• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Hello everybody!

First day of work after an awesome trip in Monk/Bernardo/Rhaknar land, and I already skipped 15 pages, hoping I didn't miss anything important in the middle of all the MGSV noise...

Anteater

Hello everybody!

First day of work after an awesome trip in Monk/Bernardo/Rhaknar land, and I already skipped 15 pages, hoping I didn't miss anything important in the middle of all the MGSV noise...

you only missed just all those giveaways my friend

Excuse me? So I shouldn't read and interpret what people actually write and/or say and instead think about what they should have said instead?

pls explain

i'm saying you should or should not think about things you've actually said

Momentary

Banned
AKSYS pls.

It's almost 2016
Stop ignoring Steam
SpiffySmoothHarborporpoise.gif

RapidPaleIcterinewarbler.gif

VastWelcomeFanworms.gif

ESPECIALLY when your new character was inspired by Strategy games (if not SRPGs :V)

Johnny, Jack-O and overall gameplay mechanics videos-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnaA8cMy2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZaiRLlMaUI

Don't do this to me bro.

Dr Dogg

OK? It's quite simple for people to do a lot of things, but you can't judge them on what they should have said or should have done, but on their actual words and deeds. It is incredibly pedantic to argue what he should have said, all we can go by is what he did say.

Maybe he is a liar or a fool and will be ashamed of his words and deeds. I, however, am focusing on what he said and not what he should have said.

What on earth are you talking about. Of course I can judge him on his communication and it's been very poor. His position is a community representative, he's meant to connect the company he works for with their potential customers. If he can't communicate in a concise and effective way then he's not doing a very import part of his job. That Resident Evil post was from Wbacon who works for Capcom who is an excellent example of connecting and interfacing with the community and his communication skills are top notch as he has managed to get the message across with no confusion at all unlike Peeler. That is far from being pedantic to at least expect the community representative to have competent communication skills now is it. Hopefully he can learn from this but if no one brings it up, criticises the way he's trying to convey a message then he's not going to see the issue and by highlighting how another company does it maybe he can improve his own communication skills.

Backlogger

Sweet, got my Mad Max pre-order key from Funstock Digital.

While the rest of you are playing the most anticipated game of the year (MSGV) I will be doing fetch quests, blowing things up and running over people in the post apocalyptic wasteland.
and praying for a good PC port

I will clearly be having more fun than any of you.

Grief.exe

Konami has been good about communicating through the Steam community hub in the past, hopefully they reach out and clarify as the release date creeps closer.

Ozium

What on earth are you talking about. Of course I can judge him on his communication and it's been very poor. His position is a community representative, he's meant to connect the company he works for with their potential customers. If he can't communicate in a concise and effective way then he's not doing a very import part of his job. That Resident Evil post was from Wbacon who works for Capcom who is an excellent example of connecting and interfacing with the community and his communication skills are top notch as he has managed to get the message across with no confusion at all unlike Peeler. That is far from being pedantic to at least expect the community representative to have competent communication skills now is it. Hopefully he can learn from this but if no one brings it up, critises the way he's trying to convey a message then he's not going to see the issue and by highlight how another company does it maybe he can improve his communication skills.

Yes you can judge him on his competency of communication skills. But what does that have to do with analyzing what he said? I can't analyze what he should have said, because he didn't say it. Do you understand this concept?

Also, if you really want to help him be a more effective communicator then you should probably let him know rather than using it as an argument as to why I am wrong on an internet forum.

Tizoc

Hello everybody!

I made a giveaway in the previous page.

Sweet, got my Mad Max pre-order key from Funstock Digital.

While the rest of you are playing the most anticipated game of the year (MSGV) I will be doing fetch quests, blowing things up and running over people in the post apocalyptic wasteland.
and praying for a good PC port

I will clearly be having more fun than any of you.

Give impressions! If possible, use a scale of 1 - Shadows of Mordor, so we can all apply are affection/disgust as needed and really know the game. For bugginess, feel free to use a scale of 1 - Arkham Knight.

As for MGSV (being played on the system it was meant to be played on), I think I'm going to prep by listening to Diamond Dogs until the game launches to let any themes or motifs sink in that might be referenced in-game. I could also be giving Kojima way too much credit on that. We'll see.

Ozium

can you use a coupon for something with a discount with it just taking it from the original price or do you have to wait until the discount is over before you can even use it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
can you use a coupon for something with a discount with it just taking it from the original price or do you have to wait until the discount is over before you can even use it?

The latter. If the restricted coupon you have offers a greater discount, Steam's checkout system should be smart enough to let you use it, but that's not the case.

Dr Dogg

Yes you can judge him on his competency of communication skills. But what does that have to do with analyzing what he said? I can't analyze what he should have said, because he didn't say it. Do you understand this concept?

Also, if you really want to help him be a more effective communicator then you should probably let him know rather than using it as an argument as to why I am wrong on an internet forum.

How on earth can I judge his ability to communicate without looking at what he said and trying to break it down? To be fair twitter is a poor means of trying to communicate but he's asked a series of questions asking for clarification and what he's said isn't as clear or concise as what other companies do. It's not rocket science now is it 'when can I play x game?' 'well potentially you can download it at one timezone but it's still available to buy in another and blah blah' instead of the game unlocks at this time. No waffle, no bringing in multiple factors like it's still available to prepurchase. Look it's pointless trying to reason with you. You seem you'd rather have an argument over semantics and this bizarre rationale about how to judge people but with no analysis though I'll take your advice and try and shoot the guy a message and see if I can't clear this whole thing up.

Anteater

lol

well played a bit of sudeki, apart from the terrible art, the actual gameplay is hella clunky too, a lot of delay and pauses with every action, like, blocking isn't even instant, I guess it's fascinating enough for me to continue

pahamrick

So is it not going to unlock in New Zealand at Midnight? Because if it still is, not like using a VPN wouldn't allow folks to get it early regardless if it doesn't unlock it for the rest of the world.

JaseC

So is it not going to unlock in New Zealand at Midnight? Because if it still is, not like using a VPN wouldn't allow folks to get it early regardless if it doesn't unlock it for the rest of the world.

Not at this stage and Peeler's tweets don't paint a clear picture as to Konami's intentions.

Dr Dogg

this is a lot of fervor for the precise launch time of a game when we all know we wont care like 5 minutes after it launches

Have you seen my broadband speed? I have no idea why I even care as it will take me nigh on 3 days to download it regardless if I can get a leg up for a couple of hours.

Ozium

How on earth can I judge his ability to communicate without looking at what he said and trying to break it down? To be fair twitter is a poor means of trying to communicate but he's asked a series of questions asking for clarification and what he's said isn't as clear or concise as what other companies do. It's not rocket science now is it 'when can I play x game?' 'well potentially you can download it at one times zone but it's still available to by in another and blah blah' instead of the game unlocks at this time. No waffle, no bringing in multiple factors like it's still available to prepurchase. Look it's pointless trying to reason with you. You seem you'd rather have an argument over semantics and this bizarre rationale about how to judge people but with you with no analysis but I'll take your advice and try and shoot the guy a message and see if I can't clear this whole thing up.

my point is that I was simply going off what he said, because I can't read his mind. rather than accepting that is what I have done, you argue that he should have worded it more succinctly and so I am somehow interpreting what he said incorrectly, but I cannot interpret what is not before me.

you went off on me for "making up times" when I was using the time he stated in his tweet, that of Midnight NZ time. Are you implying that he never said a time and I am just lying or throwing random numbers?

He asks "so if we pre purchased we can download on 8/31 provided it's Midnight in NZ" and the guy says "right, provided you pre-ordered" he does not say "potentially..." That is in answer to a different question. Why you keep inferring that he answered "potentially" to the question of "can I download this on 8/31" is mind boggling.

I guess I'm just a crazy fucking lunatic though and actually judge what people say instead of what I think they should say. Silly me.

r3n4ud

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Eradicator -- MB-5CE1516E7F597742 - Taken by drakaenae
Governer of Poker 2: Premium Edition -- MB-AB349965E1B6A246 - Taken by xGreg
Drakensang: The River of Time -- MB-EF1BBFA97EF9260A - Taken by fspm
Project Druid -- MB-AC1ADF1F152B44F4 - Taken by Chreznor
Redline -- MB-6C1A2DB9F51EDC02 - Taken by Kuroyume
Boot Hill Heroes -- MB-78BB378F05827B46 - Taken by Loptous
Poof -- MB-0BCDF36F3F075772 - Taken by Belgarion
Vox Populi Vox Dei 2 -- MB-F67FC65A8407C463 - Taken by Ozium
Seven Kingdoms 2 HD -- MB-9A7E4E1E7F5AB464 - Taken by nightstorm
Dragonshere -- MB-E742D88D93497800 - Taken by texhnolyze
18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker -- MB-9FD094F30AD0E2C5 - Taken by fuzzy123
dot

pahamrick

Wouldn't be the first time someone was wrong about an unlock time, but there will be a lot of unhappy folks bombing his twitter.

To add an addendum to this: Looks like he's used to getting bombed on twitter. Someone keeps spamming him saying he hopes that him and the rest of KJP were fired due to the MGO delay.

Dr Dogg

my point is that I was simply going off what he said, because I can't read his mind. rather than accepting that is what I have done, you argue that he should have worded it more succinctly and so I am somehow interpreting what he said incorrectly, but I cannot interpret what is not before me.

you went off on me for "making up times" when I was using the time he stated in his tweet, that of Midnight NZ time. Are you implying that he never said a time and I am just lying or throwing random numbers?

He asks "so if we pre purchased we can download on 8/31 provided it's Midnight in NZ" and the guy says "right, provided you pre-ordered" he does not say "potentially..." That is in answer to a different question. Why you keep inferring that he answered "potentially" to the question of "can I download this on 8/31" is mind boggling.

I guess I'm just a crazy fucking lunatic though and actually judge what people say instead of what I think they should say. Silly me.

Ozzie what is the exact question I asked? The one you responded to start with? It's at the top of the page. There isn't a clear answer for it simple. "Has it been confirmed that it's a universal unlock time?" and going by everything you have posted all I can conclude is no it hasn't been confirmed but by going from what Jase has stated and what's in the DB at present is that it's set to unlock at 1st September 10am PT which conflicts with everything you have posted based on Peeler's tweets.

JaseC

I've seen people say that "No pre-load for TPP is better than getting the game two weeks later" as though those are the only two possible outcomes. Even if the game data hasn't been finalised, just flip the switch three days before release and have folks download the modified data come launch day. It's not rocket surgery.

Ozium

What is so special about the Mad Max game? Is it getting good reviews? Is it by a noteworthy developer? Or is it just that it's Mad Max and that franchise is in the zeitgeist right now?

To add an addendum to this: Looks like he's used to getting bombed on twitter. Someone keeps spamming him saying he hopes that him and the rest of KJP were fired due to the MGO delay.

...who gives a shit about MGO?

I've seen people say that "No pre-load for TPP is better than getting the game two weeks later" as though those are the only two possible outcomes. Even if the game data hasn't been finalised, just flip the switch three days before release and have folks download the modified data come launch day. It's not rocket surgery.

I'd be fine with this too. Better to download ~2GB at launch instead of 28.

pahamrick

Yeah. I don't understand it either. Lots of folks are going to get stuck playing days after launch because of this and only having a retail PC copy in certain territories.

...who gives a shit about MGO?

I'd be fine with this too. Better to download ~2GB at launch instead of 28.

This guy it seems.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've seen people say that "No pre-load for TPP is better than getting the game two weeks later" as though those are the only two possible outcomes. Even if the game data hasn't been finalised, just flip the switch three days before release and have them download the modified data come launch day. It's not rocket surgery.

But it's infinitely more complicated than most people who work on these sorts of things have been able to figure out, apparently.

Also I wonder if there's some concern that the game might "leak early" if they allow a pre-load. There have been a lot of advances in this area in the past 5 or so years, and I wonder if maybe there's still a bit of old stigma that might be influencing this decision. Just a guess.

JaseC

What is so special about the Mad Max game? Is it getting good reviews? Is it by a noteworthy developer? Or is it just that it's Mad Max and that franchise is in the zeitgeist right now?

It's essentially Just Cause: Wasteland and has been getting fairly positive pre-release buzz (but then previews generally are positive).

pahamrick

But it's infinitely more complicated than most people who work on these sorts of things have been able to figure out, apparently.

Also I wonder if there's some concern that the game might "leak early" if they allow a pre-load. There have been a lot of advances in this area in the past 5 or so years, and I wonder if maybe there's still a bit of old stigma that might be influencing this decision. Just a guess.

A lot of old suits going "If they have the data early they can pirate it earlier!" despite the fact that all Steam pre-loads are encrypted?

Also wanted to toss thanks again for Idlemaster. That program & cards just bought the Pillars expansions for me.

Seeing Gears of War Ultimate gameplay footage on Gamersyde, so it can't be far off. Still no Steam page.

Don't hold your breath.

I thought Gears of War Ultimate PC was exclusive to Windows 10 store?

Why wouldn't it be?

Hm. Was kinda hoping with recent Spencer talks about PC gaming that GoW would be available on both Steam and WinStore.

SMH

No thank you VN bundle. Everything that's wrong with the genre just about in there.

Chariot will tell you that Sakura games aren't in it, meanwhile I will tell you that HB isn't in it... either way, the bundle could've had some higher profile "trash" to show everything that's wrong with the genre.

why are they skipping the preload for Steam?

Because Konami wanted to piss you off.

I edited my post immediately after seeing yours.

Edit: Err, if it's unlocking everywhere come September 1st in NZ, then how does the pre-purchase period end at 10am PT? Those two statements are at complete odds with one another.

I would assume that the game goes "live" on Steam @ whatever time in NZ -- this means anyone who has bought a copy can access it, even if the game hasn't changed over from pre-purchase to buy now on the steam page at standard Valve time?

But that's just a guess. You know more about Steam inner workings than I do.

You really should just play the WiiU version. Unless you absolutely need 1080p and 60 FPS. The game pad is a nice touch to the game.

Turn in your #PCMR badge and get the fuck out of here.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A lot of old suits going "If they have the data early they can pirate it earlier!" despite the fact that all Steam pre-loads are encrypted?

Again just a guess, but that scenario doesn't seem too far fetched.

Dr Dogg

Hey they could try that 'new' preload feature Mortal Kombat X used. That worked just fine for everyone I recall.

Turfster

Humble Humongous mobile bundle
TIER 3: 11$
  • Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo
  • Putt-Putt Joins the Circus
  • Putt-Putt Enters the Race
  • Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
  • Freddi Fish: Haunted Schoolhouse
  • Freddi Fish & the Stolen Shell
  • Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide
  • Pajama Sam Thunder & Lightning
  • + 75% off coupon off 1 Humongous Steam purchase

madjoki

Also it's not like they haven't had to make master for physical version long time ago.

Ozium

Honestly from his tweets I get this sort of vibe like "I can't flat out say that it will be released early because Konami" so he speaks in riddles. Perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part, either that or he is clueless. Regardless, if I can't download TPP until Store update on the first I am going to rage.

Metal Gear isn't just a video game. It's a lifestyle. It's an ethos. I'll be damned if I am unable to play my pachislots in Mother Base.

JaseC

I think pre-loads would be more common even among indie devs if Valve still didn't have to change release states and unlock times manually, and I find it rather odd that this and key generation are still areas that have not yet incorporated into the Steam Partners frontend (well, there is a "Request CD keys" button, but it should really be "Generate CD keys" instead).

Yeah, that wouldn't be surprising.

Edit:
I would assume that the game goes "live" on Steam @ whatever time in NZ -- this means anyone who has bought a copy can access it, even if the game hasn't changed over from pre-purchase to buy now on the steam page at standard Valve time?

But that's just a guess. You know more about Steam inner workings than I do.

Pre-order subs are replaced with their post-release equivalents when a game unlocks, plus the game is still set to unlock at 10am PT worldwide despite Peeler's tweets being almost a week old. While Valve has to adjust unlock times itself, you'd think that would have been done by now if Konami's intention is to have the game unlock in NZ first/when it's September 1st in NZ. Peeler saying the pre-purchase period runs until 10am PT + the game being set to unlock at exactly that time everywhere has me think there's been a misunderstanding on his part and New Zealand isn't the basis of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom