• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

I really don't know if it is because i didn't played CoD MP since MW2 but BO3 Beta is fun (even with gamepad). It is fast and fluid game. Only bad thing are invisible walls. Even thou you can reach some edges you are stopped by invisible wall. If you can try PC beta that starts in 2 days :D

P.S. Mad Max EULA is really long XD

http://store.steampowered.com/eula/234140_eula_0

This game connects to a third party server to validate your Steam ticket.

Denuvo confirmed! (Just like Arkham Knight, so not really surprised)

That Humongous mobile bundle is weird:
- In all previous mobile-only bundles, the minimum tier was PWYW, not $1+
- No Humble Bundle has ever held Steam keys hostage for a higher tier for games offered in the lower tier.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was test case for future larger bundles (eg. next hib). Humble has usually tested things on smaller bundles first.

I really don't know if it is because i didn't played CoD MP since MW2 but BO3 Beta is fun (even with gamepad). It is fast and fluid game. Only bad thing are invisible walls. Even thou you can reach some edges you are stopped by invisible wall. If you can try PC beta that starts in 2 days :D

P.S. Mad Max EULA is really long XD

http://store.steampowered.com/eula/234140_eula_0

If you, or anyone in your family, have an epileptic condition, consult your physician prior to playing.
And ask them what? If it is okay to play Mad Max?

Online Revalidation. This game connects to a third party server to validate your Steam ticket.
Guess this line is what matters.

dex3108

dude get yourself an avatar dex3108

If i put avatar on my profile it would be permanent and choosing right one is difficult so i decided not to put any XD

It's alright I had a bash round a mates house on Saturday. Well enough to know I suck at COD now that a fart in your general direction can kill you. But shhhh don't tell the others.

Well i can pull 4x kill strike and more than 5 kills per match so i am not that bad for PC gamer XD

Back to MGS V for a second,

I've searched but not found an answer. Are we downloading 28GBs so we need 56GB free or are we downloading 14GB and need 28GB free?

You know Steam compression and all that.

Dr Dogg

If i put avatar on my profile it would be permanent and choosing right one is difficult so i decided not to put any XD

Well i can pull 4x kill strike and more than 5 kills per match so i am not that bad for PC gamer XD

Here you go, an avatar just for you (yes there is actually a picture there)
oN4Y5NQ.png

Yeah that's the problem I wasn't using a keyboard and mouse otherwise I'd have been godly. And fuck off frost I'm joshing before you throw stones at me.

So dumb...

Why do they need this on top of Steam DRM?

Protect early sales I guess. But you know what, DRM/anti tamper/what ever can really be a pain if it interferes with running the game or modding that might fix up some issue the devs didn't after support has ended. So it would be nice if all pubs removed it after they've had their sales they expect. Say 6, 12 months after release and by then I'd imagine the piracy rate with be next to nothing anyways, especially if said game is already cracked. Some did like EA have with SecuROM but other haven't and then there's those pubs and devs who have ceased trading leaving a DRM legacy on their titles as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pre-load data is now split into 1GB chunks that are unpacked and deleted on-the-fly. At the absolute worst (i.e. assuming zero compression, simply to drive the point home) you'll only need 29GB of free space.

Oh wow that's neat I didn't realize that.

So we'll only be downloading 14GBs which is a lot more tolerable than 28GB for me. All the no preload conversation was around downloading 28GB but I was like wait Steam compression should cut that down but no one was mentioning that.

madjoki

So we'll only be downloading 14GBs which is a lot more tolerable than 28GB for me. All the no preload conversation was around downloading 28GB but I was like wait Steam compression should cut that down but no one was mentioning that.

Nope, it won't affect download size. But disc space needed during unpacking.
Compression won't halve it.

JaseC

It's virtually impossible to estimate the degree to which Steam's data compression will be effective. I say "virtually" as you can safely assume the download size of id Tech 5 games will be quite close to the install size since the vast majority of the data is virtual textures/MegaTextures, but other than that it's very much a guessing game; there's no rule of thumb. In other words, when people say they don't want to spend release day downloading 28GB of data, what they mean is that they don't want to download 28GB worth of data.

Khronico

I really hope its around 14 gigs, that means I could download and play it day 1.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So I guess some of you guys got in and you can party with eachother in the blops3 beta.

So let's get a group together like for friday or saturday at least!

Hinomura

I switched from Win7 to Win10 a few days ago, and apart from a clean reinstall of nvidia drivers, double checking all the privacy related settings, and Steam that doesn't boot on startup, I had zero problems.

For what it matters I use a DS3 via SCPServer connected via USB.

My daughter and me tried the following games which worked immediately and perfectly:

Ultra Street Fighter IV, Life is Strange, Celestian Tales: Old North, LEGO Batman 3, Machinarium, Tony Tough, Fingered, Final Fantasy Type-0, Papo & Yo, The Legend of Korra, Darkest Dungeon, Game Maker (not a game, obviously, but Steam related), and more...

So far it seems W10 loads faster pretty anything and it seems a few games are more "comfortable" (ie some games before made the gpu fan start doing a bit of mess sometimes a bit randomly, now they are more quiet).

I just hope to find a solution to make Steam launch at boot.

Dr Dogg

Files that already have some inherent compression like texture, video and audio containers generally don't seem to compress much more via Steam's algorithms I've tended to notice. For example FFXIII which of it's 60-odd gb size the vast majority of that is prerendered cutscenes so the download size was only about 5-10gb's smaller than the install size. On the flipside Alien Isolation which is 31gb in install size is only 18.3gb to download. Ground Zeroes was mainly data files but at such a small size it's hard to see what that means for Phantom Pain's download size after compression. Speaking of Metal Gear, Rising was also a game that didn't compress down much more due to almost 20gb's of prerendered cutscenes. Though they are glorious though and use much higher quality models than in game which I guess would make a PS360 struggle hence offline rendering.

Dr Dogg

I didn't know that. Wish Platinum could have included the highest quality models with the PC release.

Yeah I didn't until JP mentioned it in one of the threads here. I think he also mentioned that's it's not quite the same engine as the one for gameplay. Hang on I'll see if I can find the post(s).

It's virtually impossible to estimate the degree to which Steam's data compression will be effective. I say "virtually" as you can safely assume the download size of id Tech 5 games will be quite close to the install size since the vast majority of the data is virtual textures/MegaTextures, but other than that it's very much a guessing game; there's no rule of thumb. In other words, when people say they don't want to spend release day downloading 28GB of data, what they mean is that they don't want to download 28GB worth of data.

Hmm good point, I've never really looked just most times I notice its close to 1/2 but I don't look that often. I think GZ was close to 1/2 so here's hoping.

MRORANGE

Speculation on SMACH ZERO, some 'researching' that I did.

A few things confuse me about this project.

- They are keeping it really low, I mean no footage of the games running, no hand=on previews and such so forth, it's oddly silent, you would expect a start-up to be on the full hype bandwagon like OUYA was. They are playing their cards very close to their hearts.

V5ELLhy.png

- SOC Chip, from my understanding this whole chip range is designed for embedded devices in industry, but we have no idea which board it is using. This is really vital to know as there is quite a range of options.
Looking at the models the TDP plays an important role in power effeiceny and performance, it;s unlikely to be a quad core device due to power usage, unless they have a secret deal with AMD on a unknown board:

0djzQOY.png

Even in bulk sale these boards could easily cost upwards of $100 a piece to a manufacturer

I also did a size comparison based on screen size comparison and proto-build of the device., this is gonna be big:

sxkeDUZ.jpg

Compared to PS Vita:

ljmVlF7.jpg

PS: the device isn't flat btw, it has hand grips on the back so I doubt you can fit this in your pocket:

7RSdhvn.png

Grief.exe

I don't know why I'm still snooping around the MGSV review thread, playing a game of chicken with spoilers.

It's been safe so far, but I'm going to dip out of MGS threads until release.

Hinomura

Create a shortcut to Steam -> cut it -> type startup in the file explorer breadcrumb bar and hit enter -> paste the shortcut.

Already tried, but it didn't work :/ and it is the only shortcut in the startup. I've even tried usual stuff like delete the blob file, steam://flushconfig and setting admin priority to all users in its properties, but still no results...

Anyway thank you!

Edit: a weird fact: Steam.exe has no more its icon...

JaseC

Already tried, but it didn't work :/ and it is the only shortcut in the startup. I've even tried usual stuff like delete the blob file, steam://flushconfig and setting admin priority to all users in its properties, but still no results...

Anyway thank you!

Odd, I tried it before posting and it worked just fine. Steam did take a short while to appear after logging in, though, since startup items are the very last things Windows loads.

Hinomura

Odd, I tried it before posting and it worked just fine. Steam did take a short while to appear after logging in, though, since startup items are the very last things Windows loads.

Yep it's odd... to a similar case someone suggested on the web to use Startup Delayer but I'd like not to mess with it...

Sch1sm

I don't know why I'm still snooping around the MGSV review thread, playing a game of chicken with spoilers.

It's been safe so far, but I'm going to dip out of MGS threads until release.

Anderson Cooper loves himself a breaking story, Grief.

I haven't touched any of the MGS threads, and I don't intend on it until the first moderate/bad review comes through just to witness the carnage. I figure at this point it's just a load of console, "LOOKS BETTER HERE," type of deal, and added snark.

Anyway thank you!

Edit: a weird fact: Steam.exe has no more its icon...

Seems like you could have it in the wrong startup folder? Or maybe your account security stuff is high enough that steam can't enable itself to start up -- maybe try running it as admin, checking the box to start with windows or whatever, then restarting?

Anderson Cooper loves himself a breaking story, Grief.

I haven't touched any of the MGS threads, and I don't intend on it until the first moderate/bad review comes through just to witness the carnage. I figure at this point it's just a load of console, "LOOKS BETTER HERE," type of deal, and added snark.

I think if someone dumped spoilers up in here, I would laugh my ass off rather than be mad. Who wants to make me laugh? :3

Hinomura

Seems like you could have it in the wrong startup folder? Or maybe your account security stuff is high enough that steam can't enable itself to start up -- maybe try running it as admin, checking the box to start with windows or whatever, then restarting?
UAC is disabled and it's even set to exe from admin.

The only "weird" thing is that Steam.exe has no more its icon...

(thanks the same!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom