• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel81

That Mirror's Edge trailer is making want to play through the original again. Maybe this time I'll also tackle the DLC that I purchased a while back. Last time(2010), turning on the physx effects caused my poor system with a 5770 to lock up during a glass shattering scene in level 2(I think).

Caerith

Any system req. yet for XCOM2?
Guess I won't be able to run it with a Nvidia GTX 460 or Ati Mobility Radeon HD5650?

XCOM 2 doesn't look much different from XCOM EU, and Firaxis tends not to require much beyond a lot of disk space, so you'll probably be fine.

Deques

Just installed Win10, now installing Steam which seems to have the same problem as I had when I installed Win8.1 which is that it doesn't want to be installed

Knurek

That Mirror's Edge trailer is making want to play through the original again. Maybe this time I'll also tackle the DLC that I purchased a while back. Last time(2010), turning on the physx effects caused my poor system with a 5770 to lock up during a glass shattering scene in level 2(I think).

Yeah, now that I have an NVIDIA GPU, I should play Mirror's Edge again.
This time with all the fancy shit DICE made UE3 do.

//EDIT

Folks, decision time...
Would you be interested in actual weekly sale ownership data for all Steam games? Like, top-25 selling games thread with additional data provided online?
I think I found a relatively hassle-free way of getting that data off of SteamSpy, are people interested in that though?

Arthea

On the steam forum someone mentioned that going into the .INI file and changing the FPS lock from 60 to 120 fixed their 30 fps issue. Seems like a long shot to me but no harm in trying? Compatibility mode may help too (XP SP3?).

AFAIK the game does try to do some scaling for weak setups but not sure if this is causing the 30fps or what it bases it on.

That doesn't make sense, but I'll try, not that I have any other ideas, anyway
It seems FFF doesn't use the same engine as Nep Nep, I thought it used the same.

I wouldn't call my specs weak, they are ways higher than recommended FFF reqs
oh well

Knurek

That doesn't make sense, but I'll try, not that I have any other ideas, anyway
It seems FFF doesn't use the same engine as Nep Nep, I thought it used the same.

I wouldn't call my specs weak, they are ways higher than recommended FFF reqs
oh well

Do you have an ATI GPU?
If FFF uses OpenGL, as Nep Nep did, your woes might be caused by famously mediocre ATI OpenGL support.

I've started to see how New Vegas's quests are better than 3's, interesting choices(not just saint/dick), also interesting scenarios as well. But the game would be much better if it didn't get stuck in infinite loading screens half the time I launched the game, does anyone know how to fix it permanently?

Also,
ILIXl0y.png

kurahador

Anyone has any idea how to change from x86 to x64 without resorting to full hdd wipe? Don't have enough externals to save my 2TB of stuff.

Folks, decision time...
Would you be interested in actual weekly sale ownership data for all Steam games? Like, top-25 selling games thread with additional data provided online?
I think I found a relatively hassle-free way of getting that data off of SteamSpy, are people interested in that though?

qlTZoZt.gif

Arthea

Do you have an ATI GPU?
If FFF uses OpenGL, as Nep Nep did, your woes might be caused by famously mediocre ATI OpenGL support.

nah, I have 760, I actually have two gpus now, that might be part of my problem of setting up some games, not used to this.

edited: I actually know what you are talking about because my last ATI card was basically overheating when any OpenGL game was running, so annoying.

Caerith

I've started to see how New Vegas's quests are better than 3's, interesting choices(not just saint/dick), also interesting scenarios as well. But the game would be much better if it didn't get stuck in infinite loading screens half the time I launched the game, does anyone know how to fix it permanently?

Also,
ILIXl0y.png

You mean infinite as in the roulette wheel stops moving and you have to Alt+F4 and try again? Changing the fallout.ini file should do it:

Open up the fallout.ini file in: Documents\My Games\Fallout New Vegas:
Find the line: bUseThreadedAI=0
Change it to: bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert: iNumHWThreads=2
This will prevent the game from using more than two cores. Multi-cores cause crashes in the Gamebyro Engine. If the game still crashes change to: iNumHWThreads=1
Between this and the YUP patch, I stopped getting crashes altogether, so I hope it works for you.

Sarcasm

PowerDVD and a few emulators were giving me issues after the upgrade, which were resolved after a clean install. It's a good idea to do the latter.

You have to do an upgrade in place BEFORE you can clean install regardless if you downloaded the ISO or to USB using the media creator tool.

Unless of course you bought W10 and have a key.

Arthea

Yeah, now that I have an NVIDIA GPU, I should play Mirror's Edge again.
This time with all the fancy shit DICE made UE3 do.

//EDIT

Folks, decision time...

I am interested in such info, I only wish you could exclude f2p games, or make two different tops, one without any f2p in it, but it's probably too much work.

Miguel81

You have to do an upgrade in place BEFORE you can clean install regardless if you downloaded the ISO or to USB using the media creator tool.

That's what I did. Upgrade via tool, than do a clean install.

Deques

How do I do a clean install after upgrade, how do I obtain my Windows serial key?

Arthea

just checked FFF sales, ya I know it's too early, and I hope that those numbers are way higher, because so far it is 9,796 ± 4,288...

Since when are f2p games sold? :p

well, as that list is based on ownership, all Knurek's lists consisted mostly of f2p games!

Sarcasm

How do I do a clean install after upgrade, how do I obtain my Windows serial key?

If you did the free upgrade you don't have a key but MS learns your hardware (so who knows how screwed I am if I upgrade and I will at some point).

You can do ISO than burn to DVD or plug in an USB (best to have it empty) and put it straight to USB using: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Than just boot from which ever you use.

At CD key screen hit skip (if it asks again skip til it stops cause it will - but I only had to click on it once for the few screens it asked).

Knurek

I am interested in such info, I only wish you could exclude f2p games, or make two different tops, one without any f2p in it, but it's probably too much work.

That's the idea, separate list for F2P and discarding the 'free weekend' absurd rise of ownership.

just checked FFF sales, ya I know it's too early, and I hope that those numbers are way higher, because so far it is 9,796 ± 4,288...

That's average of three days, two of which had no sale data.
I guesstimate about 40k sales, judging from previous titles and placement in the top10 list on Steam.

Kiru

If you did the free upgrade you don't have a key but MS learns your hardware (so who knows how screwed I am if I upgrade and I will at some point).

You can do ISO than burn to DVD or plug in an USB (best to have it empty) and put it straight to USB using: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

At CD key screen hit skip (if it asks again skip til it stops cause it will - but I only had to click on it once for the few screens it asked).
Or just use the "reset this pc"-option and pick "remove everything". From what I learned, that is also a clean install after upgrading.

-Deimos

Also,
ILIXl0y.png

Hurry up Nuuvemmmmm

Finished The Talos Principle, really cool game, one of the best paced puzzle games I've ever played, The difficulty curve is spot on and the lore and little bits of backstory were really interesting. Got 100% of the sigils and stars and did 3 of the how ever many endings.

dex3108

I didn't realise the quest hadn't been marked as complete until several hours after I'd actually completed it. :( It'd be nice if CDPR gave PC players the option of marking quests as complete via the console; doing so would allow affected users to sidestep buggy quests while CDPR works on proper fixes.

Their mistake is that they didn't mark those items as quest items so whenever you take them game can register that. Instead of that if you wander around and find place before quest makes you find it you are doomed.

Deques

So changing GPU is a no no? That doesn't sound too good

dex3108

So changing GPU is a no no? That doesn't sound too good

You can always call MS Support. When i changed my GPU Win 8.1 deactivated itself so i called MS Support and they activated it without issue. Same thing happened when i changed my HDD to SSD (i copied my HDD to SSD via Samsung tool) and they activated my Win without issues.

Miguel81

Finished The Talos Principle, really cool game, one of the best paced puzzle games I've ever played, The difficulty curve is spot on and the lore and little bits of backstory were really interesting. Got 100% of the sigils and stars and did 3 of the how ever many endings.

It's one of the puzzle games that I really need to pick up as soon as possible. The imagery is already enticing on my end.

Dr Dogg

Microsoft has always determined your computer via your motherboard. Always has, pretty much always will. The make, model and serial number is what is used (I've had some fun and games with support for OEM licences after RMAing a motherboard which came back different) and on some devices, namely notebooks, tablets and some SI builds, the product key is embedded in your motherboard's BIOS. You can pretty much change every single component of your PC other than your motherboard and it still the same device as far as Windows activation is concerned (there are a few odd exceptions though).

Arthea

Microsoft has always determined your computer via your motherboard. Always has, pretty much always will. The make, model and serial number is what is used (I've had some fun and games with support for OEM licences after RMAing a motherboard which came back different) and on some devices, namely notebooks, tablets and some SI builds, the product key is embedded in your motherboard's BIOS. You can pretty much change every single component of your PC other than your motherboard and it still the same device as far as Windows activation is concerned (there are a few odd exceptions though).

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that from win10 onwards your win license will be MS account related, not PC related, at least I remember reading something like this. It wasn't a dream, or was it?

I just noticed that gog has Aquaria on there now. It's such a lovely little aquatic metroidvania and at a good price too.

this reminds that I need to play it still (on steam), or rather want, only all those new games get in a way of me doing so.

I wonder what are my chances of finishing FFF until FF0 releases, probably nil.

derExperte

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that from win10 onwards your win license will be MS account related, not PC related, at least I remember reading something like this. It wasn't a dream, or was it?

Both. License and PC info will be save in your MS account. At least that's what MS says but has anyone by now tried activating a license on a completely different PC and what actually happens?

Arthea

Both. License and PC info will be save in your MS account. At least that's what MS says but has anyone by now tried activating a license on a completely different PC and what actually happens?

Even more confusing is a fact that I have 3 MS accounts, I tried to merge two, but MS refused to do it. It was an accident, or two accidents. So basically I have 3 licences now, at least I hope so.

Knurek

Microsoft has always determined your computer via your motherboard. Always has, pretty much always will. The make, model and serial number is what is used

I have a boxed (not OEM) copy of Windows 7.
Do you know if my licence is covered when changing the mobo?
What about when I change to Win10?

L.O.R.D

arggggg
i can't stand the G2A GamesCom Conference
its soo boring and he keep talking about the same shit , then he apologies about when he fucked up ( far cry 4 and AC unity ) and how they reacted quickly
the audience ? its like only the Worker in G2A in there
the rest are from the stream

BTW , i just noticed they have a store in ebay , i wonder if they will return the not working keys

Dr Dogg

Well considering you don't need a Microsoft Account to upgrade or install Windows 10 it's not the de facto authorisation method. But like derExperte said there were some rumblings from Microsoft that licence details would be bound to a Microsoft account but the messaging has been so horible from them as always who knows what the score is.

I have a boxed (not OEM) copy of Windows 7.
Do you know if my licence is covered when changing the mobo?
What about when I change to Win10?

As in a Retail Licence? Should be 3 machine limit with 1 concurrent activation at a time. Technically what happens when you upgrade to Windows 10 is that your product key doesn't become a Windows 10 key but is granted rights to Windows 10. Hence why you can't put your product key into Windows 10 as a fresh install due to still being a Windows 7/8/8.1 licence but have to upgrade first, which grants your licence Win 10 usage rights, then if you want a clean installation do so afterwards. Whether this would still carry the usual usage rights of retail licences (3 machine limit, 1 activated) I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom