• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Last Dream expansion is so good. I'm trying to get through this Suikoden-style rescue/castle defense sequence, which plays out on a grid and has you issuing marching orders to a bunch of armed citizens. It's not even out yet, and it's one of my favorite games of the year. I've put nearly as much time into it (and will probably put more) than the basegame itself.

Also have an Amnesia: Memories review to write up for Thursday (launch day, I think).

Hinomura

Update:
Tried to buy from 2game but turns out it wouldn't let me pay through card or Paypal unless I was already a part of or signed up for this 'G2A' Wallet thing. Fuck that shit. (even though it seems trustworthy)

Guess it was one of their associate sites. =\

Ended up going to Funstock and got it there instead.
:/ 2game if you're legit why are you siding with g2a? :/ unbookmarked :/

Edit: thanks Adventis!

Edit2: if a website is an authorised retailer of a few brands, but is in the g2a circuit it makes it very suspicious to me (ie not every key could be legit)

derExperte

I don't think we're missing anything by not getting a PC version of the Dishonored DE, going by the thread over in Gaming there's zero information about technical details two days before release, they haven't even sent out review copies.

ArjanN

But like this is Blops 2. Something is deeply wrong with you if you assume singleplayer when discussing it. The multiplayer is a truly infinite experience that buries the singleplayer and makes it not worth discussing.

Eh, the singleplayer COD is usually pretty good dumb summer blockbuster action movie. type stuff, and after that you can just go back and play CS:GO for a way better MP shooter.

So you're saying we have to BUY a game, and then git gud at it, in order to WIN a game? Ugh, you might as well have made it Megagivers Only or something.

To be fair it's not a super high score. :p

MRORANGE

I FINALLY DID IT! I GOT A MOD.

I'm sorry, but did you just spin being graphically superior into a weakness? Are you seriously stating the PC is unable to achieve the 'color tone' of the console versions? do you understand that the Ps4 and Xbone now share the PC's x86 architecture? You realize that in this modern age being on a console does not guarantee any kind of rock solid stability or even a bug or patch free experience?

Look. I realize that when faced with perceived inferiority of your chosen platform people will sometimes turn desperately to intangibles to 'justify' their choice, but, really, it's not needed here. The game looks great on current gen. It looks better on PC, but not to the detriment of those other versions.

Sch1sm

Seriously. What is wrong with their ports? They are even asking the same price for One Piece PW 3 as the console versions while the PC version doesnt even have online multiplayer...

Funniest part is, they left the beta test up, broken as it is. Their advice for when it screws up, since functionality is that terrible, is for you to go into offline mode again. Ridiculous.

Funniest part is, they left the beta test up, broken as it is. Their advice for when it screws up, since functionality is that terrible, is for you to go into offline mode again. Ridiculous.

I just wonder what they are thinking. I mean first of all the price-structure of their titles is shit. I mean Toukiden for 50$, OP for 60$, while e.g. Toukiden Kiwami is 20€ Retail for Vita...
Then their ports really reek of laziness or "japaneezyness".
I wonder why wouldnt they just hire Qloc or some other port team to do that for them?

And why arent they including features the console versions have?

Kaleinc

Banned
So. Did DoA5 has the online mode now or is Koei-Tecmo still a PoS that cant even add such thing?
No online, no key customization for kb, no nothing.

Thanks for preorders, bitchez
C6a3Qjb.png

iosefe

So after 3 days have gone by according to steamspy Finla Fantasy Type-0 HD has sold 62,057 ± 6,923 which I hope Square is pretty happy with, even though it sold a lot less than even XIII-2 seems to have done under the same period (If I remember right)

yay

shame about those salty about locked third and the launch issues. all aside, it's still pretty good from a technical standpoint

MattyG

Banned
About how much is a EVGA GTX 760 2GB SC w/ ACX cooling worth? I'm trying to sell mine. I've looked on ebay and Amazon and it's hard to tell how I should price it. It's in great condition, and I still have the box and everything.

Anyone getting this error on IndieGala?

www.indiegala.com -

Access Denied
Error code 17

This request was blocked by the security rules
Then some nonsense about my IP and a proxy IP (I don't use a proxy).

The error number has changed from 14 to 15 and now to 17.

This happened when I tried to recover my password.

derExperte

From the Trine 3 OT.

Well I finished it. Which isn't difficult cause they only released 1/3rd of the game. It just ends. They call it a cliffhanger, but it really just ends. Oh congrats, you got 1 piece of this game's mcguffin, the end. And yet "user reviews and poor media attention has caught us by surprise."

I did think the 5-6 hours that were there were pretty good. It's too bad they severely underestimated how much the game would cost and had to cut it short.

Which leads to this article which is worth a read.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/319910/discussions/0/528398719797223737/

The future of the series is now in question, as the feedback, user reviews and poor media attention has caught us by surprise.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
It's time for some hot Quiplash/Jackbox Party Pack action

I'll be hosting another Quiplash/Jackbox Party Pack gamenight tonight, since it's been over a week since the last one.

The games we will be playing:
header.jpg

header.jpg

t1440291600z4.png

That's 6pm Pacific and 9pm Eastern

You don't need to own the game to play!

The stream will be at http://www.hitbox.tv/DongsMacabre
I'll be recording the stream and uploading it to YouTube after.

Rules:
1. Let me win please

From the Trine 3 OT.

Which leads to this article which is worth a read.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/319910/discussions/0/528398719797223737/

I was just about to post this but then a game of Dota got in the way :p

I find this interesting. They openly admit that the game they wanted to make was much longer but they ran out of money. It's really bad project management that you can only complete one third of your game in your budget. And that I guess was the reason it went to early access first.

But then in early access I feel that they got their pricing wrong. I usually shy away from commentary on developer pricing because I do believe that a person should feel free to charge whatever they think their product is worth. But $30 is just the high end of the spectrum when it comes to indie pricing. You find maybe a handful of success stories per year for indie games releasing around that price.

I think Volume is in the same boat right now, even though it's priced lower at $20. I think it's out of the impulse buy range for most customers. The sales you'll get are 'people who wanted to play Volume by Mike Bithell' and not necessarily 'people who thought that this game looks cool so let's check it out'. It won't matter in the end because if the game is good then sales and bundles will probably push the number of units sold into the tens or hundreds of thousands but I think it does kill the buzz in the early days. And that matters because in just a few weeks it'll be a game that released a while ago that no one talks about anymore.

Personally for me, I find the jump from $15 to $20 the biggest one. $20 to $25 doesn't seem as much, nor does $25 to $30. But I'll instinctively stay away from going up to $20 from $15. Idea Factory has the right idea by putting their games half off for the first week. It creates this impression of an incredibly good deal and they are rewarded when their games sell tens of thousands of copies right off the bat.

zkylon

zkylewd
horse racing sucks

bloody baron quest is great

keira quest is great

holy shit this town is full of gwent masters

#bringBackTheImpressions

Apparently Steam reviews have a character limit of 4096. Huh, now it makes sense why my review wasn't being submitted. It's 5186 characters long. Sure would have been nice to get a message for that instead of just nothing happening. Gotta shave off a thousand characters :/
Awesome Binary Domain write up Veggie. Personal I'd have loved to see a mash up of Vanquish and it as they both cover each others weaknesses and would have many many strengths.
Oh Vanquish would be so nice. Dat extremely fast-paced action with that sweet, sweet "bullet time" :eek:
Hell ya! I will chirp that I went in with underdog expectations but came out feeling that I should have bought this game for full price!
Right?! Hype can legitimately hurt the experience. Maybe that is the reason why I did not enjoy Mad Max. Same happened with the Max Payne movie. Very disappointed at the first time but after re-watching it several months later, I came to like it.
Incredible review! Your gifs and verdict have sold it to me much more. I already had it wishlisted (thanks to you), but now i'll grab it as soon as I see a good price for it, and after MGSV!
..sooo in a couple years? ;)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
a Message from Shadownet!
kinda...i paraphrased.

i can't exactly post this in BST since i'm not the seller. right?

It's questionable if you should be posting it at all. It could be seen as helping to evade a ban.

Aomber

So a little while back I jumped on Windows 10, and ever since I haven't been able to create any desktop shortcuts to games through Steam. Doesn't matter what the game is, no game will create shortcuts - it even says "A shortcut has been placed on your desktop" but there's very obviously nothing there. Tried verifying game cache for a few games and that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

zkylon

zkylewd
So a little while back I jumped on Windows 10, and ever since I haven't been able to create any desktop shortcuts to games through Steam. Doesn't matter what the game is, no game will create shortcuts - it even says "A shortcut has been placed on your desktop" but there's very obviously nothing there. Tried verifying game cache for a few games and that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

i just tried that but it works for me

weird

Aomber

i just tried that but it works for me

weird
Yeah, I mean, one workaround is that I go into local files and create a shortcut that way, which is a bit inconvenient but not a big deal. That works fine with most games.

However the issue is with Valve games. For example CS:GO just flat out won't run if I create a desktop shortcut with that method - I have to launch it through Steam. Dota 2 runs but then it closes and re-opens itself through Steam.

Very strange, lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I mean, one workaround is that I go into local files and create a shortcut that way, which is a bit inconvenient but not a big deal. That works fine with most games.

However the issue is with Valve games. For example CS:GO just flat out won't run if I create a desktop shortcut with that method - I have to launch it through Steam. Dota 2 runs but then it closes and re-opens itself through Steam.

Very strange, lol.

sounds like something might've broken when u upgraded to win10?

i just tried creating an icon for doto and launching it and works fine for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom