• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Isn't something better to wait for release date and read reviews?

Steam refunds are good and all, but I won't rely too much on it.
Jesus no, nobody should wait for reviews, they don't mean shit.
Here's the reasons to preorder it:
Its fucking MGSV. Its not a game people wait for reviews for (they shouldn't with any game really). People want to play this day one regardless. Preorder and preload is useful to that. If someone wants to play it day one there's no reason to not preorder.
Plus cool preorder incentives instead of the nothing you would get by waiting for crappy reviews and getting spoiled all over the web in the meanwhile.
Its also bound to be a good port.
Steam refunds.

Hell, it doesn't even make sense to wait for release date and reviews because of the following :

Game is good? If you preordered, awesome, you got a nice deal with bonuses. Wait? No bónus for you at all.
Game is bad? Get all your money back anyways or not spend it in the first place.
Basically, there's no reason to wait if you get it from Steam.

Dr Dogg

Let me put it this way, even if MGS V was a broken piece of shit on launch that barely functioned for anyone I'd still be buying it due to my indoctrination love of the franchise for nigh on 20 years. I have either bought or imported every Solid title and rerelease on launch and knocked them out in the preceding weekend so it's kind of like a ritual for me.

Though maybe preordering is silly, I should really be begging for a review key instead. Not that I give a monkeys what anyone does with their own money or time to be honest.

Tenrius

The more likely scenario is that she has a split personality. The game hints at this with things such as the morse code messages, the lack of evidence that there really was a second person, and so on. the only thing that could point to it being two separate persons was the tattoo (which only shows up once and the arm is covered in every video after that one) and the fast healing of the bruising.

But yeah, to me the most logical conclusion is that it was a split personality.

The whole point is how difficult it is to understand what happened. It's a murder mystery sans a simple out, which I found extremely refreshing in the long run. There are two lines of thought regarding what is really going on - one which assumes the two girls existing was true, while the other being a multiple personality syndrome theory. There is evidence to show that there may in fact have been two women the whole time, paying attention to hairstyle, how they take their coffee and a tattoo seen once. But if you pay attention to some of the interview moments, Hannah recalls growing up with TV and books and a lot of the tales spun by her and "Eve" reflect back to the folklore and shows she talks about there.

While this could just be Barlow using allusions to strengthen our understanding of the girls' story, it also allows for the distinct possibility that Hannah was mentally ill and crafted the entire lie out of things she remembered from her youth. It is in the implausibility of the two-sister situation where the idea for this theory comes to fruition for most, which I feel was fully intentional.

As Hannah taunts the police, waving farewell to "Eve", perhaps her birth name, it can be seen as either Hannah standing triumphantly over the cops while her twin sister gets away with murder, or a mentally unstable individual thinking she's pulled the wool over their eyes. Her saying goodbye, then, would be her locking away that personality and letting the Hannah part of herself become the main personality, which she could see as getting away with murder... before they probably locked her away.

i mean, maybe the game looks good but u took pretty bad screenies :p

yea i think being stuck on those things is kind of missing the point

it's less of a murder mystery and more of a psychological thriller

also
a running theory (at least the conclusion i got and some other ppl shared) is that it's a classic case of split personality. i duno as a result of what, but considering how far fetched the secret twins thing is and how there are many recounts of the murder and lots of weird inconsistencies and random bursts into song, that's what i was got from the game.

still leaves lots of questions unanswered but i found it mostly satisfying, tho the tattoo thing still throws me off since i can never remember if it's still there after the date (which could rule the whole schizo theory off)

all my well earned victories are there i hope

Hmm, I actually missed some of those things. I ended up ruling out the dual personality theory though because of the hair, the bruise, the tattoo etc and those stories about hurting each other. The tattoo and the bruise could be fake or someone, but that wouldn't make much sense because it would mean Hannah deliberately making us believe that there were two different people — which would require realizing that that wasn't actually true. That's another possibility I guess?

I understand that the point is how hard it is to figure everything out, but I had the impression that there was nothing really left to figure out, because some essential information is lacking, so getting the full picture is all but impossible. Now that's appropriate in a fantasy setting like Dark Souls or LotR (as experienced without reading Silmarillion), but it felt weird in this game. Maybe I'm not that tired of traditional mysteries yet.

As for the game being a psychological thriller — well, I more or less figured most of it out from the very beginning, so the rest of the time was spent discovering finer details, finding answers to some less important questions

Fascinating game, anyway. The search engine thing is pretty much flawless.

pre ordering is stupid , unless its free or %50-60 off

i'd normally agree but with Metal Gear, it's all about not getting spoiled. The storylines are partly why I push forward through those games so not getting the game on day one leaves me open to being spoiled, and i just can't let the last real metal gear get spoiled for me.

But yeah, if i do get it it'll be for around 50% off anyhow so it wont be that bad

I don't care about MGS as the rest of you so you can stop right there with the "Well it's Metal Gear Solid" talk. I wasn't going to get it anyway. I was just saying if I was I would still wait a bit. I don't even usually get games I am interested in day 1 anymore.

Can't blame me for being cautious. And no it's not about reviews, especially from critics, in terms if it's good or not. Its whether or not it will work.

Chariot

Angela don't scare me! :p

Do buy Planetarian though!
The Supreme Chancellor supports this notion.
pHmzjyT.jpg

~24 hours left! I'm so ready
Aww yiss.

dex3108

I'll be honest Mad Max doesn't do anything for me, the trailer looked pretty bland and with some of the prerelease talk about it being this years Shadow of Mordor my interest evaporated the moment that comparison was made. I'll wait for reviews and impression from you fine folks before being tempted.

Just Cause 2 tired me out by the 4th story mission that I really need to see how the structure of that game is like before even contemplating picking it up. Also Western Squenix title so 25% off after 3 months is probably on the cards and 50-75% not long after depending on how well it does.

I said before that i think Mad Max will be solid game but not fantastic. And Just Cause is not game you play because of story. You play it to do stupid shit around huge map :D

Salsa

I wonder how many people will get MGSV without realizing they're running a 32 bit version of Windows (game requires 64bit OS)

there just has to be a bunch of people out there running that without knowing

I can already picture the steam forums thread goin "BUT IT SAYS IM RUNNING X86 THATS MORE THAN 64 KOJIMA FUCK U"

I wonder how many people will get MGSV without realizing they're running a 32 bit version of Windows (game requires 64bit OS)

there just has to be a bunch of people out there running that without knowing
My friend had that problem when he bought MKX. I mean that game ended up having way more problems than just that but yeah.

you lose NOTHING from preordering from Steam.
Except time waiting for your money to comeback.

Anteater

Let me put it this way, even if MGS V was a broken piece of shit on launch that barely functioned for anyone I'd still be buying it due to my indoctrination love of the franchise for nigh on 20 years. I have either bought or imported every Solid title and rerelease on launch and knocked them out in the preceding weekend so it's kind of like a ritual for me.

Though maybe preordering is silly, I should really be begging for a review key instead. Not that I give a monkeys what anyone does with their own money or time to be honest.

there's no way it'll be a broken piece of shit

i will gladly take another badrats if i'm wrong except i already have that game

Caerith

You shouldn't pre-order a game just because it interests you. You should pre-order on principle. Publishers need to be told that the pre-order business model works, that people want parts of the game to be tied to pre-ordering (at specific retailers, no less), and that there's a payoff to having developers spend months making unrepresentative-of-final-gameplay demos for E3. Pre-order today and show publishers that you're not interested in that QA mumbojumbo, and that the real joy of video games is in the marketing. Pre-order today, because publishers are starving and really need your money earning interest for them. Pre-order because it's the right thing to do.

zkylon

zkylewd
Silly Se7en, people don't know how to research something and form their own opinions.
i mean, i'd rather get the neogaf rundown than decifer if it's gonna be good from the steam page and steam forus

No. I was initially like that, but I gradually warmed up to it.

$15 first week, $30 later.

JRPG

http://store.steampowered.com/app/347830 Look at the trailer and decide?
tyty

sounds fabuloos

Hmm, I actually missed some of those things. I ended up ruling out the dual personality theory though because of the hair, the bruise, the tattoo etc and those stories about hurting each other. The tattoo and the bruise could be fake or someone, but that wouldn't make much sense because it would mean Hannah deliberately making us believe that there were two different people — which would require realizing that that wasn't actually true. That's another possibility I guess?

I understand that the point is how hard it is to figure everything out, but I had the impression that there was nothing really left to figure out, because some essential information is lacking, so getting the full picture is all but impossible. Now that's appropriate in a fantasy setting like Dark Souls or LotR (as experienced without reading Silmarillion), but it felt weird in this game. Maybe I'm not that tired of traditional mysteries yet.

As for the game being a psychological thriller — well, I more or less figured most of it out from the very beginning, so the rest of the time was spent discovering finer details, finding answers to some less important questions

Fascinating game, anyway. The search engine thing is pretty much flawless.

i dunno, maybe her different personalities are like costumes she wears, like the blonde wig and stuff and that extends to the bruises, tattoo, etc. there's a physical thing that accompanies the personality change, and she goes through it "deliberately", it's just part of the process of shifting personalities

also my other big theory is this being like a big con thing she created to avoid prison. just like a very elaborate insanity plead heh

Dr Dogg

I said before that i think Mad Max will be solid game but not fantastic. And Just Cause is not game you play because of story. You play it to do stupid shit around huge map :D

One thing that will be interesting to see is if Avalanche Studios can pull off releasing 2 games close together. I wonder how much of Mad Max is being done by the NY studio? I imagine they have a core technology team for engine support and what have you but games these days are made by small armies and they're teeny compared to just a Ubi Studio. Even Eidos Montreal has vastly more man power. Good luck to them though as their engine is top notch.

I receive them automatically. :)

With MGSV, I think I will receive a PS4 copy.

Gets free codes to play on or before Day 1.

Doesn't understand why people would want to buy on or before Day 1.

Except time waiting for your money to comeback.

If you pre ordered a game (i.e. paying for something that you don't have yet), you really shouldn't have a problem waiting for a refund.

And if waiting for a refund diminishes your quality of life, you probably shouldn't gambled on the pre order anyway.

all dem black bars on this page

White bars here, you monster.

If you pre ordered a game (i.e. paying for something that you don't have yet), you really shouldn't have a problem waiting for a refund.

And if waiting for a refund diminishes your quality of life, you probably shouldn't gambled on the pre order anyway.
Hey I didn't say all that. Just said it was an inconvenience. Then again I never cancelled a preorder before so I don't know how that process works. My bad.

Anteater

metaru gia's system requirements:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (2GB) or better (DirectX 11 card Required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (DirectX 11 graphic card required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Surround Sound 5.1)

AHA-Lambda

K guys, I've slogged through/endured Valdis Story (seriously I think I have chest pains after that end sequence :/)

What's next to play on my backlog? Pick between Thief 2 and Styx :p
Both very similar obviously but which first?

Dr Dogg

You shouldn't pre-order a game just because it interests you. You should pre-order on principle. Publishers need to be told that the pre-order business model works, that people want parts of the game to be tied to pre-ordering (at specific retailers, no less), and that there's a payoff to having developers spend months making unrepresentative-of-final-gameplay demos for E3. Pre-order today and show publishers that you're not interested in that QA mumbojumbo, and that the real joy of video games is in the marketing. Pre-order today, because publishers are starving and really need your money earning interest for them. Pre-order because it's the right thing to do.

It's alright I'm not preordering MGS6: The Kojimaing since it will probably be farmed out to a Western developer like say, Double Helix, Terminal Reality or someone of their ilk, to wreck like Konami did with Silent Hill. It's going to be Koji Pros swan song and no matter how much the suits want to try and fuck this franchise up I'm hoping this is the game for the series to go out on a high.

Disregard that I preordered AssCreed Syndicate though. That was the space worm that borrowed into my brain who commanded I buy it.

Uzzy

Well, it's time to install my lovely huge Noctua NH-U14S. Hopefully I won't mess up and melt the CPU, as that would be awkward.

Jawmuncher

It's alright I'm not preordering MGS6: The Kojimaing since it will probably be farmed out to a Western developer like say, Double Helix, Terminal Reality or someone of their ilk, to wreck like Konami did with Silent Hill. It's going to be Koji Pros swan song and no matter how much the suits want to try and fuck this franchise up I'm hoping this is the game for the series to go out on a high.

Disregard that I preordered AssCreed Syndicate though. That was the space worm that borrowed into my brain who commanded I buy it.

I hope so to. I need something to wash out MGS4.

Caerith

Bit of a tangent, but does anyone else think it weird that creators have no ownership of their creations in video games? I mean, if books were like video games, JK Rowling would have been fired after book three and Scholastic would have interns writing yearly Harry Potter sequels.

Arthea

durante would probably release gedosato 2.0 or something if the Gust games were released on steam

it's one of those things, that would be too good to be true
and I don't mean gedosato 2.0

I'd replay everyone of those, if on steam, good ports and running smoothly, backlog be damned.

Bit of a tangent, but does anyone else think it weird that creators have no ownership of their creations in video games? I mean, if books were like video games, JK Rowling would have been fired after book three and Scholastic would have interns writing yearly Harry Potter sequels.

it's more than weird, it makes no sense
just imagine tri-Ace having rights to VP... or SO...
or Murayama having rights to Suikoden... although he's even not making games anymore.

If they want IP rights then they could go indie. It's the same with films: studios own the IP unless you decide to go make a thing on your own. It's why people think that Fox fucked up in not getting the rights for Star Wars from Lucas. Not that he was offering them, but they're probably kicking themselves for not trying harder to get those.

Comparing it to writing is a bit disingenuous: anyone can write a book (though most shouldn't). Games (and film) are almost always a collaborative effort. the bigger the production the harder it is to retain the rights for the project, and there isn't a creator who works under the studio system who doesn't understand that tradeoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom