• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I know I need to finish PW before I get to MGSV, so that's cool, cause it'll help me wait for a better price.

However, I don't even know how much of MGS3 is going to come into play, considering the overall plus/minus of what happened:

Naked Snake kills the unit that betrays him and his mentor earning the name Big Boss. He lost an eye to Vulgarin (IIRC), and hooked up with Eva in a cave. Crisis averted.

Having watched the opening to GZ, MGS3 didn't help me at all and I just felt like I was lost because I hadn't played PW.

He lost it to Revolver Ocelot actually but the rest is spot on

Soulflarz

Banned
Don't worry, Konami will outsource the MGS HD Collection to QLOC after TPP sells boatloads on Steam.

*googles QLOC*
*goes to their references*
*sees reference talking about how the press reviewed their game 'extremely positive'*
75 metacritic isnt bad, but in what world is that extremely positive?

Finished Binary Domain, took me 8 hours and it was a really good game, I would love to see Sega do something with the series, it has a lot of potential that a sequel could really improve. The story was surprisingly interesting too, some of the characters were kind of asses but the overall theme of the story and how it was portrayed at the end of the game was really good. The character design was really slick, and the destruction of the enemies was top notch too.

Play it folks, it's a cool game.

Grief.exe

*googles QLOC*
*goes to their references*
*sees reference talking about how the press reviewed their game 'extremely positive'*
75 metacritic isnt bad, but in what world is that extremely positive?

QLOC is famous for doing game reports, subjective reviews are irrelevant to them as the quality of their work can be measured more objectively.

The review score was likely referring to the gameplay, while the author brought up the actual performance as a positive.

Soulflarz

Banned
QLOC is famous for doing game reports, subjective reviews are irrelevant to them as the quality of their work can be measured more objectively.

The review score was likely referring to the gameplay, while the author brought up the actual performance as a positive.

Ah. So is QLOC very good at what they do, orr

Khronico

Finished Binary Domain, took me 8 hours and it was a really good game, I would love to see Sega do something with the series, it has a lot of potential that a sequel could really improve. The story was surprisingly interesting too, some of the characters were kind of asses but the overall theme of the story and how it was portrayed at the end of the game was really good. The character design was really slick, and the destruction of the enemies was top notch too.

Play it folks, it's a cool game.

Binary Domain is awesome.

Besides having fantastic gunplay, It's one of the few campaign driven third person shooters where I actually cared about the story and characters.

zkylon

zkylewd
so uhh, went from videocardless to on a borrowed laptop for the second time this year

life is weird lol

honestly i think im gonna start calling that guy javier that used to fix my computers back in the day and have him do all installations from now on. i just cant be bothered with this stuff anymore

guy used to be pretty hilarious, he'd give me hell for not cleaning it up regularly and being nice to my computer, or something like that, which was pretty weird, but he was like a wizard when it came to fixing all my weird stuff

I have significant frame drops in F:NV, in the New Vegas Strip, but my only graphical mod is EVE. Anyone knows what the heck is going on?

zkylon

zkylewd
I have significant frame drops in F:NV, in the New Vegas Strip, but my only graphical mod is EVE. Anyone knows what the heck is going on?

dunno how beefy ur computer is but the strip is a pretty taxing area

and u should install new vegas restoration, it makes the strip look so much better :>

so uhh, went from videocardless to on a borrowed laptop for the second time this year

life is weird lol

honestly i think im gonna start calling that guy javier that used to fix my computers back in the day and have him do all installations from now on. i just cant be bothered with this stuff anymore

guy used to be pretty hilarious, he'd give me hell for not cleaning it up regularly and being nice to my computer, or something like that, which was pretty weird, but he was like a wizard when it came to fixing all my weird stuff

Hope you get your computer back in working condition, Zky!

Caerith

life is weird lol

Dust is no joke. If you don't want to clean regularly, you should set your case to have positive air pressure (so air's seeping out of the cracks rather than in) and have filters on all the intake fans. Then all you need to do is clean the filters from time to time.

dunno how beefy ur computer is but the strip is a pretty taxing area

and u should install new vegas restoration, it makes the strip look so much better :>
Intel Xeon E3 1230v2 + GTX980Ti at 1080p, and I'm getting fourty something frames.
come-on.jpg

Miguel81

I think I just suffered the same glitch that derExperte mentioned before, regarding Batman Origins. No biggie, as all it took was a reload but falling through building/map was a strange experience after 50+ hours of game time.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hope you get your computer back in working condition, Zky!

yeah, i'm gonna borrow some money from my mom to like buy whatever i have to buy to get it working again

i should save up to have a laptop of my own, i can't really afford not to have a backup computer in case mine dies, specially considering how often that's been happening, but those things are expensive and i'm not gonna get decent money next year at the soonest

i was counting on getting a macbook pro in a couple months but that's gonna be delayed a lot because of some unforseen shit sooo that's that

will see, need to be less dumb with money and start seriously saving it instead of like treating people to dinner and lunch every week lol

Dust is no joke. If you don't want to clean regularly, you should set your case to have positive air pressure (so air's seeping out of the cracks rather than in) and have filters on all the intake fans. Then all you need to do is clean the filters from time to time.
i bet, but i really can't be bothered. doing like maintenance stuff and changing parts and everything is such a frustrating and tiring experience for me that i really wish to reduce it as much as possible

from now on i think i'll take the money hit and just have someone do it for me every time

Intel Xeon E3 1230v2 + GTX980Ti at 1080p, and I'm getting fourty something frames.
come-on.jpg
yeah that's weird, but new vegas isn't very optimized i guess and the strip is a busy area, big open space with like lots of unique textures and animated models and npcs and stuff.

you should try that mod, and maybe some other mods too, some of them clean up stuff like the pathing limits and collisions and useless props and wonky whatevers and that helps with performance

a golden opportunity was missed here.
i was gonna make the reference, but then i remembered that this morning i was pretty excited to finally get to ep2 of lis, and i was downloading i and everything, and now i can't, and that was pretty sad

yeah, i'm gonna borrow some money from my mom to like buy whatever i have to buy to get it working again

i should save up to have a laptop of my own, i can't really afford not to have a backup computer in case mine dies, specially considering how often that's been happening, but those things are expensive and i'm not gonna get decent money next year at the soonest

i was counting on getting a macbook pro in a couple months but that's gonna be delayed a lot because of some unforseen shit sooo that's that

will see, need to be less dumb with money and start seriously saving it instead of like treating people to dinner and lunch every week lol

i bet, but i really can't be bothered. doing like maintenance stuff and changing parts and everything is such a frustrating and tiring experience for me that i really wish to reduce it as much as possible

from now on i think i'll take the money hit and just have someone do it for me every time

yeah that's weird, but new vegas isn't very optimized i guess and the strip is a busy area, big open space with like lots of unique textures and animated models and npcs and stuff.

you should try that mod, and maybe some other mods too, some of them clean up stuff like the pathing limits and collisions and useless props and wonky whatevers and that helps with performance

i was gonna make the reference, but then i remembered that this morning i was pretty excited to finally get to ep2 of lis, and i was downloading i and everything, and now i can't, and that was pretty sad
Ouch, that really sucks. :(

I hope your fortune takes a turn for the better soon.

Hrm, been away for 2 weeks..

Anything fun get released in the last 2 weeks worth mentioning?
Fairy Fencer F received a lot of buzz recently.

Caerith

It is tiring, so do it once and set it up right so you don't have to do it again, you know? Like, take an hour to clean it out, compressed air and a vacuum attachment and whatever, then wrap your fans in nylon hose to keep the dust out, and then voila dust stops getting in and things stop breaking.

I wanted to play Binary Domain but as I don't have an official 360 controller all the buttons were all over the place, LT and RT were looking up and down instead of the right stick etc... and there was no way to reassign them. Lost interest after that.

Miguel81

All of this Binary Domain love makes me want to finally experience another one of these underrated gems.

It looks pretty snazzy. Initially wrote it off as a b-rate GoW clone, but I'll have to experience it for myself.

I wanted to play Binary Domain but as I don't have an official 360 controller all the buttons were all over the place, LT and RT were looking up and down instead of the right stick etc... and there was no way to reassign them. Lost interest after that.

You can't use x360ce?

zkylon

zkylewd
while i most definitely liked the goofiness and big bo and shit i don't think binary domain was as great as it's made out to be

like it's pretty good, but it's no vanquish, the combat is serviceable and that's as far as it goes, tho turning robots into scrap is admittedly super satisfying, and the big robot designs are super cool. there's some other cool ideas with the responses you give to ur squadmates that are tied with like relationship bars and their actions in combat, but all of that is super lite and didn't end up being too important in my experience

the story is really fun tho, it's dumb in a very entertaining way, kind of a more subdued and a more weird vanquish in that regard, but it's not gonna blow u away with its gameplay like vanquish would

no third person shooter ever will

Ouch, that really sucks. :(

I hope your fortune takes a turn for the better soon.

Fairy Fencer F received a lot of buzz recently.
ty, and ty for the nice things u said on twitter

It is tiring, so do it once and set it up right so you don't have to do it again, you know? Like, take an hour to clean it out, compressed air and a vacuum attachment and whatever, then wrap your fans in nylon hose to keep the dust out, and then voila dust stops getting in and things stop breaking.
well i dont know how to do most of what u said, i dont know wha a nylon hose is or a vaccuum atachment or whatever and tbh my computer doesn't get that dirty anyways

Teeth

All of this Binary Domain love makes me want to finally experience another one of these underrated gems.

Lower your expectations. It's good but not amazing. The people who put it up there with Vanquish and RE4 (or even Gears) are kinda crazy. Plus, the mouse controls are really bad, so you'll likely want to use a controller (bleh).

Additionally, the fun hook of the game (voice controlled squad interaction) is a total pain to setup and get working, so a lot of that charm is shoved to the wayside.

That said, the damage model on the robots makes for much more fun shooting than your average all-headshots-all-day bog standard shooters, and like most of the better Japanese games, the boss battles are highlights instead of troughs of tedium.

The characters are fun, though there are a LOT of cutscenes and a decent amount of forced walking sections masquerading as atmospheric "interact with the environment" parts (think: Uncharted 2's Tibetan village). Also, while I know it can be an acquired taste, the art style is pure Silent Scope blue skies, grey buildings, antiseptic streets.

The actual game part of the game, outside of the boss fights, has pretty bog standard encounter design for a upper-mid tier cover based shooter. Narrow FOV (which you can change in the ini I think, but the game is built for its narrow FOV with enemies appearing like pixels in the distance with any sort of increase over the default), wide bullet bloom that relies on RNG and aim magnetism for bullet pull, and a whole lot of stopping and popping.

It's a good, not great game.

Lomax

It looks pretty snazzy. Initially wrote it off as a b-rate GoW clone, but I'll have to experience it for myself.

You can't use x360ce?

I had the same problem and no, x360ce didn't fix it. Sega had an era of really bad ports and while Binary Domain isn't that bad (certainly not compared to Viking), it does have some issues. It would actually be better if it didn't recognize the controller at all I think, then x360ce would probably work, but it somehow recognizes it but screws it up.

I've actually had exactly the same problem with a bundle of Japanese ports (Gurumin was another) and sometimes the publishers fix it and sometimes they don't. Considering it always happens exactly that same way, there must be some fundamental disconnect (different config in Japan maybe?) that causes games to release with those problems.

Caerith

well i dont know how to do most of what u said, i dont know wha a nylon hose is or a vaccuum atachment or whatever and tbh my computer doesn't get that dirty anyways

Nylon, you know, the thin material sometimes worn by women (on their legs), surfers (on parts they don't want stung by jellyfish), and bank robbers (on their heads)? It's a fine mesh that keeps dust out and lets air through and is cheaper than most PC case filters.

But if your computer doesn't get dusty or overheat then you're probably fine.

Nylon, you know, the thin material sometimes worn by women (on their legs), surfers (on parts they don't want stung by jellyfish), and bank robbers (on their heads)? It's a fine mesh that keeps dust out and lets air through and is cheaper than most PC case filters.

Nylon rhymes with zyklon.

Coincidence?

zkylon

zkylewd

i know what nylon is, i dont know what a nylon hose is or where u buy it or how u would install it or whatever :p

there's def some dust when i open it up, but i don't feel that's the reason i've been having problems

i think it's a really really big streak of bad luck since like it's extended to like my ps3 and my mouse and my cellphone breaking down so like, it's just very unfortunate crap happening all at once, and while i'm not like a neat freak like a friend of mine that keeps like everything with the wrappers and stuff, i don't just like treat stuff like garbage or anything. like, durable stuff like my wacom and my 360 controller i have dropped a millin times and those things are sturdy af, so i think some stuff is just shitty manufacturing too

i think i'm gonna try and buy a laptop in a few months, i probably won't use it much so i shouldn't try to aim too high with it, but someting basic to survive and to demo my games and stuff would be nice.

have to think hard about it, going from like an i3 to an i5 is like twice as expensive sometimes and i don't think i'm gonna be doing like any 3d modelling on my laptop so i should probably stick to integrated videocards, but it's a nice thing to look forward to.

Caerith

i know what nylon is, i dont know what a nylon hose is or where u buy it or how u would install it or whatever :p

there's def some dust when i open it up, but i don't feel that's the reason i've been having problems

i think it's a really really big streak of bad luck since like it's extended to like my ps3 and my mouse and my cellphone breaking down so like, it's just very unfortunate crap happening all at once, and while i'm not like a neat freak like a friend of mine that keeps like everything with the wrappers and stuff, i don't just like treat stuff like garbage or anything. like, durable stuff like my wacom and my 360 controller i have dropped a millin times and those things are sturdy af, so i think some stuff is just shitty manufacturing too

i think i'm gonna try and buy a laptop in a few months, i probably won't use it much so i shouldn't try to aim too high with it, but someting basic to survive and to demo my games and stuff would be nice.

have to think hard about it, going from like an i3 to an i5 is like twice as expensive sometimes and i don't think i'm gonna be doing like any 3d modelling on my laptop so i should probably stick to integrated videocards, but it's a nice thing to look forward to.
Hose is the stuff people wear on their legs, like pantyhose but not necessarily with the panty part. Easiest way to use it is to put your case fan in one, cut off the excess, and screw your fan back in place.

Still, don't underestimate dust. It can accumulate inside your video card pretty easily and you'd never see it unless you were really looking for it. It's not, like, super dangerous, but it does make it more likely stuff is going to overheat.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I liked Binary Domain quite a bit. It's not one of the best shooters ever, but I liked the characters, story, boss battles. I'd say it's a game that has mixed reaction, some who like it a lot and some less so. But it goes on sale so often for $3.74 it really is worth trying yourself, though keep in mind the beginning part is the worst part of the game (the 'tutorial' ends when you get a cutscene that has a narrator and the title card flashes 'Binary Domain' on screen).

zkylon

zkylewd
nylon hose = pantyhose = stockings (sorta)

so... any place you can buy female undergarments, most likely.

wait so u put pantyhoses in your computer?

that sounds weird, like they would catch fire or something

Hose is the stuff people wear on their legs, like pantyhose but not necessarily with the panty part. Easiest way to use it is to put your case fan in one, cut off the excess, and screw your fan back in place.

Still, don't underestimate dust. It can accumulate inside your video card pretty easily and you'd never see it unless you were really looking for it. It's not, like, super dangerous, but it does make it more likely stuff is going to overheat.
yea that sounds out of my league

i'm not very patient for these things, i should get someone to do that for me

Caerith

wait so u put pantyhoses in your computer?

that sounds weird, like they would catch fire or something

yea that sounds out of my league

i'm not very patient for these things, i should get someone to do that for me

It's not like you just wad them up and toss them in. Basically, you can go to newegg or whatever and buy a single filter, which is a mesh in a frame, that you can put on your case for like $10. Or you can buy a pack of pantyhose for like $5 and have enough mesh material to filter dozens of fans. The stuff's super useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom