• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Jim Sterling gives Hellblade a 1/10 because he ran into a bug that impeded his progress. Instead of giving a heads up to a likely unaware developer, he eviscerates the game, that he was enjoying, with a terrible score.

Total Biscuit eviscerates the game for a mechanic that doesn't even exist.

Thanks Britain for bestowing these quality, thoughtful individuals on us.

Jim Sterling gives Hellblade a 1/10 because he ran into a bug that impeded his progress. Instead of giving a heads up to a likely unaware developer, he eviscerates the game, that he was enjoying, with a terrible score.

Jim Sterling is the worst.

So the Permadeath mechanic was not so bad after all. I might get the game during the holidays, hopefully with a discount.

kevin1025

Banned

It's things like this that make me not care about reviews. Review the game, not the bugs that person personally encountered. The worst part is, as you said, Jim enjoyed it up till then. He could have put up impressions and say that one day he'll maybe review it once that bug is fixed, but attaching a score to it feels disingenuous.

Edit:

Ah, that's more like it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Jadax

I don't see why individual reviews are such a big deal? I feel like you guys are just making it a big deal by constantly talking about them.

The game looks good.
The game is something I'd be interested in.
Checked open critic + steam reviews + meta to get an initial idea of what to expect.

All good? Buying and playing it. Who cares what a couple of 'reviewers' thought?

Tizoc

I don't see why individual reviews are such a big deal? I feel like you guys are just making it a big deal by constantly talking about them.

The game looks good.
Checked open critic + steam reviews + meta to get an initial idea of what to expect.

All good? Buying and playing it. Who cares what a couple of 'reviewers' thought?
Because they are reviewers that can influence the viewer

cyba89

The game looks good.

You check Meta+OC scores so you care what a couple of reviewers think.

Wok

Sometimes, I would ragequit after encountering a difficulty spike or a bug in a game (Kero Blaster, I'm looking at you). Knowing that it happened to a reviewer and he was so mad that he rated it 1/10 is a valuable piece of information. It does not mean people should not buy the game.

JarrodL

The game looks good.

They're not traditional reviewers, they're youtube personalities with millions of followers/subscribers who trust their opinions.

Jadax

You check Meta+OC scores so you care what a couple of reviewers think.

Not really, I probably didn't explain it too well in my original post - I just read opencritic to see what they liked about it and why. Actually, by the time I read reviews I've already decided to buy the game or not.

They're not traditional reviewers, they're youtube personalities with millions of followers/subscribers who trust their opinions.

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but reviewers in my opinion isn't even a thing for games or movies - there is absolutely no way a review isn't biased. The whole point of a review is to give your personal views about what you thought of the game or movie, and there itself I feel the whole concept falls flat. It's not like a rating system for software or hardware - where there's a clear set of criteria they must fulfil to get a certain rating.

I've just never really cared about game reviews - but at the same time I like to see what people enjoyed didn't enjoy - but not in the review sense. Confusing I know. Hard to explain.

And yep, youtubers/twitch personalities etc are well...we could go on for ages. They have their pros and cons.

Aaron D.

From what I understand the game auto-saved moments after he passed a torch that he was supposed to light (but didn't). That was the only save file and he couldn't progress the game further, so the save was essentially broken and all his progress up to that point lost.

That's kind of a big deal.

Anyway, he's since walked the score back and changed the Metacritic to Review In Progress. So I guess we'll see what happens.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
055644ed1ddbfeb90c584b998e3baadd.gif

High-Quality Steam Content™

I'm actually okay with this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Owlboy seems really good. Guess that's easier to say now when we (well I for sure) got it in some random bundle instead of paying 25€ for it or whatever silly price it was at launch.

I remember people being a little disapointed with it in the following weeks after launch, was it mostly the lenght (I know its on the short side, around 6 hours or so?) or was there something else "wrong" with it?

So far everything is pretty great, I just left the first village. The art is absolutely fantastic.

He's the worst worst not named Total Biscuit, yeah, for sure. No arguments there.

But if we're including worsts that are named Total Biscuit, I have to say that the worst goes to Total Biscuit, who is, indeed, the absolute fucking worst.

I don't think I've ever seen a single Total Biscuit video. But I don't like biscuits in general, so I'm inclined to agree with you.

Ascheroth

He's the worst worst not named Total Biscuit, yeah, for sure. No arguments there.

But if we're including worsts that are named Total Biscuit, I have to say that the worst goes to Total Biscuit, who is, indeed, the absolute fucking worst.
I'm kinda ambivalent towards Jim. On the one hand makes some good points occasionally, on the other hand I heavily disagree with some of his opinions, especially on curation.
I don't really care much either way and only learn about his videos if I glance at a Gaf thread about them, so...

Don't like TotalBiscuit much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom