• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Differing course loads I suppose, definitely more time to game than the year I worked 60-70 hour weeks at a machine shop. By the time I got off a 12 hour night shift I didn't want to do anything :p

I like Lightning trilogy better >_>

Type-0 Sequel without underpowered handheld in scope of development have potential though

Disagree entirely. XIII itself was better than any FF since the PSone era.
Is Type-0 better than XIII? I can't say yet, as I haven't played it... but I'm willing to bet the answer is a solid "no."

Well to be honest, I've only played 2/3 of XIII, and I'm still at the beginning of Type-0. I dropped it at the chapter 13 or so, and I've already stated it here numerous time why I hate it.

Anyway, welcome back PetriP-TNT~

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Wn18WL0.jpg

The Universim

3mbhVN7.jpg

Hard to Be a God

DJIPjII.jpg

A Stroke of Fate: Operation Bunker

hU4Pj7s.jpg

Rememoried

Arthea

for several pages I was sure I'm in the MGS thread, but then I've seen lashman's post, so it must be a steam thread after all.

wanna know about Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered? Of course you don't, but I'll tell anyway.

What actually is a remaster? It can be an engine change, graphical overhaul of a game, it can be gameplay changes, when I think about it, we don't really have a clear definition of what a remaster is. So why do I feel that Letter Quest is not Remastered? Who knows?
It plays as original Letter Quest, I don't see any difference in appearance either, if there is one it's too subtle for me to notice, only difference that I can see is an endless mode, now that one could have been easily added to an original game as dlc, as it have been made later. I tried that endless mode, it's kinda harsh, feels like roguelitelike more or less.
Or I am missing something and it is a remaster.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
for several pages I was sure I'm in the MGS thread, but then I've seen lashman's post, so it must be a steam thread after all.

wanna know about Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered? Of course you don't, but I'll tell anyway.

What actually is a remaster? It can be an engine change, graphical overhaul of a game, it can be gameplay changes, when I think about it, we don't really have a clear definition of what a remaster is. So why do I feel that Letter Quest is not Remastered? Who knows?
It plays as original Letter Quest, I don't see any difference in appearance either, if there is one it's too subtle for me to notice, only difference that I can see is an endless mode, now that one could have been easily added to an original game as dlc, as it have been made later. I tried that endless mode, it's kinda harsh, feels like roguelitelike more or less.
Or I am missing something and it is a remaster.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/328730/announcements/detail/79162120411340444

Arthea

JaseC

what that has to do with anything? I've played a game, these are my impressions, you know about games being played, don't you?

I kid, I kid, of course you don't

You said the only difference you noticed is the new mode, but there's more to it than that.

Arthea

Man Puncher? rather Eyeballs Puncher, am I right?

In other news, ManaCollect doesn't support mouse at all, that's disappointment of a month right there folks.

JaseC

maybe there is, maybe there isn't, I couldn't notice and that what I was trying to tell.

Well, you ended your post by asking if you were "missing something", which you were. Whether or not the game is worthy of the "remaster" moniker is a tangential debate. Personally, I think remasters are better suited for platforms with limited lifecycles (i.e. consoles). A port of The Last of Us from the PS3 to the PS4 makes sense, but if it were on the PC, I'd say a patch would be more appropriate. The +1s are nice and all, but speaking objectively, save the re-releases for remakes.

Knurek

Damn, 970 might be 3 times more powerful than my old 750TI, but hot damn, does it get loud on load.
I was Inquisitioning Dragon Ages yesterday, late at night (11 pm or so) and after an hour of gameplay I had both CPU and GPU at 80C (despite not going over 75% GPU usage).
My wife came over and asked WTH am I vacuuming so late at night.

I guess I need a case with better airflow (a case fan would be a plus as well) - it seems the excess heat just isn't being dissipated correctly. :\

Had no problems like that with old GPU, which even under load was quieter than the CPU fan. The gains in framerate/IQ are nice, no doubt about it, but... well. I wish NVIDIA made a card as fast as 970/980 and as quiet as 750 TI.

Arthea

Well, you ended your post by asking if you "missing something", which you were.

not saying I didn't or anything

we can continue like this forever, can't we? what a delightful thought

don't get me wrong, I still got addicted to Letter Quest right away, I wouldn't have ever replayed that game if not this remaster, I'm not complaining, just reflecting.

otoh ManaCollect ... why oh why anybody would think it's good idea not to have mouse controls in a game like this, WHY?

Damn, 970 might be 3 times more powerful than my old 750TI, but hot damn, does it get loud on load.
I was Inquisitioning Dragon Ages yesterday, late at night (11 pm or so) and after an hour of gameplay I had both CPU and GPU at 80C (despite not going over 75% GPU usage).

I guess I need a case with better airflow (a case fan would be a plus as well) - it seems the excess heat just isn't being dissipated correctly. :\

Had no problems like that with old GPU, which even under load was quieter than the CPU fan. The gains in framerate/IQ are nice, no doubt about it, but... well. I wish NVIDIA made a card as fast as 970/980 and as quiet as 750 TI.

There is a better and cheaper solution? Like you know, actually sleeping at night?

you kinda make me glad I couldn't afford 970 or 980 and I thank you for this.

JaseC

not saying I didn't or anything

we can continue like this forever, can't we? what a delightful thought?

And I'm not saying you did. This discussion kicked off because you were under the impression that my link was irrelevant; the intention was to clarify that there is indeed more to the re-release than just a new mode. If you'd just said, say, "Oh, well most of that went unnoticed by me, so I don't think the changes are significant enough to warrant a re-release", that would have been the extent of our back-and-forth. ;)

Arthea

And I'm not saying you did. This discussion kicked off because you were under the impression that my link was irrelevant; the intention was to clarify that there is indeed more to the re-release than just a new mode. If you'd just said, say, "Oh, well most of that went unnoticed by me, so I don't think the changes are significant enough to warrant a re-release", that would have been the extent of our back-and-forth. ;)

I appreciate that, but as with those screens with slightly different settings that Doggie used to post and insist that one of those looked heaps better, if I can't see it, I can't say I see.

Trying for too days to buy a second copy of Methal Gear Solid from Bernando, but senpai won't notice me :,(

It's because you don't play Fairy Fencer, it's hard to notice people that don't play it.

fertygo

There's nothing worrying about that number of GPU heat, the procie on other hand..

Chariot

It's because you don't play Fairy Fencer, it's hard to notice people that don't play it.
I feel very sorry about that, but it released at a really bad time just before my vacation and MGSV release. Gotta try to 100% GZ and as you know my score, you know it takes some time to do that.

But I at least bought it.

Arthea

There's nothing worrying about that number of GPU heat, the procie on other hand..

it's plenty worrying, trust me on this

I'm assuming it's ps3 levels (or my laptop) levels of jet taking off.

actually now when you mention it, I thought my PS3 is loud, but when I complain about it, I always get talked down that it's my PS3 is faulty and usually they are silent. It actually is much less loud if you don't buy games on bluerays but only digital, as expected.

I feel very sorry about that, but it released at a really bad time just before my vacation and MGSV release. Gotta try to 100% GZ and as you know my score, you know it takes some time to do that.

But I at least bought it.

you are good people, I'm just kidding, no worries

This fafsa money is going to buy me a rig and i cant wait for The Witcher 3 to fuck up my life. I cant fucking wait to play it. The first two are some of my favorite games.
Breh, totally do that, except the part about the witcher 3. Youre grades will plummet, witcher 3 is godly, wait till thanksgiving break and THEN lose yourself in the witcher. Itll be hard to do, but it must be done. I actually bought my pc first year of college with dat sweet fasfa money, i dont get that anymore tho, part time student now, got to pay like $2k every god damn semester, that dont even include the bs price from the textbooks

JaseC

I appreciate that, but as with those screens with slightly different settings that Doggie used to post and insist that one of those looked heaps better, if I can't see it, I can't say I see.

My point wasn't "You're wrong. Here's what different", it's "In response to your question, here's what's different".

Dr Dogg

Yeah let's be honest here that isn't happening on a card that is air cooled unless the die is flipping massive, requires less volts to run at the same frequencies you get now and has an incredible efficient heatsink with some rather large fans. Well unless you know how to bend the laws of physics. If you want silence and performance at the same time then you need to upgrade your cooling solution to at least rudimentary water cooling. EVGA do these which are, as the name implies, a hybrid solution where they are both air and water cooled.

Which you can also buy the cooler separately if you so wish but fitting I think is for reference PCB layouts only. AMD has done a couple of cards like this too with the 295X, Fury X and that bonkers ARES II card which started it all.

Dr Dogg

Well thank god it doesn't, imagine all the anime gif sigs here.

One of the Achievement/Trophy sites let's you stack multiple images in their sigs and boy do the peeps there go overboard. Fucking nightmare to read and you can't turn them off if you're not a member.

Arthea

This should make munchie pretty happy, there is a sequel to Without Within on greenlight - Without Within 2, not free to play this time, tho

and there is rather nice looking ARPG (beat'em up?) on greenligjht - River City Ransom: Underground

Well thank god it doesn't, imagine all the anime gif sigs here.

one of the best things about gaf is no signature policy, much appreciated

Dr Dogg

and there is rather nice looking ARPG (beat'em up?) on greenligjht - River City Ransom: Underground

Didn't this get kickstartered like ages ago?

And come on surely you know of the NES classic River City Ransom? Can't for the life of me think what it was called over here though but something goofy and no where near as cool.

Arthea

Didn't this get kickstartered like ages ago?

And come on surely you know of the NES classic River City Ransom?

I thought the name is familiar.... but I can't really remember it, I'm very sorry

too many games and I have only that much of memory cells and they are slowly dying already

edited: I just checked, it was Street Gangs for us, no wonder I couldn't put a finger on that River City Ransom name

PARANO1A

I'm so bored of starting / stopping games. I started a necromancer in Torchlight 2 (modded of course) and it felt great until I hit my 'why am I doing this?' phase after only a few hours.

I read this and thought of Steamgaf.

Hey SteamGAF!
Been a while...

Have MGS:TPP preordered. Since there's no preorder and unlock will happen on Aug 31 14:00 CET, how do I ensure it starts downloading immediately? I'm at work that day until 17.00h :/
Just leave my PC with Steam opened on and that's it? Or do I have to do something remotely?

Nzyme32

Hey SteamGAF!
Been a while...

Have MGS:TPP preordered. Since there's no preorder and unlock will happen on Aug 31 14:00 CET, how do I ensure it starts downloading immediately? I'm at work that day until 17.00h :/
Just leave my PC with Steam opened on and that's it? Or do I have to do something remotely?

IIRC, I haven't been able to get preloading / downloading to work remotely via the old Steam mobile app for newly released games - but now that there is a new app, I haven't actually tried it with the updated app. I hope it works

IIRC, I haven't been able to get preloading / downloading to work remotely via the old Steam mobile app for newly released games - but now that there is a new app, I haven't actually tried it with the updated app. I hope it works
So you do need to use an app for this? So I just turn on the app at 14.01h, go to my library and MGS:TPP will be there with an option to "download" or something?
Sorry for asking potentially "dumb" questions but I never done this before and...and...it's MGS, man. You know... :/

So you do need to use an app for this? So I just turn on the app at 14.01h, go to my library and MGS:TPP will be there with an option to "download" or something?
Sorry for asking potentially "dumb" questions but I never done this before and...and...it's MGS, man. You know... :/

You don't need to use the app, you can do the same thing from the desktop client.

JaseC

You can initiate the pre-load from your Steam Community games list. Well, there was an oversight where the remote install button wouldn't appear for pre-loadable games until you restarted the client, but I assume this has been fixed in the three-and-a-bit years since Valve launched the feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom