• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Holy shit.
I didn't know that GAF was (well, still is) this intense in terms of review scores. But it seems that the group is divided into two, the ones who care about metacritic scoress and who don't.

The most amusing thing about all of the knee-jerk vitriol is that once the game actually released and the veneer of "New entry in my favourite series!" wore off, many found themselves retroactively agreeing with the score.

EviLore said this earlier in the year:

Review threads for hyped up platform-exclusive games are consistently some of the most embarrassing threads on my site.

And he's not wrong. Some people truly need to distance themselves from the emotional attachment they have to their preferred platform.

Deques

Looks like it's my seventh Steam birthday :)

I am going to celebrate with a giveaway. You must Super Win the Game!

The first who can beat my chapter 1 score in Ikaruga will win Super Win the Game
header.jpg

The competition will end in 27th August

For reference, here is my score
[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/UlWWY5Q.jpg[/IMG]

Is my challenge too difficult to achieve? Seems like nobody is doing it, except for shockdude and salazar547 :(

Should I lower the challenged?

Dr Dogg

Sunhi's gif in The Order review thread says it all and in a humorous way that I think we can all laugh at how preposterous the build up of entertainment products is today in mass media.
SunhiLegend said:
I wouldn't say a big fallout. I'd say more something vaguely resembling a fallout that has more in common with gaming oblivion.

Touche!

derExperte

Going by how most are eating up early impressions of Until Dawn from some dudes that haven't in any way shown to be trustworthy and read like they came straight out of the marketing department (seriously, how can they write some of that stuff and not fall off the chair cringing?) that review thread could be a nice appetizer for the main event.
Or the game is actually the most innovative, in-depth, awesome and scary cinematic survival horror experiece yet. Stupidly great writing and acting. Just wow. Part cheesy, part serious and always cliche in a brilliant way. GOTY for many.

Is my challenge too difficult to achieve? Seems like nobody is doing it, except for shockdude and salazar547 :(

Should I lower the challenged?

You're rank 286. In Ikaruga, a notoriously difficult shooter, a genre I don't think we have many experts of in here.

That's a really neat dust magnet.

Seriously, that thing will suck up dust like crazy.

And eventually break. As a rule of thumb if you have some gimmicky mechanical gimmick it will give up the ghost at about the same time you get sick of looking at / waiting for it. Best example are automatically extending displays in cars, unreliable and shortlived as fuck. Only good for those selling spare parts and doing repairs.

The most amusing thing about all of the knee-jerk vitriol is that once the game actually released and the veneer of "New entry in my favourite series!" wore off, many found themselves retroactively agreeing with the score.

EviLore said this earlier in the year:

And he's not wrong. Some people truly need to distance themselves from the emotional attachment they have to their preferred platform.

Or when people constantly shit on the likes of IGN, Gamespot etc, how they're not worth listening to, but when those give their games of choice 9s to 10s, it's "HOLY SHIT!". The same also goes for the opposite, when a game people don't look forward to receives 7s to 8s or worse by those outlets it's "Hah, I told you so!"

I'd like to see some contrarian reviews just for the drama.
"We need to add something so people can't just say 'It's the same game as last year's.'"
While I appreciate Treyarch's effort of getting something new in, but how its people play-tested it and didn't think it's shit is beyond me.
Would you say there might be a big Fallout?
Get out, get out!
I forgot, yes. So couldn't have been too bad but I don't know if want to replay those on Veteran.
I played it on a console at a friend's house, but I seriously doubt it'd be much better even with KB+M.

derExperte

I got Decay - The Mare cheaply from GMG and played the first episode, it's a p'n'c with pre-rendered backgrounds, few animations which looks like it came out 10 years ago. The puzzles are on the easy side and navigation is a mess, like sometimes you go in a room and look at the door you came in, sometime you look in the opposite direction, sometimes the down arrow turns you around, sometimes you take a step back. Turning also isn't 90°, very confusing plus no map. Maybe that's all deliberate like how in The Shining the layout of the hotel is physically impossible to disorient you but I'd call it annoying. Still I find myself genuinely creeped out after a while and it has some solid jump-scares but not too many plus a help function if you become lost. Let's see where the story is going, despite the complaints not too bad for 1,49€ of Playfire credit.

Super cyborg is pretty neat. If you got it in a bundle...and it is quite possible you did... give it a go. Sure it rips off pretty much every contra style game ever...but at least they put some effort it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/341550/

How difficult is it? I like playing those games until they make me wanna cry, see Oniken.

Dr Dogg

DF late to the party as per usual and see the thread here has the potential of summoning the usual string of detractors either saying they hate the ratio or it's not well supported with them not really knowing how widespread the support is and if it's not then quite often with a bit of tinkering and perseverance you can get a lot more games than you think running at as 21:9 ratio. Ah well.

Uzzy

Eight hours into Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and I have to say that I'm loving it. The party characters are all very well written, and I just love coming back to them after every mission to chat about things.

pahamrick

Eight hours into Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and I have to say that I'm loving it. The party characters are all very well written, and I just love coming back to them after every mission to chat about things.

Racter and Gaichu are among the most well written and interesting companions, imo.

JaseC

I think the Rainbow Six Vegas games are due for a featured deal slot some time between now and Saturday. Don't let me down, Ubidubisoft.

pahamrick

I think the Rainbow Six Vegas games are due for a featured deal slot some time between now and Saturday. Don't let me down, Ubidubisoft.

Wait, you don't already have them? Did you miss them during this past summer sale?

I've still got a hangover so naturally I've still got my grumpy pants on.

That or I'm just being a smarmy git showing that I can predict the future
no matter how obvious it may be.

Well then, I'll forgive you if you drink an extra shot for me next time since I can't have alcohol.

JaseC

Wait, you don't already have them? Did you miss them during this past summer sale?

I've had them for aeons, but one of mates doesn't. We'd planned on playing through Siege's "campaign" together, but since the game has been pushed back to December, we figured we'd play through the Vegas subseries again.

pahamrick

I've had them for aeons, but one of mates doesn't. We'd planned on playing through Siege's "campaign" together, but since the game has been pushed back to December, we figured we'd play through the Vegas subseries again.

Makes sense, and a good plan.

Ludens

Banned
What I find really dumb on MGSV is Skullface's masterplan. I mean, it's too dumb to be real, but it's true. I can approve the idea behind it, but the execution is just dumb.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm sure MGSV will end up with something like 84 on metacritic and GAF will explode.

What I find really dumb on MGSV is Skullface's masterplan. I mean, it's too dumb to be real, but it's true. I can approve the idea behind it, but the execution is just dumb.

No teasing, thought this was a safe place.

Dr Dogg

Is this a feel it in my waters situation or 99.99% chance one? Really want to pick up R6 3 Gold but not for £7. Yes I'm tight.

Well then, I'll forgive you if you drink an extra shot for me next time since I can't have alcohol.

Don't worry I'll dedicate the next pint to you which judging my current condition might be in 25 mins time when the local opens.

JaseC

Is this a feel it in my waters situation or 99.99% chance one? Really want to pick up R6 3 Gold but not for £7. Yes I'm tight.

The subs haven't been touched since the Summer Sale ended, so I doubt my wish will come true.

Edit: As far as Steam Sales' data is concerned, which begins from the 2010 Winter Sale, the Vegas games have never a featured deal outside of Steam's Summer/Autumn/Winter Sales and Ubi publisher sales.

Hektor

Stop it before its to late. This is a safe place for safe people! No spoilers!

If you wanna talk about spoilers go into the spoilerthread. plase.

AHA-Lambda

OMG Steam has Trine 3 cheaper than GOG!! D:

I can not recall GOG ever being more expensive :O

it's 10p

EDIT: urgh, I just heard Trine 3 gates levels behind collectibles (a la Dragon Age 3, Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 2). I am sick of games pulling this shit >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom