• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

I still dont understand why some fans even defend shitty trailers/"pre alpha gameplay". In almost all cases where the beta gameplay e.g. is already bad, fans will still say "still 4 months till its released. It will still change!"

Edit: I remember one year ago I said "The Division" wont look like that. It looks far too advanced for our current GPUs and people said that in 1 year when it would come out, it wont be a problem. Of course what they showed off is real! Hater!

It's mostly people trying to rationalize their purchasing behavior. "My little preorder can't be this broken."

If a game plays like ass 4 months out, it's already too late for a massive overhaul of the gameplay systems. But as long as footage is not branded as "final" people will continue to hope that the game they are so invested in (monetarily and emotionally) will be massively better by then, because it has to be, right?

A lot of companies use the branding of beta/alpha/pre-alpha to take advantage of this cognitive dissonance. That way they can get fans hyped about all the cool new features of the game (that might be cut from the final game, or be massively scaled back) while shielding themselves from criticism for aspects that are weaker (even though those might make their way into the final game). It's not exactly dishonest (unless the game is actually fairly close to being finished), because the reality is it's hard to know what the final game will look like when there's still a year of development left, but it's not really honest either.

That being said, a lot can be optimized in a few months when it comes to resolution, framerate, loading times, and to a lesser extent texture work. You're not going to go from sub 10 fps to a solid 60, but you might go from fluctuating between 25-30 to a solid 30 (or from 50-60 to a solid 60), which can certainly make a difference.

The thing is the way the industry is so skewed towards preorder campaigns incredibly early in a game's development, that they have to play these games in order to meet their preorder quotas. Well, that or waste months of development resources building vertical slices that end up not being representative of the full game. Really what needs to change is the industry practice of trying to sell a game (through preorders) well before the game is finished, and even before what the game actually is is finalized. But for that to happen, people need to stop preodering games the minute publishers start asking for their money.

didamangi

just setup my 1440p monitor and steam text is all blurry? Do I need a different skin or does steam not have dpi scaling

It doesn't have dpi scaling. You can checked disable display scaling in the steam shortcut properties in the compatibility tab if you want. Valve probably will fix it when we all have 4K display :/

MaxiLive

soo, dumb question for ppl who know computers stuff

if my motherboard was fine with a 560 gtx ti, it should be fine with a 960 gtx right? like pcie express and stuffs should be ok?

omg haha

Motherboard wise, then yep you should be fine. Might what to check on power though!

You have to disable Network List Services, and then hide DS4 functions as intended.

The batch file method is much better. In my experience, it's more reliable too, as when I was having problems and Nabs was trying to help me out, part of it was because of how the system was behaving when restarts were issued and such.

The batch file basically turns stuff off, let's DS4Windows grab the device exclusively then turn the service back on.

fight me grief.

Pay per view, please.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
soo, dumb question for ppl who know computers stuff

if my motherboard was fine with a 560 gtx ti, it should be fine with a 960 gtx right? like pcie express and stuffs should be ok?

Everything will work okay, even the power draw for the GTX 960 is even less than the 560 ti.

just setup my 1440p monitor and steam text is all blurry? Do I need a different skin or does steam not have dpi scaling

Seems this is still an issue. Don't think there's much of a fix for it beyond disabling scaling and having a microscopic Steam client yet.

Dr Dogg

Semi sort of but it's hit and miss. Pressure used to be a good skin that handled text scaling pretty well but at 2560x1440 I just leave DPI scaling set to zero/100%. Then again I lucked out and got the client to scale at 3840x2160 which others are a bit pissed about.

I take back all the stupid shit I said yesterday. Give it to me now!!!

Question is though is that the Xbone or PC version?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
16 Minutes of Dark Souls 3 Gameplay (off screen)

---

Mega Man Legacy Collection launches August 25

Mega Man Legacy Collection will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on August 25 for $14.99 / €14.99 / £11.99, and early 2016 for 3DS, Capcom announced.

Physical editions will also be available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and 3DS for $29.99 in early 2016.

The collection features the first six Mega Man gams, as well as “hundreds” of high-resolution scans of vintage concept sketches, production art, unused Robot Master designs, a database of enemy information, a “Challenge Mode” with remixed gameplay sections, a music player with more than 100 songs, and more.

---

WrpmvjF.jpg
p4ODifZ.jpg
gDLbVkE.jpg

still can't get over them not fixing the slowdown in the MM games due to wanting those games to be authentic. Cmon now, you can be authentic and not play like ass.

Dr Dogg

Every time there's offscreen footage of a Souls game the person playing is always a bit... well shit. Still death is a keystone of the series.

Dark Souls 3 looks fine but after Bloodborne it's just 'oh more of the same'

it's the 5 game in 6 years for the series if youre counting western releases

Demon's Souls 2010
Dark Souls 2011
Dark Souls II 2014
Bloodborne 2015
(Dark Souls II SOTFS 2015)
Dark Souls III 2016

The time between Demon's Souls original release and DS1 seemed fine, as was the time between DSI and DSII. However, the last 3 games coming so close to one another is leaving me fatigued with the series and I haven't even played DSII and BB yet.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
That's Bloodborne blood.
Same amount, splashyness, color. Realizing i'm noticing the thickness of digital blood makes me feel kinda weird. Even if i'm probably wrong.

I dont know, I want to be excited. Loved the previous Souls games and how they rewarded exploring, playing carefully and being patient. Bloodborne was a bit too fast-paced for my taste. I hope that doesn't get carried over to DS3, but i'm getting the impression it kinda does.
If I hadn't played Bloodborne i'd be all over this.

in beautiful 360p.

Looks good though. Seems a lot 'faster' than DS2. The attacks seem a lot more...weighty if that makes sense.

I really hope that the 'world' is more DS1 than DS2 though.

As I said in another thread.

I liked DS1's lore and game world more, but I found the gameplay in DS2 to be superior.

I'm not thrilled with DS3's speed and long rolls.
It seems like pandering to DS2's complainers who didn't even bothered to understand the fine tunning on gameplay such as rolls, adaptability and weapon durability.

Tizoc

still can't get over them not fixing the slowdown in the MM games due to wanting those games to be authentic. Cmon now, you can be authentic and not play like ass.

tHEY CAN always add it in as an option. The purpose is to also have the game be used for speedruns and events like GDQ.

I still say we spam them to add an option for removal of slowdown.
Fuck's sake it's just an option, if I wanthe slowdown I'll just choose the option for it.

hmmm you know whats always bugged me? how do dragons breath fire? also why is it that fire hurts them, even a little? the thing spews fire from its mouth at will so why can it hurt it? If fire could hurt it, its mouth should be damaged from the flames being so close to its mouth at the very least. I'm putting to much thought into it, aren't i?

Lolcomin

Banned
hmmm you know whats always bugged me? how do dragons breath fire? also why is it that fire hurts them, even a little? the thing spews fire from its mouth at will so why can it hurt it? If fire could hurt it, its mouth should be damaged from the flames being so close to its mouth at the very least. I'm putting to much thought into it, aren't i?
Probably special gland in mouth that "creates" the fire and their saliva has some special properties to protecting their mouth

zkylon

zkylewd

dragons are always more resistant to fire in games tho

so the part where they're massive lizards with wings that arent proportional at all and incapable of producing flight and that they love hoarding gold works for you?

Dsyndrome

Saw some thing (forget where) where the dragon's breath is flammable, and the there's some kind of igniter right as it's coming out of the dragon's mouth. Whatever movie/game it was used that to the hero's advantage to keep it from breathing fire.

I like to go with that mentality rather than fire coming up from it's throat.

Dr Dogg

Flint for teeth, petrol for stomach acid and a palate made of asbestos.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Cover yourself in dragon saliva whenever you use a zippo.
Do it safe, you won't be sorry.

Probably special gland in mouth that "creates" the fire and their saliva has some special properties to protecting their mouth
hmmm... I don't like that excuse but at least you're trying.
dragons are always more resistant to fire in games tho
but it still damages them
that was lame lol
so the part where they're massive lizards with wings that arent proportional at all and incapable of producing flight and that they love hoarding gold works for you?
its silly but actually yes, I can work with that. but when it can breath fire AND you can damage it with fire even a little thats where you lose me. it shouldn't be able to be damaged by fire if that thing spews it out 24/7. how has it not gotten to the point where they just go "oh you trying to damage me with fire? I eat that shit bro, come at me"
Saw some thing (forget where) where the dragon's breath is flammable, and the there's some kind of igniter right as it's coming out of the dragon's mouth. Whatever movie/game it was used that to the hero's advantage to keep it from breathing fire.

I like to go with that mentality rather than fire coming up from it's throat.
so like what Lolcomin said. >_>

honestly my issue is with how fire damages them rather than where it comes from but its kind of a connected issue i guess

Caerith

The part where they love hoarding gold is explained by them being inherently magical creatures, like leprechauns or bankers.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Is Stellaris not showing up for anyone else? I just clicked through and saw it loading up and then the page just vanished. I searched for it in the search box and it shows up but clicking on it just reloads the homepage.

It's not officially shown on gamescom yet, someone probably mistakenly launched the steam page early so they took it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom