• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

The characters are shit, the story is shit, the combat is shit and insulting simplistic.

FF13 is a shit game and should only be purchased in the vain hope that one day, somehow, SE will make another game worth buying again and will decide to release it on steam. Which incidentally, Type 0 is not such a game, since it is incredibly mediocre in every way, but still a billion times better than FF13.

I can name 99 things that are wrong with FF13, but combat system is certainly not one, unless you judge by 20 hour tutorial, not many get beyond that, true.
The combat is only thing that made me finish FF13, that and a game is beautiful.

And if combat is "shit and insulting simplistic", what is Bethesda combat? Lobotomising?
you do understand that there can be no discussion with level of hyperbole you are employing, don't you?

Arthea

I tried that 120 fps lock trick for Fairy Fencer, it didn't work, I get higher fps now (makes no sense, but it kinda works), aroudish 40-50, but it's not stable.
Why of why this keeps happening to me... I want my 60fps.

Arthea

I just want incentive to finish it.

Trails FC achievements are fine now, fixed, many were bugged when a game was released, if you started a game then, as me, you have to start anew to get those cheevos, unfortunately. I actually plan to do that, even if Trails is by no means a short game.

Knurek

I tried that 120 fps lock trick for Fairy Fencer, it didn't work, I get higher fps now (makes no sense, but it kinda works), aroudish 40-50, but it's not stable.
Why of why this keeps happening to me... I want my 60fps.

Did you check with Afterburner what usage you're getting GPU/CPU-wise?
Might be the hot weather wreaking havoc on your CPU.
Might be the game uses so little of your GPU, it keeps downclocking itself (like what's happening for some folks in Dark Souls)

Maniac

Banned
I didn't know there were other Danes in here. Join our Denmark OT.

Daneland represent!

We're the coolest europeans around! Especially in the north. Also we're everywhere! Or so we should be, anyway.

And we're way cooler than those darn Norwegians, Swedes & Finns.
Parsnip, Fanto and a few others notwithstanding.
I love that you share when new store pages go up on Steam, so I just wanted to say thank you, and keep it up lashman! :)

Only soulless, monstrous people would ever dislike lashman.

You monsters.

Caerith

The characters are shit, the story is shit, the combat is shit and insulting simplistic.

FF13 is a shit game and should only be purchased in the vain hope that one day, somehow, SE will make another game worth buying again and will decide to release it on steam. Which incidentally, Type 0 is not such a game, since it is incredibly mediocre in every way, but still a billion times better than FF13.

I'd rather not respond in kind to such a well-reasoned argument, but could you expand on some of your points? Namely, all of them?

I'd rather not respond in kind to such a well-reasoned argument, but could you expand on some of your points? Namely, all of them?

Which part confuses you?

Do you like the characters? Are you going to defend the story? Do you not know that you can use the exact same cycle of attacks to complete the entire game? Sorry if you never worked that out.

There is not much room for discussion because FF13 is indefensible garbage from start to finish. It just can't be seriously admired.

I can name 99 things that are wrong with FF13, but combat system is certainly not one, unless you judge by 20 hour tutorial, not many get beyond that, true.
The combat is only thing that made me finish FF13, that and a game is beautiful.

And if combat is "shit and insulting simplistic", what is Bethesda combat? Lobotomising?
you do understand that there can be no discussion with level of hyperbole you are employing, don't you?

Bringing up Bethesda combat to defend FF13 says it all. What next, the variety of AC? The rpg depth of bioshock? The carefully crafted storytelling of star ocean 4?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
MGSV platform comparison

PC vs PS4 said:
pic_motherbase_pc_z1.jpg
pic_motherbase_pc_z2.jpg
pic_mission_pc_z1.jpg
pic_mission_pc_z2.jpg

Arthea

Did you check with Afterburner what usage you're getting GPU/CPU-wise?
Might be the hot weather wreaking havoc on your CPU.
Might be the game uses so little of your GPU, it keeps downclocking itself (like what's happening for some folks in Dark Souls)

maybe, I'll check today

the funny part is that a game is not so actiony that I would need those 60 fps, I'm just jelly of all those people that are getting stable 60 fps with no better specs than mine.

Arthea

Bringing up Bethesda combat to defend FF13 says it all. What next, the variety of AC? The rpg depth of bioshock? The carefully crafted storytelling of star ocean 4?

I was just pointing out how ridiculous your statement is, value of everything is known in comparison, if FF13 battle system is as bad as you say, I'm not sure we even have words for those hundreds of games with really bad combat.

MGSV platform comparison: http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/jp/products/compare.php5

PC vs PS4

Too bad about 60fps max but the severe lack of lighting on consoles beyond 1 meter is extremely noticeable.

No PS4 vs X1 lol.
Hey look, current gen looks better than last gen!

At first I wondered if PS4 is sub-1080p because it looks blurry compared to PC but PC pics are 3840x2160.

Quite a difference.
PC version looks great, I was really pleased with GZ.

Like expected the rumors of 1080p on X1 were BS. Frame-rate will probably be far from a solid 60 too.

Caerith

Which part confuses you?

Do you like the characters? Are you going to defend the story? Do you not know that you can use the exact same cycle of attacks to complete the entire game? Sorry if you never worked that out.

There is not much room for discussion because FF13 is indefensible garbage from start to finish. It just can't be seriously admired.

Bring up Bethesda combat to defend FF13 says it all. What next, the variety of AC? The rpg depth of bioshock?

I'd be lying if I said I was confused at how anyone would dismiss FF13 as "shit" and then pine for the good ol' days of FFs that, in reality, 13 is certainly no worse than.

The part that confuses me is where you think posting, and I'll paraphrase, "your opinion is shit," can in any way be construed as helpful.

Arthea

I'd be lying if I said I was confused at how anyone would dismiss FF13 as "shit" and then pine for the good ol' days of FFs that, in reality, 13 is certainly no worse than.

The part that confuses me is where you think posting, and I'll paraphrase, "your opinion is shit," can in any way be construed as helpful.

nope, I can't agree with that definitely, it I was to rank FF games, 13 would be near the bottom for a reason of lack of gameplay variety alone. It's by no means a good FF game, but combat is good and system is creative, fast and thrilling, also there is a lot of combat in that game, with hunts and all.
I also don't think that comparing old games with new works, in some cases it does, in games as removed as NES, SNES it really doesn't.

Tizoc

The one thing FF13 has going for it is its combat but that's just it. You can skip the story parts and go for 100% cheevo completion and it'd take under 80 hours at best.

I never said your opinion was wrong, mine is just right.

I'll also state that FF13 is worse than FF6. I'm now two for two and always happy to help.

derExperte

Despite all the glitches (won't bother to list the latest one, needless to say I had to restart from a checkpoint) B:Origins isn't so bad after all. I think I liked the main story more than that of City but won't bother collecting everything in this, it's just too much, feels even more like filler than before and I'd rather not burn out before the fixed AK arrives. Off to play the DLC....

Dr Dogg

MGSV platform comparison: http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/jp/products/compare.php5

PC vs PS4

Too bad about 60fps max but the severe lack of lighting on consoles beyond 1 meter and basically no details in the distance are extremely noticeable, seems to be even worse than in GZ.

It reminds me of a time gone by how in forward rendered engines console titles could only muster 1, maybe at a push 2, dynamic lights on screen at a time where on a decent PC lighting would be enough to cover a Christmas tree. When titles like Dead Space showed the advantages of deferred rendered lighting with 10's of lights on screen at a time even on consoles it was really a great step forward. I guess with new rendering techniques like PBR the performance cost is getting greater again that something has to give on fixed hardware. To be fair though Koji Pro are aiming for a fixed 60fps update so that's commendable that they can get the game looking like it does and not have to sacrifice a native framebuffer (at least for sure on PS4) but at the cost of a much, much shorter range of LOD scaling.

As much as I liked my Friday releases, woo a day early now!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

PC vs PS4

Too bad about 60fps max but the severe lack of lighting on consoles beyond 1 meter and basically no details in the distance are extremely noticeable, seems to be even worse than in GZ.
Even though my PC can run the PC version way better than the ps4 settings wise I'm gonna buy the ps4 version because that is where the series belongs.

Arthea

soon.jpg

I have several games not redeemed and I already decided what my 3K game will be, I would have preferred it to be Trails SC... but that's not gonna happen yet again.

What's in it for you? something, you'll see, if I have time today

no, it has nothing to do with SE, but it was too tempting

I never said your opinion was wrong, mine is just right.

I'll also state that FF13 is worse than FF6. I'm now two for two and always happy to help.

we agree on that at least, but here will come Knurek saying that FF6 is the worst FF ever. Nothing new in FF world as usual.

So, do you like any FF aside of FF6?

derExperte

I never played a FF more than an hour and even I know FF6 is the best.

Even though my PC can run the PC version way better than the ps4 settings wise I'm gonna buy the ps4 version because that is where the series belongs.

Kojima never meant for those lights to be on, it's from that part after Snake forgot to pay the electricity bills. Artistic vision compromised by PC yet again.

Caerith

nope, I can't agree with that definitely, it I was to rank FF games, 13 would be near the bottom for a reason of lack of gameplay variety alone. It's by no means a good FF game, but combat is good and system is creative, fast and thrilling, also there is a lot of combat in that game, with hunts and all.
I also don't think that comparing old games with new works, in some cases it does, in games as removed as NES, SNES it really doesn't.

Is gameplay variety that important? I mean, FFX has the most variety, but lightning dodging, butterfly chasing, chocobo racing, blitzball, etc aren't actually fun.

Dr Dogg

That did make me chuckle when that was said in here as it completely forgets that Metal Gear started life on the MSX, you know Microsoft's venture into home computing.

Arthea

Is gameplay variety that important? I mean, FFX has the most variety, but lightning dodging, butterfly chasing, chocobo racing, blitzball, etc aren't actually fun.

some is fun, some is opposite of fun, but ya FFX is so much better than FF13 that it is not even a contest. FF7 has even more, FF8 is close too, the heck most FFs have it in abundance.
Variety of gameplay is main reason I stick with FF for years, so ya, that's most important thing, at least for me that's what FF means.

Couldn't you download both of them for free from Bethesdas website for years now?

edit: yup

http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/

http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/

not that I really remember, that's why I decided to post.

Pachimari

I don't understand this kind of thinking. I guess I were thinking like this years ago, but I don't feel anything belongs to anything.

[edit]
My sarcasm meter is probably broken too.

I don't get this logic. The brand of the hardware that is running the game is more important to you than the experience provided by the actual game?
You're telling me the graphical downgrade is worth it just to play it on a Playstation™?
If I'm going to play a game I'm going to want the best possible version (unless I can't afford the hardware which is not your case), who gives a fuck about who sold you the silicon?

Disregard my post if my sarcasm detector is broken.

Edit: OK, it's broken. But seriously, I've seen this kind of logic a lot lately and I don't fucking get it.

Arthea

That did make me chuckle when that was said in here as it completely forgets that Metal Gear started life on the MSX, you know Microsoft's venture into home computing.

IDK, I thought that joke was way out of Stallion character, I even read that post twice.

They're just links to the Elder Scrolls-hosted installers, which Bethesda put up way back in 2004 (Arena) and 2009 (Daggerfall).

ya, it was pointed out already by Inframan
I can't take that post back now!

Pachimari

I don't know if I should complete Ground Zeroes before I start up The Phantom Pain. Can't decide. Maybe I should, since it isn't that long?
It's actually the first time I don't have a desire to complete a Metal Gear game.

I don't know if I should complete Ground Zeroes before I start up The Phantom Pain. Can't decide. Maybe I should, since it isn't that long?
It's actually the first time I don't have a desire to complete a Metal Gear game.

It's very short and basically V's prologue, it would be silly not to finish it.
Oh, and it's also awesome.

Dr Dogg

what now?
not another drama, pretty please! let's all have fun not war

No you lot not spotting what was obviously a piss take post by Stall. About a subtle as a flaming bag of dog shit on the porch.

I blitzed through it the other day to get all the collectable XOF patches and it took me 28 minutes and that was checking a video for their locations at the same time. You can also import your save data to The Phantom Pain so I imagine stuff like who you rescue might have some effect on The Phantom Pain, maybe some easter eggs for the Extra Ops or such like.

You should. You won't have any feeling of being burned out as well.

You can also import your save data to The Phantom Pain so I imagine stuff like who you rescue might have some effect on The Phantom Pain, maybe some easter eggs for the Extra Ops or such like.
I forgot there was that feature. :/

Caerith

some is fun, some is opposite of fun, but ya FFX is so much better than FF13 that it is not even a contest. FF7 has even more, FF8 is close too, the heck most FFs have it in abundance.
Variety of gameplay is main reason I stick with FF for years, so ya, that's most important thing, at least for me that's what FF means.

Yeah I'm not like that. I kinda don't care if a game has lots of variety if that variety isn't any good and, for me, quantity can never replace quality. I think FF9, for instance, is at its strongest when your party is just Zidane, Vivi, Garnet, and Steiner, but at its weakest when it adds four more people to the party and makes you chase frogs and play card games. I think FF6 is certainly good at lots of things it does, but it's also extremely bloated (fourteen party members). FF13 is the most streamlined FF, all combat apart from chocobo digging, and maybe that makes it the worst FF but it's kinda also the only one that I'd actually enjoy playing again.

didamangi

Steam shortcuts not available in Windows 10 Search is annoying :/

Well if you just want to finish it, I reach the end ~30 minutes on my first playthrough (on my friend's PC)

There's a lot of side mission content and stuff to do in the game though.

Wow....quite the difference.

Wot

Joke post or not, ew.

I'd finish it. You can complete it in less than an hour just doing the 'story' portion. Be warned though, I found the ending cutscene to be.....a bit unsettling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom