• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
WTH, it turned into a Zelda vs. Horizon thread? GAF is weird sometimes
all the time

2 amazing games too, but of course the internet works under the Highlander Rule.

Madventure

2 amazing games too, but of course the internet works under the Highlander Rule.

0nBj16o.gif

Well I mean if they fight to the death with queen playing as background music like the shows intro I'd watch it

zkylon

zkylewd
DrOyFKw.png

finished the first area in fidel, this game is rad

i kind of wish salsa would play it

i left that snake alive to tell the tale

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Umbrella Corps

Recommended by your friend Jawmuncher

enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

Is the full version of Slime Rancher better optimized than the demo? It's a lot of fun, but even on my far-from-bleeding-edge gaming laptop (GTX 860M 2GB), it shouldn't be this hard to get a game that looks like this to hit 60fps.

Lain

So, how did that Persona event turn out? How many PC ports has Atlus announced?! I know Atlus loves PC so I expect they announced the whole catalogue.

Here's some leftovers from some GMG Mystery boxes. Pretty sure they're bad, but most of 'em have cards at least.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (electroflame, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

COSMIC ROCKET DEFENDER -- MB-105F7BCB01DAC3B1 - Taken by alr1ght. 1 entrants total.
NIHILUMBRA -- MB-437CEE1D050A410D - Taken by Javier23. 1 entrants total.
RING RUNNER -- MB-6B1CBD50B9AEE043 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
RUSHBROS -- MB-065A9645507FADEC - Taken by voodooray. 2 entrants total.
SHIPLORD -- MB-F8AE755E823B4A1E

t1501721269z1.png

Sarcasm

its the impression I got from what he said from knowing him, and from his reply, I was right.

or were you supposed to quote me trashing Xanadu and fucked up? Because if so, I havent played Xanadu, its just way too easy to trigger this place with some games. That being one of them :p

edit: tried the Slime Rancher demo, it's cute AF but I was already bored 15mins in :/ I guess farming games just arent for me (I also got bored of Stardew very fast) :(

Was a joke.

Yeah its a fun relaxing game you can play at times. I recommend it. They did add a new mode that adds challenges.

I love SDV but I can only handle so much of it either and I still recommend it.

Annubis

If I had a nickel for every time Dino Crisis has been mentioned here, I'd be rich enough to buy a new entry of the game
but I'd buy Nekopara Vol.4 instead.

Rhaknar

If I had a nickel for every time Dino Crisis has been mentioned here, I'd be rich enough to buy a new entry of the game

what if you had a nickel for how many people mention it?

Vibranium

Banned

Yes, let's mention Ace Attorney instead and get wbacon to convince Capcom to port the series to PC.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Bulb Boy -- MB-860E4F79DBF03283 - Taken by longlivegaming
Cluck Yegger in Escape From The Planet of The Poultroid -- MB-71DB85E4769004ED - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

I was considering Lionel Mandraking the shit out of Games&Girls for you, GAF.

So I watched a Let's Play.

Holy shit. It's so horrible that I can't bring myself to watch it again to do commentary. Even funny commentary.

It is literally if the "I Am A Gamer" guy made a dating sim.

Oh my God, there are going to be six more DLCs to this godforsaken game. Each with a different console.

The dude was probably upset there was no Nep-Nep dating sim and decided to make his own.

Speaking of dating sims, I just got started on that Scheherezade one you raffled off. It actually seems pretty complicated with lots of stats, more like Long Live the Queen than a run of the mill choose your own adventure. But so far I like the protagonist, I like the art deco and jazzy trumpets, and the plot is wordy but it's a visual novel so what do you expect? I'll post full impressions once I get an ending.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hacknet -- MB-E61B67D5F1FB47FF - Taken by Natty1. 3 entrants total.
Party Hard -- MB-7EE33700DEA685F9 - Taken by Erheller. 4 entrants total.
Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity -- MB-B5EF4EBE0E5D8B5A - Taken by Shalashaska. 2 entrants total.

t1501730174z1.png

Here are some random keys from the Telltale bundle!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Carl-Sagan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Carl-Sagan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Poker Night 2 -- MB-BACD5ED6F3E707D8 - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-8224A7C1112E0C72
The Wolf Among Us -- MB-D5EBEA15900413E4 - Taken by zkylon. 7 entrants total.

t1501744034z1.png

shockdude

Tekken 7 is currently $31.49 on GamersGate. I think I might jump on this.
Tekken 7 tempts me every day, but I know it'd just end up in the backlog so I'm simply waiting for a good price on both the game & the DLC. Especially if I can convince some friends (who don't play fighters) to get it as well.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The heat got so bad the fan on my GPU died, and I was forced to use my backup of a GTX 650. I'm now enjoying finding out what modern games that shouldn't work, that actually do.

DOOM looks awful and I have to mess with the FPS with VSynch, but it's playable.

Rhaknar

The heat got so bad the fan on my GPU died, and I was forced to use my backup of a GTX 650. I'm now enjoying finding out what modern games that shouldn't work, that actually do.

DOOM looks awful and I have to mess with the FPS with VSynch, but it's playable.

image.php

Ironic

preta

Is Cold Steel Valkreria Chronicles 2 level of boring santirized school bullshit?

No. Not at all. It absolutely maintains the spirit of the previous games, and while it's maybe not quite the best game in the series, it's absolutely a worthy entry in it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
In living up to my avatar, I actually did get my 1080 at half off.Got it off a company that bought them just to test against their own hardware and then had no use for it afterward.

Hmm, maybe that's why the fan died in a year's time.

Madventure

Scrooge didn't make his fortune buying whatever he wanted.

Says the Diggle in a suit

In living up to my avatar, I actually did get my 1080 at half off.Got it off a company that bought them just to test against their own hardware and then had no use for it afterward.

Toothpaste is just thicker thermal paste, Life pro-tip

Get the stuff with the breath strips in it for activated on demand cooling bursts!
(Please don't do this)

Oh I read that as they used it in random tests

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Once about 20 years ago I bought a PC at auction that was "damaged beyond all repair in a flood". This was a huge Gateway PC back when people thought those giant 4 foot tall towers were cool. The lower 3/4 of the whole thing (so about 3 feet of it at the bottom) was completely covered in sludge like it had been dropped in a river. I got it for super-duper cheap (I think around $10) with the intention of just using the case and scraping the rest.

I spent five or six hours cleaning up and getting all of the sludge off and thought to myself "I wonder if this is really as bad as it looks or if it could be salvaged?". I did some basic troubleshooting before replacing the memory module with a new one and it booted right up! The power supply must have been off when the flood hit, and obviously it had "dried out" for a week or more before I even got it.

I used it for 4 years until I passed it on to a friend of mine that needed a PC.

Bottom line: some PC components are tougher than you think they should be.

Sorry I know that's not helpful in your current situation, but I felt like sharing :)

So I've been playing more Unexplored, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it got a graphical overhaul recently. Compare these two Heroes and you'll notice something shocking:
That's right, the Hero now has an eyebrow. Unprecedented; I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

I've been trying to do a cloak-only run for an achievement/unlock, but it's tough. I got really close and achieved the goal once... in the wrong mode (so it didn't count) which, uh, was entirely my fault but still sucked. I will complete it eventually!
Once about 20 years ago I bought a PC at auction that was "damaged beyond all repair in a flood". This was a huge Gateway PC back when people thought those giant 4 foot tall towers were cool. The lower 3/4 of the whole thing (so about 3 feet of it at the bottom) was completely covered in sludge like it had been dropped in a river. I got it for super-duper cheap (I think around $10) with the intention of just using the case and scraping the rest.

I spent five or six hours cleaning up and getting all of the sludge off and thought to myself "I wonder if this is really as bad as it looks or if it could be salvaged?". I did some basic troubleshooting before replacing the memory module with a new one and it booted right up! The power supply must have been off when the flood hit, and obviously it had "dried out" for a week or more before I even got it.

I used it for 4 years until I passed it on to a friend of mine that needed a PC.

Sorry I know that's not helpful in your current situation, but I felt like sharing :)

...Wow. Here I am thinking that if I touch computer parts wrong it will be damaged beyond repair. Like, "oh god my finger slipped and now the computer's probably borked" levels of reflexive fear.

One day I'll get used to working with computer hardware... I hope.

(Also thanks for uncapitalising shaka brah in the title!)

Ascheroth

Managed to get in an hour and some of Cold Steel yesterday. I already feel right at home.

The music.
The IQ.
The performance.
The NPCs in town.
The music.

So good.

The dub is fantastic btw. I've watched an undub of the beginning on Youtube to compare, and there's like only one of the japanese voices I think I prefer over the dub equivalent so far (Alisa). On the other hand, I also now there's Koyasu later on....
But dubbed Sara alone is amazing and the additional voiced lines were already noticeable in the beginning, so I guess I'll stick with the dub.

Gonna restart on hard though, as I've heard normal is a cake-walk and hard is basically TitS on normal. It'll probably take me only a quarter of an hour to get back to where I was anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monooboe

...Wow. Here I am thinking that if I touch computer parts wrong it will be damaged beyond repair. Like, "oh god my finger slipped and now the computer's probably borked" levels of reflexive fear.

One day I'll get used to working with computer hardware... I hope.

I once had heating issues on my computer and had to have the side open, and I had to move something in the case, can't remember what but I had the computer on and I used a screwdriver, I tried to carefully do it but I slipped and slid the screwdriver across my GPU and heard a huge pang and yeah it totally fried... Funny thing though, I tried to play dumb and get it exchanged at the store but they no longer had the same model so after waiting a few weeks I got the next version of card instead.:D

How is Tacoma in terms of writing? Honestly after Edith Finch and it's incredibly real depiction of depression I'm not sure how much I want to deal with the normal nonsense.

You can start with Cold Steel and understand the vast majority of its story with no issues, but be aware that CS1 spoils a fairly major twist from Trails in the Sky SC (the second Sky game) and CS2 spoils several more from across the Sky trilogy. There's also some subtext in CS1 that you won't get without playing Sky first, and a late-game reveal will have less impact without context from Sky.

So I'd still recommend Sky as a better starting point, honestly. It employs the same experience-scaling system, so you won't have to grind much (if at all) there either.

Regardless of where you start though, it's a fantastic series.

Alright, I'm sold! A jrpg with an actual good story, characters and no grind? I cannot resist it.

I'm going to buy it during next sales or any bundle that has it. Will start with Sky like you recommended.

Thank you for the recommendation and explanation! Minus fire emblem, I haven't played a jrpg for years! I'm excited.

Wok

DrOyFKw.png

finished the first area in fidel, this game is rad

i kind of wish salsa would play it

i left that snake alive to tell the tale

Congrats, I have been stuck on that level (level #16) every time I have played it this far.

Since you know a bit about computer "cleaning", is there something I should regularly do to remove dust in my computer case? Sometimes, I read people do this kind of stuff, but I never do, and I'm worried it would ultimately lead to a component heating too much due to the dust.

Madventure

Congrats, I have been stuck on that level (level #16) every time I have played it this far.

Since you know a bit about computer "cleaning", is there something I should regularly do to remove dust in my computer case? Sometimes, I read people do this kind of stuff, but I never do, and I'm worried it would ultimately lead to a component heating too much due to the dust.

I know you didn't ask me but you can go to any hardware store/office supply/target/amazon and get some compressed air dusters and just go to town with it as long as you hold the fans in place so they don't spin freely while doing it

That's basically what I do at least every couple of months

Ascheroth

Alright, I'm sold! A jrpg with an actual good story, characters and no grind? I cannot resist it.

I'm going to buy it during next sales or any bundle that has it. Will start with Sky like you recommended.

Thank you for the recommendation and explanation! Minus fire emblem, I haven't played a jrpg for years! I'm excited.
Well, there's only one thing to say now:
Have fun!

kagamin

I'm enjoying running around Grancel again, I decided to open up the Junior Bracer Book too and ran through that a little, good times.

Wok

I was browsing my discovery queue, and about to skip a game which looked like a mobile port, when suddenly...

I know you didn't ask me but you can go to any hardware store/office supply/target/amazon and get some compressed air dusters and just go to town with it as long as you hold the fans in place so they don't spin freely while doing it

That's basically what I do at least every couple of months

Thanks. Do you use a compressed air duster only for the fans? Or do you use it for everything in the computer case, and mention holding the fans in place because it is necessary to effectively clean this component?

preta

Glad to hear it! It's honestly my favorite JRPG series - the writing and especially worldbuilding are virtually unparalleled, not to mention the excellent music. Be sure you do side quests and talk to NPCs, too - it's well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom