• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Groupees bundle

tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

By the transitive property, does this mean that Hellblade is the new Groupees bundle?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well GAF, it was bound to happen. My 24 inch Viewsonic monitor I've had since 2009 has finally given out on me.

I'm thinking of getting a WQHD (2560x1440) display. I'm worried about my (also quite aging) Radeon HD7850 keeping up.

There isn't too much data in the Enhanced Steam surveys for WQHD yet. GAF, has 1440p gaming improved much or should I just stick with 1080p?

Annubis

Well GAF, it was bound to happen. My 24 inch Viewsonic monitor I've had since 2009 has finally given out on me.

Yeah... I'm more and more scared about my 2009 Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW.
Great screen. I'll definitively be bummed when it dies... which is probably getting closer and closer.

Knurek

I'm thinking of getting a WQHD (2560x1440) display. I'm worried about my (also quite aging) Radeon HD7850 keeping up.

My 750 TI (which is slightly slower than your GPU) is barely enough to keep up with 1080p. I don't think you have a prayer in hell of getting reasonable 1440p performance out of your card, especially in newish games.

Grief.exe

There isn't too much data in the Enhanced Steam surveys for WQHD yet. GAF, has 1440p gaming improved much or should I just stick with 1080p?

Going to 1440p + 144 FPS is one of the most immediately striking upgrades I have ever experienced. Most times you upgrade your GPU and you can eek out a bit more downsampling and AA, but this is so much more apparent.

I will say that it is expensive, both from an economic and rendering perspectives. 1440p brings out the major shortcomings of the 970 that 1080p likely wouldn't see.

Kifimbo

I got mine yesterday shortly after contacting him.

You'll need to log in to Desura, go to your collection, find the game, and look under "Your Keys."

This is the message I'm getting:

You need to get keys from Indie Royale where this game was purchased.

And yes, I send him a message yesterday. I guess I'll just wait till the 48 hours window is over.

eh
Their results mirrored Maximum PC’s. Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 performance was virtually identical, with one exception: AMD’s R9 295X2, a dual-GPU card, dropped almost 20 frames of performance under Windows 10 in BioShock Infinite, and crashed in Far Cry 4. AMD’s Windows 10 drivers need a bit of work to smooth over CrossFire performance.

not all things are rosy, it seems. Though im not sure i know anyone who has a crossfire AMD setup myself.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My 750 TI (which is slightly slower than your GPU) is barely enough to keep up with 1080p. I don't think you have a prayer in hell of getting reasonable 1440p performance out of your card, especially in newish games.

Going to 1440p + 144 FPS is one of the most immediately striking upgrades I have ever experienced. Most times you upgrade your GPU and you can eek out a bit more downsampling and AA, but this is so much more apparent.

I will say that it is expensive, both from an economic and rendering perspectives. 1440p brings out the major shortcomings of the 970 that 1080p likely wouldn't see.

Yeah, kinda what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I'm not made of money so I think I'll just have to stick with a cheap 1080p display for now.

Vuze

Apart from a few resolution-locked ports that didn't receive a community treatment, I haven't run into any issues yet. I think you'll have a really hard time with the 7850 though. Personally, I wouldn't opt for a 1920x1080 display at this point anymore unless you're on a really tight budget. Extra workspace is really nice and game IQ obviously benefits from the increased resolution as well.

E: #slowpoke

def sim

Apparently hasn't been posted yet:

Free copy of 'Syberia'
1. www.microids.com/gamescom2015
2. Enter code: KATE@VGL
3. Input info
4. Free key to the email you used

Just tested it, works fine.

Thanks, but it turns out I already own it. Whoops.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Default DOS, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Syberia -- MB-92C0EE85FFFBD2ED - Taken by AHA-Lambda

Dr Dogg

Yeah, kinda what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I'm not made of money so I think I'll just have to stick with a cheap 1080p display for now.

Dude come on know think about it.. You use your PC for work right? You will love the extra resolution, ergo screen real estate to code on that is for starters. Also if you get a decent monitor that handles interpolation well dropping down to 1929x1080 isn't as horrible as you think. Plus christ man PC gaming isn't set to one set of values and that's it and there are pleanty scaleable games that while you sacrifice visual fidelity or temproal resolution (ie framerate) you can still maintain native resolution. I've used 2560x1440 as a working resolution for just over 8 years now, at times on lesser GPU grunt that you, and no way am I going back to something lower on a day to day basis. Games aren't everything you do with a PC and a monitor is much, much more than resolution, frequency, pixel response or signal processing but a combination of those factors plus panel quality. This might mean you find the best monitor for you is one with a resolution of 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 2560x1440 or even 2560x1080 but trust me research in to specifically what you need, not a random forum poster, is a much better guide. I'll happily give you some recomendations to some awesome monitors but really you know your needs better than any and sites like TFT Central, PCMonitors.info or Prad have the best reviews you'll find which are a better guide than anyone here can give.

Soulflarz

Banned
^*enters for your key*
got a weird error when I tried the site, tried a few times. Odd. Hopefully it works for everyone else.

Also verified my paypal so I can buy on Nuuvem now!

Good to see people talking about/playing Syberia. It's a good adventure game, even if the protagonist is kind of a bitch and pulls off one of the biggest dick moves in adventure game history:
asking a mentally challenged boy to get a plank of wood from the riverbank because she doesn't want to get her hands dirty.

orrr...

you could buy Rocket League

No.

There is no other option really.

There are plenty.

LOL. I probably should have prefaced my post with:

"I already own Rocket League"

orrrr...
You could return that, get another $20, and buy something expensive.
just kidding, you probably couldn't return it even if you were so inclined...

Dude come on know think about it.. You use your PC for work right? You will love the extra resolution, ergo screen real estate to code on that is for starters. Also if you get a decent monitor that handles interpolation well dropping down to 1929x1080 isn't as horrible as you think. Plus christ man PC gaming isn't set to one set of values and that's it and there are pleanty scaleable games that while you sacrifice visual fidelity or temproal resolution (ie framerate) you can still maintain native resolution. I've used 2560x1440 as a working resolution for just over 8 years now, at times on lesser GPU grunt that you, and no way am I going back to something lower on a day to day basis. Games aren't everything you do with a PC and a monitor is much, much more than resolution, frequency, pixel response or signal processing but a combination of those factors plus panel quality. This might mean you find the best monitor for you is one with a resolution of 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 2560x1440 or even 2560x1080 but trust me research in to specifically what you need, not a random forum poster, is a much better guide. I'll happily give you some recomendations to some awesome monitors but really you know your needs better than any and sites like TFT Central, PCMonitors.info or Prad have the best reviews you'll find which are a better guide than anyone here can give.

Well said.

Soulflarz

Banned
orrrr...
You could return that, get another $20, and buy something expensive.
just kidding, you probably couldn't return it even if you were so inclined...

Joking about returning rocket league is just wrong.

I was going to make it an honor and shame post, hard to do with rocket league though.

Hinomura

Forgive my intrusion! :)

Heh... my 27" 1200p VA panel monitor from Jan 2008 is slowly dying, and it served me well (except for input lag and mindblowing price), and the choice for the next monitor is not very easy.

First of all I don't know how much the current one will last, the more it lasts the better monitor I'll get for the better price...

I work on PC for 8/10 hours a day and sometimes I'd like to game on it (at last my daughter enjoys herself playing!), my work consists in many things: image/photo editing, dtp, programming, "working" with text documents (imagine the classical side to side layout), spreadsheet work, etc; to add a bit of fuel on it, my hobby consists not only in playing games, but even trying to make them, so this adds a bit of programming, and making gfx and sfx.

I think I found the proper resolution / size with 1200p / 27", because higher DPI makes my eyes bleed and I think going over 27" would make bleed my wallet.

To me the best panels on the market are the VAs, and I'd like to get on the 120 / 144 Hz train. I don't care at all for 3D.

Dr Dogg, is there something I should keep an eye on already or shall I disturb you again, if possible, when the current monitor die?

Thanks!

Sajjaja

Damn had a busy morning so I wasn't able to buy FF13 from nuuvem (even though it said it was on sale for 3 days) after I asked your opinions about it. I guess it wasn't meant to be. God is probably protecting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom