• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
NeoGAF_logo.png

tumblr_ntka2n01yH1se6ntfo1_540.png

Salsa

honestly im banking more on the people on GAF who played the game and say its decent than the glowing day 1 same ol reviews

not to be negative but a couple people there are very specific about what type of game it is and what it lacks and I can see where theyre coming from if that is indeed the case

we'll see

Salsa

"bad" stuff reviews and impressions openly confirm btw:

2 areas

scarce story

grinding. replaying missions to unlock late game stuff

we gon get peace walker'd

Salsa

important chunks of story told by big amounts of audiolog/cassette tapes scattered in the open world :/:/:/:/

im here to debbie down bby

still hype tho

Jawmuncher

"bad" stuff reviews and impressions openly confirm btw:

2 areas

scarce story

grinding. replaying missions to unlock late game stuff

we gon get peace walker'd

Depends on you definition, it's there just not in the usual MGS format.
A great deal of the plot is told through optional cassette tapes that you can play any time, even when you’re on a mission. These tapes have replaced the CODEC system, which is yet another welcome change, because listening to expository dialogue is wayyyy more palatable when you can do other stuff at the same time. This is where Kiefer Sutherland (the new Snake, replacing David Hayter) gets most of his lines, oddly

important chunks of story told by big amounts of audiolog/cassette tapes scattered in the open world :/:/:/:/

im here to debbie down bby

still hype tho

Yeah one thing I am hearing that I don't like, oh well though. However as above that doesn't really facilitate a "scarce story". Especially since some other reviews are saying the opposite.

Is it Tuesday someplace on earth?

wut

You're doing business like a coke dealer? Never take your own stuff

Why take a code for yourself when you get get $40 for it from someone else.

$40 free money > MGSV for yourself.

Wake me when their's David Hayter VA DLC, cause I cannot stand Keifer as "Big Boss" from the intro to GZ alone.

Haunted

honestly im banking more on the people on GAF who played the game and say its decent than the glowing day 1 same ol reviews

not to be negative but a couple people there are very specific about what type of game it is and what it lacks and I can see where theyre coming from if that is indeed the case

we'll see
Didn't work with MGS4. Many GAFers liked it and it had an insanely good critical reception.

yet the game was shit

edit: the serious answer is of course to listen to the people you trust (on GAF or real life) and try it out for yourself if possible

I think the problem about that is, that it is hard to concentrate while playing. Every time a game offers those tapes, that you can listen to while playing, I have to stop to actually concentrate on what they are saying.

Salsa

Didn't work with MGS4. Many GAFers liked it and it had an insanely good critical reception.

yet the game was shit

edit: the serious answer is of course to listen to the people you trust (on GAF or real life) and try it out for yourself if possible

thats kind of my point here tho; most people on the reviews thread who played it dont seem to be on par with the glowing reviews

MUnited83

For you.

yet the game was shit

MGS4 was awesome though.

Anastasia

Is it that there's a sparse story, or that there just aren't super long cutscenes laying everything out for you?

I'm not against having to collect tapes; in a way I think it fits the open-world design of the game more.

Salsa

also on codec comparison against tapes; these things are scattered. you gotta find them, it aint the same

Gametrailers: "Phantom Pain expects the player to dig in to get the most out of the story. Dozen and dozen of cassette tapes slowly acquired throughout the game fill in vital gaps. They're so important that it's hard getting the full picture without them."

I just never liked this design decision in any game at all is all, I think its crap

Jawmuncher

Is it that there's a sparse story, or that there just aren't super long cutscenes laying everything out for you?

I'm not against having to collect tapes; in a way I think it fits the open-world design of the game more.

The other reviews are saying it's the former. There's a lot of story there, but it's tied to cassette tapes this time around. Guess it was the way to make it more acceptable to new players, who just want in on the gameplay. While the fans will more than likely dig through the stuff.

also on codec comparison against tapes; these things are scattered. you gotta find them, it aint the same

Gametrailers: "Phantom Pain expects the player to dig in to get the most out of the story. Dozen and dozen of cassette tapes slowly acquired throughout the game fill in vital gaps. They're so important that it's hard getting the full picture without them."

I just never liked this design decision in any game at all is all, I think its crap

Yeah i'm finding it a odd change of pace for the series. Not enough to prevent me from enjoying the game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom