• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
also on codec comparison against tapes; these things are scattered. you gotta find them, it aint the same

Gametrailers: "Phantom Pain expects the player to dig in to get the most out of the story. Dozen and dozen of cassette tapes slowly acquired throughout the game fill in vital gaps. They're so important that it's hard getting the full picture without them."

I just never liked this design decision in any game at all is all, I think its crap

But then you get a moment of quiet introspective after finding out a an important bit of story, a moment that lasts a natural amount of time based on where you are physically and mentally.

Nzyme32

also on codec comparison against tapes; these things are scattered. you gotta find them, it aint the same

Gametrailers: "Phantom Pain expects the player to dig in to get the most out of the story. Dozen and dozen of cassette tapes slowly acquired throughout the game fill in vital gaps. They're so important that it's hard getting the full picture without them."

I just never liked this design decision in any game at all is all, I think its crap

Really? The reviews seem to suggest you get them over time (similar to Peace Walker), not that they are scattered and have to be found. I prefer this system over the usual codec wank or jarring hard cuts into cutscenes with a preamble to tell you "hey hey hey, here comes the exposition". In an open world game with a seemingly almost silent protagonist and freedom to do the missions you want when you want, going through some of the exposition at your own pace seems like a good idea

yuraya

id make the comparison if reviews and impressions werent mentioning it as a substitute for cutscenes and other exposition

I mean previous MGS games had both

The game is massive tho. Its not like the past. People are saying they played MGSV for over 50 hours and only have like 50% completion rate. You don't think Kojima gonna make 20 hours of cutscenes? Tapes and logs will contain the majority of the game's dialogue just like codec convos contained in the past games. Its the same thing just now its more convenient as you can listen to that stuff while playing instead of pausing.

It irks me that my Binary Domain review is not getting uploaded to Steam. Even sent a Support Ticket to solve this. 5100 characters but I saw similar length reviews, so that can't be the problem.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All MGS stories are some degree of gibberish that require reading a wiki to fill in blanks so I think the same solution will work just fine for me here.

Beat The Four Kings in Dark Souls. Something about not being able to see shit that made the fight really uneasy. Took me twice because I didn't realize I was trying to melee too far away.

Also....58 hours into Dark Souls and I finally have my DSFix settings looking really good.

Only 2 maps?

GTA5 only had 1 map.

#rekt

Truth Bombs.

Shame I got around playing Space Marine so late today. Was a very fun 1 hour. The ultra-hammer is definitely something.

MuYd8kI.gif

Sch1sm

Eh, not like $20 off was a no-brainer.
I said $30 or less, prefer $25 or less, I'm sticking to that.
I'm pretty sure I'll see a deal for that price by the end of 2015.

I meant more now, before release. It'll obviously drop after, always does. I'm in the same position as you. < $25 is ideal, less being an immediate bite on it.

Anastasia

The other reviews are saying it's the former. There's a lot of story there, but it's tied to cassette tapes this time around. Guess it was the way to make it more acceptable to new players, who just want in on the gameplay. While the fans will more than likely dig through the stuff.

Yeah i'm finding it a odd change of pace for the series. Not enough to prevent me from enjoying the game though.

Honestly I'm just going to wait until I have the game in my hands. I could see it going either way for me with the tapes. I'm not expecting a cinematic thrill ride like the previous games were. This is going to be a different kind of experience, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

AHA-Lambda

"bad" stuff reviews and impressions openly confirm btw:

2 areas

scarce story

grinding. replaying missions to unlock late game stuff

we gon get peace walker'd

God fucking dammit >_<

Cassette tapes is not storytelling, that's grumpier card bullshit.
It's not storytelling, it's the game giving you a book to read while its trying to do something else.

Game will be great but I was afraid of this :/

Dsyndrome

If the game's like what's described (story's all audiotapes, most like Peacewalker and not like MGS 4), I have no problem waiting until the holidays/later. Hope there's some kind of Bernardo-type discount by Christmas-time on PC.

Audiotapes are one step above Destiny-type bullshit. I want the story integrated in and not have vital parts missable.

zkylon

zkylewd
Beat The Four Kings in Dark Souls. Something about not being able to see shit that made the fight really uneasy. Took me twice because I didn't realize I was trying to melee too far away.

Also....58 hours into Dark Souls and I finally have my DSFix settings looking really good.

i hate four kings, all my dark souls replays end on four kings lol

not much ppl to summon there either

Annubis

i hate four kings, all my dark souls replays end on four kings lol

not much ppl to summon there either

I had zero trouble and got it on the first try =/
Just go full offense; they are pretty squishy individually as opposed to almost every other boss.

I went with melee/sorc and it worked pretty great once I knew what I was doing. Crystal Homing Soulmass OP.

...Now I need to figure out why I can't make any Occult weapons and head to the Crypts.

Annubis

I was agi with a bleed katana.
Not optimal at all but it still worked out alright.
Managed to finish the game and kill everything named.

Dsyndrome

I was agi with a bleed katana.
Not optimal at all but it still worked out alright.
Managed to finish the game and kill everything named.

Once I got Quelaag's Furysword, I never touched another weapon. Definitely farmed rats more than fighting any other enemy in the game because of it, though.

Grief.exe

I just run in and melee the Four Kings to death. Don't bother blocking, heal when necessary. Works every time for me.

If you're not dodging than you are likely massively over leveled.

My advice is to go purely two handed, but Power Within and lighting or fire buffs help. Time their attacks to dodge behind them when they are striking and roll away when they are going to explode.

If you're not dodging than you are likely massively over leveled.

My advice is to go purely two handed, but Power Within and lighting or fire buffs help. Time their attacks to dodge behind them when they are striking and roll away when they are going to explode.

Probably, I think I was between 60 and 70 for it first time and 101 in NG+.

It is generally easiest to have their attacks miss if you are hugging them. They kinda fail at tracking and lining their swipes up at that range.

All you really need to do is throw on some really heavy armor so you can take some damage and tank the shit out of them.

Last time I played through, I was not tanking at all normally, playing my default dodge roll glass cannon type agility build and when I hit the four kings, I threw on the stone armor set and tanked them into oblivion.

Annubis

Dodging works well enough usually for bosses (although I sucked ass at it). The one fight where I'd say a shield is really needed is Knight of Artorias.

Dodging works well enough usually for bosses (although I sucked ass at it). The one fight where I'd say a shield is really needed is Knight of Artorias.

Oh, I normally roll with a shield too, to protect from bullshit hits and allow me to shift positions and patterns.

The DLC bosses were a kick in the nuts tho... Manus was the bane of my existence for a good while.

Bloodborne with the lack of shields has been fun, but also an adjustment at the same time.

--

Speaking of PS4 type stuff -- I had to fix one of the shoulder buttons in my original DS4... I never used the touchpad much, especially since I relied on the Scarlet Crush Productions drivers/solution for DS3 & DS4 for the longest time... I just figured I hadn't configured something correctly with DS4windows... but when I used my dedicated PS4 DS4 as a control experiment, it works fine with DS4Windows. This leads me to believe something's wrong with my touchpad in the original DS4 used with PC... but I've taken it apart again and checked the ribbon cable and it seems fine -- is there any way this might NOT be just "defective hardware" now?

DLC bosses are pretty good practice for rolling/dodging since they are pretty aggressive.

Oh, I normally roll with a shield too, to protect from bullshit hits and allow me to shift positions and patterns.

The DLC bosses were a kick in the nuts tho... Manus was the bane of my existence for a good while.

Manus sucks.

DLC bosses are pretty good practice for rolling/dodging since they are pretty aggressive.

Manus sucks.

I took out Khalameet without taking damage, I think... I had to figure a few things out and it took a ton of tries, but he was nothing compared to Manus -- Manus was a dick before he got his health down to trigger the second phase with the dark magic attacks... learning that timing and how to deal with those via pendant usage... my word.

pahamrick

So if anyone was looking forward to the FOB system in MGSV, here's another reason to wait for a sale if you didn't get a free copy from Nvidia.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5s-online-pvp-mode-locked-behind-/1100-6429981/
In The Phantom Pain, players use various resources acquired within the game to facilitate the construction of an off-shore base, but in order to participate in the online multiplayer mode, where players attack each other's bases, they must first use real-world money to purchase MB Coins. MB Coins are then used to purchase open water in the game to make space for a PVP-dedicated base. This was discovered during GameSpot's review process for The Phantom Pain, but without online functionality, we couldn't determine the cost of MB Coins, or fully evaluate F.O.B. mode.

dot

Manus sucks.

Good thing i had you and Sif to help me out, lol. ;-;

I took out Khalameet without taking damage, I think... I had to figure a few things out and it took a ton of tries, but he was nothing compared to Manus -- Manus was a dick before he got his health down to trigger the second phase with the dark magic attacks... learning that timing and how to deal with those via pendant usage... my word.

No damage?
p4MM4gR.gif

Deitus

So if anyone was looking forward to the FOB system in MGSV, here's another reason to wait for a sale if you didn't get a free copy from Nvidia.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5s-online-pvp-mode-locked-behind-/1100-6429981/

It doesn't seem they are restricted to microtransactions only. From the other thread:

Pretty sure this is a misunderstanding, Ken mentions they can be earned from singleplayer missions, unless he's talking about something else here:

https://twitter.com/Ken1555/status/630571490786717697

I really have a hard time believing the mode requires you to pay. I do believe MB Coins are purchasable with real currency though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom