• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
22gDTB7.jpg

Psycho Starship Rampage

Project CARS - Old Vs New Car Pack

Parsnip

//EDIT: Remember when Digital Eclipse said they are not using an emulator for Mega Man Legacy Collection? Their highly touted Eclipse Engine which was supposed to recompile the original games to have 1080p glory while preserving all quirks? Well... Here's what people have been able to do with their 'not-emulator' just by substituting 'definitely not ROM files':

It's not quite that simple, according to this guy. https://twitter.com/Prof9

MMLC contains the entire ROM files for Mega Man 1-6. They've been edited by hand to remove the Licensed by Nintendo.
Tinkering with Mega Man Legacy Collection's embedded ROMs. Seems like it loads graphics, level data and music from them, but not game code.
I threw in a simple Mega Man 2 ROM hack, and it seemed to work fine. Other hacks like MM3 Enemy Lifebar didn't work.
So far it looks like they did recompile all the game code into a new engine, but all source assets (sprite, music) are loaded from the ROM.
Regarding MMLC embedded ROMs, I also tried to chuck in Japanese versions and other games using the same mapper. They all crashed the game.

I need a game suggestion.

I've been craving a creative gaming experience. Been playing a lot of two games not on steam: The Sims 4 and Minecraft; finding that I'm mostly just passing time. They are good (well Sims 4 kinda sorta) but I've played them to death.

I would love something that is like Minecraft and The Sims but not Minecraft or a The Sims game. There is Lego Worlds but I'm really not sure it will scratch that itch. I don't like the building interface in Lego Worlds and being early access, there is so much not done.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Hi SteamGaf

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sub Zero, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Crimsonland- -- MB-83D2C28B42F531FB - Taken by Spirited
Beatbuddy -- MB-A1A3364CA5401355

Arthea

I need a game suggestion.

I've been craving a creative gaming experience. Been playing a lot of two games not on steam: The Sims 4 and Minecraft; finding that I'm mostly just passing time. They are good (well Sims 4 kinda sorta) but I've played them to death.

I would love something that is like Minecraft and The Sims but not Minecraft or a The Sims game. There is Lego Worlds but I'm really not sure it will scratch that itch. I don't like the building interface in Lego Worlds and being early access, there is so much not done.

I'm last person to answer this question as I actively dislike both Minecraft and sims, not my thing, but I was curious, how are sims creative gaming experience, from that little that I played it seemed quite opposite to me, unlike Minecraft, sims are more like reality show, that explains why I can't stand it. Or am I wrong?

Ban Puncher

People are surprised Digital Eclipse is full of shit? It's the same company as Backbone. I wouldn't trust them to sit the right way on a toilet seat let alone port a game competently.

Hektor

I'm last person to answer this question as I actively dislike both Minecraft and sims, not my thing, but I was curious, how are sims creative gaming experience, from that little that I played it seemed quite opposite to me, unlike Minecraft, sims are more like reality show, that explains why I can't stand it. Or am I wrong?

The character creator and the house building tools are very deep and content rich. Some people do nothing else but using those.

I spend most of my time in the Sims building and designing houses. I hardly ever play the core game. The Sims 3 has way more options (especially since you can color and retexture anything in Sims 3) but sims 4 build mode is so much better for making adjustments and creating more complex playouts. Its like coloring or playing with clay.

Arthea

I spend most of my time in the Sims building and designing houses. I hardly ever play the core game. The Sims 3 has way more options (especially since you can color and retexture anything in Sims 3) but sims 4 build mode is so much better for making adjustments and creating more complex playouts. Its like coloring or playing with clay.

I see, I never thought about it this way, thanks for clearing that up

Maniac

Banned
Neat. Since I've lost 3 family members to cancer within the last two years, and my fathers best friend whom was basically an uncle to me about 3 years ago, and my dads aunt being mere weeks from passing cause of it, I'm definitely going to be donating my Humble funds to cancer charities. It's nice being able to pick yourself.

abracadaver

Talos Principle is really awesome and you should all play it. Way better than the (in my opinion) overrated Portal games. Not saying the Portal games are bad but I find the story annoying.

I have no idea how to get the hidden stars though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Enter the Dragon Punch, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Enter the Dragon Punch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Amnesia: Memories -- MB-55B7354E0006267A - Taken by Jawmuncher. 43 entrants total.

t1440724337z1.png

damn, seems you DO need all the orbs in the swapper to finish it. Christ, i feel like im going to have an aneurysm and i'm only a 1/4 of the way in according to the final orb count

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Enter the Dragon Punch, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Enter the Dragon Punch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Amnesia: Memories -- MB-55B7354E0006267A - Taken by Jawmuncher. 43 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Amnesia: Memories was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1440724577z1.png

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So I read up about avalanche studios for a bit and it seems like their subsidiary released TheHunter: Primal, I had no idea about that.

They work on Disney Infinite too. I am glad they are doing good :D

that's a different avalanche

Wow, so the megaman collection is just a romdump.

lol even the anniversary collection had more content AND had altered controls.

It dumps info from the roms and then runs it in their own engine so that's not entirely true

also, youre comparing a $15 collection to a $40 collection that was incredibly inaccurate, blurry, and on machines that are in everyone's closets right now. It's not comparable

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, so the megaman collection is just a romdump.

lol even the anniversary collection had more content AND had altered controls.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
They work on Disney Infinite too. I am glad they are doing good :D

They had a pretty bad start, the founders of avalanche started out making the company named Rock solid, They were working on a licensed game for Tremors aand were about to be bought up by starbreeze (the guys who made payday 2) but both the games license got cancelled and they ended not getting aquired by starbreeze, which led to the company going bancrupt and the founders in debt.

They later ended up making avalance which their first game had pretty bad reviews and sold poorly (just cause) and while they worked on just cause 2 they had to lay off a lot of people and the release date was delayed a couple of times from 2008 to 2010.

Happy that they turned it around.

Though I've heard thehunter: primal is an
unfinished crap game :p

milena87

Talos Principle is really awesome and you should all play it. Way better than the (in my opinion) overrated Portal games. Not saying the Portal games are bad but I find the story annoying.

I have no idea how to get the hidden stars though.

I really need to get back to it and finish the game. I fixated on finding all stars in world B and they're pretty difficult.
Actually, there are even some in plain sight, and I still can't figure out how to get them è_é

Neat. Since I've lost 3 family members to cancer within the last two years, and my fathers best friend whom was basically an uncle to me about 3 years ago, and my dads aunt being mere weeks from passing cause of it, I'm definitely going to be donating my Humble funds to cancer charities. It's nice being able to pick yourself.

Sorry to hear that man, my aunt is fighting cancer right now, and one of my brother's friends too. It sucks.

I usually do that too when I buy bundles, just donate most of it to the charities.

Tizoc

Couldn't just leave well enough alone MM fans. Now this will be the only game you get for another 10 years.

I honestly don't care nor do I see why people should be bothered by this.
Long as the games run fine, just stfu buy the game 3 times and pray it'd be enough for Megaman Legacy Vol. 2, because you actually want so cough up the money you whining scrub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom