• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody really reads my fucking posts, do they?

Why no one reads Turfster's posts 2

NnDn5dJ.png

Too stealthy.

Ozium

Gotta get that Banned Game hype money while you can.

Y'know... several months later.

Please do not talk shit about BLOODBATH KAVKAZ shit is better than hotline miami 2..

it has a level editor

where is hotline miami 2's much touted level editor? non-existent. just another one of devolver's lies. dagestan technology has trumped them.

gelf

Is there any definite fix for getting Deadly Premonition to run now? I got it like a few months after release and no matter what I tried I just could not get it running in a satisfactory manner. It either ran at what looked like 10fps or just crashed at startup. And yes I did try DPFix at the time, and compatibility mode and restarting the system dozens of times.

I'd love to play it but I don't want to go through all that fruitless tweaking again.

DRAGON THE GAME I can understand. But Bloodbath Kavkaz? Don't make me laugh.
Is there any definite fix for getting Deadly Premonition to run now? I got it like a few months after release and no matter what I tried I just could not get it running in a satisfactory manner. It either ran at what looked like 10fps or just crashed at startup. And yes I did try DPFix at the time.

I'd love to play it but I don't want to go through all that fruitless tweaking again.

I don't think so. It's a really bad port.

Once I got a couple repeatable CTDs while playing I had to give up my dreams of playing through it.

Is there any definite fix for getting Deadly Premonition to run now? I got it like a few months after release and no matter what I tried I just could not get it running in a satisfactory manner. It either ran at what looked like 10fps or just crashed at startup. And yes I did try DPFix at the time, and compatibility mode and restarting the system dozens of times.

DRAGON THE GAMEI don't think so. It's a really bad port.

Once I got a couple repeatable CTDs while playing I had to give up my dreams of playing through it.

I completed the game on PC without too many issues. It's important to work out what compatibility mode works best on your PC (as it seems to vary) and to use the Large Address Aware patch (increasing the usable RAM for the game) to lessen the memory-leak-related crashes.

Here's an old post of mine about the LAA patcher.

There's a lot of helpful information in that thread. It can take a while to tweak the game into a "runnable" state, but once you get it running you don't have to re-tweak anything.

The game's totally worth it -- I really, really liked it (crappy port and all).

Momentary

Banned
In an alternate dimension where the Port is still delayed, "The Phantom Port"

Good lord, that list is awful.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/27/best-action-games

1 Saints Row IV
2 Grand Theft Auto IV
3 Beyond Good & Evil
4 Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor
5 Batman: Arkham City
6 Resident Evil IV
7 Tomb Raider: Legend
8 Max Payne
9 Just Cause 2
10 Lego Marvel Super Heroes
11 Hotline Miami
12 Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time
13 Red Faction Guerilla
14 Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag
15 Dead Rising 2
16 Mafia
17 Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light
18 TowerFall: Ascension
19 Grow Home
20 Darksiders II
21 Gang Beasts
22 Oni
23 MechWarrior 2
24 Project Eden
25 Westerado: Double Barreled

Wow... that is one of the worst lists I've ever seen.

Life is Beautiful
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zero-Crescent, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut -- MB-7385E4ECBF24B985 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 1 entrants total.

t1440704539z1.png

gelf

I completed the game on PC without too many issues. It's important to work out what compatibility mode works best on your PC (as it seems to vary) and to use the Large Address Aware patch (increasing the usable RAM for the game) to lessen the memory-leak-related crashes.

There's a lot of helpful information in that thread. It can take a while to tweak the game into a "runnable" state, but once you get it running you don't have to re-tweak anything.

Hmm well that's certainly something I haven't tried. Urg should I put myself through the hassle again...

PCG: I remember a post written in the aftermath of the Diretide that didn’t happen, that said ‘this is how we’re going to change how we communicate’. There seems to be a little bit of tension in the way Valve communicates between that openness and the desire for those big reveal moments. There are times when it’s a case of ‘silence, silence, silence, silence, then suddenly something new.’ Does that all-or-nothing difference need to be smoothed out a little?

EJ: We still feel that, fundamentally, our strongest form of communication is software. You can discern everything we’ve done and everything we’re thinking by reading through an update. We think that there’s some amount of value in just surprising the community with something you didn’t think was coming and we wouldn’t want to lose that. But we hear when people are saying that we do a poor job at communication and some of it’s an artifact of the type of company that we are. I think sometimes it turns to what I feel is a place that’s not super accurate, like ‘Valve doesn’t care’. We care a huge amount about our users and our community.
Dota Reborn 1

PCG: There’s an orthodoxy for community management among people who run online games. Valve is really different. There’s no video person who’s in front of people every day.

EJ: Exactly. I guess we just take a different approach. Instead of a community manager, the person that you’re going to hear from at Valve is somebody who is working on the game every day. There’s a currency of time that we’re all investing into our products, and we could either be getting what looks like community management or we could be working on the next hero and it really is that kind of tradeoff.
In our heads we’re constantly saying, fundamentally, ‘what do I think I could add the most value to?’ But the question really is, ‘what does the community want me to work on today?’ If we told everybody what we were doing, would they say ‘oh, that’s the right thing to work on’? That’s how we’re testing the decisions we’re making. When an artist’s saying 'I could make a blog post about what happened last week, or I could start sketching out what Pit Lord’s going to look like' they say 'I think people just want me to make Pit Lord.'

Running in circles.

Remember what he said at GDC?

Also, of course he wouldn't talk about HL. He works on Dota and this was at TI.

Caerith

Thanks for linking that. I had given up on DP after it constantly crashed at the end of the hospital level, so maybe I'll give it another try.

So that's what Japan has been doing with VR (NSFW)

someone will be happy with this

this is the future guys

What-Gear-VR-Goodbye-Real-World.png

Thanks for linking to neogaf. I know not a lot of people in this thread visit that site so it's good that we can discuss that non-steam-related stuff here in the steam thread.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Roboleon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

FOTONICA -- MB-CD3DFFEC58534BDA - Taken by anastef. 5 entrants total.
Crimsonland -- MB-4B54A03EC6E2A395 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.

t1440704780z1.png

crimsonland is pretty awesome

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Place nut 3B into socket 6A before inserting screw 4U to finish assembly of Metal GEAR!?

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KenOD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tulpa -- MB-00D828B7D0DF1031 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 7 entrants total.
Cloudbuilt -- MB-DF2DA1F947D92C8C - Taken by redlacs. 23 entrants total.

t1440714559z1.png

Salsa

need to go pick up my niece from school and her school is called Macachines
son

everyhting is metal gear when its this close

also my birthday is in a few hours and all I got is my phone falling in the toilet and breaking just in time

went to my carrier today and all alternatives are worse than the one I have and I still have to pay more

this is dog shit

mjc

So I noticed Endless Legend is on sale on Steam...how accessible is it for a newcomer to the 4X genre? Would I be better off trying this or going with something like Civ V?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Steam Store Page

Played Fran Bow for two hours, plan to finish it tonight, but some impressions.

After a couple hour with it and on Chapter 2 Part 2, I have to give the game my recommendation. It's got clever writing, interesting characters with Fran Bow's childish yet twisted approach to things stealing the show, mixed with interesting imagery, thoughtful but (at least so far) not too challenging puzzles, a gripping story with themes of psychological horror, satanism and cult behaviors, the twistedness of children, and real horror ranging from pedophilia to the history of mental care.

Fairly early in the game you get a jar of pills, which lets you switch at anytime between the 'real' world, and a twisted gorey world full of shadow monsters, sometimes switching between these worlds provides interesting symbolism or twisted sights to see, but other times are crucial to progress. As the game goes on, it becomes questionable if this other world is truly just a hallucination, and things done in one world seem to effect the other.

ss_ed7e5ae7e60a9a24f1ce3b2494e107d6b09e5b81.600x338.jpg

Game seems fairly varied in locales, the first hour or so was set in a mental asylum, but breaking free we go into a forest, and where I'm currently at I'm in a twisted fairy-tale esque house. And it seems I'm not half-way done with the game yet going by Chapter numbers (seems to be five chapters).

Music is worth mentioning, it is very stylistic with some tracks sticking out. There's no voice acting, but the world sounds are good. Presentation also gets high marks for some nice animation, visual flair, detail, and some stylization in certain scenes (like the storybook maze scene).

ss_987bf12caa85a82380293c2036c828bf42fdeec7.600x338.jpg

High recommendation if you want a twisted point'n'click. I so far wouldn't label the game as scary, but there is some disturbing things of all types in the game, and it certainly has been an engrossing ride thus far, lead by an interesting story, excellent writing, great style and audio, and captures a perfect tone of a twisted little girl's mind in a twisted, horrific situation.

Review link (updating later when I finish it): http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/362680/

But serious high recommendation if you want a twisted, story-driven point'n'click. It's not been too challenging so far, but engrossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom