• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

eh, it was entertaining at the beginning, but nowadays I find Jasec buying games I already own so often, that it's no longer an attraction.

Difference is that you can't buy Stubbs at the mo because it got yanked.

One day, Disney is going to put it back up. One day.

I wouldn't be surprised as they've put stuff from their back catalogue on Steam that still have issues still lingering in them.

Arthea

Talking about cheap games, I've played some of Fine Sweeper yesterday again and it's still broken, I can't understand how it can have positive reviews, amazing really.

you shouldn't have changed it just for me! I would still recognize you as a smallish blueish blob

and I was joking

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wouldn't be surprised as they've put stuff from their back catalogue on Steam that still have issues still lingering in them.

I think there's a problem in that it's not "visibly" a Disney game since it was part of the Wideload acquisition and not something Disney itself had a hand in. Grief (or someone else with a Twitter account) should hit up Seth Davis. I sent a PM to the DI Reddit account shortly after the AMA ended, but it was never read.

Edit: What I mean is that DI's done nothing with Stubbs because it doesn't realise it owns the game. Wideload was acquired way back in 2009, well before it began expressing interest in digital distribution.

Deques

Talking about cheap games, I've played some of Fine Sweeper yesterday again and it's still broken, I can't understand how it can have positive reviews, amazing really.

you shouldn't have changed it just for me! I would still recognize you as a smallish blueish blob

and I was joking

Either way, the avatar was a bit too small :)

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Like executives now what's good for them. Every Disney release probably goes through multiple levels of marketing, finance and legal.

Tokubetsu

Did anyone here play Ground Zeroes on PC? Fullscreen Windowed still has shows me my taskbar. Is there a fix or I'm gonna have to play in regular fullscreen?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Fran Bow

QNAjgzT.jpg

Chariot

Did anyone here play Ground Zeroes on PC? Fullscreen Windowed still has shows me my taskbar. Is there a fix or I'm gonna have to play in regular fullscreen?
Worked fine for me, alough I prefered to play full windowed because I couldn't really tab out of it to adjust the audio and since the game has no ingame audio options I grew annoyed a bit since it was a bit loud.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The thing I'm most looking forward to with a good working x360 emulator would be to finally play blue dragon again.

Ludens

Banned

What is your OS? I played it on Win 8.1 and never had a problem, but I didn't try it on Win 10 (and I read there were problems regarding the compatibility).

Did you try to switch on/off borderlass window?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Works fine for me, have you Google to see if other people have the same problem,
or checked steamcommunity
What is your OS? I played it on Win 8.1 and never had a problem, but I didn't try it on Win 10 (and I read there were problems regarding the compatibility).

I played it on win10 without problems.

Arthea

The thing I'm most looking forward to with a good working x360 emulator would be to finally play blue dragon again.

I'd rather MS did what was promised and rereleased some 360 games on PC, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are ones I would replay gladly,
on steam with cheevos and cards
not gonna happen, I'm not sure an emulator even happen.

Knurek

A whole generation is not going to know what the old Electronic Gaming Monthly /Official PlayStation Magazine/Computer Gaming World, later on 1UP netwprk, ziff davis empire brought us.

CGW is at least fully archived, so people can read from 1st to last issue.
Pity there's no such thing for EGM. :\

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'd rather MS did what was promised and rereleased some 360 games on PC, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are ones I would replay gladly,
on steam with cheevos and cards
not gonna happen, I'm not sure an emulator even happen.
A Xbox 360 emulator is happening, though it might take some more years for it to be considered working fine with games(also a few more years of hardware to bruteforce it with)

Or do you mean the emulator won't have cards or achievements?

Tokubetsu

win 10 I can't alt tab either. Only game I know that acts like this with fullscreen windowed. Not a huge deal, I'd just prefer to play this way instead of fullscreen.

Arthea

A Xbox 360 emulator is happening, though it might take some more years for it to be considered working fine with games(also a few more years of hardware to bruteforce it with)

Or do you mean the emulator won't have cards or achievements?

I'm very sceptical on point of emulators and their workability, possibility and availability with later gens, while dolphin works more or less OK, tried it myself, it still doesn't work with all games, the heck even PS2 amazing emulators don't work with all games, most? yes, but not all.
While PSP emulators don't work at all, I know some people insist they do, but I don't agree and PS3 and Xbox360 are more intentions or rumours than any real work done and even if they will be made that will take years, if not a decade, I'm not sure we'll need those then. The share amount of new games released every day makes it very hard to find time to get back to older games.

fertygo

I'm very sceptical on point of emulators and their workability, possibility and availability with later gens, while dolphin works more or less OK, tried it myself, it still doesn't work with all games, the heck even PS2 amazing emulators don't work with all games, most? yes, but not all.
While PSP emulators don't work at all, I know some people insist they do, but I don't agree and PS3 and Xbox360 are more intentions or rumours than any real work done and even if they will be made that will take years, if not a decade, I'm not sure we'll need those then. The share amount of new games released every day makes it very hard to find time to get back to older games.

Err.. PSP soft emulating is pretty advanced nowadays.

Maniac

Banned
Cool. My writing got me a gig as a game design consultant. I'm doing my test run now, hoping I'm cool to work with. I'd love to do this regularly; it's much nicer on my health.

man, statements like these always bum me out because I really think most of my column is good work.
You and Schreier's work is the only stuff that's worth my time on Kotaku. But I'll be damned if I don't read it all.

And hope the consulting gig works out. Should be good for ya!
One day, Disney is going to put it back up. One day.

Still bummed out about this one. I really, really enjoyed Stubbs. Such a fun, dumb game.

MUnited83

For you.

what
what
what

PPSSPP runs everything I throw at it, at native framerate and several times the resolution, even on shit laptops. PPSSPP is hands down one of the most impressive emulators i've used.

Mad Max purchased. I think that i will get 25$ worth of fun from that game :D
Awesome! Please make sure to post some impressions. Hopefully the port won't be shit and I hope it's a good game. I'll be too busy with Metal Gear to pick it up. Maybe I'll get it in the winter seal.

Chariot

I am stuck in Evoland 2.

I am in the future, where I have to seek out the bandit leader in the haunted forest in his lair. I cleared the left side of it, but now don't really know what to do. I am running around in the right side, got a chest with a star, but don't seem to progress further. Halp.

edit: nvm, got it.

Arthea

Talking about betrayalton number 4? 5? bundle, seeing as Ubi did it second time, while repeating the same "mistake", no steam keys even for games on steam, it's safe to assume they use humble to get more people to use uplay and not to popularize M&M, and it being a repeat, it's safe to assume it's working, meaning we will get even more uplay bundles, origin ones too, most likely in the future

what
what
what

PPSSPP runs everything I throw at it, at native framerate and several times the resolution, even on shit laptops. PPSSPP is hands down one of the most impressive emulators i've used.

that's funny, as I had exactly opposite experience with it.
And running everything is not the same as actually being able to finish or even to play a game.

dex3108

Awesome! Please make sure to post some impressions. Hopefully the port won't be shit and I hope it's a good game. I'll be too busy with Metal Gear to pick it up. Maybe I'll get it in the winter seal.

I will (but i already know what to expect, tons of collectibles, mediocre story and beautiful landscapes :D) I will play MGS V when i play MGS1-4 (on PC or PS4). I don't want to jump in MGS V without previous experiences.

My best move in Rocket League since i started playing it :D

http://streamable.com/lysx

MUnited83

For you.
Talking about betrayalton number 4? 5? bundle, seeing as Ubi did it second time, while repeating the same "mistake", no steam keys even for games on steam, it's safe to assume they use humble to get more people to use uplay and not to popularize M&M, and it being a repeat, it's safe to assume it's working, meaning we will get even more uplay bundles, origin ones too, most likely in the future

And running everything is not the same as actually being able to finish or even to play a game.

I completed several PSP games(and many halfway through as well) using it and never had a single issue, and I never saw any game breaking bug on any of the games I own on emulation forums ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arthea

I completed several PSP games(and many halfway through as well) using it and never had a single issue, and I never saw any game breaking bug on any of the games I own on emulation forums ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It must be my luck that only games I wanted that emulator for are downright unplayable, unsaveable or emulator crashes all the time. Then again it was some time ago already, maybe I should try it again, but people were insisting then it works too, so ya

Knurek

Have you tried a semi-recent build? It's not perfect (barely any emulator is), but it matured quite decently this year.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Dolphin is better than playing on original hardware on almost all occasions, there's a few games which is still a problem but most of them are fine.

Wouldn't call it ok, not when it's the best emulator for that gen(pcsx2 is starting to look better again but xquemu is in it's infancy)

Knurek

Or tried that bag of wank that is/was JPCSP but I imagine that's mainly java's fault.

Well, back when I was doing portable music history, I had to use JPCSP for some (obscure, Japanese) titles that didn't boot in PPSSPP.
*shudder*

//EDIT: Remember when Digital Eclipse said they are not using an emulator for Mega Man Legacy Collection? Their highly touted Eclipse Engine which was supposed to recompile the original games to have 1080p glory while preserving all quirks? Well... Here's what people have been able to do with their 'not-emulator' just by substituting 'definitely not ROM files':

Is this for real? Then why did they not include 7-10 and use some other non-emulator software to not emulate the games? >.<

True for PC version, can't verify for console releases, but I guess they share the codebase

Deques

//EDIT: Remember when Digital Eclipse said they are not using an emulator for Mega Man Legacy Collection? Their highly touted Eclipse Engine which was supposed to recompile the original games to have 1080p glory while preserving all quirks? Well... Here's what people have been able to do with their 'not-emulator' just by substituting 'definitely not ROM files':

Is this for real? Then why did they not include 7-10 and use some other non-emulator software to not emulate the games? >.<

Well, back when I was doing portable music history, I had to use JPCSP for some (obscure, Japanese) titles that didn't boot in PPSSPP.
*shudder*

Is there a topic or newspiece for that Digital Eclipse "not using emulator" quote?

technologyL.png

Jawmuncher

*shudder*

Is it a good emulator though?

Knurek

Is there a topic or newspiece for that Digital Eclipse "not using emulator" quote?

technologyL.png

Reddit thread with relevant data

USGamer interview with Digital Eclipse

USG: So instead of the Eclipse Engine being an emulator running a ROM dump, you're basically feeding source code or ROM or whatever into something on your end, not on the user end, and that's putting out an executable for a specific platform. &#61574;

Frank: That's about right. We have hardware-specific modules that we're running within our engines. I'm not intentionally being cagey with the approach we took with Mega Man, it's just really complicated. We did basically recompile it into a new format that runs in our engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom