• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockdude

I use an AutoHotKey script that turns normal windows into Borderless Fullscreen with a shortcut. Totally free, and works for everything I've tried so far.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

t1cxE6r.gif
Shadow Warrior -- MB-BC89DBF8C50D85DD - Taken by TheGreenArrow

Near the end of Shadow of Mordor and really enjoying it, though it's started to get a tad repetitive. Are either of the two DLC campaigns worth playing? The reviews suggest that they aren't, but wondering what you all think.

Ascheroth

I think XSEED added Ultrawide support to all their other Falcom games so I don't see them going with it as that surprising that they went with it

Turbo mode tho is so good I use it a lot in emulators
Will it affect stuff like soundtrack here though?
No.

fuzaco

Just played a little bit of Cold Steel, and I'm convinced Durante should do every single PC port in the future.

Ludens

Banned
I'm playing FFXII and the turbo mode is great, but I also think if your game needs an almost permanent turbo mode there's something wrong in your design.

Durante

Clearly the game doesn't "need" a turbo mode, it was pretty popular on consoles without it.

But people have differing amounts of patience, and some battles are way more exciting than others.

If a jrpg need a 4x turbo mode, you can tune the game better so a feature like that is not needed.

My Trails experience was improved by the Cheat Engine turbo mode, but I wouldn't say the game needed it.

Edit:

Clearly the game doesn't "need" a turbo mode, it was pretty popular on consoles without it.

But people have differing amounts of patience, and some battles are way more exciting than others.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

dude, are you hoping to get picked up by a company eventually like you hear happens all the time (mostly with Valve) or are you good with doing freelance stuff like this?

also, did you have any inkling things would go this way when you worked on DSfix or back then it was simply a "hey I like Dark Souls and this shit is wack" and it never crossed your mind?

Erheller

I'd use a turbo mode in every turn-based game I play. Doesn't mean that they need it, or that they're badly designed, but it's another option that saves a bit of time.

Knurek

Any chance of a option to set the turbo speed? 4x might be too fast for exploration, having a selector with values between 2.0 and 4.0 might be best. Or would that be too much work for you?

Erekiddo

I caved in and purchased that Oculus Rift bundle.
unless I cancel my preorder

Anything I should know? I've been ignoring VR since its inception.

Just played a little bit of Cold Steel, and I'm convinced Durante should do every single PC port in the future.

Do you have to grind levels in this games? As in you must spend some hours leveling up to be able to proceed with the game?

I have never played any trail game before.

Do you have to grind levels in this games? As in you must spend some hours leveling up to be able to proceed with the game?

I have never played any trail game before.
Falcom games use level scaling (which doesn't affect enemy levels across the playthrough), meaning you get lots of EXP and level-ups until you're around or above enemy levels. So grinding's relatively rare in Trails and Ys, and you'll almost never be held back just because of base stats. Do pay attention to what gear you're equipping before fights, along with battle formation; make lots of cooked food to reap the benefits during battle, which range from curing ailments to super-deluxe buffs.

The real challenge of Trails is how much text's on offer, with very detailed NPCs who have their own lives happening between plot beats. Trails as a whole is a connected saga with a well-defined world, history, and politics similar to series like Suikoden, and it rewards anyone who plays this genre for story in particular.

Knurek

Also, Durante, I'm getting some judder on a G-Sync monitor with V-Sync enabled in launcher.
If I disable V-Sync (which you don't recommend), the game is smooth, but runs at 700+ fps in menus.

What are the settings you'd recommend in such a case? Limiting the FPS with RTSS/Special K/NVidia Inspector?

Edit: SpecialK is stating the game doesn't support G-Sync? Is this true?

Grief.exe

Also, Durante, I'm getting some judder on a G-Sync monitor with V-Sync enabled in launcher.
If I disable V-Sync (which you don't recommend), the game is smooth, but runs at 700+ fps in menus.

What are the settings you'd recommend in such a case? Limiting the FPS with RTSS/Special K/NVidia Inspector?

You already answered your own question. Best method right there.

Durante

Any chance of a option to set the turbo speed? 4x might be too fast for exploration, having a selector with values between 2.0 and 4.0 might be best. Or would that be too much work for you?
It's not too much work in general, just too much work for right now (since I'm in "monitoring for major things going wrong and fixing them ASAP" mode).

Edit: SpecialK is stating the game doesn't support G-Sync? Is this true?
No, G-sync is explicitly tested and should work.

The V-sync recommendation is for non-VRR monitors, so feel free to ignore it o na G-sync monitor.

Arulan

G-Sync is supposed to operate with the V-Sync (unless your purposely want it off) in the Nvidia CP or Inspector. In-game V-Sync should normally be off. Additionally, you want to use a frame-rate limiter such as in-game or RTSS with G-Sync regardless.

Falcom games use level scaling (which doesn't affect enemy levels across the playthrough), meaning you get lots of EXP and level-ups until you're around or above enemy levels. So grinding's relatively rare in Trails and Ys, and you'll almost never be held back just because of base stats. Do pay attention to what gear you're equipping before fights, along with battle formation; make lots of cooked food to reap the benefits during battle, which range from curing ailments to super-deluxe buffs.

The real challenge of Trails is how much text's on offer, with very detailed NPCs who have their own lives happening between plot beats. Trails as a whole is a connected saga with a well-defined world, history, and politics similar to series like Suikoden, and it rewards anyone who plays this genre for story in particular.

Thank you so much for the explanation, I always passed them up because honestly I cannot be bothered to grind nowadays and I figured I will have to like most old school jrpg.

One last question, you say it's a connected saga, so I cannot just jump in with the latest one? Or is it like the Witcher, as in connected yes but you still can play the 3nd one without any issues.

Finally got around to buying CrossCells. Enjoying it a lot but get the impression it's going to hurt my brain even more than HexPlusInfiniteSquareCells :O

Vlad

Finally got around to buying CrossCells. Enjoying it a lot but get the impression it's going to hurt my brain even more than HexPlusInfiniteSquareCells :O

Yeah, it's a little trickier and requires a bit more mental arithmetic than the other games in the series. I still quite enjoyed it, and there's lots of clever puzzles in there. That said, it ended at just the right time. Unlike Hexcells, I was just about done with it by the time the credits rolled.

DasFool

Well, my computer bit the BIOS bullet. I was playing Shadowverse when my computer completely froze and I tried to reboot only to find a BIOS screen. Tried a few imes to boot and reboot from there and now my computer won't even turn on. This smells like hard drive failure, but now that the power's not even working, I'm not sure. I don't know if I should just buy new parts for my PC or find a new hard drive. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom