• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Preload or just straight up download? There something about being able to play the game early if your connection was fast enough.

The former, from what I understand. You wouldn't be playing the game early if it's in fact going to unlock everywhere at the same time, plus the last tweet on the matter says "The earliest you can DL the game is 9/1".

you mean through VPN? do we know when it unlocks in NZ yet?

Once the game unlocks in NZ, its general state will change to preloadonly, which will apply to every country that isn't NZ.

Edit: Oh, so it is unlocking everywhere at 10am PT. That's silly.

Ozium

The former, from what I understand. You wouldn't be playing the game early if it's in fact going to unlock everywhere at the same time, plus the last tweet on the matter says "The earliest you can DL the game is 9/1".

Once the game unlocks in NZ, its general state will change to preloadonly, which will apply to every country that isn't NZ.

OupNZy6.png

JaseC

I edited my post immediately after seeing yours.

Edit: Err, if it's unlocking everywhere come September 1st in NZ, then how does the pre-purchase period end at 10am PT? Those two statements are at complete odds with one another.

Dr Dogg

http://i.imgur.com/OupNZy6.png[IMG]

so wishy washy[/QUOTE]

Uh yes because someone had to ask him for clarification or are you being obtuse on purpose? Because Peeler's tweets at the time were

[quote]I think there's a misunderstanding with the PC release. So the pre-purchase option, which gives you Ground Zeroes for free and some DLC p1/3[/quote]

[quote]Is available to 10 AM PT 9/1, but if you already pre-purchased, you can dl and play before that time, earliest 9/1 New Zealand time p2/3[/quote]

[quote]Pretty common practice for PC/Steam users, but I apologize if it wasn't clear p3/3[/quote]

So you can see somewhere their attempts at communication have gone a little tits up not once but at least twice. Which if he just said. "game is unlocking for everyone at 10am PT/ 9pm GMT" then it conveys a lot of information in a little amount of words.

Ozium

Uh yes because someone had to asking him for clarification or are you being obtuse on purpose? Because Peeler's tweets at the time were

These tweets were around the same time as the tweets you cited. They are further clarifications of his previous tweets. They are newer and thus more relevant to the TRVTH. Are you being obtuse by choosing to cite tweets that are outdated?

also

it states that it will be available, worldwide, at 00:00 1st of Sept NZ time..

Midnight NZ time is August 31 5am PST. Not 10am. (I am in US Central time, It is 12:00 here, right now in NZ it is 5am on August 25th. That means it is 17 hours ahead of me. Midnight @ The Oasis (NZ) would thus be 7am for me, because 24-17 = 7. Pacific is two hours behind me, so that makes it 5am.

This makes no sense since on console pre-order is available, and to download 28 GB in some minutes you need a hell of connection. I will take like 2 days and half to do that.

It does make sense because if someone in Pacific time can starting installing at 5am then they could potentially have downloaded the game prior to Midnight, which is when the console preloads unlock.

Edit: Err, if it's unlocking everywhere come September 1st in NZ, then how does the pre-purchase period end at 10am PT? Those two statements are at complete odds with one another.

Only one way to find out~

Wait for the appointed time.

Edit: or not based on what Ozzy said.

Ludens

Banned
It does make sense because if someone in Pacific time can starting installing at 5am then they could potentially have downloaded the game prior to Midnight, which is when the console preloads unlock.

They could just put a preload one week before release and unlock the game on the same time of console version.

That Slave Witch April description:

April is a great magician whose name precedes her around the world. However, she has narcissistic tendencies, sacrificing anything in the advancement of her own power and glory. Despite taking him on as an apprentice, April makes no real effort to actually instruct Denis in magic, using him as a glorified servant instead of treating him as a pupil.

Never seen without her trusty magician’s robes, April’s measurements aren’t known, but the way they hang imply that she’s well proportioned.

She’s also a virgin, despite most witches getting their magic from sleeping with a demon…

I'm sorry, what

Ozium

the pre-purchase period ends at store update time, doesn't mean you can't buy it after NZ launch and install it up until pre-purchase period ends. They are not at odds at all. All he says is "pre-purchase" is the option until store update time, at which time it changes to "add to cart" basically.

Also there are pre-order incentives and I don't know if that factors into things when the game goes up as a non-preorder @ store update time.

JaseC

the pre-purchase period ends at store update time, doesn't mean you can't buy it after NZ launch and install it up until pre-purchase period ends. They are not at odds at all. All he says is "pre-purchase" is the option until store update time, at which time it changes to "add to cart"

The pre-purchase period ends when the game unlocks. This has been the case since, you know, that 2004 Valve game with crowbars and headcrabs. Also, despite his tweets being days old, the unlock time for the game is still set to 10am PT everywhere.

Dr Dogg

These tweets were around the same time as the tweets you cited. They are further clarifications of his previous tweets. They are newer and thus more relevant to the TRVTH. Are you being obtuse by choosing to cite tweets that are outdated?

also

it states that it will be available, worldwide, at 00:00 1st of Sept NZ time..

Midnight NZ time is August 31 5am PST. Not 10am. (I am in US Central time, It is 12:00 here, right now in NZ it is 5am on August 25th. That means it is 17 hours ahead of me. Midnight @ The Oasis (NZ) would thus be 7am for me, because 24-17 = 7. Pacific is two hours behind me, so that makes it 5am.

No it doesn't someone asked the question and his response is "Potentially, you could DL the 28 GB and begin playing a few hours before console users". There is no exact clarification and it is still wishy washy. All the exact dates and times are coming from you not Peeler and as you can quite easily see this hasn't been communicated at all well. If the dude would just say "it unlocks at this exact time" then there would be no assumptions needed to be made. Not once has he said about unlocking only downloading so personally I'd like some proper clarification as we all know games can and quite often do have unlock times for different regions. It might be the case that come 00:00am in Wellington that it's available and unlocked for everyone and that would be great if it does by why not just say that instead of the really weird way he's communicated it. Can you not see that? Can you not see that others have issues with his communication?

Ozium

The pre-purchase period ends when the game unlocks. This has been the case since, you know, that 2004 Valve game with crowbars and headcrabs.

Konami doesn't understand Steam then. They also think that preloading isn't a thing on Steam, they could be ignorant of a lot of things.

No it doesn't someone asked the question and his response is "Potentially, you could DL the 28 GB and begin playing a few hours before console users". There is no exact clarification and it is still wishy washy.

Guy asks "So you are saying that people can play it on August 31 as long as it's Sept 1 in New Zealand?"

Konami rep answers "Right, assuming they pre-purchased."

That was his response to that question. His answer using "potentially" was in regards to being able to play it before consoles launch, and he uses "potentially" based on the varying factor of a person's download speed.

How is answering a direct question about being able to play it on Aug 31 as long as it is Sept 1 in NZ (Which would imply that person is not in NZ at all but somewhere west of it) with an affirmative answer wishy washy?

Also the dates are coming from me not Peeler? He says Midnight New Zealand time. THAT IS A DATE GIVEN BY PEELER. The dates "coming from me" are me using arithmetic to determine united states times.. it's not fucking rocket science m8

JaseC

Konami doesn't understand Steam then. They also think that preloading isn't a thing on Steam, they could be ignorant of a lot of things.

Well, technically that quip about pre-loads being the exception is correct. It's definitely unusual for AAA games in particular to not have a pre-load period, though.

Arthea

about weeklongs
this mostly concerns that guy with the hat but others that like Artifex Mundi games may be interested too, Alchemy Mysteries: Prague Legends is not bad, I suppose it is heavily inspired by Artifex Mundi
totally worth that pitiful price they are asking

even if it wasn't alchemy the game I expected.

Annubis

On a completely different topic. I just finished Cherry Tree High I! My! Girls! and it sucks. It's a kinetic uneventful a la "second movie in a trilogy".

*Moves game to category "Nope"

JaseC

No it doesn't someone asked the question and his response is "Potentially, you could DL the 28 GB and begin playing a few hours before console users". There is no exact clarification and it is still wishy washy. All the exact dates and times are coming from you not Peeler and as you can quite easily see this hasn't been communicated at all well. If the dude would just say "it unlocks at this exact time" then there would be no assumptions needed to be made. Not once has he said about unlocking only downloading so personally I'd like some proper clarification as we all know games can and quite often do have unlock times for different regions. It might be the case that come 00:00am in Wellington that it's available and unlocked for everyone and that would be great if it does by why not just say that instead of the really weird way he's communicated it. Can you not see that? Can you not see that others have issues with his communication?

The game is set to unlock at the default time of 10am PT even though Peeler's tweets are now almost a week old. I'm leaning towards all the stuff about New Zealand being a misunderstanding.

Tizoc

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-as-King-Conan.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Grandia II -- MB-603826EC89F3EF10 - Taken by Intel. 95 entrants total.

t1440523268z1.png

Dr Dogg

Guy asks "So you are saying that people can play it on August 31 as long as it's Sept 1 in New Zealand?"

Konami rep answers "Right, assuming they pre-purchased."

That was his response to that question. His answer using "potentially" was in regards to being able to play it before consoles launch, and he uses "potentially" based on the varying factor of a person's download speed.

How is answering a direct question about being able to play it on Aug 31 as long as it is Sept 1 in NZ (Which would imply that person is not in NZ at all but somewhere west of it) with an affirmative answer wishy washy?

Jesus I know what he means by potentially but what I'm saying is that it's quite simple to just say "the game unlocks at this very specific time everywhere" bam everyone is on the same page. Go look how Capcom do it

REmake HD Preload Annoucement said:
Those who've already pre-purchased Resident Evil on Steam are now able to preload the game onto their PCs . Do this so that you'll be able to play it as soon as it's officially out on January 20th. In fact, the game will officially unlock worldwide at 9pm PST on January 19th!

That last sentence is less than 140 characters and can easily be tweeted.

The game is set to unlock at the default time of 10am PT even though Peeler's tweets are now almost a week old. I'm leaning towards all the stuff about New Zealand being a misunderstanding.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

4-5 hours into Zombi, eventhough I ran into one game breaking crash already, it's really climbing up fast in my GOTY list.

Do you like Dark Souls.
If you answered no, what's wrong with you? :p

Do you like horror games?

If you answered yes to both, get Zombi.

JaseC

Deciphering the meaning behind Peeler's pre-load tweets will stump philosophers for centuries.

Shantom

It's nice to see that Grandia 2 is avaliable on the Humble Store from Day 1, so I can save a bit of money on the UK price and give the devs a better cut,

Ozium

Jesus I know what he means by potentially but what I'm saying is that it's quite simple to just say "the game unlocks at this very specific time everywhere" bam everyone is on the same page. Go look how Capcom do it

That last sentence is less that 140 characters and can easily be tweeted.

OK? It's quite simple for people to do a lot of things, but you can't judge them on what they should have said or should have done, but on their actual words and deeds. It is incredibly pedantic to argue what he should have said, all we can go by is what he did say.

Maybe he is a liar or a fool and will be ashamed of his words and deeds. I, however, am focusing on what he said and not what he should have said.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
4-5 hours into Zombi, eventhough I ran into one game breaking crash already, it's really climbing up fast in my GOTY list.

Do you like Dark Souls.
If you answered no, what's wrong with you? :p

Do you like horror games?

If you answered yes to both, get Zombi.

I like those things so wondering if I should play on PC or use the $5 Wii U version I got.

Anteater

OK? It's quite simple for people to do a lot of things, but you can't judge them on what they should have said or should have done, but on their actual words and deeds. It is incredibly pedantic to argue what he should have said, all we can go by is what he did say.

Maybe he is a liar or a fool and will be ashamed of his words and deeds. I, however, am focusing on what he said and not what he should have said.

maybe you should or shouldn't have smoking so much

I like those things so wondering if I should play on PC or use the $5 Wii U version I got.

Wii U has the gamepad thing going and it has an multiplayer mode but that said, I cannot really see the difference between looking at the inventory and looking at the gamepad. PC version has the obvious PC improvements but it's (still, maybe forever?) regards stability. I don't know, you can't really lose there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom