• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look new YT player

CLgaqnhWgAArur3.jpg:large

It's been like that for a few weeks for me, must be some sort of beta or something that I'm in. It's definitely better looking for sure.

Probably had to do with the Online stuff which they punted to Jan.

That's cool with me, I'm not super interested in MGO anyway, I wonder if Kojima Pro LA will still be around by January.

Arthea

If they want IP rights then they could go indie. It's the same with films: studios own the IP unless you decide to go make a thing on your own. It's why people think that Fox fucked up in not getting the rights for Star Wars from Lucas. Not that he was offering them, but they're probably kicking themselves for not trying harder to get those.

Comparing it to writing is a bit disingenuous: anyone can write a book (though most shouldn't). Games (and film) are almost always a collaborative effort. the bigger the production the harder it is to retain the rights for the project, and there isn't a creator who works under the studio system who doesn't understand that tradeoff

just because system works, doesn't mean its a right thing or good thing.

Collaborative efforts or not, still authors shouldn't be ones having no rights whatsoever to their work, and yes I'm talking mostly about games, although it is true not only for games but for basically every creation these days, writers included.

Arthea

? Are you serious?
Because you get all the package despite paying less? If you already own GZ there's no reason to buy the game on Steam, even if you miss GZ you can buy a Nvidia code, getting GZ cheaper in other stores, ans still paying less than 60€.
you don't get all the package, so it's not a good thing.

edited: btw BM21 got no bonuses after all, it ended already

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Working on some Idle Master updates this morning.

Should be in release 1.1, coming soon.

Jawmuncher

I feel like I've played all the eps with the spoilery discussion in here, is there not an LiS thread?

I don't think so. LiS discussion here is pretty good in terms that no one has really dropped anything big. Usually it's nothing but reactions.

just because system works, doesn't mean its a right thing or good thing.

Collaborative efforts or not, still authors shouldn't be ones having no rights whatsoever to their work, and yes I'm talking mostly about games, although it is true not only for games but for basically every creation these days, writers included.

Then the option would be to either unionize or go independent. And given how eager and willing publishers are to outsource development to regions with cheaper labor, going on strike and unionizing doesn't seem like something that's going to happen anytime soon.

EA used to have a Partners program where they would fund a studio's game but the studio kept the IP. However, they seemed to really not market these games at all, so almost every game that came out of that project bombed. I don't know if they just left the marketing to the devs or (put your tinfoil hat on) this was done intentionally so they could then acquire the rights after the fact but outside of Titanfall this program really didn't go anywhere.

But if it makes you feel better, there's never been a better time to be an indie dev. Getting console exclusive money thrown at you while you both keep the rights to you creation and can launch on other platforms is a much better scenario than having to give your IP to sony/MS or fighting to have someone at Valve help you get your game out on the platform, like how things were 5 years ago.

Working on some Idle Master updates this morning.

Should be in release 1.1, coming soon.
damn son, i dont know how you keep making idlemaster better but you do, you do.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Keep 1.1 I want that 1025 cards remaining account.

259 games?

did jasec take that screenshot

I've actually been running Idle Master on and off for weeks and just now got down to 1025 cards and 259 games remaining.

It's already paid for my Type-0 HD double-dip, will probably also pay for my copy of Zestiria.

Is there a thread for all the conferences times and links for GamesCom? I don't even know whteher it will start tomorrow or the day after.

Lomax

Bit of a tangent, but does anyone else think it weird that creators have no ownership of their creations in video games? I mean, if books were like video games, JK Rowling would have been fired after book three and Scholastic would have interns writing yearly Harry Potter sequels.

Books are almost exclusively the only situation where that is true (and even then, there are plenty of examples where it isn't). The writers or creators on movies and tv shows (which are a much closer parallel to the creation process of video games) very rarely if ever retain IP rights to their work. Joss Whedon doesn't own Buffy, JMS doesn't own Babylon 5, and so forth. IP almost always defaults to the distribution corporation. So no, it isn't weird, it's the norm.

L.O.R.D

ummm , msi is cooprating with g2a ?
g2a is doing stream and doing giveaway with msi

i am not sure if msi know that g2a is legit or not

Tecl0n

ummm , msi is cooprating with g2a ?
g2a is doing stream and doing giveaway with msi

i am not sure if msi know that g2a is legit or not

Any buy from g2a is a gamble. (One i'm willing to take cause they accept pesos). Many of these grey market sites (g2a, Kinguin, etc) have sponsors on gaming competitions, they don't care bout legit.

zkylon

zkylewd
u're yuck

never click on any black bars about life is strange here

whatever happened to your video card anyway, go play it before the internet spoil the entire thing for you

poverty happened, so i live in a constant state of "any day now..."

i should be getting some money these next few weeks but im gonna blow it on big dinner and redying my hair lol

Curiosity killed the Ahri!

i mean it wasnt even curiosity, i've been pretty ok dodging landmines so far but this one was like "ok ill just click random cheesy spoiler" for some reason

stupid brain

Uzzy

Surgery complete. My PC is now insanely quiet, and the temperature on my CPU's dropped by some 35 degrees. Lovely stuff.

Arthea

You get all the package except GZ, but you can pay 25€ less or so by buying an Nvidia code. If you want the whole package including GZ, buy it on Steam, simple.

you can't get all package if something is excluded, because when you take something out, it's already another package with less things in it.
just because you like it this way, doesn't mean that it's a good thing.

Considering GZ doesn't have cards and will sell for 5 bucks now, it's not much of a loss.

so you would refuse GZ, if retailers gave it when preodering PP, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom