC

fbDMDcY.png

Let's come back and see what this looks like in a week.

A mate and I made up a GunGame-based drinking game donkey's years ago and now that there's a functional GunGame mod for GO (Arms Race isn't customisable to the extent that GG is), we can finally move on from Source; but smallcity is the map we always kick things off with and I couldn't find a GO equivalent, so I figured I'd bring over the Source original myself.

Time to write up the rule book and share it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom