• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

The proof of gaf fanboys' stupidity that Soulflarz posted. Anything below 9 for MGSV would produce the same result I think.

The console wars add fuel to the fire. Without such weight resting on the reviews it will not have the same effect.

Look at The Order 1886 review thread.

Oh okay, I was going there on my phone. I'll do it on my laptop next time though. I use a mouse with my laptop so things should be better then.

I'm gonna make the best drawings
I wish you luck!
Jesus In-Win. Why!?

1433208891T7P040.jpg

rogf.gif
Please give transforming computer.
Rin is best Aikatsu

I like your avatar, even if I don't know who it is. I give it an B+

wolfhowwl

Banned
A game's true score depends on the score of the year. Weak year? Mordor is a 10/10 GotY game... apparently. Strong year? Then no one will remember or talk about Mordor... even moreso than before.

I think I have something against Shadow of Mordor. NinjaEdit: Oh and this also isn't the Giant Bomb thread so it's even more nonsensical. Pshaw.

The problem with Volume, from what I've heard, is that it's basically MGS VR missions with incredibly digital detect/non-detect states, so the "best" strategy is just to walk behind the enemy
From what I've read, it's best to think of it less as a stealth game and more as a puzzle game.

Sure, there is a stealth element, but consider that you want to attract enemies to certain locations in specific ways, figuring out the best time and place to use gadgets, the very binary and simple AI, etc.

It's a top down puzzle game with stealth elements.

lol

I didn't even know this was a thing.

This is why I pretty much avoid all of gaming side. Except to read the hilarious reactions in review threads. Last one that made me laugh out loud was The Order 1886.

It's the year 2015 and people still haven't realized a review is mostly the reviewer's opinions, not fact or law. GAF gonna GAF I guess.
Yup! review threads for heavily hyped games are the most amusing.

Deques

So you're saying we have to BUY a game, and then git gud at it, in order to WIN a game? Ugh, you might as well have made it Megagivers Only or something.
I am not saying that you have to buy a game to win another game. I thought that many of you already bought Ikaruga since many of you said that you wanted it.
And I chose ikaruga as the challenge since I am kinda disappointed with the scores my steam friends have. You can see the score in my screenshot. I just wanted you play ikaruga more and try to get higher score than 1000000 and also to see if there is someone among steamgaffers can beat my high score.

If the challenge is too difficult then I might change it to something else

And using a megagiver giveaway wouldn't be a challenge

Aomber

Yeah, I mean, one workaround is that I go into local files and create a shortcut that way, which is a bit inconvenient but not a big deal. That works fine with most games.

However the issue is with Valve games. For example CS:GO just flat out won't run if I create a desktop shortcut with that method - I have to launch it through Steam. Dota 2 runs but then it closes and re-opens itself through Steam.

Very strange, lol.

Just to follow up on this in case anyone else has this problem, I figured it out. I even reinstalled Steam and that didn't help.

What DID fix it was turning off running Steam in Admin mode. It was turned on for me for some reason, I turned it off because Steam wasn't starting at bootup either but apparently that fixed this issue as well.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
lol

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Yup! review threads for heavily hyped games are the most amusing.

Review threads is so bad, feels like most people go in there just look at the scores and then go to the comment section screaming about how perfect this game is that he hasn't played and that the reviewer doesn't get it.

HYPE is an emotional train which nothing can stop on GAF.

(can be amusing to watch though, 1886 review thread for example)

Ludens

Banned
Oh wow I didn't realize it took that whole scene with
Atton
out. Comparing the two, it does add a lot to the ending I think

I completed Kotor 2 yesterday too, and I found it much inferior compared to Kotor 1. The writing itself is much, much better, the Exiled is a very interesting character but he's way too similar to Revan.
What I didn't like, anyway, it's the gameplay: Kotor 2 is just very boring to play. Nar Shaddaa won't end and it forces you to do back and forth between the Ebon Hawk and the city itself, just to trigger a fight/scene or something usefull to go on. The design itself of the levels is just...corridors, corridors, corridors. Even when the level seems structured between different levels, like Telos, it's just a series of corridors again.

I didn't like the fact also, the game forces you to fight by using characters I never used during the main game: when the game switches to
Atton in order to fight Twi'lek sisters, I had a very hard time because I had no medipacs, Atton died in the fight right before this one so he had like 1 HP, and he was a low level companion totally unequipped because I really never used him. Same applies to Mira and Hk-47 during the factory level

I know the game had problems on development because LucasGames want it out as soon as possible, but the levels...are just very bland to me. Right after the
enclave scene
, I started to appreciate the plot, something is explained here, and you want to go on to see how all will end. But again the game forces you to do Hk-47 factory in the middle of the end-game, wasting something like 2 hours in a series of uninspired corridors and fights against turrets and droids. Yeah, there are some good dialogues here, plus this section was mandatory to close Hk's plot, but whas it really necessary put it in that specific point, without an advice or something like that? Again, Hk was a loe level character for me and I had a hard time even on easy.

In the end, I still like Kotor 1 way much than Kotor 2. Now I remember why I never played it, because probably I was bored in Peragus and I uninstalled the game. You can't really put a five hours boring tutorial level that seems to never end, it kills pretty much all the will to play that game in first place.

Ozium

I never meant to cause you any sorrow.
I never meant to cause you any pain.
I only wanted one time to see you laughing.

I only
want to
see you
laughing
in the
purple rain.

Xanathus

Jasec still hasn't completed any of the side ops missions in Ground Zeroes, git working on it! At least do the Intel Operative Rescue one, it's mostly a rail shooter and has a great ending.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jasec still hasn't completed any of the side ops missions in Ground Zeroes, git working on it! At least do the Intel Operative Rescue one, it's mostly a rail shooter and has a great ending.

I'll get around to hitting 100% once I'm done with Mad Maxine.

Dr Dogg

Just mention there are collectables in them in the form of tapes and even the guards if you evac them in the chopper and see the response. In fact one of the achievements is for evacing your targets instead of killing them. One nutter in the Gamescom demo thread has been trying to extract every living thing in every mission hoping there's a payoff in TPP for doing so. For their sake I hope so as that's just ridiculously dedicated.

Review threads is so bad, feels like most people go in there just look at the scores and then go to the comment section screaming about how perfect this game is that he hasn't played and that the reviewer doesn't get it.

HYPE is an emotional train which nothing can stop on GAF.

(can be amusing to watch though, 1886 review thread for example)

Normally it isn't a big deal, but in all seriousness, it is important that MGS5 reviews extremely well. If it isn't the big AAA release getting GOTY awards, it might be a Bethesda game again.

I'm not sure the game industry could get through that once more.

Dr Dogg

Normally it isn't a big deal, but in all seriousness, it is important that MGS5 reviews extremely well. If it isn't the big AAA release getting GOTY awards, it might be a Bethesda game again.

Would you say there might be a big Fallout?

MGS probably won't win a lot of/big GOTY awards. Like, I can see it winning the Game Awards and some outlets' awards, but Fallout is a better bet to win big. If not that then TW3 and maybe Bloodborne have chances (though for the latter the big awards like GDC, DICE, Bafta are out of the question seeing how Japanese games don't do well there). Or if Valve indeed releases a VR game and it's really really good.

MGS5 or Fallout 4, the gaming industry is probably doomed either way

Suddenly I want to see the review thread, but I'm scared.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32102086&postcount=3251

What

Holy shit.
I didn't know that GAF was (well, still is) this intense in terms of review scores. But it seems that the group is divided into two, the ones who care about metacritic scoress and who don't.

Also, the interesting part of GOTY posts is, people talk less and less about the games that they've chosen as GOTY (Ikr, they're GOTY even before they play them) at the beginning of the year after they've actually played them. From Bloodborne to Witcher 3, it's now only come down to 2 candidates it seems, Fallout 4 and MGS V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom