• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo

Rin is best Aikatsu

No. Aoi-sama.

Been playing Dishonored and I'm feeling underwhelmed. I hate it when stealth games make the stealth a con and not a pro, it's just too easy to kill everyone (on normal difficulty).
In MGS this is not a problem as it's annoying to wait for the alert to go away so you try to stay hidden.

Parsnip

Phantom Pain review thread will be glorious. I'd guess it will be similar to the Uncharted 3 thread, even though it's not a Playstation exclusive. Everyone knows that MGS series belongs in the Playstation platform.

I've been playing some GZ, and noticed a weird bug in my bios (probably) that was CPU bottlenecking my system hard. Some of those tapes are uh...

If anyone's interested
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Street Fighter V

Street Fighter V streams of Beta players and a few Asian events that feature Claw.

Claw sucks, no one cares about the claw.

Hektor

My naked Snake belongs to me.

naked_snake_smiling_by_solidcal-d53olm6.png

I can't wait to play Phantom Pain with zero financial risk through family sharing. Based Valve.

Literally killing videogames.

I'll summarize the pending MGS5 review thread:

-hype
-someone breaks embargo
-someone complains there's a spoiler from one of the publications, either in the form of an header image or in the first paragraph
-900 posts on it being a spoiler or not
-reviews start coming in, at this point based on the score:
-95+ review score - "why not perfect?"
-86-94 - "does his reviewer have something against Kojima?"
-85 - "did this reviewer even play MGS games before this?" - cue 300 posts where they internet detective said reviewer's previous reviews and twitter
-81-84 - "I bet Konami had something to do with it so they didn't have to pay out metacritic bonuses"
-less than 80 - SCRUTINIZE EVERY CRITICISM AND RAIL AGAINST IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT ALIGN WITH MY VIEWS

Im going to stay the hell away from it.

Tizoc

Phantom Pain review thread will be glorious. I'd guess it will be similar to the Uncharted 3 thread, even though it's not a Playstation exclusive. Everyone knows that MGS series belongs in the Playstation platform.

I've been playing some GZ, and noticed a weird bug in my bios (probably) that was CPU bottlenecking my system hard. Some of those tapes are uh...

Claw sucks, no one cares about the claw.
•blocked from future giveaways and the grace of crom•

Because they have money to spend, I think.
That's a garbage demographic targeting strategy.

They might have trash internet or no PC at all.
Trash LAN? Nah. Besides, I find it hard to believe a person without prior PC experience would make Steam Machine as his/her first choice.

Steam Link is mainly for in-home streaming, no? While Steam Machines are meant as main gaming systems - comfy couch type.
Steam Link accomplishes the same thing, except it's also compatible with non-Linux games.

Trash LAN? Nah. Besides, I find it hard to believe a person without prior PC experience would make Steam Machine as his/her first choice.

That's kind of the point of Steam Machines no? Entry level all in one PC's for people with no PC experience, it's the gateway rig between consoles and a full blown PC.

sheaaaa

MGS V is $84 Singapore dollars on Steam, no thanks. Apologies if this has been asked repeatedly but where's the cheapest I can get it online?

FloatOn

I'm completely disinterested in phantom pain. I tuned the franchise out after mgs2. That said, I hope the game lives up to everyone that wants to play it expectations.

That's kind of the point of Steam Machines no? Entry level all in one PC's for people with no PC experience, it's the gateway rig between consoles and a full blown PC.
Entry level PC that plays a limited selection of third party games and some PC exclusives, most likely less cost efficient than consoles, and less useful as a work machine than regular PCs.

Why not use that money to build a PC, then throw in some more to get a Steam Link?

Entry level PC that plays a limited selection of third party games and some PC exclusives, most likely less cost efficient than consoles, and less useful as a work machine than regular PCs.

Why not use that money to build a PC, then throw in some more to get a Steam Link?

That's all too complicated for the target audience of a Steam machine, it's the same question as to why someone would buy a console as opposed to a PC when the PC is far more capable and can play more games. There is no "PC box" that mom or grandma can buy for little Johnny for Christmas so the Steam machine is trying to fill that void. I mean you can buy an Alienware Alpha for like $400-$500 at Walmart right next to a PS4 or Xbox One. It's about simplicity more than anything, at least that's my take on it.

No. Aoi-sama.

Been playing Dishonored and I'm feeling underwhelmed. I hate it when stealth games make the stealth a con and not a pro, it's just too easy to kill everyone (on normal difficulty).
In MGS this is not a problem as it's annoying to wait for the alert to go away so you try to stay hidden.
What makes it worse is that killing people effects the ending and all the damn skills relate to killing so its boring to plqy stealth

That's all too complicated for the target audience of a Steam machine, it's the same question as to why someone would buy a console as opposed to a PC when the PC is far more capable and can play more games. There is no "PC box" that mom or grandma can buy for little Johnny for Christmas so the Steam machine is trying to fill that void. I mean you can buy an Alienware Alpha for like $400-$500 at Walmart right next to a PS4 or Xbox One. It's about simplicity more than anything, at least that's my take on it.
What you are describing is people who know very little about PC gaming, yet have knowledge of some niche PC exclusives that have Linux ports, and want them enough to spend a few hundred bucks just to play them. Not-tech-savvy people already have consoles, it's a rather small void Valve is trying to fill.

What you are describing is people who know very little about PC gaming, yet have knowledge of some niche PC exclusives that have Linux ports, and want them enough to spend a few hundred bucks just to play them. Not-tech-savvy people already have consoles, it's a rather small void Valve is trying to fill.

The only Steam Machine currently on the market is the Alienware Alpha which has Windows 8.1/10 installed, so the game problem isn't there at the moment. It will be interesting to see which of the upcoming Steam machines actually use Steam OS, because as you said the majority of people don't know that you can't play every game on Linux.

The only Steam Machine currently on the market is the Alienware Alpha which has Windows 8.1/10 installed, so the game problem isn't there at the moment. It will be interesting to see which of the upcoming Steam machines actually use Steam OS, because as you said the majority of people don't know that you can't play every game on Linux.
Huh, I thought one needs to use SteamOS to be called a Steam Machine. So they're just pre-built HTPCs with gaming capabilities.

Unless Until Dawn gets ravaged tomorrow I'm definitely grabbing it. The impressions of the butterfly effect are really promising, sure you have the massive differences like people being alive or dead at the end but apparently relationships will change based on how you act. If it it really is that involved it sounds like everything I've ever wanted from the genre.

Backlogger

If someone that wasn't a PC gamer wanted to get into gaming I would not recommend a Steam Machine over a console because I know I wouldn't be doing them any favors. I would explain to them the differences between PC and console gaming and if they seemed up to going the PC route I would recommend they build a PC rather than buy one outright. If they didn't want to build one I would recommend they purchase a pre-built gaming rig, not a Steam Machine.

Huh, I thought one needs to use SteamOS to be called a Steam Machine. So they're just pre-built HTPCs with gaming capabilities.

I'm not sure if that's a requirement to be called a Steam machine or not, but yeah it's more or less a HTPC with gaming capabilities, I think the Alpha has it's own front end that sort of simulates the Steam OS big picture mode too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Regarding last night's discussion about Until Dawn... Eh, its actually looking good imo. Dusk Golem post on it pretty much sold me.

Oh my, keep in mind all I played was a 20 minute demo last year though. But what I played was much better than I had initially expected, despite being one of the people who's been checking in on the game every once in a while since it was announced to see if any word had crept up during the years they went super quiet on the project.

I know someone with the full version of the game is really enjoying it though, and I feel the game will hit well with its target demographic, which happens to include me most certainly as I'm quite a fan of these recent narrative driven choice games, and obviously I love horror, so I'm kind of in the ideal to like this type of game.

This said, a few things surprised me from what I played and what I know. From what I played, what surprised me from the 20 minute segment I played was the classic survival-horror feeling, the fixed camera angles, jump scares, light puzzles, key collecting, picking up and reading notes, and the way they used those camera angles to focus on specific things or slowly reveal something, along with interesting things in the environment, gave it something of an older horror game vibe. And something I have been guessing for ages seems to be true from what my friend has confirmed for me, I was almost 100% sure the 'Slasher' look for the game was just the game's 'surface' appearance and there was much more going on, since even in the demo there were things that didn't add up if it was a straight-up slasher story, there were hints of paranormal going on's and some deeper psychological story, and it seems like my guess wasn't far off the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom