• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not old, but my first PC was a 386 (a nice, gray, Olivetti machine with a beautiful grayscale/sepia monitor)
Had that beast for some time until I inherited a Cyrix thingie from my father. Playing the Gorillas game was amazing.

Maniac

Banned
And come to talk about keyboards before. As much as I find the new ones interesting, I have done very well with my Logitech Dinovo Edge for years, even if letters has been wiped off the keys etc. I should just keep playing with that one.

Logitech really makes some sturdy shit, it's insane how long all my Logitech stuff held up.

Speaking of computers, the first I *played on* was my neighbours ancient Macintosh. We played sooooo much Warcraft 1... I still remember using the keyboard to issue commands due to the whole "only one sodding mouse button" thing. You could easily identify the buttons to issue commands, too; they were really, really worn.

Those were the days.
Those weren't the days, I had a terrible childhood and didn't enjoy life much if at all back then. Fuck those days.

______

You guys suck at helpin' me find a new wallpaper. Not a single response? I'm disappointed in you all. Not even someone linking some animoo to fuck with me. 10/10 am disappointed.

Logitech really makes some sturdy shit, it's insane how long all my Logitech stuff held up.

Speaking of computers, the first I *played on* was my neighbours ancient Macintosh. We played sooooo much Warcraft 1... I still remember using the keyboard to issue commands due to the whole "only one sodding mouse button" thing. You could easily identify the buttons to issue commands, too; they were really, really worn.

Those were the days.
Those weren't the days, I had a terrible childhood and didn't enjoy life much if at all back then. Fuck those days.

______

You guys suck at helpin' me find a new wallpaper. Not a single response? I'm disappointed in you all. Not even someone linking some animoo to fuck with me. 10/10 am disappointed.

I'm using this one: http://u.cubeupload.com/Syzygos/NMSConceptArtWallpap.png

It's from No Man's Sky. I think that there are higher res versions, but dunno where.

Lain

You kids with your windows, when I was young, we did everything on the command line, and we liked it!

I had different autoexec.bat and config.sys ready to go to change the EMS and free memory to get games to boot. Can't say I miss those days, though I fondly remember them.

Werd

This was the first computer i ever used

on one of those, i played Mechwarrior 2 and Jedi Knight before i even had an email address, which i made on June 11th, 1997.

i was no more than 3 using that beauty

I didn't remember what hardware the PC me and my brother had as kids was at all when there was a thread last week, but this IBM Aptiva looks very very familiar, might be it. Cool, going to have to ask my dad.

Ha, I didn't know until just now that that game is sorta well-known and not just some obscure thing I played once.

I lost countless hours to that game. Played against my sister, mostly.

Then, we had some educational stuff and demos that came on the magazines that my father used to buy.

Mikurden

I lost countless hours to that game. Played against my sister, mostly.

Then, we had some educational stuff and demos that came on the magazines that my father used to buy.

Yeah, I remember me and my Dad stumbling onto it once late at night after getting something set up on the PC. We also had (still have somewhere, if they're any good) a couple disks full of assorted primitive games and it was kinda like searching for treasure as you started each one up to see what it was, with only the 8-character file name to give you any hint.

Uzzy

Just played some NaissanceE, a first person walking simulator/puzzler. I had my eye on it for a while when it released, and picked it up sometime ago and promptly left it in my backlog, but today I decided to try it out. It's got an amazingly creepy ambiance to it, all geometic shapes and lights.

Here's a screenshot. I've a feeling I'm meant to get to the bottom of that.

wAOg2xk.jpg

Mikurden

Just played some NaissanceE, a first person walking simulator/puzzler. I had my eye on it for a while when it released, and picked it up sometime ago and promptly left it in my backlog, but today I decided to try it out. It's got an amazingly creepy ambiance to it, all geometic shapes and lights.

Kinda reminds me of exploring the ruins of Aperture Science in Portal 2 -- lot harder to traverse when you don't have a portal gun, though.

zkylon

zkylewd
i like the idea of a game being about the difficulty of navigating a very weird looking place, but in a way that's not platforming

so like a puzzle thing but more about finding the right path and not getting lost and all of that

kind of like miasmata

i wish miasmata was like 25% more fun to play

It's pretty cool. Might be a bit too abstract for me — I've made it decently far, but I haven't felt any substantial sense of progression, though the brutalist environments are fascinating. I find myself putting the game down for long periods of time.

dex3108

F Arkane and F Dishonored Knife of Dunwall. I still can't believe that they didn't fix respawn bug to date (if you knock out or kill everybody in one area and go out and then go back game will respawn enemies and one or more will be dead so you can say goodbye to no kill). I did whole first mission without being detected and no bodies found but then i went back in one area and triggered respawn/bug.

Eila

OS talk?
I went ME > XP > Vista > 7 > 8 > 8.1 > 10
I'm contemplating buying Type-0, but I'm not sure how much I can make back from the cards + Dota 2 skins. I was saving that money for TitS SC, but that shit is looking grim anyway.

AHA-Lambda

OS talk?
I went ME > XP > Vista > 7 > 8 > 8.1 > 10
I'm contemplating buying Type-0, but I'm not sure how much I can make back from the cards + Dota 2 skins. I was saving that money for TitS SC, but that shit is looking grim anyway.

My first was ME *shudders*

I went ME>XP>Vista>OSX (yep I went mac for quite a while) >8.1>10

For those wondering why fantomena is banned, I wrote him on Steam and it seems he posted something about Game of Thrones in a wrong thread. His ban is until 15.08.

Looks super interesting. Reminds me of a less bloody and gritty Blame!.
#ScreenshotSaturday

(Click to go straight to the teaser!)

Another music teaser, this track again by the workaholic NightmareTrigger! Let’s look to the skies on this lovely Summer day…
Such soothing sounds. NightmareTrigger really is doing a good job with this.

Backlogger

Wow, the difficulty curve for the final boss on Wolf the Old Blood is pretty crazy. I've tried around 10 or 11 times and not sure I am even getting close. I even turned down the difficulty.

Anyone else have the same problem? Or am I just being a wuss? Its getting to the point that its not worth the hassle honestly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow, the difficulty curve for the final boss on Wolf the Old Blood is pretty crazy. I've tried around 10 or 11 times and not sure I am even getting close. I even turned down the difficulty.

Anyone else have the same problem? Or am I just being a wuss? Its getting to the point that its not worth the hassle honestly.

It's a bit frustrating at first, but once you get a good rhythm down it's not too bad. It took me maybe 10-15 tries on the hardest difficulty. I recommend the silenced pistols + grenades for any dudes rushing you and the bolt-action sniper for the boss weakpoint.

L.O.R.D

so , after i play for 2 hour in psx emulator and i put the sitting to 800X600 @ 4:3 aspect ratio screen
closed the game and opened google and my face like

giphy.gif

oh man , wide screen is maybe one of the best inventions in the history

Backlogger

It's a bit frustrating at first, but once you get a good rhythm down it's not too bad. It took me maybe 10-15 tries on the hardest difficulty. I recommend the silenced pistols + grenades for any dudes rushing you and the bolt-action sniper for the boss weakpoint.

Yeah, I've tried all that. My silenced pistol runs out of ammo pretty quick though so I end up rationing grenades until I eventually run out of health and die. I always thought it was silly how many health drops they give you through out the game, but now that I am on the final boss I wish there were more.

It's fairly easy with good tactics. I was struggling with it too but was able to beat it on Uber too.

It will attack to noise, so you have to move. One way is to always shoot from top (bolt thing, for example) and then quickly drop to low level. I let monster take care of enemies

Yep, I just end up running out of health eventually with everything going on. I get the strategy, but taking damage over time seems completely unavoidable due to all the chaos.

madjoki

It's fairly easy with good tactics. I was struggling with it too but was able to beat it on Uber too.

It will attack to noise, so you have to move. One way is to always shoot from top (bolt thing, for example) and then quickly drop to low level. I let monster take care of enemies

Yep, I just end up running out of health eventually with everything going on. I get the strategy, but taking damage over time seems completely unavoidable due to all the chaos.

Not sure if this helps but: Next to stairs/wall is good spot to avoid enemy fire.

theres a mod for DOA that changes the Virtua Fighter characters to look like the old versions , finally something that i like about the game :V

CL5dpSbWwAEsEDF.jpg

Turfster

It's a shit boss design.
Basically, hide and let the boss take care of the enemies, always move immediately after shooting at him, stay at the top for the first half, then move downstairs for the second one

Backlogger

It's a shit boss design.
Basically, hide and let the boss take care of the enemies, always move immediately after shooting at him, stay at the top for the first half, then move downstairs for the second one

I feel kinda dumb now because
I think I was right at the end many times and kept getting caught up in trying to take care of zombies when I probably just needed to hit the boss 1-2 more times.

Any way, got it now guys, thanks for the tips!

Parsnip

I didn't see your earlier post so I don't know if you wanted something specific, but I've been using interfacelift for years now to get some random photography wallpapers.

derExperte

And that's Deadpool, very short but the unlock system motivates to play again on higher difficulty settings. Maybe I'll continue one day but see now that it doesn't support cloud saves. Argh. And too bad you can only skip a few cutscenes, strange. 7.5/10

Wallpapers: http://alpha.wallhaven.cc/random http://simpledesktops.com/ http://dlanham.com/ http://abduzeedo.com/tags/wallpaper

I had different autoexec.bat and config.sys ready to go to change the EMS and free memory to get games to boot. Can't say I miss those days, though I fondly remember them.

The cool kids (me) 'programmed' (if....goto) their own selection menu with which you could choose a config while booting.

AHA-Lambda

K, next game on the backlog now is Thief 2. Let's see how this goes.

I know it's a classic but it's predecessor, although enjoyable, did love it's labyrinthine level design a bit too much =/

Copons

my first windows was 3.1

im so old ;_;

Windows_2.11.png

Win 2.11 bitches!

Actually, some kind of unremembered DOS version before that, but as for Windows, then Win 2.11 was what I got back then. Lovely days indeed!

You kids with your windows, when I was young, we did everything on the command line, and we liked it!

I still do plenty in CLI, I almost always have a terminal open, especially since at some point some hipster web developer decided it was TOO cool to switch everything back to command line probably to gain some street cred with proper programmers, who knows.

also fantomena banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom